[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was the point of this thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: rotomdexmap.jpg (19KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
rotomdexmap.jpg
19KB, 320x239px
what was the point of this thing
>>
>>32557811
I kinda like having the map always visible. the reason for it though was so that they could justify putting it in the anime so that they could have a plucky sidekick that the kids would eat up.
>>
>>32557811
To display a map that would help you navigate the area.
>>
to make you remember that we're done with the 3DS and second screens
>>
People bitched about no map for Lumiose, so they put in a more detailed Town Map present at all times because when they do things in reaction to consumer complaints they always go overboard.

My problem with it is the more detailed map and the quest marker thing made me think they might make things more open for the main adventure, because if you get lost, you could always easily consult that map and find your way back to the story, but there's never really any situation where you'd need it.
>>
>>32557811
I'm pretty sure they thought that having access to internet and EV training with a single click was too convenient, so they decided to make it a hassle.
>>
>>32557847
There isn't even a confusing area in SM besides the desert and that's intentional
>>
casualization.
>>
Rotom Dex was probably created moreso for the anime than the game; he's a much more major character in the anime
>>
Of all the games to have a quest marker, this is the one that really doesn't need it. The island structure makes areas smaller and more linear anyway. It does basically brace you for where the next cutscenes are though I guess.

The map part of it was fine. I liked that here despite the linear level design, and I liked it in ORAS too.
>>
>>32557847
Yeah, I thought it was going to mark where sidequests could be. Or maybe, since it's also the Pokedex, you could select a Pokemon you'd seen before, and there could be an arrow showing the direction of where you can find them in the wild. Or literally anything other than just show you where the game will stop you to show the next 20 minute plot cutscene.
>>
>>32557811
I loved the idea of having a map in the screen, but I hated the handholding every 5 seconds. They should let us mark stuff in that map in the future games.
>>
So you can explore without accidentally going to the story point
>>
>>32557847
>People bitched about no map for Lumiose
But there was a map.
>>
>>32558485
The fact that there are so many cutscenes that they have to put in something to help the player actively avoid them is a problem in and of itself.
>>
>>32558485
Explore what?
>>
>>32558485
That's exactly what I did. I avoided the red points at all costs, and only went to them when it was the last thing to do. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the game to be short at all at the beginning.
>>
>>32558514
>there are people who rush through the game, ignoring all side content, then complain that it's too short
I'll never understand these faggots
I got 70+ hours out of the game before I even beat the elite 4
>>
File: 1494992633645.png (199KB, 533x533px) Image search: [Google]
1494992633645.png
199KB, 533x533px
>>32557854
Pretty much this. While I like palego's more passive approach to EV training, shit takes way too long. Thanks to GF's no fun allowed, going and patching the glitch out. Yet then there's the fucking plaza, where no one ever wants to go, even the BW plaza was actually useful from time to time; but if you wanna do anything online you gotta go jump through those windows.

The thing I didn't like about XY's super training, was that is was one at a time, but it was at least fully disclosed on how much each run got you in EVs. The palego just throws 1-99, without really making it clear in how many exact EVs that is, so you gotta pop in and check on their summary from time to time.

all in all they could have had it just the same as XY for the online functions, with the map as an extra 'window' and it'd been fine.

>>32558514
Also this, I avoided the MQ like the plague, still up to the front door of the E4 and I've got my dex 75% done.
>>
With all the things that are actually wrong with the game, I think this is a weird thing to nitpick.
>>
>BIG BOY!

isn't that reason enough?
>>
>>32557811
merchandising
"LOL DUDE WHAT IF THE POKEDEX WAS YOUR COMPANION WE COULD SELL PLUSH TOYS OFF THE DEX DUDE"
>>
The thing I hated the most was losing the tracker of the Pokemon I caught in the area. Now I have to look up what Pokemon are where just to make sure i find it using the correct method
>>
>>32557811
to force you to listen to its annoying buzzy voice
>>
>>32558623

But it's one of the major things wrong with the game! An entire screen basically unused, when last Gen the bottom-screen PSS was easily the best Pokemon UI of all time.
>>
>>32558485
>implying you can "explore" in SM
>>
>>32557811
To give the bottom screen something to do until the Switch port.
>>
>>32558485
There's nothing to explore anyway. Usually you're blocked off exploring an area by an NPC and you're only really given the freedom to explore the island once you've beaten the Kahuna. And by the time you've beaten them, there's only really one little area that you haven't explored yet on each island (except Poni Island, where half of it is inaccessibly until you beat the Elite Four). Rotomdex would make sense if the game was very open-ended but it's even more railroaded than the previous games.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.