[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competitive Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

Considering I just got to top ten on the OU ladder, I figured I'd give some free advice from someone who actually knows someone.
I'd love to discus the current OU meta, I think it's really cleaned up.
>>
>>32552853
bump, cmon you retards are always complaining bout being stuck in ELO hell
>>
>>32552853
How do i git gud?
>>
>>32552853
>83.3%
hehhhhh...
>>
>>32552883
Have 5/6 of your team standard, and have one weird mon to throw them off.
Practice, and honestly, some people just are bad and never make good plays.
>>
How viable are rain teams at the moment?
Was always my favourite playstyle.
>>
>>32552945
Only one, huh? I got to 1500 in ORAS OU with a balance team and Trick/Flame Orb Heatom
>>
>>32552853
Good job, dude. People here have hit high strides before (pic related is me) but the thing is we're far and few -- people here on /vp/ don't often know what they're talking about when it comes to competitive and elect to remain ignorant more often than not (and unironically feed into verlis shit even), especially when considering our competitive general, /cpg/ got so many dead threads they eventually secluded themselves to a room on Showdown.

But to discuss OU, I think that it still has a ways to go. The OU Council has been slow in suspect roll-out and that's the main reason the meta's been stifled. Mega Meta's ban was the biggest step forward though so teambuilding is less constrained.
>>
>elo
>gxe
>glicko
What does that mean?
>>
>>32553011
I think something that has to do with their speed this time around is how the mega stones are being treated, what with the slow, periodic releases.
>>
>>32552853
I remember fuego.
>>
>>32553049
I thought it had more to do with spacing suspects to deter the ban-happy sentiment they feel like they're projecting considering how many broken things are running around that need to be addressed. I remember some people even started becoming reluctant about banning Mega Meta partway through the suspect because they were afraid it might set off a domino effect, yet that shouldn't be the thinking, since that'd always leave OU in shambles with broken mons running around.

Besides, things can always be retested if deemed permissible.
>>
>>32553039
Elo is your rating that goes up and down as you win and lose games. You start at 1000 (and can't go lower).

GXE is your estimated win rate, based on getting matched to a random player on the ladder, so it's represented as a percentage and becomes more accurate the more games you play.

Glicko is where your Elo is expected to cap out at based on how you play, and by cap out I mean where you're likely to dwell in terms of success (e.g. can't break 1700s but good enough to break 1600s).
>>
congrats op! i bow at your greatness. any vids you recommend to sharpen my skills
? i know types and moves, iv breeding, etc but i always seem to be beat....thanks!
>>
>>32553011
I agree with you 100% with that first part, and nice btw.
I'm getting mad at smogon for being so damn late with the usage stats. But even then I've seen some cool trends and unique teams to say its not the stiffest.
>>
>>32552853
how does posting a pic of the ladder prove that you're on it
>>
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Thunder Punch

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Outrage

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
>>
>>32553161
Because he posted it while logged in, silly. Look at the top right corner.
>>
>>32553161
Check the top right you dumb fuck.
>>32553163
Anyways, here's the team that I used to ladder. That hawlucha is GODLY. You can set up on so much, and acro and hj are really all you need. Thunderpunch is just fun synergy and helps just a bit, though ice punch or posion jab works well too.
Play agressively and almost always lead exadrill, toxic, sr, and spin in that order against lando.
>>
>>32553178
ok

>>32553179
you are rude and a gay nerd
>>
>>32553179
Also, for teambuilding, bulky banded zygarde is so easy to use and worthwhile once you get rid of Tangrowth. Nothing likes a thousands arrows, and its bulk is really something that you can rely on if you have to.
Best mon for teambuilding imo.
>>
>>32552853
Congrats on top 10 OP. I know a lot of "good players" shit on ladder, but I was proud when I first hit #1 on the ladder.

I was a pretty serious player and contributor for smogon in gen 5 and 6, but I guess I kinda grew out of it. I might get back to it during summer.

Would you say the meta fun easy to get into?
>>
>>32553163
>>32553179
>>32553196
You definitely have some interesting team choices. Mega Medi without Thunder Punch seems funny given Mega Sableye can punish any of your mons somehow, but I'm glad you did Jolly since so many mons take advantage of Ada's speed. Bulky Zygarde I assume is your Char-Y answer while maintaining an offensive presence, but I prefer mine Jolly (going back to how Ada Medi can be put down like that). I guess Thunder Koko has been working out for you. The Hawlucha set is awesome. I've been meaning to use one but I had in mind something less sweeper and more supportive, e.g. SD/Agility/Bulk Up + Pass, kinda like a Blaziken.
>>
>>32552869
>Bumps after 4 minutes of waiting
ADHD much?
>>
>>32552853
Is Fuego still /ourguy?
>>
>>32553163
>Excadrill

FUCK OFF WITH THE MEME MOLE
YOU SHOULD BE USING ALOLAN DUGTRIO IF YOU NEED A GROUND/STEEL TYPE

FAG
>>
>>32553216
Mix and mega suprisingly is pretty populated and really creative, so much fun and possibilities. Anything u make can be pretty broken and its a meta i liek to have fun with. Other than that, LC is hyper offensive and fun if u can get over the small levels.
>>
>>32553278
Mold breaker toxic on mega sab. Stall players NEVER see it coming, or they do but they want me burned for whatever reason idk. Same song and dance, and by then i usually have enough of a stride that mega sabe aint an issue.
>>32553320
*autism, but not really
>>
>>32553419
>>32553426
Sorry this is me, phoneposting like a queer rn

>>32553386
Exa used to be pretty shitty this gen, but i think its come full circle and is totally valid in ou.
>>
>>32553426
I mean yeah there's that but has no one ever Heal Bell'd on you afterwards with Clef/Chansey?
>>
>>32553419

I love Mix and Mega, What´s your thinking about it?

Meganium with Venusaurite really tanks a lot of fucking hits with.
>>
>>32553440
They have, but with this team and Hawlucha setting up or whatever other momentum i get from the turn theh have to waste, at that point sabelye is not a problem.
>>32553565
Just have fun with it man. So much fun and diversity, see I never even heard of that meganium set but i bet it works fine.
I think that the pidegotite is cancerous tho, with shaymin sky its OP.
Some staples are Gloicipod with blue orb and Mimiku with metagrossite, the latter with swords damcd and stabs is the perfect late game sweeper
>>
I have only made one team that gets wins how to OU
>>
>>32553690
Teambuilding is half the battle, and experience is going to help you be the best judge on what you should put on teams.
Find out the mons you like using, and that for you personally are successful. Make a team with those staples and work with it so its balanced; do you have a good psychic resist? How fast is your team? Do you have hazard control?
Theres a million questions and you cant answer them all. Just build and rebuild until you think you have a team that amswers the most questions.
>>
>>32553690
>>32553750
Lastly, use OU staples and the staple sets and first, then you can find mons that you can wriggle in and maybe even doing better.
Hell I used Hawlucha, and its the star sweeper of my team. Experiment once once when you get to the 1600s, as striking gold with a unique mon and set is the easiest way to get to top 10.
>>
>>32552853
What's your HONEST opinions on the Tapu and Genies regarding the game balance?
>>
>>32553386
>EVERYONE ALWAYS NEEDS TO USE THE SAME POKEMON
>>
>>32552853
I was thinking about running Mamoswine, since it's pretty antimeta, and I decided to pair it with Tapu Koko to bait in the likes of Marowak and Tangrowth. Any suggestions where to go from there?
>>
>>32552853
OP, what are the most common mistakes made by your opponents?
>>
>>32552853
>think it's really cleaned up.
>literally only stall and BP is viable
lmao
>>
I've been trying to get into competitive (albeit VGC, though there isn't a thread for that right now so I might as well post it here), and I've come to the conclusion I don't understand (the importance of) base stats.

Take Lycanroc-midnight for example.
It's base stats make it look like it's Attack is usually higher than it's HP. However, at level 100 (as pictured here, and 50 as well), It's HP is higher. How's this work? Sure, the stat distribution by level up usually differs, but I've seen people go for base stats in a "one size fits all" manner that I'm not sure how to digest this information. Does this mean that when deciding whether a mon is "bulky", "offensive", "defensive" or whatever I should look at it's level 50 stats instead of the base stats? Why are the base stats featured so prominently on bulbapedia and showdown, then, instead of level 50/100 stats? Should I base my EV spreads on the level 50/100 stats or the base stats?
>>
>>32552883
stall
>>
>>32556313
At Level 100 HP is determined by doubling the base stat adding 110 and then adding the ivs ( except for sheninja). Every other stat is determined by doubling the base stat and adding 5 + the ivs. It literally doesn't matter if you look at base stat, level 50, or level 100. Just look at whatever stats bigger and decide from there. If a poke has high attack and speed but low defensives common sense should tell you how to run it.
>>
>>32556448
Ah, that makes more sense, thank you. So it basically doesn't matter except possibly for HP.
>>
>>32556330
Stall does give easy wins on the low ladder. Once you pass 1400~ elo most good players can slap stalls shit.
>>
Which is the best counter to Ash-greninja?

Several times I was stupid enough to let it transform and it always takes with it at least 2 of my pokemon.
>>
>>32553614
Don't forget Salamencite Noivern.
Another really fun gimmick is Weather Ball Red Orb Froslass.
>>
>>32556578
AssVest Tangrowth
>>
>>32556578
Most bulky water types with reliable recovery can deal with it easily (barring consecutive flinches or something).

Mantine, Milotic, Gastrodon, Alomomola, Toxapex

Run em with enough SpDef
>>
>>32553376
yes
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.