[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Gamefreak keep treating Ice as if it were a defensive typing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: 028Sandslash-Alola.png (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
028Sandslash-Alola.png
1MB, 1280x1280px
Why does Gamefreak keep treating Ice as if it were a defensive typing?
>>
>>32551873
Gamefreak's fucking retarded, thats why.
>>
>>32551874
>It only took 28 seconds for someone to reply to this thread with that.
That's impressive, honestly.
>>
>>32551873
because "muh block of ice" design meme.
>>
>>32551873
No idea
>>
Gamefreak doesn't want to nerf dragon types too hard after they already took a hit from fairy. That's why we haven't had a good ice type for about 3 gens
>>
File: 455.png (55KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
455.png
55KB, 211x239px
>>32551873
At least the steel type give it just 3 weakness and a lot of resistances. Give it hail to transform him in cold blooded murder
>>
Sandslash is a defensive Pokemon; its highest stat is base 110 defense. Of course the Alolan for is also going to be defensive. Alolan Sandslash is also Steel-type, which makes the high defense even more legitimate.

Blame Game Freak for choosing to make an Alolan Sandslash that is part Ice-type, because that is more of the issue here.
Look at Alolan Ninetales: that thing is frail, but then again so was the original.
>>
>>32551974
Coldsteel the Sandslash? I like it.
>>
http://www.smogon.com/articles/shafted-by-design

interesting article that lays out the advantages and flaws ice types face due to the design of the type chart, worth a read for competitives and karenfags alike.
>>
Because real logic states that ice is sold and very hard

Real life also states that Ice melts with relative ease.
>>
>>32552613
Holy shit I didn't realize how badly Ice gets fucked over on every possible level.
>>
Take out rock and fighting weakness
Those make no sense
>>
>>32552860
If Fighting can punch through sheet Rock and solid Steel it can sure as fuck punch through Ice.
Rock is a bit weird, but then people use Rock Salt to remove ice from roads and shit so eh.

The trouble is that you can't fix Ice through defensive improvements alone, you'd basically need to completely overhaul every aspect of the type to remove it from the shit heap.
>>
>>32552848
You could fix Ice just by widening their movepools and making them fast and strong but Gamefreak keeps refusing to do it.
>>
>>32551873
Ice should be defensively weak to water, fire, steel and fighting. It should be offensively strong against grass, poison, bug, and fire. It should be immune to ice.
>>
>>32551873
if only there was an ability that A-Sandlash could use to double its speed under a certain weather condition...
>>
Make ice resist ground and take Nuetral damage from fighting types, also make avalugg steel type too now you have a good ice type and a ice type fix.
>>
>>32552959
>Ice Head, 80 BP Physical Ice Move with 100 Accuracy and a 30% flinch rate, with similar distribution as Iron Head, wider distribution among Ice Types
>Hail now boosts the Speed of Ice Types by 1.5x
Did I do it?
>>
>>32553004
>502 speed max
If only Weavile didn't hit 523 with a scarf, and didn't have better moves, and couldn't come out whenever instead of being based around Hail, and didn't hit harder, and didn't wear a fabulous poncho.
>>
>Make Bug SE on and resist fairy, neutral on ghost and poison
>make ice resist fairy, water, ground, and dragon
>make rock resist ground, electric
>make electric neutral or SE on steel

Would this fix everything?
>>
BECAUSE DESIGNS COME FIRST

Game Freak admitted that Aegislash was the first Pokémon in the history of the franchise that was designed with competative stats/typing/moves in mind.

That was 2013. GEN FUCKING SIX.

The normal design process is drawing what looks like a neat typing, and the attributing to it appropriately.

They just keep drawing bulky iceberg motherfuckers like Avalugg, so they then apply appropriate typing and stats too it.

Simple as that.
>>
I think Ice is too OP
How do we nerf it?
>>
>>32554816
>Make Bug SE on and resist fairy, neutral on ghost and poison

Fairy nerfs u turn, fairies commanded bugs to their bidding in several myths, the fairfolk were above them, heck some fairies even commanded dragons just to show off.

>>make ice resist fairy, water, ground, and dragon

Ice resisting ground and fairy fits, I resisting dragon could have worked.

But ice resisting water, this is the moment you lost me. Heat Capacity, learn about that property you retard.

Ice cannot resist water, it's the freaking main property of water and the whole fucking reason life as we know it exists in this planet.

>>make rock resist ground, electric

Rock needs a better offensive move and better base speed, rock can't resist ground you idiot, that's the whole concept behind their separation, also most rocks interact with electricity, so they can't resist it.

First with ice, now with rock, stop going full retard.

>>make electric neutral or SE on steel

Electric us already neutral, there is no point on SE, you are just buffing bolt beam by making electric super effective on steel.

No you just went full retard, you don't have to change the whole fucking chart, also learn some fucking shit man, it is painful to read all the idiots that don't understand about fairfolk or are stupid enough to think ice of all things should resist water.
>>
>>32554877
There are plenty of type relationships that make less sense concepually then what I propose here, my propsal was mainly for gameplay
>>
>>32554821
Whenever I think of a fakemon, the design is usually the last thing I think about. It just feels like making it function well is more important.
>>
>>32554726
No, but it's a small step forward. People keep trying to dump all these type changes on Ice-types but really all they need is a bigger movepool and to be fast and strong.
>>
A-Sandslash is 100% an offensive pokemon though, despite its awful stat distribution.
You're supposed to use him as a poor man's Excadrill with slush rush.
>>
>>32551873
>posts an offensive Pokémon
>>
>>32552726
>ice is sold
How much you sellin'?
>>
>>32554877
>fairies commanded bugs to their bidding in several myths
Name two.
>>
>>32552726
What yer offer?
>>
>>32554937
>slow, frail ice-type
>>
>>32554951
The Sidhe controlled bugs in several Irish songs, the most Christian or modern fairy would be the Utburds and their following iterations, dead babies that become fairies and are often signaled by a parade of insects near another infant bedroom, they are the messengers of the Utburds who will come and take a life to satiate their revenge.

Bonus point for the silk Road "Bouche" who was said to scare horses with sudden clouds of flies to force the caravans to fall on ravines where they would feed on the bones of the animals and humans.

There are some instances of the Lehannan Sidhe using insects to lure a husband.
>>
>>32554982
>slow
>>
>>32551873
>posts an offensive ice type
>during a generation that introduced mostly offensive ice types and not defensive ones
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>32554994
It is slow, unless you have a Ninetales to set up the worst weather in the game by far.
>>
Just give Ice 2-3 resistances so that defensive Ice mons can work, you don't need to make it a sweeper only type you dumb fucktards.
Make it resistant to ground, flying and maybe normal since it's supposed a hard, solid type along with rock and steel.
In fact this way there would be a "hardness scale" for types that is easy to remember.
Ice < Rock < Steel
Each one supereffective against those lower on the hardness scale, Ice is lowest but is resistant to ground as opposed to the others and high offensive potential, Steel is hardest and has the most resistances, Rock is balanced between the extremes.
All resistant to normal and flying.
Also the concept ties in nicely with the Regi trio, the weakest legendary group in dire need of buffs and better representation.
>>
>>32555032
>resistance to ground and flying
Would make my dick rock hard using mamoswine to totally and utterly blow landorus the fuck out.
>>
All Ice needs is more resistances. They should make it resist Fairy and Flying. Having Ice as its only resistance is appalling.
>>
>>32551974
It gave it few weaknesses but the main issue is they are all 3 of the most used offensive STAB and coverage move types and its 4x weak to two of them.

Thankfully it has slush rush and can have a hail setter like A-Ninetails put down an Aurora veil to help it in the casual fights.

>>32555032
Hell when fairy was first revealed I was honestly hoping Ice would at least resist Fairy to give it something.
>>
>>32551874
/thread
>>
Why does Gamefreak keep treating Steel as if it were an offensive typing?
>>
>>32555958
/me unzips katana
>>
>>32551877
>23:14:43
>23:15:15
>28 seconds
>>
>>32551974
Ice/Steel a shit as they share a lot of weaknesses.
>>
>>32553001
>Ice
>Strong against fire

What
>>
>>32556048
Yeah but it is a great typing to counter all the Dragon-types that don't learn Fire-type or Fighting-type moves
...or Earthquake.
>>
File: lmao.jpg (8KB, 220x200px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
8KB, 220x200px
>>32554742
>Scarf Weavile
also moving the goalpost a lil bit too much there
>>
>>32556060
There is literally one fully evolved Dragon-type that can't learn any Fire/Fighting/Ground moves and it takes neutral damage from ice.
>>
>>32556074
Kingdra, right?
>>
>>32556116
Yep.
>>
File: 1390606011783.png (692KB, 793x887px) Image search: [Google]
1390606011783.png
692KB, 793x887px
>>32552613
That was a fun read.
>>
>>32556074
Yeah, but Latias would never run Earthquake so I guess that means that there are ~1.5 fully-evolved dragons that don't hit Sandslash-A for supereffective damage.

Unless you count Hidden Power as a Fighting- or Fire-type move. In which case there are 0.
>>
Steel/Ice type is "good" because it removes the rock weakness.
>>
>>32552888
Wuth that logic, every type, even normal, should be super effective on ice types because "lol, anyone can break through ice xD"
>>
>>32556232
This is only applicable if you're playing hyper offense in low ladder and switch him in on rocks turn 2.
>>
>>32551873
>erma gerd, ice types are not made for offence
>Posts Coldsteel the Edgehog
>Could kill you in the blink of an eye
>This is meant to prove OP's point
>>
>>32552888
Nice trips, rock beating ice kind of makes sense to me, rock is typically heavy and ice is typically fragile, of course that logic would make less sense when the representations of ice type are actually bulky
>>
>>32551973
They could have nerfed dragon without adding fairies
>>
It's because muh mighty glacier meme
>>
Here's what I don't get-
So many water mons can learn a multitude of ice type moves in one way or another, but so few ice mons can learn so few water type moves.

Why suck a discrepancy?
>>
>>32556742
Just cause. Honestly that is all I have to explain that shit.
>Water is melted Ice, so logically Water learning Ice moves make sense, as does Ice learning Water moves
>But then, only a few Ice types learn Water moves
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.