[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 67

File: arcanine.png (69KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
arcanine.png
69KB, 250x250px
>Nobody made a new thread edition

Discord: https://discord.gg/HfWa4Dg
IRC: irc.rizon.net #romhacking

Rom hacking
>Notable romhacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Making a romhack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP
>Gen 4-6 hack tools: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Disassemblies: https://github.com/pret/pokered https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal https://github.com/pret/pokeruby

RMXP/Essentials
>Engine: http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD
>Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki
>Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
>WIP Gen 5 tiles: http://imgur.com/a/CiudS

Places to share fangames:
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/
>http://reliccastle.com/
>>
Anyone else having regional variants in their project? How many?
>>
dead.bmp
>>
I'd really like to use the gen 4 (preferably HGSS) sound effects in my game but where the hell do I find them? There's no downloads anywhere. Anyone here know anything? Could I rip them myself, even?
>>
>>32508764
You can sample anything you put your mind to anon.
>>
>>32508787
But I don't want to sample random old sound effects. I want the gen 4 sounds because they're well-made and fit the art well. If there's no way to get the gen 4 sounds I could always use the gen 5 sounds if they're anywhere at all?
>>
File: 1494411087559.gif (27KB, 199x203px) Image search: [Google]
1494411087559.gif
27KB, 199x203px
>>32508764
Just the other day I made a thread in Gbatemp asking for some advice. I didn't get far but you're free to pick up the scraps. I've contacted someone whose "No BGM patch" has been down for a long time - hopefully this dude will reply and maybe lend a hand.

If this goes through, I'll create a video such as this with Gen IV animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcj7FiWYdoI

And also record other misc. sound effects and two-frame animations, because I'm starting to code them for my game.

GL to us, I guess.
>>
>>32503850
No idea if you're still here GSC music anon but I got to last thread too late.

Your stuff is pretty good and I think you have really good instincts as to what things should sound like. Making a newer track sound good in the constrained rules of the previous games is always gonna be hard just by nature of the thing and I think you do a good, fairly consistent job at making stuff sound good regardless of that.

My largest criticism after listening to some of your stuff is that a lot of it feels very frontloaded on first listen to me, where games like GSC tend to have really rich and prominent countermelodies, percussion, and basslines; for instance, I think your Mt. Chimney is really good and even feels like something that could be in the original games because that intense bass and countermelody are preserved, while I think the bassline, counterpoints and percussion track in a song like Hoenn Gym Leader kind of get a little lost. That's just my two cents though.

Can I ask how you make these/what software and materials you use?
>>
>>32508316
I'm planning to but only came up with Fire/Rock Geodude
>>
pumb
>>
>>32508840
>another regional Geodude
come on dude at least use Roggenrola or something
>>
>>32509655
No Im using Roggenrola for my region! Use something else :^)
But seriously, what typing would a regional variant for Roggenrola's line be? Ovra is full on musical. Virtually everything in the region from character names to route names have to do with music and sound.
I'm thinking Roggenrola would be Rock/Steel? Or Rock/Electric like full on Rock star? Maybe it gets an ability that boosts Sound based moves and give it Boomburst and Hyper Voice?
Or an ability that turns Normal moves into Rock Moves?
>>
>>32510114
Mono Steel Xylophon-esque thingie, gets Sonic Boom and Hyper Voice (dude Boomburst is too strong to figgle your finger giving it to every "sound" Pokémon)
>>
>>32510125
Jajaja I agree with the Boomburst thing. I see that now.
>>
>>32510114
What a coincidence I have my own regional Roggenrola. It's Rock/Psychic and made from a plot relevant mineral with magic properties and has mixed stats all around with Trace and Protean with an xbox hueg TM/Tutor movepool. Don't worry, it's still slow so no Greninja tier shit going on.
>>
Bump

Anyone feels like sharing their planned dex? I want to compare type %s.
>>
What is something you wish you knew about Essentials? Simple or hard, just ask. There's knowledgeable people in 'ere. (Just fucking bump)
>>
>>32511475
Is it weird that my memory the best sex of my life, the best pussy ever, is with a 14 year old from 2011? I was sixteen.
>>
>>32511959
Like I distinctly remember the warm, slick, velvety feel of a 14 year old's vagina. But when I look at girls that age now, it's like looking at a child.
Just saying it's weird how perception changes like that.
>>
>>32511959
>>32511991
Have sex before your GED all you want, but never - never call a 14 year old vagina velvety again.

Also, yes, sex sims in Essentials are possible.
No, nobody's ever made one.
>>
>>32512438
Auburn Grad, but nice try though.
;)
OKAY maybe velvety was the wrong word.
How about silky?
I still talk to her now. She's a bitch though.
>>
>>32512727
I'm was just saying sex before high school is always a mistake, because potential children.

silky is much better.
>>
>>32512438
Wizard detected
>>
>>32512757
I honestly wish I waited till marriage.
>>
File: house.png (111KB, 638x671px) Image search: [Google]
house.png
111KB, 638x671px
I remade my first city based on some anon reviews on the last thread. R8 pls?
>>
>>32512770
So you can blow one stroke and she spends the rest of the honeymoon fucking thr natives of Jamaica?
Nah senpai-o. Know thy stroke.
>>
File: 1494554342355.png (61KB, 638x687px) Image search: [Google]
1494554342355.png
61KB, 638x687px
>>32512792
Looking good. Suggestions: make the bottom path 3 tiles wide like the rest; lower those bottom roofs so you can exit the PC and Mart (important buildings) without being hidden behind something; and add some kind of sideways stairs to the lab's plateau, because right now it looks physically impossible. Otherwise, very nice: good use of decorative details, and it doesn't feel too crowded or too empty.
>>
File: konekushon.png (4KB, 128x107px) Image search: [Google]
konekushon.png
4KB, 128x107px
>>32512792
That's looking really nice! I agree with all of what the other anon said. You have a nice decorating sense.

Nitpick time

There are tile errors to the left of the Poke Mart, above the lake, to the top-right of the Pokemon Center, and I can't quite tell, but it seems like there're shading errors with the bottom-left bunch of trees. There is also a physical impossibility on the rock where the Gym is (the right rock is simultaneously below and on the Gym's rock), and another one down further.

This is just a personal thing, but I don't like the tops of the trees above the gate. I think they look so stubby and fake without the rest of the tree.

I think the orange-roofed house looks a bit too thin. It's too thin to be a house, but too short and not of the right appearance to be something like a high-rise. Does that make sense, or am I being retarded? I would suggest expanding it, sort of like the FR/LG Pallet Town houses, but you could try shrinking it down, too. Or something completely different.

I like the idea with the lab, but I think you should try to make it look like they're actually connected. Pic related. (If you remove the gridlines, I could provide a much better edit for you.)

Having the bright grass in front of houses abruptly end like that is kinda jarring. Pic related.

8.75/10 Just fix the errors and it's good!
>>
File: lapis-coral_map_tohjo.png (2MB, 4943x7925px) Image search: [Google]
lapis-coral_map_tohjo.png
2MB, 4943x7925px
Haven't posted here in a while, been reworking some of my older maps and finally added a new city to the north.

For all the cities so far, I had a map to base it off of that I drew when I was like 10, but now I've used all of those and I actually have to think of new layouts instead of relying on decade old concepts.
>>
File: 1494193323156.png (178KB, 1088x1407px) Image search: [Google]
1494193323156.png
178KB, 1088x1407px
>>32513574
Alright, more Gen 2 maps!

The whole trek north from Bloomingbud looks good, with Game Freak-style mapping and map connections instead of gatehouses. I like the flower boxes in Bannaga City, too.

Bannaga and Riverside have the same roofs; and I may have said this before, but original roof colors (and even tiles) would really help if feel like a new region.

Riverside uses G/S's traditional building tiles. How about Crystal's instead? They have windows and improved roofs.

Is Riverside supposed to be north of Route Paradise? The river would be more fun if you could actually navigate it; maybe use a waterfall so you can go south but not north, if you need a roadblock.

Route 28 looks too similar to, er, Route 28. Or is it supposed to be the Kanto/Johto one? Same goes for Route 27 (although if it's supposed to be the one connecting Kanto and Johto, what happened to New Bark Town?) If it *is* supposed to be the same, that explains why you named your region Tohjo. Cool idea. Although, the Town Map doesn't look like a real land mass.

If you edit the Town Map, can you post one with labeled routes+cities?

Oh, just so you know, you're the second person developing a Gen 2 hack named Coral. Pic related is the other one, from the previous /heg/ thread. (For a minute I was wondering how both maps fit together.)
>>
Does anybody know if there's a (not) real time clock for romhacking use? I want to use something like harvest moon time. It exists for essentials, but
>essentials

I feel like it will immerse you in the game better and give me more freedom to add seasonal variations, but every time someone asks on pokemcommunity it's all anti-flash carts. Like shit, nigga, I don't give a fuck about flash carts.
>>
Is this the wrong place to request hacked pokemon?
>>
>>32514059
yes
>>
>>32513574
>>32513687
Yo. Other Coral guy here. What you have looks good and you seemingly have more than me done. Good luck on your stuff.
>>
File: map_tohjo_complete_4_labeled.png (2MB, 4943x7925px) Image search: [Google]
map_tohjo_complete_4_labeled.png
2MB, 4943x7925px
>>32514127
Thanks, your map looks really good as well, Gen.II really doesn't get enough attention (hacking wise). Good luck with yours as well.

>>32513687
Thanks. I changed the roofs in Bannaga and tried Crystal's tiles and you're right, they look better. I've been using the name 'Lapis and Coral' for maybe about 8 years, and its really just one long name now instead of two separate games, so I see no issue if multiple people are using Coral, I'm sure others have used it before.
>>
File: map_region_connection.png (32KB, 735x1046px) Image search: [Google]
map_region_connection.png
32KB, 735x1046px
>>32513687
>>32514219
So Route Paradise/Sunso are a post-game area, kinda Sevii Island feeling or whatever, on the island in the middle. (Parts of) Kanto and Johto are post-game as well, directly south of Tohjo that you originally reach by cave, and later by rail, coming out at Tohjo Falls.
>>
File: old_drawings.png (2MB, 1310x1061px) Image search: [Google]
old_drawings.png
2MB, 1310x1061px
>>32513687
Oh yeah, and the reason it doesn't look like a real land mass is because like I said, I designed it when I was 10, and this game is basically me fulfilling the game concept younger me planned a decade ago.
>>
>>32514288
shine on, you crazy diamond
>>
>>32514233
That doesnt make sense because Sinnoh is supossed to be above Johto. Not even Serebii gets it right what the fuck.

t. Someone who wanted to make a "Sinjoh" region.
>>
>>32514589
I mean, technically its above Johto, just like really far above. Anyway, I think I created this before HGSS and the Sinjoh stuff.
>>
File: Julie_Head_600.png (136KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Julie_Head_600.png
136KB, 600x600px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/battle-rival

>yfw don't need track art because avatar is also rival
>>
Can someone just fucking make me a HG patch with all BGM muted? I just want to rip SE and BGS ; ;

There has to be someone that knows their way around NDS rom hacking in here.
>>
File: how the fuck do stairs work.png (82KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
how the fuck do stairs work.png
82KB, 544x544px
I can't for the life of me figure out how to do stairs that work in RMXP, i.e. stairs that actually function like stairs by moving diagonally (that you don't just walk over horizontally without the illusion of depth - does this make any sense?).

Pic related, anyone have any pointers?
>>
>>32515886
You have to make an event that moves the player right+up if facing right (in this picture) and otherwise it moves him left+down. It kind of works but it's buggy, especially with following Pokémon/characters.
>>
>>32514233
>>32514219
It would be cool if there was some sort of map above Riverside reachable by going north or south along the river. Either it can be reached when you get surf or later when you get whirlpool or something.
>>
File: come on nigga.png (86KB, 180x276px) Image search: [Google]
come on nigga.png
86KB, 180x276px
Would it be possible to import Minish Cap's soundfont? I much prefer it to the default.
>>
>>32515904
Yeah, thanks. I got it working and fine-tuned so it looks and works quite smoothly using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ltLqYNXn8

But now my stair tiles look a bit weird. Looking at the default FRLG tileset, I reckon it's because the cliff tiles I'm using aren't tall/steep enough.
>>
>>32516176
>default FRLG tileset
there are approximately 0 east/west facing stairs in gen 3, that's why it doesn't work or look good.
>>
>>32516232
>0 east/west facing stairs in gen 3
Actually had to check as I could've sworn there'd be at least one, but wow you're right.

Still, I'm sure having full sized cliffs instead of the ones used in my tileset would make diagonal movement work and look better due to higher elevated areas being exactly one tile above, instead of what seems to be 60% of a tile higher than ground level in >>32515886
>>
>>32515904
>>32516232
>>32516262
How is it meant work? What does the camera do? Does it like, raise the camera while the player is walking, or something? I can't quite grasp it without a video.

I can code it if I understand it.
>>
What game's aesthetics inspired your own? Surely if you want to make a say, Gen V game, you've probably played a Gen V game that made an impression. What's your story?

I swear I'm the only one trying to bring discussion up and not let this thread get desu'd, and nobody even replies seriously ; ;
>>
>>32516464
I wanted to make a game that makes you feel the same feeling that Johto does in GSC, but has more updated features and interesting new locations.
>>
>>32516513
In a sense, we're the same! I'm trying to replicate a comfy Heart Gold feel, but I haven't decided whether to go with Gen 3 or Gen 4 overworld graphics (I'm an Essentialsfag). I'm leaning towards Gen 3 because it's easier to make my own graphics anyway.
>>
File: sidestairs.webm (1MB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sidestairs.webm
1MB, 1436x1080px
>>32516406
It works like this
>>
>>32516586
Hey, that's alright. I guess there's no need for coding.
>>
>>32516464
Gen IV (HG/SS specifically) and other fan games with similar aesthetics - also an essentialsfag.

Gen II is just the best though, can't wait to see what the coral boys create
>>
File: SneaselWIP.gif (13KB, 93x88px) Image search: [Google]
SneaselWIP.gif
13KB, 93x88px
These are F U N to code.

Not 100% finished, but I'll let it sit for a while.
>>
>>32516725
Are these gen IV animations for Essentials?
>>
>>32516513
Oh like HeartGold and SoulSilver?
>>
File: 044.png (17KB, 160x80px) Image search: [Google]
044.png
17KB, 160x80px
>>32516739
Yeah! The actual sprite looks like this, but I employ some code magic to animate it.
>>
>>32516781
That's pretty cool.
I don't know if you were going to write animations for every Pokémon, but there's really like 14 or so different animations.
You could make a couple and just assign them to different Pokémon.
>>
>>32516886
For now, when I'm done creating the 200*4(backsprites, shinies, females, forms) spritesheets for the entire dex I'll focus on making more but yeah, making one for each Pokémon would be too much as backsprites have their own animation, too. I'll end up making a few default ones and shuffle them.

I think the result is worth the time investment.
>>
>>32516886
What I read that wrong, there are that few? Yeah, I was going to make one for most Pokémon, but I've never noticed there are that few. Whoa, I've got to check my emu's Heart Gold .sav sometime.
>>
>>32516886
hey Dimby im messing with ebs but i dont understand how are the pokemon sprites positioned, it doesnt use "pbPositionPokemonSprite" so i dont understand
can you help? what lines should i look at?? when the player sends their pokemon out, how is it positioned?? thanks im confused
>>
>>32516958
Are you using add-ons from Luka SJ?
Try positioning sprites using the tool named "positioner" located in the root of your project folder
>>
File: piki.png (22KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
piki.png
22KB, 640x576px
Sorry I keep posting this, but I keep finding things to tweak. This is the current version of my Trainer Battle theme.

http://picosong.com/MVVV/

Thoughts and critiques would be appreciated.
>>
File: inochav1.png (67KB, 1470x923px) Image search: [Google]
inochav1.png
67KB, 1470x923px
Thoughts on a China/SE Asia inspired region? Used to work on a such a project with a team but it flunked because they were lazy bastards. Bringing back the old map to see if people would be interested.
>>
>>32517993
Sounds really interesting. Did you produce anything else aside from the map?
>>
>>32517022
i really like it
>>
I just started prism without ever playing brown. Should I go ahead and play that first?
>>
>>32516054
That'd be interesting. Funnily enough Fire Red is very similar though not exact.
>>
I have an regional variant of Cactike and Cacturne that is Grass/Psychic instead of Grass/Dark. The theme is peyote and desert tripping. Like full on psychedelic shit. What's a good ability to assign to them? Effect Spore? Or should I just try to create an ability that better fulfills the mind trip theme? Like some shit that causes confusion upon contact?
>>
>>32519217
Hrm... How do any of these sound?
>Psychic Surge
>Unaware
>Flower Veil
>Triage
>Magic Bounce
>>
File: Brown.png (4KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
Brown.png
4KB, 160x144px
>>32518800
Brown is pretty good and Prism is supposed to be a sequel to Brown.

http://www.romhacking"dot"net/hacks/134/
>>
>>32517993
Reminds me of IAPL. I miss that pipedream of a project. Was fun.
>>
>>32519217
>Cactike
What is that?
>>
File: regelectric.png (98KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
regelectric.png
98KB, 600x600px
>>32518398
I had one guy put out a few Fakemon designs - our grass starter was a fruit bat that evolved into various fruit (banana-->strawberry-->durian), fire starter was a calf with a wick for a tail that evolved into an ox with a cannon on its back, and an electric eel that resembled an oarfish with a regal theme going on.

I did a lot of the map design, writing, and storyboarding. Only reason the project never picked up is because our spriter got lazy.
>>
File: sewkura.png (201KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sewkura.png
201KB, 1000x1000px
>>32520246
Also this regional bug, based on silkworms/silkmoths.
>>
>>32519603
Lol Cacnea. Shit.
>>32519281
And I was thinking something that fucks your shit up upon contact.
Think I'll go with the confusing upon contact after all. Shouldn't be to hard to do.
>>
So I'm trying to come up with a hack that contains delta species Pokemon following only Pokemon released in the TCG involving them like Holon Phantoms, Crystal Guardians, and Dragon Frontier.

However I don't exactly know how I want to utilize them.
For what I do know, I plan on using every Pokemon released in those set's minus the occasional two deltas for the same Pokemon, mostly taking out some Electric/Steel Deltas.

I can go three directions with the Pokemon that I am using.

1. I can either add a regular variant for every delta species there are
2. Not do #1 and just leave the Delta species alone without regular variants unless there is one specifically in one of those sets.
3. Just mix #1 and #2 to my liking having some Deltas have regular variants and some not.

What do you guys think? I have 98 Pokemon so far and 72 Deltas making up 170 total not counting the regular variants. Do you like the idea of a Pokemon game having certain Pokemon in game without their original types or no?
>>
>>32520462
you can justify it by calling pokemon that don't have the non-delta variants "foreign species" or "imports."
>>
Thinking of making a Crystal hack making all Pokemon catchable in sensible ways, unlike emu edition, without any other fluff.
I'm just not sure what to do with the legendary birds as well as Mew. For the birds I two ideas. Number one would be to have them in Johto accessible after the eight badge. Articuno in a new area in the Ice Path accessible only by waterfall and Moltres in victory road. Not sure where to put Zapdos in this scenario.
The other idea would be to put them in Kanto, with extended Seafoam Islands for Articuno like HGSS did it. Moltres might land in Mt. Silver or Victory road here. Again, no idea what to do with Zapdos. I don't wanna have it just hang out in front of the power plant like in HGSS.
No idea what to do with Mew yet.

Which idea for the placement of the birds do you think is better? Also let me know of any ideas for placement of Mew and Zapdos.
>>
File: 7.png (102KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
102KB, 266x200px
>>32508837
Sorry for not replying, I didn't check for a new thread after the old one archived.
That's a very reasonable criticism and I actually agree. I think my songs have a varying level of quality due to my insistence on accuracy. Mt. Chimney is one of my personal favorites out of what I've done specifically because it sounds both accurate to the original and something that could fit in vanilla GSC. I think that's mostly a matter of the original composition being so fitting, though, since it never has more than three important parts going on at once. I've considered trying to forgo accuracy and change parts up to fit 8-bit limitations before but I don't think I'm experienced enough in composition to do so. When my backlogs are cleared I'm going to try remixing some Kanto music that doesn't appear in GSC, hopefully that will give me some practice and maybe convince me to try it in my ports of later-Gen songs.
As to software/materials, I mostly just write it out by hand in a text file. The most I do regarding software is rip the MIDIs from the games the songs are from (if they're from a game that uses MIDIs) and use a program made by Froggestspirit to convert that to the pokecrystal disassembly format, but that only covers note sequences and I still do things like intensity changes by hand. Froggestspirit recently released a beta to a program that can read ASM music files directly and edit them, so I may try using that more in the future once it gets fleshed out more.

I really do appreciate you giving me your two cents and I'll try to balance out the parts more in the future so it's not too focused on the melody. Some of the songs I do like Meteor Falls are just kind of doomed to not be that great in 8-bit unless I change up the composition but I probably could do better with the battle themes without rewriting too much.
>>
File: afghan-biscuits-97525-1.jpg (825KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
afghan-biscuits-97525-1.jpg
825KB, 3000x2000px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/baking-afghans

Fun to Play with
And to Eat™
>>
File: kris small.png (1KB, 69x72px) Image search: [Google]
kris small.png
1KB, 69x72px
How does this look? I want to replace lyra with Kris but all of the existing edits are... rather lazy. I just feel like there's something off with her head.
>>
>>32521611
Go without the four pixels of black in the top left section of the hat, and it will round out nicely
>>
>>32521387

First of all, restore the missing RBY locations: Viridian Forest, Pewter Museum, Mt. Moon, Safari Zone, Seafoam Islands, Route 23, and Cerulean Cave. Then Articuno obviously goes in the Seafoam Islands; Moltres could go in Victory Road, an original-design Cinnabar Volcano, or Mt. Silver; and Zapdos in Rock Tunnel (since it's right next to the Power Plant) or maybe around the Magnet Train (or even in Mt. Moon, although I don't know why it would be there). (The fossils would naturally go in Mt. Moon too.)

Mewtwo goes in Cerulean Cave, of course; and Mew could go on Faraway Island, or the rumored "Bill's secret garden", or Mt. Silver, or under a truck in Vermilion, or in Viridian Forest (like in the Adventures manga and Sacred Gold/Storm Silver).

Also, I hope you restore the Japanese GS Ball + Celebi event in Ilex Forest, and Goldenrod's PokéCom Center.
>>
File: kris small.png (2KB, 69x72px) Image search: [Google]
kris small.png
2KB, 69x72px
I
>>
>>32521643
>>32521624
thanks dude, you are the bomb. Now time to work on the jacket.
>>
>>32521611
>>32521663
It was a bit more complicated than I lead on, but this should do
>>32521643

godspeed, anon
>>
how do you map fast. I just spam left click for each tile. is there a mapping tutorial for gbc?
>>
>>32521611
BEST GIRL YES, Im not a waifuxd person but Kris is basically best girl. I wish Lyra was closer to her.
>>
File: Route 2.png (56KB, 576x736px) Image search: [Google]
Route 2.png
56KB, 576x736px
http://picosong.com/Mjsf/

Alright here is Route 2 and it's WIP music. I'm afraid that the song sounds to similar to another Pokemon song, but I can't quite place it myself.

As for the route, the item ball across the lake is going to be a later game TM (haven't decided which yet), and the cave entrance leads to a small cave with some items and some rare Pokemon.

I plan to have a lot of optional side areas with goodies if you choose to explore them.

Anyway, thoughts suggestions?
>>
>>32521907
The first half sounds like the gym theme if that's what you're hearing.

Map looks good though, I like how it starts opening up from the mountains to the south.
>>
File: route2.png (27KB, 576x736px) Image search: [Google]
route2.png
27KB, 576x736px
>>32521907

The top-down stairs look alright.
The water is missing the left-side edges.
IMO the Berry tree would look better not in the very corner.
Consider adding Rock Climb and/or muddy slopes passable with a Mach Bike if you want optional side areas.
>>
>>32520246
>>32520270
Ever thought of continuing the project? I can't really offer any help, but I'd love to see your game progress. The concept just seems so interesting.
>>
>>32517022
Very good again
>>
>>32517993
>squeezing so many different countries into a single region space
Don't like this desu. You should focus on a smaller area so you can fit more real-life-inspired details. You could probably make a really comfy region from just one of the Philippines islands alone.
>>
File: animatedtrainer.webm (3MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
animatedtrainer.webm
3MB, 1152x480px
>>
>>32520937
Naming them doesn't matter to me I'm going to put a Delta Species symbol on the Deltas anyways. I'm more worried about how people would feel if certain Pokemon were different without the option of their normal counterparts. Would that be bad? I think if I do end up adding every Delta Pokemon and their normal selves together I feel like the Delta Species side of things would seem too small which is why I am uncertain on what to do.

So that's why I went on here to see peoples thoughts. I'll remove a Pokemon's regular types completely if there is a Delta species of a certain Pokemon if people don't mind a game like that.
>>
>>32524331
That's really neat
>>
Any opinions on Pokemon Gaia?
>>
>>32524476
If you were to include Delta Species Pokemon and make them a new type, would there be a way to make them retain their old weaknesses, like in the TCG/lore?
>>
>>32518800
Eh. Brown was revolutionary when it was released but by modern standards it's just okay. When you go back to Rijon in the postgame for Prism it's nostalgic if you had already played Brown, but if you think you could enjoy GSC without playing RBY then you could enjoy Prism without playing Brown.
>>
>>32524640
I haven't checked that in awhile I kind of just got back into starting this little project, but if I'm not mistaken I believe so. I'll have to go back just to make sure.
>>
>>32524709
Let me know what you find, if you don't mind sharing. I'm very interested. I'm planning a ROM hack where the villainous team uses a lot of reverse engineered tech based on that pioneered by other Pokemon-universe scientists. I had considered the Delta Species as a possible inclusion.
>>
>>32524560
One of the most masterfully made ROMhacks I've ever played, the only one that kept me hooked in like a real pokemon game and felt like one, too.
>>
>>32524331
What's this even supposed to be showcasing?
>>
>>32523684
The initial map was this big because I had a sperglord working with me who wanted to do "all the cultures."

Realistically, I'd like to have cut India out entirely and toned down the number of towns; there were way too many. I like the idea of keeping China and parts of SE Asia (especially Thailand for the scenery - the limestone seastacks would look great on a water route).

>>32522136
Honestly that was my whole reason for posting in the thread. I'll need to dig up my old files but I feel like this might be a good project. I'm looking at a complete overhaul of the Pokedex and Pokemon designs though, so I do need a designer and spriter at the very least. I can handle everything else, but I'm not artistically-inclined.
>>
>>32525209
read the filename next time.
>>
File: WhichMap.png (52KB, 480x160px) Image search: [Google]
WhichMap.png
52KB, 480x160px
Okay so I was looking back at my old region map plan (left pic) and I kinda feel like it might be too small, so I made an expanded version (right pic).

Some things to know:
>northernmost town is pokemon league, meaning the expanded map has 2 routes preceding victory road
>the part with the 2 most westerly towns is the postgame area

I'm having trouble choosing which plan to stick with, so I'd like opinions. Which plan is better and why?
>>
>>32525307
The left looks fine to me.

Two things to keep in mind about extra routes: players aren't going to backtrack from Point B to Point A just to see both ways of going A->B; and if you can go from A to B, C, or D, you'll have to figure out roadblocks for some of the locations so you can have a clear level+plot progression.
>>
File: 727Incineroar.png (591KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
727Incineroar.png
591KB, 1280x1280px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/gym-fightingdark-underground-arena

>tfw when Incineroar is the only pokemon I don't like, but I make it the face of one of my favorite areas of the game
>>
File: followsprites.png (4KB, 96x64px) Image search: [Google]
followsprites.png
4KB, 96x64px
>>
>>32525307
I like left better. There are more areas that have only one route to get to. They're more stand out that way.
>>
>>32525307
I like the left more. The areas in the right map are too densely packed together and everything is connected to each other, which makes some areas seem less unique.
>>
>>32525307

Left is better since everything doesn't loop into the rest of the region.
>>
>>32524476
No, that's what I mean. If the pokemon was imported by the scientists running the delta program or whatever, of course their non-changed counterparts wouldn't exist in the region.
>>
Rate
>Spikyu--->Sonnikyu--->Mega-Sonnikyu
>Spikyu
>Resembles Super Saiyan, but like the puffy super saiyan from the Namek and Android sagas.
>Electric/Normal
>Sonnikyu
>Resembles SSJ 3
>Electric/Normal
>Speed Boost
>Gets Extreme Speed and Electro Ball
>Mega Sonnikyu
>Resembles LSSJ3
>Electric/Dark
>Gets an ability that powers up attack, but drains HP called Overcharged
>>
>>32524687
A new group of people are working on Prism after Koolboyman left. They're going to finish the post game. It won't be the same without KBM but at least something is getting done about the boring post game.
>>
>>32528578
Awful desu.
>>
>>32528578
>It doesn't get Supersonic or Sonic Boom
>>
>>32528639
Of course they will, but since those are weak, unremarkable moves, I didn't feel the need to mention them.
>>32528591
Explain shitstain.
>>
>>32527556
Kojo give me your cummies
>>
File: Meta logo sq.png (119KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Meta logo sq.png
119KB, 1440x1440px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/ancient-ruins-exterior

There's so many tracks I need to update into a more current style...
>>
File: Sonichu.jpg (16KB, 200x329px) Image search: [Google]
Sonichu.jpg
16KB, 200x329px
>>32528578
Might want to rethink the name
>>
>>32524476
Wait a sec, in the Delta Species Lore they alter their type in the city of Holon because of radio waves. You'd have to make one really big city plus surroundings to actually make that work, wouldn't you?
Other than that I love the idea. Maybe you should also do it like on the card art and give the Deltas a "glow" in their respective type colour.
>>
>>32528397
Oh. Now I know what you mean. I guess you're right on that. I think having both the Deltas along with their normal selves would be too big for a region.

>>32529772
Actually my plans for the game is going to be set around Crystal Guardians specifically, long after the Holon incident where both altered and natural born Delta species live. The Holon Scientists will be the antagonists of the game regrouped to continue their schemes in capturing Mew. In fact speaking about the city, that'll be where the villains base is off map. I plan on using a glow for them but if it looks crappy I'll just leave it out, a delta symbol should be enough.
>>
>>32525307
If anything the old one looked too big already.
>>
>>32521907
The song sounds both like Gym/Main Theme, and Oak's theme. It's good though!
>>
>>32530569
Someone else said it sounds like the Gym Theme too, but I don't hear it. As long as it isn't too similar though, I don't mind.
>>
>>32524819
I don't think I can change the weaknesses at least with the programs that I am using. I'm not sure but it could be possible if tampered around if a coding wiz were to work on that.
>>
>>32528578
>Resembles cancer
>Cancer edge typing
>Gets an ability that gives cancer
>Literally Sonichu

What did he mean by this
>>
>>32521907
I'd go about changing the first 20 seconds. It sounds like a remixed Gym theme, like others have said.

The rest of the tune is really nice.
>>
>>32531237
You're trying too hard, sonny.
>Speed boost is cancer
Git gud you faggot. I hope your fat, dyke mother gets cancer. Today. On mother's day.
>>
>>32531576
The edge is too painful in this thread.
>>
>>32531602
>>32531237
Boy you are really checking off those buzzwords, huh?
What's next? Reddit? Tumblr? Sperg? Autist?
>>
>>32531602
That's not edgy. I really want that to happen. SINCERELY I do. From the bottom of my heart, I really hope that happens. She just passes out right into her fucking cake. Right there. Dead. Stage 4 fucking stomach cancer.
>>
File: j.png (15KB, 518x150px) Image search: [Google]
j.png
15KB, 518x150px
>>32531664
Ain't the same guy bucko.
>>32531687
Clearly you took the matter to unnecessary extremes towards someone who doesn't deserve your evil wishes, so whether you mean it or not it's edgy. You can't hide it. Have fun rotting.
>>
>>32531687
You need to be over 18 to post here. Please go back to PewDiePie.
>>
>>32531576
>>32531664
>>32531602
>>32531687
>>32531753
>>32531772

Who cares, post related content.
>>
>>32531783
^This
>>
File: SafariZoneWest.png (27KB, 544x480px) Image search: [Google]
SafariZoneWest.png
27KB, 544x480px
>>32531783
GSC Safari Zone progress.
>>
>>32531816
Looking good.

Are you restoring the game as well, or just the maps?
>>
>>32521965
>>32530569
>>32531441
I'm having trouble hearing the Gym Theme in the song. I don't doubt it though. If 3 separate people say it then it's probably there. Could you be a bit more specific at which part sounds like the Gym Theme? I can't hear it for the life of me.
>>
>>32531816
Polished Crystal? Looking good, love the tall trees devamp but I think you could improve the houses while you're at it. They look pretty bad imo. Maybe just make them look more Gen2 ish (roof or something?)
>>
Gen III or Gen IV overworld?
>>
>>32531858
0:03 - 0:17, and of course every time it loops.
>>
>>32508316
At the moment 9, Planning to do loads. I was pretty dissapointed with the amount in SuMo.
>>
All set to rip all sound effects from Gen IV, any requests? Turns out I cannot record my screen properly as other than GIF because of my specs on my laptop, but it will be a while before I'm on desktop. I can do just audio though.
>>
>>32531753
Now I wish YOUR mom would get cancer. :^)
That (You) actually feel anything from any threat made on this site tells me you are underage.
>>
>>32532154
Could you do the sound effect for when a character is suprised/notices something and a "!" pops up?
>>
>>32531858
http://picosong.com/Mury/

This part
>>
File: !.png (22KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
!.png
22KB, 256x192px
>>32532571
Here you are, pal.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YXuTzR3MpK
>>
File: 1477277962263.png (171KB, 431x539px) Image search: [Google]
1477277962263.png
171KB, 431x539px
>>32532730
Thanks a lot, anon!
>>
>>32532864
You're most welcome.
>>
>>32532692
Oh! Now I hear it. I was listening to the wrong part of the Gym Theme. Thank you for being so specific.
>>
File: Montany Town + Berry Master.png (216KB, 640x1442px) Image search: [Google]
Montany Town + Berry Master.png
216KB, 640x1442px
Second town of my "game", it'll be the setting for future events, and the Fossil Researcher is there, though you don't actually get a Fossil until much later.
For this one I took the concept of the cave behind the waterfall, but here the waterfall has long disappeared (even though you can still see the shape of the water that used to flow there on the mountain), and the next route used to be a river, hundreds of years ago.
The cave leads to an underwater area, which you can't access during your first visit.*
As for the house behind the town, you access it by Surfing on the river via another route, it's the Berry Master's house.
I think the map's far from perfect, but I'm happy with what I have, it's cozy and simple but still sort of original I feel like. Opinions?
>>
>>32533483
The few rocks in the path to the cave's entrance are (imho) meme. I personally dont like the bench either. Thats not a Gen 3 tile, but some fuckboi just stuck it in during an Essentials update hundreds of years ago, or so the leyend goes.

Pros: Comfy, feels like a rocky town. Everything top of the river doesnt serve much purpose imo, specially if you have to surf from far away to access places through the river. Its original at least.
>>
>>32533591
>leyend
hola, que paso
>>
File: Route 1.png (352KB, 1260x930px) Image search: [Google]
Route 1.png
352KB, 1260x930px
>>32525217
So I dug up the files and worked on Route 1 today. Thoughts?
>>
>>32534534
Is it really possible to do complete recreated hacks of HG/SS now?Thats great.Looks really nice.I hope Gen 5 can get romhacks.Not even gonna hope for Gen 6 or 7.
>>
>>32534936
Forgot to add the only hack ive only seen of HG/SS was Drayno SacredGold/StormSilver and they just added some new scripts and events.I'd love to see an original hack/fangame made.
>>
>>32534936
>>32534949
Light Platinum DS. It's possible but not many people try.
>>
>>32535656
I heard that one didnt get finished,did it?
>>
>>32535708
It's being worked on, so "didn't get" sounds like it's so much older :P
>>
File: coralworld.png (230KB, 1358x2143px) Image search: [Google]
coralworld.png
230KB, 1358x2143px
>>32531441
>>32531894
>>32532692
Alright, so I think I've fixed it. Is this better?

http://picosong.com/MJBR/
>>
File: 2017-05-15 09-22-35_12.webm (25KB, 96x76px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-15 09-22-35_12.webm
25KB, 96x76px
This is fun. FUN!
>>
>>32536178
Much better.
And it fits the rest of the tune's tone a lot nicer as well.

Good work.
>>
>>32514744
nice, not-hau
>>
File: pier.png (5KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
pier.png
5KB, 320x256px
>>32536178
The first town has windows on the Pokémon Center, but the second one doesn't. For what it's worth, I prefer the second windowless one, which is also how the real games are.

Also, the pier could (a) be extended more and (b) have clear supports.

I'd still be driven to talk to the inaccessible NPC at that table; can you maybe have him speak across the fence, like how counters work?
>>
>>32531832
>>32531874
Yeah, it's for Polished Crystal. I'll see what I can do about the houses.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 320x256px
>>32536525
here's the boat as a sprite
>>
This seems like the right place to ask, I need a Sun/Moon decrypted rom
>>
>>32536829
Doesnt the chaos site have it?If its for a romhack just use Salty SD.If you got CFW just get it from freeshop then dump it with decrypt9
>>
Are there any tools to do this on Mac for gen3? Want to start with something basic, like team editing, and maybe some reworking of TM moves and compatibility.
>>
>>32536820
Can you make the boat use the tile, but once the story advances it's a sprite? It would make it really cute, telling form when you cannot use it to when you can.
>>
>>32536525
I was planning on changing the Pokemon Center slightly on a per town basis so that it fits the architecture of the town a bit better.

You're totally right about the supports on the pier. I guess I could also extend it out more too.

Also, you've always been able to talk to the NPC at the table.

>>32536820
I thought about doing this, but have no idea how. Any idea on where to start?
>>
>>32536220
i just noticed its a webm
this is fancy famalamadingdong
>>
Is the prehistoric guy around?
>>
>>32530472
Huh, sounds good actually, but from the lore it seemed like Holon was just some regular city.
>>
>>32537832
The blue guy has obstacles on all sides, so I guess you mean the fence works like a counter?

Nice idea to have Pokémon Centers fit in better. Although, take a look at the Kanto ones: they have windows, but they're one tile higher up, touching the roof instead of the sign.

The boat would be two sprites next to each other. It could even move left or right by using the follow+stopfollow commands on the trailing half. To add a new sprite, you give it a constant in constants/sprite_constants.asm, a header in gfx/overworld/sprite_headers.asm, and include its 2bpp in some gfx/overworld/sprites_#.asm.
>>
File: notaboat.png (23KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
notaboat.png
23KB, 640x576px
>>32540450
Ok, so now this is what I'm getting. I was getting this same problem before with some of the default sprites, and my solution was to change the mapgroup of my map. I'm guessing the sprites that the game can load is dependent on the mapgroup? How would I fix this?
>>
>>32536178

you should make a forest area, this is looking awesome i cant wait to play
>>
File: Holon_Tower.png (213KB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
Holon_Tower.png
213KB, 400x231px
>>32539481
The city was established as a base to find Mew but for some reason it's referred to as a city.
>>
Anyone has the link the pokemon Clover?
>>
File: itsaboat.png (23KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
itsaboat.png
23KB, 640x576px
>>32540684
Actually, scratch that. I got it figured out.

>>32540941
I have several forest areas planned, one of which is haunted.
>>
>>32540684
Yeah, engine/overworld.asm has tables of the valid outdoor sprites for each map group. There's only room in memory for walking frames of the first nine sprites, so keep that in mind when picking trainers for maps, or deciding whether an NPC should wander or stand still.
>>
>>32541518
Looks good!

To give areas more atmosphere, try giving them custom palettes in predef/crystal.asm:LoadSpecialMapPalette. (All of its checks are for tilesets, but you could either use a special tileset for custom-palette maps, or add checks for MapGroup and MapNumber as well as wTileset.) The haunted forest would probably work well with one.
>>
bimp cause im paranoid
>>
File: QuietCaveB2F.png (31KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
QuietCaveB2F.png
31KB, 576x576px
Bump with content; the Gen 3 Rusturf Tunnel tiles work well in Gen 2 to replace the usual cliffs.
>>
>>32544140
Seems a bit noisy.
>>
>>32544140
Really pretty, love the palettes and yeah, everytime I played RS, Rusturf screamed "gen 2 cutting floor" to me
>>
What are you working on right now, Anon? We all want to see!
>>
File: uk map.png (4KB, 192x144px) Image search: [Google]
uk map.png
4KB, 192x144px
>>32545627
>>
holy shit i just took the biggest dump, my hole is sore

>>32545685
Tell me more, Anon!
>>
Do you guys have all planed, from start to finish, or do you kiiinda build the story as it develops?

I'm a "ok, this, this and that have to happen" type of guy, but I suck at coming up with a region, let alone the development of the plot, other than the ending and a couple characters.

Any tips for other people as incompetent in story writing and world building as I?
>>
>>32546809
I come up with the region before anythimg else. Plot is moe of a gradual thing. Storyboarding in particular is a bitch
>>
anyone know how to animate gsc sprites?
>>
Is the "scientists experimenting on pokemon" thing overdone for antagonists in fan projects? Should I even bother with it?
>>
File: InjectBreed.png (3MB, 965x3050px) Image search: [Google]
InjectBreed.png
3MB, 965x3050px
>>
>>32548473
As long as it's not played off as too serious and isn't dumb, fanfic-y tripe like a machine that lets you talk to Pokémon.
>>
>>32548499
Wrong thread you stupid nigger
>>
File: front.png (3KB, 56x280px) Image search: [Google]
front.png
3KB, 56x280px
>>32548330

If you're using pokecrystal, make a vertical strip of unique animation frames, and run "python gfx.py 2bpp gfx/pics/wingull/front.png" (and then "python gfx.py lz gfx/pics/wingull/front.2bpp"). The first command will also generate bitmask.asm and frames.asm, and it will reduce front.png down to the first frame plus the set of unique 8x8 tiles needed to recreate the rest. (Try converting the 2bpp back into a png and you'll see.)

Anyway, gfx.py has no way of knowing what frame sequence you want, so create anim0.asm (the main animation) and anim1.asm (the tail-end extra animation shown in the stats screen) yourself, based on existing ones.

For instance, "frame 0, 12" shows frame #0 (the top one) for 12, er, frames (the FPS kind, not the sprite animation kind), "setrepeat 3" makes the next dorepeat go 3 times. "dorepeat 5" repeats from line 5 of anim0/1.asm to the current dorepeat line.
>>
So there are guides to put custom songs in the over world but are there any for battles? Like for legendary specific. I imagine it would have to do with event scripting because any legendary caught in the wild will have the wild encounter music.
>>
>>32548509
Do you have any examples of it being done too serious? Just looking for a baseline of what not to do. And yeah Uranium did a thing that lets you talk to Pokemon, that was pretty dumb.
>>
>>32548789
In addition to that, Uranium also had the mainline plot which involved the creation of the main Pokémon of the game, Urayne, which isn't that bad in itself, but then it also includes the player character's mother being the main villain due to memory loss and has her actually killing people because she's been blowing up power plants all over the region along with other crap that just makes the story not good.

Other than that I didn't really have any examples, but I doubt you have to look too far to find something (I'm playing Prism right now and depending on how things go I might have another example to give soon). The level of seriousness you should be aiming for is something you'd expect to find in a classic era episode of Kamen Rider or Ultraman. Don't try to show off your skills as a writer, because in the context of a Pokémon game it probably won't work.
>>
>>32548902
Prism rarely takes itself seriously except with a couple of the guardians parts.
>>
>>32548902
Do not follow Uranium's example. Ever.
>>
>>32517993
scale it down, nigga
>>
Thinking about making a romhack with Fakemon, it seems like it would be interesting to base a region on Italy, any projects that I could gain knowledge from?

Guess I should stylise the starters to fit with themes of the coliseum
>>
>>32551100
>>>>55
>>>>>>11
>>>>>>>>00
checked
>>
>page 9
you fucking niggers cant be trusted
>>
>>32553053
I was playing dragon's dogma, my bad
>>
>>32553063
I was playing a Skyrim quest called "Forgotten City" - voice acting is a bit memey but it actually has multiple endings (got a lame one after 2 hours), and the writing was good and the xD time travel meme was done ____well.
>inb4 Skyrim
I hadnt played it in so long, I actually enjoy it a lot right now

Love DD too, but Dark Arisen is too hard for me, never got past the giant eye but cheesed the super cyclops, I should replay it sometime.

Uhhhh on t-the topic of g-game dev... Uhhh... What are some other games or books or otherwise media that you draw inspiration from?
>>
File: Florida Final.png (4KB, 264x168px) Image search: [Google]
Florida Final.png
4KB, 264x168px
posting old map
>>
File: johto-kanto-hoenn.png (2MB, 3456x3040px) Image search: [Google]
johto-kanto-hoenn.png
2MB, 3456x3040px
RBY Kanto + GSC Johto ≈ RSE Hoenn
>>
Anyone here played Nova Sun/Umbra Moon?
How'd you find them?
>>
>>32554991
Nova Sun. What do you mind found? Browsing gbatemp. Do you need help installing them or what?

Do you have Luma? How much space in your memory card? Do you have fbi?
>>
>>32555029
Sorry, bit of a colloquialism.
I just meant how much you enjoyed them. Was considering replaying Moon, but I remembered how easy it was.
>>
>>32508316
I mean I'll probably never make or release anything beyond the one gorrillion .txt documents I have but hypothetically speaking there would be 12 or 13, I'm undecided on one, since it was originally one of a "version exclusive" pair before regional forms came about and now that the other has a regional form I feel like this one should too?
>>
>>32525307
Looks to me that you've just added more connections between the existing layout, which itself is already fairly well connected. I think you're overdoing in the right pic.

The left pic is also quite an expansive region already. If you go by the 1 map tile = 30 x 30 overworld tiles then you already have ~128 x 900 = 115,000 tiles to place, without even accounting for layers or events. Less is more, friendo. Don't overcomplicate things for yourself.
>>
First for Selene has down syndrome
>>
page8dotbmp
>>
File: lineofpixels.png (17KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
lineofpixels.png
17KB, 640x576px
So I have a problem. Every Pokemon's front sprite has a strange line of pixels. It's in a different place in all of them, but every one I've tested has it. It wasn't like this last time I checked. Anyone know what to do?
>>
>>32508207
Where would the best place be to ask about building a Pokemon fangame with a new region?
Pretty new to this, I can make fakemon concepts and region theme pretty well, but don't know where I should start on the software side.
Want to add megas eventually, also not sure if I should use the Gen 4 or Gen 5 engine
>>
>>32557240
You've been committing our changes as a git project, right? You can roll back to see how far back this bug is and see what commit caused it, then change that commit to fix whatever was broken.
>>
>>32557313
What gen 4 and 5 engines are you talking about? But yeah you can talk game dev here, that's literally the purpose of this thread so welcome newfriend

Check the OP for disassembles of gen 1, 2 and 3, or use essentials

Ask anything, don't be a stranger amigo
>>
>>32557742
In the engines Paste bin
https://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD

Essentials DS and Essentials BW, are these viable, I assume you can use base Essentials (Which uses Gen 3?), but I want to know if the later generation versions are developed enough to use.

Also, unsure on how I could get Mega Evolution working, and how I could get it working for any new mega evolutions I design.
>>
>>32558012
Also thought of something neat to do with gym leaders

Gym leaders 5 and 8 are both oracles of the regions balance, this gives them a full team to fight you and mega evolution to put them on the same field as you.

Many of the complaints about X and Y is the lack of other trainers using mega stones and being easier than most Pokemon games, so I think this would be appreciated and bring some challenge
>>
>>32557447
I have not. I've never really used github, and I really don't know how any of it works.
>>
>>32558175
You could also have three of those oracles, this way they each have six Pokémon, representing the 18 different types.
>>
>>32558345
Three Oracles in gyms representing 18 types, or three oracles in total, because I am leaning more to a total of seven Oracles.

Also I am planning on theming each of the oracles on an animal, Lupa will use her signature ice wolf, she is going to be more wild and not stick to a monotype, she is planned for eighth gym.

Leo would use his signature Electric Lion, and would loosely follow an electric monotype, and manages the fifth gym, more of a veteran among the oracles and involved a bit more heavily with the plot than other oracles.

Each Oracle would have an unspoken name, their real name forbidden from being told until they get succeeded as an Oracle and retire

Fatebound children refer to people with talent trained to succeed an oracle, one is planned to be heavily involved throughout the story, this means I could give the remaining six three pokemon to represent each type, could have a sort of low level elite four imitation in mid game where you challenge the six in the row, optional like dojo in Red and Blue, no megas allowed and only five pokemon allowed, would be challenging and would provide a good reward.

Speaking of which, I plan on introducing a Grimoire Hold Item system, kind of like Mantras in Digital Devil Saga, while held it gives Pokemon access to learn through level up moves that they wouldn't normally have access to, would have limits on who can learn from each Grimoire, and would be easier to implement on my regions fakemon, some pokemon could only evolve through learning a move this way.

Some moves wouldn't be available if you use one grimoire over another, for example, Demonic Grimoire gives Vile Stab at level 27 while Holy Grimoire gives Atomic Blast at level 27.

Plan on making the rival someone who is really interested in Pokemon, and having him introduce you to Grimoires and give you Grimoires that he doesn't need anymore throughout the story.

Sorry for dumping all of this info, I hope you find it interesting
>>
>>32557447
>>32558191
Ok. False alarm. I had a gameshark code on to give me all the badges just so I could test an HM. That was causing the problem for some reason. I'm going to see about learning about commiting on git though. That kinda scared me.
>>
>>32558012
Those kits are on an older version of Essentials. I recommend you use stock Essentials (16.2) and add all the fancy graphics you want after, once you learn a bit about coding, otherwise you'll be lacking in the newest features and it will be hard for you to update post 16.2.

If you wish though, use shiney's or KleinStudios' BW kits, but I must stress using vanilla Essentials then adding your whatever Gen graphics is much better in the long term

The wiki is easy to understand regarding Megas, ask anything in particular
>>
>>32558612
Guess it will take some getting used to the tools, I suppose my little bit of coding knowledge will give me a bit of a headstart.

I should probably dive into Mega Evolution at a later stage in the project, guess all I can ask now is for feedback on my project concepts.
>>
sun and moon v1.2 code.bin when?
>>
>>32558676
Also is the base Essentials usable on its own or do you have to use free trial/pay for RPG Maker XP?
>>
>>32558778
You need RPG Maker XP ("RMXP"). You can pirate it or buy it off steam ($20 USD but about 5 on summer and winter sales)
>>
>>32558191
I don't really know how git works either, but you basically mark all the files you've changed and commit said changes. When you roll back to that commit, it temporarily undoes all the changes of the commits made after it. If you made a bad commit that breaks something, you can compare the files before that change to the ones after it and pinpoint the problem.
I'm glad it ended up not being a problem this time, though.
>>
File: cuttree.png (59KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
cuttree.png
59KB, 640x576px
Does anyone know what controls which palette the game loads when cutting a cut tree? I'm trying to make it load the green palette instead of the tree palette so I can replace the tree palette with a different color.
>>
File: Meagrud_Sketch.png (1MB, 2325x3595px) Image search: [Google]
Meagrud_Sketch.png
1MB, 2325x3595px
>>32558882
Thank you, have a sloth, it is Grass Sloth version 5

Final form is called Dendrosia (Dendroid + Ambrosia)

Plan to base the fire starter on Cataphracts, going to be Fire/Steel, only worry is it overlapping too much with the other fire type horse.

Plan to base water starter on a Hippo, haven't decided on its theme, but it shouldn't overlap with the cataphracts heavy armor theme
>>
>>32559322
In data/sprite_engine.asm, find the four labels .OAMData_50, .OAMData_51, .OAMData_52, and .OAMData_53. Each of them is followed by four "dsprite" lines that end in $06. The $06 is really PAL_OW_TREE, and you can change it to whichever other entry you want.

Here's how I figured that out. event/overworld.asm has the HM move routines. Tracing the code for Cut comes to CutDownTreeOrGrass, which calls OWCutAnimation in event/field_moves.asm. That in turn calls Cut_SpawnAnimateTree, which calls _InitSpriteAnimStruct with SPRITE_ANIM_INDEX_CUT_TREE. Looking in constants/sprite_constants.asm, SPRITE_ANIM_INDEX_CUT_TREE is equal to $17. It's an index into the SpriteAnimSeqData table in engine/sprites.asm, so find entry $17 in that table: it's "db SPRITE_ANIM_FRAMESET_1E, SPRITE_ANIM_SEQ_NULL, $00 ; 17". Now SPRITE_ANIM_FRAMESET_1E is an index into the SpriteAnimFrameData table in data/sprite_engine. Entry $1E is just ".Frameset_1e", a label which has some animation data that references SPRITE_ANIM_FRAME_IDX_50, SPRITE_ANIM_FRAME_IDX_51, SPRITE_ANIM_FRAME_IDX_52, and SPRITE_ANIM_FRAME_IDX_53. Those are four indexes into the SpriteAnimOAMData table in the same file, and that's where you'll find the .OAMData_50, etc entries that need to be changed.
>>
>>32559528
Nice! Thanks. That worked.
>>
>>32559599
Great! If you want more sprite colors, you probably know that PAL_OW_PINK is unused. But don't change PAL_OW_SILVER, it's used for the "!" emote and some other sfx.
>>
Stop making fan games. They are illegal. Make your own stuff.
>>
>>32559649
Fuck off Nintendo, you're not my real dad.
>>
>>32559613
Yeah. I've been using PAL_OW_PINK. Also, there's no way to ADD more colors is there? I tried just adding a new sprite palette entry called "PAL_OW_TEST" to sprite_constants.asm and an all black palette to tilesets/ob.pal, but it made all of the sprites load the wrong palettes.

I found a section in engine/color.asm that seemingly controls how many palette the game loads for overworld objects. The label is ".got_pals" under "LoadMapPals". When I changed both instances of "8 palettes" to "9 palettes", all the sprites loaded the right colors except the one that I told to load "PAL_OW_TEST". That sprite just loads a the standard red palette in game.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>32559664
Yeah here are my thougts. Cancel your "fan" game and make your own fucking IP.
>>
>>32559664
Look at the VRAM viewer in BGB, you'll see the absolute limits on things. There are 8 BG palettes, 8 OBJ ones, 40 8x8 OAM objects (and since a 16x16 sprite uses four of them, you can only have 10 sprites on-screen at once), and a certain amount of tileset space. (Looking at the tileset space also shows that some of it is unused: https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7020/ It really helps to have an extra 48 tiles if you want better-looking maps.)
>>
>>32559674
IP is bullshit.
>>
>>32559674
Were your parents retards who bought a bootleg copy of Quartz or something?
>>
>>32560089
No I just know fan games are illegal because of Uranium and Prism.
>>
>>32559322
If you're getting rid of the TREE palette, then make Berry trees tile-based the same as Cut trees.
>>
File: image.png (10KB, 381x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
10KB, 381x377px
Working on a fakemon rom hack. Do I have to manually change each trainer's pokemon's movests? is there an easier way? also what do you think of my sprite?
>>
I hate to keep asking questions, but does anyone know where the graphics for the grass that appears over the player when they walk through tall grass is? I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find it. I want to edit it so it looks more natural with the GREEN palette.
>>
>>32560700
gfx/misc/fishing4.2bpp. Don't know why it's called that.
>>
>>32561060
Thanks. That's real dumb.
>>
page 7
>>
>>32561903
Glad to see I'm not the only faggot bumping this
>>
Is MEH any good?
>>
>>32562320
It's unfinished
>>
If i homebrew my 3DS will I be able to go online in SM still?
>>
>>32562402
Also will I have to lower the update on my 3DS to homebrew it? Thanks in advance
>>
>>32554806
Is that map from Polished Crystal? Is it any good?
>>
>>32562416
>>>/vg/hbg
>>
>>32554806
Looking good pangi
Make the Cherrygrove lake accessible by the north please
>>
>>32562541
It would involve four maps' corners meeting together, which is impossible in the Gen 2 map engine. I've tried twice, it causes glitches.
>>
Is this the right place to ask for someones help in getting the 1.2 qr inject prepatched code.bin for SM?
>>
>>32562796
No
>>
how would i go about installing liquid crystal on my android phone
>>
>>32562824
Get a gba emulator
>>
>>32560113

a company cease&desist ing you does not mean what you did was illegal, but that they are prepared to sue you for everything you own unless you meet their demands
>>
It's Friday post stuff
>>
I want to be able to give ANY Pokémon any ability without defining them in their PBS something like pokemon.overrideability(id) but I don't understand the ability flag or how it decides which one to use (I want to just use an ID instead of 1-3 depending on species ability slot)

Please help
>>
>>32565185
That takes reprogramming, because abilities don't work that way in Essentials.
>>
page se7en
>>
What controls the palette that the player's front sprite loads in pokecrystal? Also, what controls what color their overworld sprites are on the naming screen? I'm working on implementing an option during the intro that lets you pick the color you want your character to be.

I have it finished except that they still load their default front sprite palettes and their default overworld sprite colors on the name screen and during that shrinking animation it does right before gameplay starts
>>
>>32567236
Well, look at the code that does those things and see if you can figure it out.

engine/namingscreen.asm has this code:

> ld b, SPRITE_ANIM_INDEX_RED_WALK
> ld a, d
> cp KrisSpriteGFX / $100
> jr nz, .not_kris
> ld a, e
> cp KrisSpriteGFX % $100
> jr nz, .not_kris
> ld b, SPRITE_ANIM_INDEX_BLUE_WALK
> .not_kris

So recall how the Cut tree palette worked, and find the palettes for those two SPRITE_ANIM_INDEX constants.

As for the player's front sprite, during the intro it's controlled by gfx/trainers/palette_pointers.asm, and on the trainer card it's controlled by predef/cgb.asm:_CGB_TrainerCard. (Find the part that accesses PlayerGender, and also read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonROMhacks/comments/5qq5a4/pokecrystal_cant_edit_trainer_card_palettes_and/)
>>
>>32566143
I now but any ideas? Where does it say "okay go to Pokémon.txt and use this ability"
>>
>>32546809
First think up a theme, my theme is on curses and such, then think of what you want to do with it.

Take some inspiration from the country that you based the region on, without a region you can't really build the plot that well, if you can't think of a country use a random generator that picks countries until you find one you like
>>
Bimp my ride
>>
what would you anons think of a romhack based solely on an (expanded) sevii?
>>
>>32569826
Sevii was pretty comfy. Could be an amazing hack if done right. Make sure to include lots of new optional areas since optional exploration was one of Sevii's strong points.
>>
>>32554703
it LOOKS like a BENIS
>>
File: spritecompare1.gif (3KB, 160x162px) Image search: [Google]
spritecompare1.gif
3KB, 160x162px
>>
>>32570576
cute snek
>>
>>32570576
snek doggo is life
>>
>>32570576
Why does it look like Peter Griffin
>>
>>32570576
The second looks better, but it needs a lot more shading in general.

Also keep the tongue.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqnRRzUIwrM

So, I've been working on the intro to Coral. I have it pretty much done. You can choose you gender and color from within the Prof.'s speech so that you can preview what they look like.

The female and Rival sprites are obviously temporary, and my friend is working on them now. I still haven't changed the sprite or palette on the Trainer Card, but I'm kinda done with this for now.

Next thing I'm going to be working on is the next city.
>>
>>32571684
the tongue will be in the animation.
>>
>>32571875
really like this
>>
>>32508316
The whole game pretty much. About 100 families I think.

What's the best romhacking base at the moment? Been away for awhile.
>>
so I'm trying to make an sm romhack (technically it's 98% done, I just need to fix a few things and then work out whether it's worth releasing or not) and I've noticed that berry tree pokemon don't seem to have their levels changed in-game when i edit them with pk3ds, even though the actual pokemon species that appear do change (e.g. crabrawler --> crabominable).

I don't recall this happening with any other encounter tables, yet it seems to happen with all of the berry tree encounters. any idea what's going wrong / how I can fix it?
>>
>>32520462
>>32569826
You might be interested in combining these two ideas.
>>
>>32508207
>http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx

This only lists 4 gen 2 romhacks.

What are some of your favourite gen 2 romhacks and why, /heg/ ?
>>
>>32572392
It lists nine actually. The list is split into "vanilla" ROMhacks that essentially act as improved versions of the original games, and non-vanilla hacks that have shit like custom regions and/or Fakemon.
The list is also a bit outdated, and doesn't have Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary Crystal (a vanilla hack with restored and new Kanto locations, moves from later Gens, the Fairy-type and a few other later-Gen improvements, as well as a ton of postgame content and a completely different opening to the game that I won't spoil) or Polished Crystal (a vanilla hack with crossgen Pokémon, moves from later Gens, abilities and natures, a lot of mostly custom new areas, and more), which I would both recommend as hacks, though you should wait for 3.0 to get released with the latter.
>>
Say I want to take the english translation of hg/ss and transfer it over to a japanese rom
do the tools for the us roms work for the japanese ones?
I just want muh casino back.
>>
File: glintcity.png (35KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
glintcity.png
35KB, 576x480px
>>32571875
Glint City. All of the cities and towns are going to be named after lights and light related words. This is the first town with a Gym. It's a normal type gym. I wanted to keep it pretty basic for the beginning and normal is surprisingly uncommon for a first gym type.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 576x480px
>>32574263
Looks good. Are the tall buildings apartments or offices? I like the park tiles. You could improve the fence corners.
>>
>>32571875
Really cool! I hope you release a demo once the first few cities are done.
>>
File: glintcitynite.png (35KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
glintcitynite.png
35KB, 576x480px
>>32574345
Fixed the corners and added the lamps from Sunset Bay. Here it is at night.

Also, what is that palette? It looks so much nicer than the default.
>>
>>32573419
Don't bother, the casino is already in the English ROM, and has been restored by this guy: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=347879
If you don't want the other changes in this hack, just swap out the appropriate narcs with clean ones, or ask him how he did it. You might have to keep any event and text changes to retain the casino fix, though.
>>
File: coral.png (47KB, 928x2527px) Image search: [Google]
coral.png
47KB, 928x2527px
>>32574486
No idea about the palette, it just shifted the colors at some point between saving, editing, resaving, and uploading.

Do you have custom roof colors picked out?

Also, the route so far is pretty linear. Johto and Hoenn both had branch points on their early routes that you could backtrack to and explore with HMs.
>>
File: Screenshot_222.png (7KB, 1708x26px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_222.png
7KB, 1708x26px
>>32574525
The casino is restored, but it's still fucking voltorb flip
god that hack was such a tease
>>
>>32574607
My bad. You could try directly replacing the JP text narc with English one and see if the game still works. It should, but it will fuck up the casino unless the English game still has filler text for it.
>>
>>32574573
You can do what Prism did an use roof colors for more than just roofs. They also use them for caves and flowers for example.
>>
File: Sunset Cape New.png (39KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sunset Cape New.png
39KB, 512x640px
>>32574573
I'm going to start messing with the roof stuff tomorrow.

As far as the linearity, that cave on Route 2 is going to have an underground waterway that forks. One path takes you to a cave exit at the cape under the berry tree, and the other path will lead to an optional water route to the right that links to a town later in the game. When you get surf later (in that town) you will be able to take an alt path back to the earlier parts (kinda like Diglett's Cave).

>>32574635
I already have. The blue flowers in Sunset Bay are using the roof palette.
>>
File: coral.png (272KB, 1088x2527px) Image search: [Google]
coral.png
272KB, 1088x2527px
>>32574638
There are still a few weird spots in the map. From the top down: missing coastlines; a very thin cliff (extending it north a bit will also get rid of the obvious rectangular shape in that route); two cliffs that look like they should be one; and a coastline that curves up instead of down to merge with the rest.

Everything else is great. It's nice that you're not sticking with the default metatile sets, and there are innovations like the top-down cliff stairs.

Not sure if you noticed, but I said earlier that if you're getting rid of the TREE palette, then the Berry trees would work better as tiles than as sprites (like the Cut trees). If you need more tileset space I can help extend them.
>>
Random question. For move animation graphics, is it better to save an image for multiple different animations as a single image, or is it best to just give each animation its own single image?
>>
>>32575146
It doesn't matter but the less graphic sheets you use at once the better performance wise. Do whatever is convenient.
>>
>>32575188
Sorry but I'm a little lost on the wording. Do you mean it's better to have a small amount of large images or a large amount of small images?
>>
>>32575207
Large image, unless super large. Do one per move max. Incredibly big images cause lag too, also applies to tilesets. It's better to have smaller ones where you can split em (like interiors, and a master exterior)
>>
File: coral.png (17KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
coral.png
17KB, 480x576px
>>32574638
>>32575049
You could edit the non-roof palettes too. These colors are from FRLG.
>>
Bring up my post
>>
File: IMG_20161105_121901.jpg (108KB, 796x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_121901.jpg
108KB, 796x960px
Is dollsteak's decap ROM base still the ultimate base or is there any cool new releases?
>>
>>32576297
I bet you hate Essentials, basecuk
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.