[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: fire_fighting.png (764KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
fire_fighting.png
764KB, 1200x960px
>>
>>32493758
I mean, you're not wrong.
>>
>>32493758
The thing you're missing here that the mono types got breathing room in Gen 3 and 4. There has been been three Fire/Fighting types in a row with Incineroar technically being the fourth. Of course people are gonna be more sick off Firefighters because they really are way more common than monotypes.
>>
>>32493758
If you are going to dual type you should at least put some thought into it
>>
>>32493758
>no gen 4 starters besides infernape
>>
What year is it?
>>
>>32493768
Are you saying if there spaced out with 1 or 2 gens between them, they would've been accepted?
I doubt the whole problem is because they're in a row, it's because they're duel types, with the same secondary type.
People wanted Incineroar not only to stay on all 4, but to be pure type as well, or part ground at the worst.
>>
>>32493758

Monotypes are the default typing and therefore acceptable if there's a lot of them. Fire/Fighting isn't.
>>
>the only pure Fire starter is Typhlosion

People keep asking for Fire/Ground or Fire/Ghost or whatever starters, and that's nice, but a pure Fire regular bull or horse or bear would be a breath of fresh air actually.
>>
>>32493758
wtf I hate gen V starters now
jk, i always hated them
>>
>>32493773
>Grass/Ground
>Water/Steel
>>
Gee i wonder
>>
if they were all dual types:

>Grass/Poison, Grass/Fairy, Grass/Dark, Grass/Ground, Grass/Dark, Grass/Fighting, Grass/Ghost
>Fire/Flying, Fire/Ground, Fire/Fighting, Fire/Fighting, Fire/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, Fire/Dark
>Water/Steel, Water/Dark, Water/Ground, Water/Steel, Water/Fighting, Water/Dark, Water/Fairy

which is the dual typing who repeats itself more than 2 times? that's why we REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>32493758
Cool, now show me all the repeated dual types for non-fire starters.
>>
>>32493867
>pure fire horse
That exists
>>
>>32493758
The problem is that they were released in a row, also when you hear of a starter being dual typed you start thinking of something special, not yet the same type
>>
>>32493758
The hate for Fire/Fighting is overblown as fuck. Fire/Fighting isn't a bad typing, nor are there too many Pokemon of this type. These are the only three of this type.
No one complained how we had 3 Fire/Flying Pokemon by Gen 2, despite having a Starter of that typing. Or 3 Water/Ground by Gen 3, and 5 Water/Ground by Gen 5, despite having a starter with that typing.

Them being starters doesn't mean shit. tI'm glad all of them are Fire/Fighting. That's a hell lot better than simple Fire. You picked a Fire-starter, you got your Fire-type. The extra type being Fighting is helpful as fuck, nothing more.
>>
>>32493867
I disagree.Mono fire sucks.Fire isn't a type with good defensive qualities and pure fire pokémon are usually shafted in movepool.

If they made monotype starter trio again it would be Frogshilling 2:Electric Boogaloo
>>32493921
>if they were all dual types
But they aren't.Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>32493993
It isn't, them not being dual types doesn't change the fact that only Fire/Fighting is repeated more than 2 times.

My argument only shows that EVEN if they were ALL dual type, the only overused combination would be Fire/Fighting. And, as other anons pointed out, it was used three times in a row.
>>
I think the issue lies in that it was three gens in a row. I'm sure the reaction would have been the same had Empoleon started a trend and we got three Water/Steel in a row.

Pure types aren't bad either, just boring for a starter. I've always felt starters should have a fairly unique typing -either a very uncommon one like Fire/Dark, or one that hasn't been done yet like Grass/Fire.

Make Gen 8 be Grass/Fire, Fire/Water, and Water/Grass.
>>
>>32493758
Battle style:
>Shitty wall/revenge killer/contrary sweeper
>Supportive pivot/set-up sweeper/shitty mixed wallbreaker
>Mixed wallbreaker/mixed offence, support, revenge killer/mixed wallbreaker
Design:
>Quadruped flower/bipedal fern or tree/grassy snake
>Bipedal turtle/bipedal gator/quadrapedal otter-thing
>Bipedal not-really-a-bird/bipedal monkey/bipedal hog

Why am I even giving you (You)s? >>32493772 should have been /thread

>>32493921
>Sceptile
>Grass/Dark
I don't disagree with your point, but this triggered me
>>
>>32493772
>>32494043
What are your thoughts on so many regional birds being Flying/Normal? Or There being three Fire/Flying birds? Is no thought required for them, because they're not starters? Can types not ever repeat, because putting thought is more important?
>>
>>32493768
>with Incineroar technically being the fourth

are you inane
>>
>>32494043
Here's a thing on the "battle style" part. All of them were shit in Water and Grass category, while all Fire/Fighting weren't.
As for design, the only similarities is the number of legs they use. That's practically nothing.
>>
>>32494043
It's the only typing I can think of him since I did a Randomized Nuzlocke and my Gex the Treecko was Dark type
>>
>>32494064
>regional birds being flying/normal
With the regional birds the focus lies at the Flying-part. They're only part Normal because until gen V it was a rule that Flying was always paired with another type.
>three fire/f;ying birds
Moltres, Ho-Oh and Talonflame. Gen I, II and VI. There are also four water-flying birds and four dark/flying birds. What's your point?

The starters are one of the most visible aspects of a generation and a region, so it's important to put a lot of thought in them. Having three fire/fighting types in a row is absolutely ridiculous. Emboar could've easily been something else. It's wrestler theme is tacked on and could easily be dropped and replaced with something else.
>>
>>32494064
>What are your thoughts on so many regional birds being Flying/Normal?

Literally no one defends this. No one talks about it, because no one cares about Route 1 shitmons.
>>
>>32494198
>The starters are one of the most visible aspects of a generation and a region, so it's important to put a lot of thought in them
Okay, then why does what region or starters came BEFORE matter in this? Yes, Emboar could've been something else. But it didn't suffer from being Fighting, only benefited. And while there another Fire/Fighting Pokemon in the last Generation, and the Generation before, both of them aren't even obtainable in BW or BW2. So you're not exactly having overlaps.
>>
>>32493921
>serperior
>not grass/dragon
>>
>>32494064
>Is no thought required for them, because they're not starters?

That's a strawman, but yes starters should have more thought and creativity put into them. 1/3 f the player base will pick one of them, so try not to do the same shit over and over. If you pick some random fire/flying bird in one game then just pick from dozens of other pokemon.
>>
>>32494266
Anon, regional birds are used a lot. At least according to the Reddit survey about Hall of Fame entries.
Pidgeot and Talonflame were in 50%, Pidgeot being more used than Venusaur and Talonflame more than every Kalos Pokemon besides Greninja.
Staraptor was used more than all of the starters, being the most used Pokemon in Sinnoh.
Swellow, Unfezant and Toucannon were used 28% of times, almost 1/3 of all.

They aren't exactly less important. They're used more than starters almost half the regions.
>>
>>32493921
>Dark instead of Dragon for Sceptile and Serperior
kys
>>
>>32494308
>Unfezant used at all
The poor bastards. How they managed without trashing it by Gym 4 is beyond me.
>>
>>32494431
To be fair, there are people who used Serperior throughout the entire game. Unfezant can at least Fly, instantly becoming more useful.
>>
>>32494308
>Staraptor was used more than all of the starters, being the most used Pokemon in Sinnoh.
Probably because Staraptor is the best regional bird and was fucking OP in cirno. Close Combat and Brave Bird is one helluva drug.
>>
>>32493758
Stop cherry picking fag
>>
>>32494308
>Staraptor was used more than all of the starters, being the most used Pokemon in Sinnoh.
This is probably because of Sinnoh's garbage distribution though, most every D/P team was guaranteed to have Starter/Staraptor/Luxray because you get nothing but shitmons and Bidoof all the way until Eterna Forest.
>>
>>32493963
many people are in fact sick of the water/ground types

Nobody is saying fire/fight is a bad combination. People aren't complaining about viability, people were sick of playing with the same concept for three gens in a row. It's stale.
>>
>>32496232
>many people are in fact sick of the water/ground types
Says fucking who? Water/Ground is an amazing typing with only 1 weakness, and is distributed so that only the pokemon who need it actually get it, unlike shit like Normal/Flying or Bug/Flying or Grass/Poision, you know, typings people are actually fucking tired of.
>>
>>32493768
>with Incineroar technically being the fourth.
I recognize this autism
>>
>>32493906
>2+3=5
>1+2=3 3 added to previous number of 2= 5
>3+4=7 not 5

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>32494431
STAB Return is actually really good.
>>
>>32493768
Incineroar is dark and not fighting bud, don't hate the truth.
>>
>>32496418

Doesn't matter when it's literally a humanoid wrestler
>>
>>32493795
No, they would DEFINTELY have been way less hated if there had been more space between them. If instead of getting 3 Fire/Fighting starters IN A ROW we instead got a varied amount of Fire starters with Fire/Fighting simply being more common (e.g. 3/10), it would've been fine.
>>
>>32494431
Having used every Unova Pokemon in a playthrough, Unfezant was among the top performing. STAB Return on 115 Attack, which is great for in-game, with Super Luck hitting off every so often tore through a lot and Taunt/Roost combination shut down most things that would otherwise threaten it.
>>
File: Buuturcop nigger.png (33KB, 105x144px) Image search: [Google]
Buuturcop nigger.png
33KB, 105x144px
>>32493867
>Another Fire type starter

Ya know, I wouldn't mind this. I'm gonna ask a question now which might come of as dumb, but which secondary type is often shafted in concerns to actually being paired with Fire type?

I'd like to see more of that. Do we even have a Fire/Fairy?
>>
>>32493795
You obviously weren't here for the shitstorm when Emboar was leaked.
>>
>>32493758
Grass types are all green because... all plants photosynthesize. It makes sense.
Water types are all blue because... most fish look blue in the water, I guess? It makes sense to be the color of water if one has such an extent of power over war.
Fire types are red because... fuck all, that's why. Seriously GF, why does every fire type need to be red? This is why Typhlosion is my favorite starter.
>>
>>32497725
And the grass types who arent green tend to be fungi who arent technically plants in botany or things like trevenant who is a dead tree with very little green left if any.
>>
>>32496136
Also because the gen 4 starters were ass.
>>
>>32493768
>incineroar technically being the fourth
What did he mean by this
>>
>>32497794
Why
>>
>>32496443
Who were the overall best in Unova?
>>
>>32496895
I wouldn't want that simply because most fairy types have awful designs.
>>
>>32497794
>implying
If you're talking aesthetically Torterra and Empoleon are awesome and if you're talking about usability Infernape is a near game-breaker
>>
Explain to me why emboar wasn't fire/ground.
>>
>>32493758
>anyone
>happy about Serperior and Samurott
The gen 5 starters are universally agreed to be shit by anyone who isn't a DSbabby. Anyone who's not a nostalgiafag largely agrees the gen 2 starters were shit as well.
>>
>>32496895
Fire/Fairy will be the Fire Rabbit Zodiac starter. Calling it
>>
>>32498517
if anything I'd make him /Dark since its based on Zhu Bajie, a Pig DEMON
>>
>>32493867
And Typhlosion is the worst fire starter designwise and competitively

NOBODY wants another train wreck like that
>>
File: 1492510732887.gif (745KB, 382x450px) Image search: [Google]
1492510732887.gif
745KB, 382x450px
>>32497725
>Fire types are red because...
Red is the color we generally associate fire with?
>>
I thought about this too, but the problem with Fire/Fighting was it's consecutive nature and the limited variation in the Blazefernape play style.
>>
>>32497852
In terms of playing the regular game it was a tossup between Samurott and Emboar. In terms of competitive Serperior shit on them once it got Contrary.
>>
>>32498649
red is Fighting, Fire is orange
>>
>>32498613
> Serperior wasn't Grass/Psychic
> Emboar wasn't Fire/Dark
> Samurott wasn't Water/Fighting
We might've gotten starters that would be a step up from Shinnohs, but NOOPE
>>
>>32497852
It's hard to actually say, most Unova Pokemon were designed exceedingly well for in-game use. Tynamo, Purrloin and Foongus families were the only ones that didn't pull their weight.
The absolute best in my experience was Swanna, though. Kept itself alive against everything that had no electric moves with Roost, had Tailwind support to keep the team momentum and help slower Pokemon with Scald/Air Slash RNG shenanigans that abused just about every opponent.
>>
>>32500720
Fighting is some shade of brown
>>
>>32493906
THIS
I'm not mad at the fire/fighting- Mad at the fucking lazy gen 5 starters
>>
>>32497852
>>32500909
Most of the dex is great for smashing through the game when they're fully evolved. The problem being that when you get near the end of the game, the levels to evolve anything go through the roof. Here are the worst examples with the highest levels you can encounter their prevos in the wild in BW1. Keep in mind that the 8th gym tops out at a level 43 Haxorus, and Ghetsis' Hydreigon is level 54:
>Mandibuzz/Braviary - 54 (Prevo 39)
>Bisharp - 52 (Prevo 39)
>Golurk - 43 (Prevo 33)
>Ferrothorn - 40 (Prevo 27)
>Beheeyem - 42 (Prevo 29)
>Eelektrik - 39 (Prevo 27, and it can only learn 4 fucking moves)
>Fucking Lampent - 41(Prevo 29)
>Mienshao - 50 (Prevo - 41 on V. Road)

When you get shit like Excadrill at level 31, Darm at 35, Crustle at 34 and Gurdurr at 25 there's no reason to gimp your party for 10+ levels when what you were given mid-early game is so much easier to use.

As a fan of gen 5, including its Pokedex (starters excluded), this is the shit that pisses me off the most. So many cool options become available in the endgame, but the effort vs payoff is nowhere near worth it.

tl;dr: Evolution scaling is fucked, so by the time you hit midgame your team is set in stone.
>>
>>32500916
Firefighting
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.