[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/thoughts thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: Pokémon_X_and_Y_screenshot_13.jpg (31KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon_X_and_Y_screenshot_13.jpg
31KB, 400x240px
You know what, honestly, I will fucking miss these chibi models, why would I do? Because when I'm now replaying older games and remembering my bicycle simulator to hatch my eggs in X, it just reached to me, that these chibi's were literally PERFECTION for pokemon like game, they has ideal proportions, the overworld was perfectly big, the camera angle was nice and probably could be even nicer if we could just set up it in any angle we like, you guess my point?

In sun and moon everything became overgrown, and models expressions alone were lifeless like never we seen before, it was just not like it should be done for that kind of game without truly open world like in zelda for wii u or switch, sun and moon proportions felt like they were ready to create something much bigger and better, while they literally made only 4 islands, with routes and places like from final fantasy, there was no good camera angle to cover things in such way like older games were doing, it was impossible because the screen was too small for the map ect.

maybe I'm overthinking, but for me these games lost that old charm of perfectly scaled world
>>
>>32493578
Chibis were great. SM looks good but the world is way limited by the graphics for the realistic style to work
>>
>>32493578
The thing with super deformed graphics is that it looks good in low resolution, you can see the face better among others things, realistic proportions in small resolution looks a bit more cluttered, but imo it's not a problem for me, I really like the direction that Sun/Moon took, the routes finally have a complex layout instead of trying to mimic the 2D games with ""minecraft style"", with better hardware it will look even better in the future.
>>
>>32493616

even better lifeless faces?
>>
>>32493578
I still prefer how sprite looks, especially considering how Gamefreak fucked up so many models for Pokemon.
>>
the way i see it, the problem (and the biggest in sun moon for me) is the camera. it shows way to little, it moves weirdly and most of the time shows weird angles
>>
>>32493792
There's something about the minimalist look of sprites that makes them look better. They leave most of the details to your imagination.
>>
>>32493578

There is no inherent charm

you grew up with it so your brain is autistically screeching over any changes made

don't fall for the nostalgia trap

don't become a glorified genwunner
>>
>>32493917

but sm looks retarded...
>>
>>32493922

I grew up playing Emerald, and I was pretty much waiting for the transition to full 3D for a good 10 years since I finished it.

SM, XY, and ORAS both look perfectly fine, even if the 'mons have WAY too many polygons.
>>
>>32493936

"both"

jesus christ brain damage

i meant all.
>>
>>32493578
>ect

What did he mean by this?
>>
Holy fucking shit, the formula is true, you complained all fucking day about XY's chibis, and now that SM is out it turns out they were good.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>32493578

These chibis were shit. Nothing like having them stare soullessly in your face with a shitty, effortless blink cycle that is literally 1 frame of animation with no idle animation for every single cutscene.

Nothing like any character that wasn't a child looking like absolute garbage (Lysandre, Archie, etc) and not being able to take them seriously. There was no charm to lose.

SM has the same issues with the lazy 1 frame blink that looks awful, and with some soullessness from the player, but at least they breathe, emote decently. More effort is needed though. A lot more.
>>
>>32493945

what...? I'm just sharing personal thoughts after replaying old titles, they looks much better, especially XY
>>
>>32494007

meh, I always bothered to tell own story, that was significant to pokemon game
>>
>>32493922
SM looking bad has nothing to do with non-chibi models being inherently worse.

I swear, does anyone on this fucking board play any other games besides Pokemon? Most RPGs use full models and look perfectly fine, because their teams aren't fucking incompetent and dated as fuck. That's on Gamefreak for sucking, not non-chibi models somehow being bad.

Besides, the chibi models looked like shit too anyway.
>>
>>32493945
Nobody complained about XY's chibis when the came out. People only started complaining about XY's chibis when they started getting used to SM's models and thought it looked weird looking back.

It's the same as people who like the jump to 3D but can look back and miss sprites. "Everyone" fucking loved the jump to 3D. But then you get all these "the sprites had so much character compared to washed out models" threads all the time and you're not shitting those up
>>
>>32494114

denial fag cannot agree that player will share stronger bond with little chibi pokeymon trainer that is his/her personification, than with the full model retarded random as ass japanese kid
>>
this is the problem there...

back when we had sprites and chibi's in xy/oras it was like; "look at this little guy, it's me dropped into overworld to have long as ass adventure" now it feels blank... especially that the trainer npc's are not funny as they were before, I still like when they running around or spin looking for something 24h/7, chibi's could share more advanced expression, the same as the full 3d models, it's not that hard
>>
>>32493945
I never had issues with the chibi models in XY and ORAS. SM moving to proper proportioned models itself is whatever to me, but it doesn't work out well for 3DS. Basically every other RPG realizes that for the hardware chibi is the way to go, with the exceptions being all trash games like Conception II or Fossil Fighters Frontier. Even Dragon Quest XI, which has incredibly impressive fully modelled graphics on PS4, realizes full proportions isn't the way to go on 3DS.
>>
>>32493792
Or maybe it's just your autism, considering GF's sprites look like shit to begin with. Not that the models are that much better.
>>
>>32493792
Personally love the 3D models for most pokemon, really thought I wouldn't at first.
>>
I dont miss the chibi models, but I dont suddenly hate them just because SM is out. And in the end the best looking combination of overworld and people is still HGSS and Gen 5 for me. I dont consider sprites a downgrade, just a different art style, and the older style was better. SM look fine but if they are going to fail with emotion on the MC that hard I'd prefer they didnt do it

>>32493917
nostalgia is a rebutal without an argument. You dont need to argue everything, just dismiss the other point as wrong with an unquantifiable, immesurable "thing" that is totally there even though it cant be proven or dis-proven.

>>32493945
>/vp/ is one person
this retard is worse
>>
>>32493578
>>32493586
>>32493792
>>32493890
>>32493922
>>32494140
>>32494163
This is absolute proof of the /vp/ cycle. The same thing happened with ride pokemon/HM removal. GF added something that any vidya player would say is a good thing, but /vp/ needs to say that it was a downgrade.

Are you really fucking trying to tell me that a minecraft-esque shitty-looking chibi model is better than a more realistic model? Jesus christ. All you're doing is making it even more obvious that nostalgia is the only thing that dictated your opinion.

And don't even get me started on the sprite vs models "debate".
>>
>>32494312
Stop forcing the Zelda Cycle on pokemon.

No, people not instantly liking an art style because it's new isnt "proof" of anything and /vp/ not falling in line with your opinions is not "proof" of anything.

And stop mixing up "any vidya player would like it more" with "I like it more." Get over yourself and then fuck off
>>
>>32494312
>>32493616
>Minecraft
>>
>>32494312
The old HM system and Ride both suck in different ways.
>>
File: pokemon-center-197181-1280x0.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-center-197181-1280x0.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
I really like the Sun and Moon graphics and i don't know why someone can think that the XY general game artstyle is better.
The chibis, the dull pallete full of washed colors, the textures... The game itself is only a bit less ugly than DP.
I think that SM is one of the best looking games on the 3ds platform.
>>
File: 1468880802958.gif (1MB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
1468880802958.gif
1MB, 500x301px
>>32494459
bad picture
>>
>>32494459
SM's textures are just as "bad". Either way it's PS1 tier outside of trainer faces in battle.
>>
>>32494588
Well is a 3ds, what do you expect?
>>
>>32493945
>>32494312
anyone who pretends there is a Pokemon Cycle is a retard
>>
File: duck.jpg (40KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
40KB, 500x371px
I'll miss sprites, I know it's lesser than 3D models but it was always nice seeing how they changed each gen. I have a feeling they'll stick with the same models and animations for a while, and in SM they already felt boring to me as I've seen em all in XY. Maybe it's that they're lacking personality out of the petting game, I dunno.
>>
>>32494312
>Nostalgia
Stop using this buzzword already
>>
>>32493578
The chibi models look like dogshit regardless of the camera angle.
Blurry faces and warped clothing, at least on the SM ones you can see the clothes you picked out properly without having to check your trainer card and the faces are a little less like someone made them in MS paint with the zoom tool.
I think what you're rather missing is the grid based overworld given your second paragraph.
>>
>>32493578
I guess there's a sense of scope that was lost in SM but not because of the chibi models, which personally I didn't like and now look kind of awful. Either way the 3D character models still have to match the job they did with sprites up to B2W2.
>>
Chibi models are shit. It is abslutely awful going back to ORAS and XY after playing SM
>>
>>32494950
The sprites had no personality because there WAS no petting game. Just rehashed phrases for """following pokemon."""
>>
>>32493616
>minecraft style

They can't be copying off of minecraft if they were doing it way before minecraft was made.
>>
>>32497499
I can still go back to Gen 2 easily, I dont see how people have a hard time just playing a game from a year ago
>>
>>32497403
I also feel like there was a loss of scope, but I can't put my finger on exactly why.
>>
>>32497565
The full 3D made everything smaller. Think about how absolutely massive Goldenrod or Castelia would be with SM's proportions, then look at the size of Hau'oli City
>>
>>32497551
Gen 2 Is sprites not shitty 3d chibi.
>>
>>32497565
>>32497581
I think the way the region was presented didn't really help with that either.
>>
>>32497585
That's a good point
>>
>>32497756
what do you mean?
>>
>>32498338
Like, compare to Kalos which is a generic region for all intents and purposes, it felt like Kalos had more unfold mysteries where as with Alola the region seems rather sparse and we had everything thrown at us in the game, sure there was a good bunch of Poni in the post game but that's that, it felt barren in comparison.
>>
File: 62730585_p0_master1200.jpg (60KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
62730585_p0_master1200.jpg
60KB, 1024x1024px
>>32493578
I don't.

Fuck, I wanted Black and White to use overworld graphics like fucking Ranger 1.
>>
>>32498361
I get what you mean. Ever since Kalos, all the lore of the region is given to you in the story which makes the region feel empty because there is less to discover
>>
>>32497581

pretty much this is the biggest deal with new games, they are too big for the 3ds, maybe switch will scale down what been lost
>>
>>32499626
>Hau'oli City

they even made route gate like portal to the fucking city to make 3ds handle the area by cropping it on the screen to the very minimum like a bunch of retards
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.