[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is SM worth buying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: SM box art.jpg (300KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
SM box art.jpg
300KB, 1200x630px
Now that the hype has worn off, can you guys recommend me buying SM? The game is 30-40 euros right now, which is not cheap for a game.

A common complaint of SM is that it's very linear, 'hand-holdy' and heavy on story. I disliked XY for those exact reasons. Also, isn't the post game quite short?

Anyways, I'd love some opinions.
>>
>>32480620
The game is quite hand-holdy with a fair amount of cutscenes, but I still had a lot of fun with it.
Also, if your firmware is 11.3 or below, just pirate it.
3ds.guide
>>
>>32480620
Do you HAVE to buy it now? You may want to wait a month or so and see if they announce something new before making your decision.

But apart from that, yes it's worth buying. It's the most enjoyable game since B2W2, and I'd even argue beyond that toward HGSS.
>>
>>32480620
Maybe you should just look into a different game series OP doesn't sound like you like pokemon games very much.

If you haven't fucking realized these are children's game and are just going to keep getting easier no matter what because you're getting older smarter and know the series then you're fucking retarded and deserve to waste your 40 bucks
>>
>>32480620
Fuck no, biggest waste of money in my life.
>>
>>32480620
Okay, now you respond to this post with your same 500 word copypasta on why pokemon sm raped your dog and ate your mother
>>
>>32480620
If you disliked XY, this isn't for you.
>>
>>32480643
I've noticed that Pokemon games generally tend to get more expensive the longer they're out. Right now, SM are around 30-40 euros. ORAS are 40, BW are 40+ and HGSS are even more expensive.

But I guess waiting a month won't hurt. I guess I can occupy myself with emulated games.

Also, I'm surprised that you're so positive about this game since /vp/ seems so negative.
>>
>>32480620
Do not buy
Do not buy
It's complete ass
>>
>>32480668
I do like the Pokemon series, thank you very much. XY in particular was bad because it focused heavily on story, which has never been Pokemon's strong suit.

Also, I'd argue that the Pokemon series is objectively getting easier, and not because I know the series well.
>>
>>32480620
>press a to go through gate
>cuts to black
>you walked through the tiny gate
>>
>>32480620
Your post sounds like you're just a casual player, which means you probably won't replay it multiple times, try to finish it fast for any reason, try to force your own rules upon the game, or do much post-game business if at all.
In that case, I can definitely recommend it if you like Pokémon games. It has a great story and characters, and the best battle mechanics/battle ui of any game, as well as a great AI that will make sure you suffer at certain points if you didn't level your team properly. It only lacks triple/rotation battles, which is sad.
The region, while having a great atmosphere, feels quite small/short and unfinished, and doesn't have much of the "exploration" older games had. It barely has any puzzles is very linear. The game also suffers from performance issues during double battles and battle royales, as well as in several parts of the overworld such as riding tauros across the street in hau'oli city where the pokemon centre is located (not sure if it also happens on N3DS).

Overall, it is a solid first game of a generation, and a breath of fresh air after the shit that was gen6, though, unfortunately lacking in several departments.
It's shat upon on this board like any new game, mostly because it was a disappointment after the huge hype for a 20th aniversary game and such, and because this board is filled with people who barely play any other games and sun/moon barely have any longetivity/replayability except for competitive/shiny hunting.

I would wait until next weekend though, people here are expecting a new announcement around this time, since it's been around the same date a few times before. But if you don't care about a newer release (which will take at least half a year to be released anyway), it's definitely not a waste of money if you like Pokémon.
>>
>>32480686
There's some talk that there may or may not be a Pokemon-related Direct at the end of this month based on a late-added Direct into the schedule, which is why I say it can't hurt to wait.

And I'm positive because /vp/ dwells so hard on the negatives and completely ignores the positives, like Ride Pokemon, the rise in difficulty as the game progresses (compared to 6th gen which is easy throughout), the new and diverse Pokemon to play with, SOS chaining which I found to be so much fun since it became a thrill to hunt rare Pokemon, and the full-sized character models, that could go hatless, which was a pretty huge step from the chibis we had before.
>>
>>32480620
It's a solid game. Much, much better than XY or ORAS. However it does have flaws just as every game does.

It's pretty linear, but that isn't automatically a bad thing. It means that the levels can be scaled perfectly and there's a really good level curve.

There's tons (more than any other game has added previously) of QOL improvements. I would probably exceed the character limit if I listed all of them.

Overall its not perfect but definitely worth a buy. Not as good as HGSS or BW2, but definitely the best first pair of games ina. generation.
>>
>>32480620
>2017
>not pirating
>>
>>32480843
>QOL improvements
what?
>>
>>32480853
Quality of life.
>>
>>32480875
No, I mean, what the fuck are you talking about when you say quality of life improvements in a game that won't let you play for more than a few seconds before shoving another cut scene in your face?
SM are infuriating games.
>>
>>32480843
>Much, much better than XY or ORAS
Well i had way more fun with XY than SM so nope.
>>
>>32480620
It's a good game without any doubt, probably the best experience which i had with a Pokémon game since BW.
>>
>>32480921
I agree with this guy.
Just did a bug mono run in Y, and it was a hell of a lot more fun than Sun was. Sun is the most limiting pokemon game ever made. I mean, there's a literal marker saying "go here for next cut scene"
>>
>>32480892
QOL improvements refer to SMALL things that make playing the game a lot better. An example is the "Repel's effect wore off. Use another?" message from gen 5. Another is the ability to add a mon you just caught to your party if its already full thing from gen 7.

>>32480921
Oh shit dude you sure proved me wrong
>>
>>32480628
>>32480643
>>32480748
>>32480843
>>32480932
Cute anons who are able to see a game objectively and know that a few flaws don't automatically make an otherwise great game shitty
>>
>>32480620
2nd best game imo, behind hgss
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.