[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pmdg/ - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 24

File: (You).jpg (18KB, 325x255px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
18KB, 325x255px
Strange markings Edition. Previous thread: >>32371306

PSMD and Gates download: http://pastebin.com/kh7GcnYm

Check the guides at >>>/vg/hbg if you don't know how to install them. You won't lose any online features or anything doing so, don't worry. You'll be able to do everything that you'd normally be able to and much more!

MD Exploration Pack, which contains a DS emulator and roms, Wiiware .wads, and custom portraits: https://mega.nz/#F!gFlVkSLI!tXbyoO5rwfUYnb9jf7yVsQ

/vp/'s Mystery Dungeon guides: http://pastebin.com/Dbq61R5u

PSMD Wondermail codes: http://www.cpokemon.com/2015/11/24/todas-las-contrasenas-wonder-mail-

REMINDER: If you need a rescue, post your region. Due to a few things that make no sense, rescues are region locked. It's shitty, but be sure to mention if you're European or American.
>>
File: 1486356479751.png (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1486356479751.png
3KB, 160x160px
First for sadness
>>
>>32477306
Grats on that 100% recruitment, OP.
Enjoy the despair of having nothing left to do.
>>
I wonder if any other custom portraits have been made. Found these recently.
>>
You know how in every game you or your partner have to disappear after the world is saved?
What if instead you or your partner made a noble sacrifice?
The problem would be how post-game would work, but one solution could be the sacrifice was nonlethal, such as being trapped in the void/oblivion, separated, or in some sort of stasis.
Separation is one idea of an early post-game, where your partner (and the player him/herself) believes that you've died, but clues suggest that you are actually elsewhere, somewhere strange yet semi-physical. The early post-game has separate dungeons for your character and your partner until you are finally reunited. From there the loose ends of the plot are tied in the next few post-game chapters.
>>
>>32477572
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzlWYOuPPo
>>
>>32478019
Well, I still have that 40F level reset dungeon to do, but other than that, yeah, you're right. I guess I'll move back to Sky or RT if I feel like more, since I've never played their respetive postgames
>>
>>32479303
If you're going for recruiting everything in Rescue Team, good luck. That one's a doozy.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 1001x1001px
>>
>>32482414
sleep tight steeler
>>
VPMD
>>32483437
>>
Boy is this general super dead.
>>
>>32486567
It doesn't matter how inactive we are!
It doesn't matter how dead we seem!
As long as we can still post...
We will never give up!
>>
Don't give up.
>>
>>32486623
>>32487440
The fire will never die!
>>
this series gives me a new appreciation of certain Pokemon
I never knew I could like a Bidoof
>>
>>32487547
>tfw still no new chapter
Just kill me already fampai.
>>
>>32487771
I'm up to Chapter 42.
Without spoiling anything beyond that point and while covering other pre-Ch42 spoilers for everyone else, do you think this story could be modified into a game story? Maybe some added gameplay or environment interaction or set-up?
>>
>>32489058
>I'm up to Chapter 42.
Ouch. The upcoming walk and especially the climb up to the Temporal Tower is a fucking pain to read, and a few things of this arc (especially it's conclusion) barely make sense. I hope you prevail, as the next arc picks up again.

>Without spoiling anything beyond that point and while covering other pre-Ch42 spoilers for everyone else, do you think this story could be modified into a game story? Maybe some added gameplay or environment interaction or set-up?
Short answer: It's a different kind of medium, and as such would need tons of adaptation for it to even resemble something workable.
Long answer: It's an idea I'd been toying around with as well while reading this fic, since, especially in the first part, it revolves a lot around the daily routine of exploring a dungeon, and coming back to the base. However, especially around the arc you're in now, it's very story-heavy, and after the arc you're at, it moves the focus away from the exploration of dungeons. My point is, that besides needing to add a lot of different types of gameplay for the different tasks and dungeon mechanics (especially in Temporal Tower) that take place in this fic, you'd either end up with too much story and too little actually meaningful gameplay, or you'd end up with a really different story. Besides, in RPGs you're usually supposed to be able to self-insert, and that's really hard with such a well fleshed-out MC.
>>
where's the best place to get gummis and level up in rescue team? I just got gardevoir and leveling her up is an absolute pain, she gets KO'd really easily
>>
>>32489487
>nobody reads my guides anymore

Uproar Forest has shitloads of Green Gummis, give them to Gardevoir in their friend area. For leveling up, Team Hydro with linked Wide Slash/Western Cave
>>
>>32489523
shit sorry I should've read the OP
>>
>>32489420
I would assume that making a game plot into a story is much harder than the other way around because you have to flesh out characters, but either way some chapter scenarios and characters may change.

The other factor is that the game has to be E-rated, whereas a fic can theoretically be any rating including M-rated, although anything past a T rating is likely going to either be furfaggotry or edgy as fuck. That might be where fics have the advantage because you don't have to plan around endless gameplay or the no on-screen deaths rule.

I remember reading "Pokemon: The Unknown Continuum", which is a fic adaptation of PMD Explorers. I didn't hate it or regret reading it, but I hesitate to say whether or not it was good because I am not sure if my tastes are adequate to say if something is "good". I can safely say that the main character is not boring or a Mary Sue.
What I noticed is that the two main characters were a foil to one another and while there were changes to the story, the overall summary was mostly intact. The author said he would've made more changes to the story, though.
>>
>>32491040
>The other factor is that the game has to be E-rated
Not if it's a fangame
>>
>>32491057
>PMD fangame
We all wish, but that requires talent and work. Plus Nintendo hates no-profit quality fangames.
>>
>>32491129
That's not exactly a problem though.
>>
>>32491156
Didn't Nintendo bring down the hammer on one fanmade Pokemon game? Or was that a long time ago? I don't know the details.
>>
>>32492284
Pokemon Prism got hit with one several months ago. It's such a shame. I had a lot of fun with it.
>>
>>32492284
just ignore them lol
>>
>>32492284
They won't know to bring the hammer down if you don't shout it's existence from the rooftops when you're only halfway through completing it.
Only problem with keeping it to yourself until it's done is that you might start to loose interest without external feedback or support of some sort.
>>
>>32492327
alternatively, do it publicly without actually breaking copyright laws until it's the right time
>>
>>32492303
I remember that. Pokemon Prism was the ultimate Pokemon fan game.
>>
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/site/mysterydungeon/
cool
>>
To make things interesting, posting remixed music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5JnfyAh_4

While I liked Super's music, RT and Explorers had this... vibe. This feeling of wandering in unknown and fantastic territory. Maybe I haven't been listening enough to all of the games. Are things different in vibes aside from soundbox?
>>
>>32494591
Prism really fell off after the E4. I dropped the game when i needed to get like 300 tickets from the Battle Arcade just to get to the final area
>>
VPMD bump
>>32496969
>>
How would you implement z crystals in the next game?
How would you fix Mega Evolution so it's not so much garbage as it was in super
>>
Post VPMD bump.
To make this slightly related, I really like how VPMD uses environmental hazards during boss fights. Wish the actual PMDs would do that more.
>>
>>32498243
would make more sense than a bunch of unevolved starter pokemon defeating a legendary on their own
>>
>>32498239
Add Z-Moves through something something team link bullshit

Remove Berserk status from the game, make Mega Evolution last a set number of floors.
>>
>>32498276
>>32498243
I've heard of the idea of environmental exploitation in the previous thread.
Copypasted from >>32421448

>Guzzlord is fought like a normal boss, except there are rocks that you can hide behind and volatile fruit that grows in the arena. Guzzlord has a standard moveset, but can also do more things. Guzzlord can inhale, which temporarily lifts the grid and creates a 90 deg vortex that draws Pokemon, items, and objects in. If Guzzlord chomps on you, you'll be in a world of hurt, but this attack can be resisted by moving (parallel to the wind) or avoided by behind rocks or getting out of the suck zone. Guzzlord's other attack is rampage, which also causes the grid to temporarily lift so that you can once again run freely, but this is so that you can outmaneuver Guzzlord while it's running at you. Rocks won't save you unless he runs into multiple ones, which will stun him from impact fatigue.

There was also an idea of an unconventional form of boss battling:
>The boss floor functions like a minigame. You run around a looping map of a forest, with no gridlock like you do in certain areas in GtI. Guzzlord is untouchable and deals massive damage on contact unless you do certain actions . There are two ways to make it vulnerable. One way is to run behind a very large object, which Guzzlord will devour, but requires a little time to ingest an object that big. While Guzzlord is eating, the grid will drop and you can fight it, but Guzzlord can still swing back, even while distracted. The other way involves less fighting but more running, because it requires collecting special spicy fruits and dropping them in rapid succession for Guzzlord to eat. This will cause an explosive overload that will make Guzzlord vulnerable, only this time it will be stunned, so you can just pummel without worry of immediate retaliation.
>>
>>32498687
>>32498276
>>32498243

From >>32428624 and >>32430238

Nihilego:
>In this fight, you are faced with multiple Nihilego and a Nihilego-Pokemon hybrid of a particular Pokemon, but you not only have your team but your allies. The problem is that in this fight there is a status condition that not only does poison damage, but also causes the Pokemon's attack moves to change to Thrash as long as the condition is present. The good news is that the dungeon has a conveniently high amount of Pecha Berries that work on this condition, so you should be fine if you're hoarding.
The Nihilego hybrid is formidable, has long-reach, and is reckless. The hybrid has the moves and abilities of the (Pokemon), but also has the abilities and additional typings of Nihilego. The hybrid's moves also have greater range and a chance of poisoning.
Bulbasaur normally has immunity to poisoning, but I don't know if Nihilego is an exception.

Celesteela:
>In addition to its regular moves, Celesteela can do a special attack with its boosters.
On the first turn it charges up, giving you time to get out of the way, and on the second it releases blasts from its boosters in the form of a 3-tile-wide line attack. The recoil from this attack sends Celesteela back a tile in the opposite direction.
The blasts are very powerful, so tanking them head-on is not the optimal strategy, and because they're so wide you won't often be able to sneak a safe attack in.
Instead, the idea is to have you and your teammates move smartly around the path of the beams and drive Celesteela backwards while avoiding its attacks as much as you can. If you drive it back far enough in a certain direction it might blast itself into some wall tiles. The walls are destroyed and Celestela becomes confused, giving you an opportunity to attack while it lashes out wildly, and after a while of this it recovers and resumes its booster assault.
>>
>>32498243
>>32498276
>>32498687
Last one.

Xurkitree:
>Xurkitree stands in the back of the room with pulsing landlines of electricity whose paths converge at Xurkitree. Xurkitree is untouchable due to sheer electric power and has too much defense on top of that, so what you need to do is get Xurkitree stunned so that you can do significant damage. Xurkitree has a few special attacks as well.
To stun Xurkitree, you must find the weak point of the landline and break it with any attack. Be careful, though, because every so often the line will glow, indicating that electricity will surge, and after that turn the electriticy will flow, making walking or making contact with the line an electrical hazard for one or two turns. As long as at least one landline is disconnected, Xurkitree will no longer be untouchable and can be struck, but severing multiples allows you to attack for longer while also lowering Xurkitree's defense boost more.
Xurkitree will fight with regular moves if you get too close, but it has a few tricks up its sleeve. One ability causes Xurkitree to glow, which causes the room to get bright and electrical. If you are not hiding behind something, you will take a little Electric damage, but if you are looking in Xurkitree's general direction, you will suffer a drop in accuracy. This attack is really weak, but it has incredible range and is not telegraphed.
Xurkitree can also lock on a bolt of lightning onto a Pokemon. That Pokemon only has a few turns to react before getting struck. Getting near Xurkitree or moving away from the landlines onto certain tilespaces will cancel the effect.
Xurkitree can also charge up and overload the landlines, creating very few safe tiles to stand on by the time it unleashes. The drawback for Xurkitree is that the lines become broken, giving you plenty of time before Xurkitree's defenses build back up.
>>
>>32498293
>set number of floors
I'd say a set number of turns would be better.
>>
>>32498239
>How would you implement z crystals in the next game?
Items that you need to find during dungeon exploration, can't be lost in defeat, but have their own, random wear. Weaker and stronger pokes react to your stones by fleeing and charging head on, respectively. Moves are usable once per dungeon section.

>How would you fix Mega Evolution so it's not so much garbage as it was in super
The more poke uses MEvo the more it can fight with side effects, but forcibly countering mental effects of MEvo is taxing to their life.
>>
>>32498687
>>32498697
>>32498705
Someone tell tomy to get on those ultra beast figures already so I can steal these
>>
Another possibility for strategic boss battles (for PMD) is to not only have hazards to help you in the battle but also spawned items that enable you to exploit them. Perhaps having Whirlwind Wands to knock enemy Pokemon into nasty hazards such as spikes. Or the hazards make the fight harder and must be taken into account.
The other way is to have an alternate victory or defeat conditions, such as destroying or protecting a structure or fighting through a gauntlet of enemies while protecting someone or something.

There is also one idea of pre-set dungeons rather than randomly generated ones. This would allow interesting things to happen and make things much more fair, such as having time(step)-limits, stealth, jailbreaking, puzzles, and all sorts of shit.
>>
This board is slow as fuck, how does this general always drop to page 8/9 so fast?
>>
>>32501777
Because /vp/ is infested with pedos and furries. Non-furry pedos don't care about PMD, and /pmdg/ tries not to be furry, so you get starved from both.
>>
>>32502144
I'm pretty sure both are here. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be any reason to try to not make it shti
>>
File: It's a monster house!.png (255KB, 496x479px) Image search: [Google]
It's a monster house!.png
255KB, 496x479px
filename bump
>>
>>32502144
>/pmdg/ tries not to be furry,
...what? PMD is what happens when you add more furry to the pokemon franchise, but what does /pmdg/ even do to try not to be furry?
>>
>>32503484
We mostly talk about the games themselves. You know, that's what the general is about.
>>
>>32503529
Eh, that's true I guess, but that's also the reason this general is dead when everyone's finished the games.
>>
>>32503595
Better being extremely slow than being a generic furry thread
>>
VPMD bump
>>32504083
>>
The catalog is such a mess right now.
>>
>>32498239
have them be similar to emeras. Only in dungeons, cant be saved after. Dont break over time like emeras but can be thrown for dust to make a different random type crystal. When held, Causes damaging moves of the correct type to do 5x normal damage, or the usual effect for z-status moves. Breaks after 1 use
>>
>>32503595
Anyone wanna run the games together in parallel? It's not like we couldn't help each other!
>>
>>32503529
>the games
More like complaining about the plot only to write trite fanfic-tier bullshit and claiming it's better, shitting on people liking x starter, Drifblim copypasta, or never getting over the break system and how no nicknames is the worst thing ever.
There's so much shit that's still undiscovered or not discussed enough in the games (Wiiware and the 3DS games especially) but the same shit gets argued all the time.
>>
>>32506650
>still undiscovered or not discussed enough in the games
Anything you had in mind in particular? It doesn't seem like anyone has anything to discuss at the moment, given how inactive th general has been recently
>>
>>32506650
I'd talk about the wiiware games if i could READ THEM
>>
oi senpaitachi
chests in Zero isles replenish themselves on each attempt, do they?
>>
>>32506527
Maybe this weekend? I'm looking to replay RT. Maybe livestreams could be interesting.
Anyone else interested?
>>
>>32506997
yes

>>32507025
i am
>>
File: char.png (1KB, 40x40px) Image search: [Google]
char.png
1KB, 40x40px
>>32506650
>complaining about the plot only to write trite fanfic-tier bullshit and claiming it's better
Like what in particular? What is complete trite and bullshit? What do you think would make a great plot?

>never getting over the break system
>no nicknames is the worst thing ever
I'm already over this, but people are always going to complain

>shitting on people liking x starter
>Drifblim copypasta
And people are always going to shitpost

>There's so much that's still undiscovered or not discussed enough in the games
>Wiiware
Wiiware doesn't even have a english patch or anything, so how can I play it? >>32506921

>and the 3DS games especially
Well what else is there to discuss about GtI and Super?
Super's been talked about to death about both pros and cons, as well as GtI.
You want us to discuss the Magnagates in GtI and what round things we've scanned and what dungeons we got?
At the top of my head, that's one of the very few things that aren't discussed enough and it's not much.
>>
>>32506650
>>32507055
>charmander response
worst starter lol!

there's no getting over the break system

also
>>32507025
sure i guess
anyone know where to find a randomizer and a way to change the starter?
>>
>>32507055
About all you can do is use the AS menu translation me and some other guy made, and only one of us can read japanese.

>>32507073
the mega link in the OP should still have Sky Editor, you can't change starter for RT
>>
>>32507073
there's a randomizer (that if i remember correctly was supposed to be in development and would eventually support more games, but there hasn't been any update in a while) but it only supports sky
>>
File: 100%.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
100%.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>tfw no desire to play any of the PMD games

i've beaten them all completely, there's nothing left to do, and it's kind of sad.
>>
>>32506527
But we did that last year.
>>
>>32507268
we could do it again
>>
>>32507250
>tfw the perfect PMD fucking never
just off me senpai
>>
>>32507250
What's supposed to be the dots you still have left? Is that unobtainable?
>>
>>32507284
Is anyone willing to host and organize this? I could try myself but I've never done it before and have no idea what is even expected from it. Will try if noone else steps up for it though.
>>
>>32508978
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1463005633147.png (25KB, 222x259px) Image search: [Google]
1463005633147.png
25KB, 222x259px
>>32506650
>More like complaining about the plot only to write trite fanfic-tier bullshit and claiming it's better
No one has claimed it to be better. And what is fanfic about it?

>shitting on people liking x starter
Most of us do it ironically.

> never getting over the break system and how no nicknames is the worst thing ever
It's a horrible thing because it was a stupid downgrade that had no reason to exist. The break system took EFFORT to develop.

>>32508978
Why do you fucking care? It's not like PMD is going to come out any time soon, so we might as well do some questing. Why don't you just ignore it and be grateful that a thread devoid of pedos on /vp/ has bumped because of it?
>>
>>32508978
>being this mad
I know it's ironic but at least it keeps the thread alive. While I don't follow it anymore because it goes too fast for me and usually takes place when I'm sleeping, I'm glad at least for that, and it really doesn't spam the thread, nor is it irritating.
Please propose a better discussion topic that is not about your autism.
>>
>>32509022
>devoid of pedos
>on 4chan
Oh, anon.
>>
>>32509037
*out of the closet pedos who defend their lust

I should've specified.
>>
I never played a PMD game and I'm currently installing Super Mystery Dungeon.
What should i expect ? will there be any challenge ?
>>
>>32509613
a good game with a major flaw that may make you hate it if you use anything other than your starters
yes
>>
>>32509613
While I'd recommend playing RT first, since going back if you want more will be hard due to missing QoL features, just play whatever you feel like.
What you should expect is a slow start, that will possibly be boring if you don't like it. The difficulty of the dungeons make it worth it, but since you're a first-time player I don't expect you'll have much trouble figuring out how to spam items instead of grinding. If you don't like the first part, just try to enjoy the dungeons, music and general atmosphere. It picks up after you get out of the town.
Don't be afraid to post SOS mail here, I wouldn't mind handing you a useful item or two. (Just be sure to post the code and not just the QR code since my camera's broken).

All in all, just enjoy the ride while it lasts, since you'll be longing for more, if you like it.
>>
>>32509667
The pastebin said i could use most mons, does it not apply on this game ?

>>32509687
I won't be able to use SOS i think, i got a cracked version.
>>
>>32509774
You can, but only if you choose them as your starter (and you have to mod the game for that)
>>
>>32508957
make every pokemon a leader of the team, which is essentially filler, considering the fact i think you need to enter a dungeon with a different leader like 400 times
>>
>>32509774
you can use any pokemon and with enough work they can all become good, it's just Super has a stupid as fuck break system
>>
File: 1487996161176.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1487996161176.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>32500940
I hope that there could be puzzles implemented. Having hazards might also give underleveled/speedrunning players a way to overcome obstacles by rewarding resourcefulness and cunning.
>>
>>32509774
>I won't be able to use SOS i think, i got a cracked version.
"Cracked version" == Legit version.
The game can't tell the difference if the firmware tells it it's legit.
>>
@32508978
>VPMD himself posts in the thread
>don't reply to him
Now I know you're just fucking with me. No (You) for you.
>>
File: Mewtwo.jpg (22KB, 164x216px) Image search: [Google]
Mewtwo.jpg
22KB, 164x216px
Where were you when Jen became irrelevant to the plot of Victory Fire and Mewtwo became the main character?
>>
>>32512269
what's wrong with his face?
>>
File: jewtwo.png (394KB, 492x339px) Image search: [Google]
jewtwo.png
394KB, 492x339px
>>32512334
The snout is replaced with a human nose and mouth.
>>
>tfw just barely finish purity forest as kecleon with a parasect on my ass
never again
>>
File: dusk.jpg (231KB, 928x680px) Image search: [Google]
dusk.jpg
231KB, 928x680px
Are there any good PMD fan animations aside from this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pemN5Sq10Q
>>
>>32513007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw2K0llgXBQ
this one is nice, maybe not that complex though
>>
>>32513007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmnhIqOJbS8
Maybe this one I just saw? It's more of an arrangement, but it sounds nice.
>>
>>32512269
I haven't been keeping up.
This true?
>>
>>32512389
but why though
>>
File: eyes, eyes everywhere.png (6KB, 123x76px) Image search: [Google]
eyes, eyes everywhere.png
6KB, 123x76px
i have seen things not meant for the man

>5 of the trash items have the same status icon as the sprite

[eye pun here]
>>
File: johnmariocopy.png (44KB, 166x147px) Image search: [Google]
johnmariocopy.png
44KB, 166x147px
>>32509687
>QoL features
>yfw recruiting in Rescue vs. recruiting in later games
remake when
>>
>>32512269
Do any of you read comics in bursts, or do you guys keep up to date with them constantly?
I read in bursts. I figure it's been long enough, so I might catch back up to Victory Fire. Same with PMD R.A.D. and Tales of Elysium.
Any other comics or fics anyone wants to shill?
>>
>>32516006
For me it depends on how often the comic updates and how the pacing. If it is a slow paced story that only updates once a week I just leave it be for a year or so before reading it again. Otherwise I keep up with it every update.
>>
>>32516006
I tend to read continuously since reading in bursts just makes me crave more when I finish. RAD and Victory Fire are my favorite PMD comics. I was never a big fan of Elysium and besides that there aren't many major PMD comics. Most of them went on permanent hiatus or barely got started. Surprised no good SPMD ones have popped up.
>>
>>32516393
>Surprised no good SPMD ones have popped up.
What about GtI? The ugly one with Gengar and whatever doesn't count.
>>
>play Explorers, expecting a good story
>MC with amnesia
>annoying unlikeable "friend" that uses you as emotional support all the time instead of being responsible
>supporting cast are all stock anime tropes
>suspicious looking guy that came from nowhere turns out to be the villain
>second partner is a brooding edgelord
>time travel bullshit
>snowflake shiny legendary that goes "I-it's not like I like him or anything, b-baka!" to the brooding partner
>all this is supposed to be redeemed because of the "sad" twist ending where the unlikeable cunt cries because you sacrificed yourself to save the world
>said sacrifice is pointless anyway
Chunsoft's writers are fucking horrible, which is pathetic considering they specialize in VNs. I can see how this is a step above the main series' nonstories, but it's anything but good
>>
>>32517400
>trusting the skyfags
Jokes aside, I personally like it because I pretty much like anything with time travel (and I like PMD no matter what, anyway)
GtI's story is more solid and has better characters at least. At it's core it's still more of the same as Explorers though.
The special episodes in Sky have the most interesting stories in the series by the way, have you tried them?
>>
>>32517858
I only liked SE2 (the one about Igglybuff). Sunflora's was shit, honestly, with OH MY GOSH bitch being whiny about Tourettes-mon actually helping her out, and Bidoof's was as memorable as the filler crap. The one with the treasure thieves felt like filler too. Grovyle's was pretty fun as a game, but Celebi was still a stupid tsundere bitch, Grovyle went from "generic edgelord partner" to "generic hero", and the ending was just as bad, if not worse than what happened in the normal storyline.
>>
>>32517400
>>32517858
>actually listening to any degree to the skyfags
RT had best postgame.
Super has the best story.
GTI has the comfiest town.

Sky had some QoL improvements that you can't live without though
>>
>>32518219
>Super has the best story.
If anything Super proves that Chunsoft is completely okay with regurgitating the same plot points over and over as if it's still fresh and interesting.
>>
>>32518599
>my motives are complex
guess you're right
>>
>>32518599
thanks for the v3 spoilers fag
at least now I won't be as disappointed when I play it
>>
>>32516425
Besides that one, not really. Pretty much all PMD comics are either bad art or cancelled, usually before the story even gets going. It's a shame because it's such a fun universe. I blame the lack of PMD anime which may have helped inspire people (although looking at the official anime maybe we're lucky).
>>
File: 1465326561301.jpg (3MB, 4200x3200px) Image search: [Google]
1465326561301.jpg
3MB, 4200x3200px
>>32518219
>RT
No real complaints here. I like how all the legendaries have their own little mini-stories. Now we have three times as many legends I don't know if I can see them bothering with that any more.
>Super
Personally I prefer Gates'. Super's has a nice climax but I have two particular issues with it: the villagers get completely left behind halfway through and the fact that everything involving Dark Matter doesn't make any sense.
>GTI
Post Town was great, though it's a shame that it's made up of lots of smaller maps. If they could have stitched it all together it would have been a lot better.
>>
>>32518773
>Super
I give GtI the best characters anyway -
most super ones are plain filler. GtI did the dark matter point better since it was all thematically tied together, but Super still had the better "sum of the parts".
>>
>>32512269
Holy shit I'm not the only person reading this it's so fucking good
>>
Sorry to butt in, but VPMD is up.
>>32518801
>>
>>32515739
What's going on here? Are these like dummied out items or something? Do they do anything?
>>
>>32516006
I read weekly. Every Saturday I just go down the list of things follow and check the ones that I know are actively updating. I check the ones that haven't been updating once a month or so unless they're deader than dead. Speaking of not updating, PMD:RAD probably won't be as far along as you're expecting.

Blue Rescue Team is one of the better comics around. It's translated from Korean and the translator has been slacking off, but the actual comic is still going so I'm hopeful that it will continue.
http://xofks12.deviantart.com/art/PMD-Comic-Blue-Rescue-Team-1-1-581896821

The Adventures of Team Sunflower is fairly new one that has a really nice art style.
http://adventuresofteamsunflower.smackjeeves.com/chapters/94762/muros-adventure-begins/

PMD: Team Hero is pretty good. The art feels a little off to me though - I think it's the faces.
http://mamatad.deviantart.com/art/1-01-PMD-Team-Hero-494752575
>>
>>32515739
>>32518862
this, can you explain further?
>>
Friends, I have a crippling Gold Bar addiction and I need to know the most efficient way to sate it.

I've got a handful of reasonably roided up mons around level 45 and I have the excavation band.

What is the optimal strategy for farming Gold Bars?
>>
>>32520434
You can buy sticks or other cheap shit and exchange them for gold when you get 100 of them.
Harvest fresh apples and sell them, then use the money from that to get cheap shit in bulk from the keks.
>>
>>32518892
Oh yeah, I forgot Blue Rescue Team on my other list, I also recommend it to people. Shame most of it isn't translated.

Thanks for those other two, I'll check them out.
>>
>>32520471
Is exchanging sticks really better than clearing high level dungeons and picking them up?
>>
>>32520511
I don't know. It might be a bit more consistent and reliable than hoping a sparkly spot spawns. It's been a while since I played super, and I don't know if any dungeons have a higher gold bar spawning rate.
You can always just try both methods out and see which one works best.
>>
>>32518219
>>32518773
>Super
I did like how they upped the stakes and risks, extinguished nearly all hope for survival, and kept trying to force your characters to earn their progress.
Dark Matter has turned nearly everyone to stone, we saw the horrors of the Voidlands, have suffered and had our allies sacrifice themselves for us, the Earth is hurdling towards the sun, the very important Tree of Life that also gives us evolution powers is dying, and we're probably going to have to do this again if we succeed. No pressure.
>>
>>32521353
Too bad the cutscenes all looked like ass (the game conveniently leaves you out of Serene and Air out of sheer laziness since they couldn't be assed to create stone textures, and Serene is completely empty despite the townspeople being outside at the time) and the characters that "sacrificed" themselves just got jumped by the shadows like a bitch and were flatter than cardboard to begin with
>>
>>32518599
They rehashed shit that was already put into other PMD games too.
>amnesiac hero-turned mute Pokemon and a partner that constantly talks for you
>shittier, blander guild (as if the guild wasn't bland enough already)
>generic negativity blob final boss
>earlygame water mission that's explorered by guild leader, forest mission where someone wants food
>player+partner get sent to a hellish world midgame, get a whole bunch of exposition, then try to escape
>the "don't give up" motivational nonsense Gates had at the end of the game
>blatantly obvious villain "twist" for the third time
>FOURTH ending where one of the protagonists leaves but don't worry guys he comes back later!
Of course, people will defend this because "they're just references, it's not the same shit repeating itself!" or "the ending was sad!" Game's great, plot's boring.
>>
>>32521548
>Of course, people will defend this because "they're just references, it's not the same shit repeating itself!"
No, they've been calling it out as a repeat since day dot.
>>
>>32521548
>Of course, people will defend this because "they're just references, it's not the same shit repeating itself!" or "the ending was sad!" Game's great, plot's boring.
only skyfags say that, and the second part of the plot was made to pander to them
the first half was actually something new. the story would have been better overall if it kept being like that.
>>
>>32518219
>Hero doesn't have amnesia
>Characters are actually decent
>Betrayal twist less obvious
>Negativity blob and partner's ambitions fits with the themes of the story
Wait, does Gates actually have the best story of the PMDs?
>>
>>32523731
>>32518786
>>32521353
>>
>>32523731
No.
TDS has the best story.
Gates might have the best characters though.

>tfw the fifth gen pokemon games are being venerated in hindsight
First BW and B2W2, and now GTI. Feels Amazing Friends.
>>
>>32523769
what's a TDS anon
>>
>>32523778
Time, Darkness, Sky.
RB, TDS, GTI, PSMD.
>>
>>32523790
everyone refers to the first two as R/BRT or Sky though
>>
>a pmd where you need to carve your princedom out of untamed archipelago, full of lush forests, deep ravines, rivers roaring among valleys and above all, ancient remnants of folks long gone
>a pmd where your decisions shape what you can do, with each trading post, each workshop, each academy doing what you tell them, with every single village, mine, quarry or town founded and grown with your help
>a pmd where your subjects recognize your status, and are happy that somebody, even if not perfect is actually helping them, eager to lend a hand if needed, always ready to jump in and at least try to save the day
>a pmd where you get to decide how will the world be shaped when post game hits, where you can see your interferences god damn everywhere, the palaces, the keeps, the mills and the wharfs, everything thanks to you

non-shit Spore with pogeymen fucking when
>>
File: Junko.png (140KB, 960x560px) Image search: [Google]
Junko.png
140KB, 960x560px
>>32518618
In hindsight I should've used Junko instead because she also made use of mind control. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>32521548
How can it be made better? I think GtI was onto something when it focused on the five people on the team.

I think one way things can be better is to either give a red herring to the tropes (expected betrayal doesn't happen or some other untwist), or play out the tropes in some unusual way (you disappear because of self-sacrifice, antagonists are actually self-righteous or ambitious instead of malevolent, you are forced to betray the antagonist to thwart their plans).
>>
>No future PMD game will have characters like Emolga and Virizion
>>
>>32523889
>inb4 PMD with fallout narration
>>
>>32526570

Just for you, tantrum-kun
>>
File: Bert.jpg (19KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Bert.jpg
19KB, 500x375px
>>32524725
>GTI got rid of the guild, got rid of the amnesia and downplayed the partner to have a sort-of ensemble cast
>Super brought back both while making the partner the sole main character
Talk about one step forward, three steps back

They shouldn't have pulled the dusknoir/grovyle twist, since Dusknoir was such an obvious villain that it'd have been more of a twist if there was no twist
>>
>>32507250
>beaten them all completely
>blank line
>>
>>32527500
making everything a leader and entering a dungeon with it is padding. I already got all pokemon
>>
>>32524725 (Me)
>>32527450
I wonder what would be a good, somewhat original, and not formula restricted story for PMD.
>>
>>32523876
Well, Sky only goes for EoS, so I usually say Time/Darkness for the original pair or Explorers if I'm talking about all 3 of them. I've seen some people use TDS in the past as well though, just not as common.
>>
>>32491129
I've posted my pmd engine github page here before and it gets ignored, and nobody contributes to it, if you guys want something like this to happen then get off your asses help.
>>
>>32528539
I think the biggest problem is the main character set up. I'm not overly assblasted over reusing similar tropes, but I implore them to ditch the player/partner set-up. It never worked well to begin with anyway, and was flat out horrible in Super.
>>
>>32529906
EW anon here.
It doesn't work like that.
>>
>>32530349
it worked in gti actually
>>
>>32530370
Having a sort-of ensemble cast for Gates was the best thing about it's story. Needless to say, I was salty when Super reversed those decisions and then some.
>>
>>32530355
>It doesn't work like that
Sure it does, do you how long it takes to code every single item? That will take hundreds of man hours.
>>
>>32531550
Categorize them and parametrize them.
>itemcategory type;
>void* itemdata;

cast itemdata accordingly
and add function pointers with the general cases

that should save some time
>>
>>32530349
The thing about PMD is that it is an isekai scenario, so having a main character without trusted friends is out of the question, being that the main character is in unfamiliar territory.
Your partner is kinda like your first Pokemon at the start of an adventure (you don't count), and people want to be able to have a team with some sort of customization. However, there has to be game balancing, character chemistry, and story needs to be taken into account, so that is why you get a starter+others as well as a partner. Plus it seems too established to just take away.

There may be a possible compromise, though. You could have a custom squad of 2-5 other Pokemon that all have their own distinct but well-rounded characters.
Each teammate has a personality, but you get a choice on which Pokemon you want from a limited set. For teammate 1 you could have an aquatic Pokemon, 2 be a high places Pokemon, 3 be a digging Pokemon, 4 be a martial Pokemon, and 5 be a support/face Pokemon. Those are just examples, and they could easily be Fire, Water, Grass, Fight/Dark/Normal, and Psychic/Poison/Fairy, with you taking up one of the slots depending on which Pokemon you choose. All of this is decided right after you choose your Pokemon.
Have story missions where some are included or excluded in dungeons, and maybe even give them special episodes to further develop their characters.
>>
>>32529906
not everyone can do coding anon
>>
Last game I played was Explorers of Sky, which game should I get of the newer ones?
>>
>>32532750
GtI if you like story over gameplay, or want to play them in order, and Super if you like gameplay over story and don't care about release order.
I couldn't be arsed to finish GtI myself, but I hear it has a good plot, and Supers story has some noticeable problems in retrospect, but was an enjoyable ride while it lasted, and was fun until I ran out of shit to do.
>>
>>32531645
I have done that, it's the opengl coding that's the pain, https://github.com/purpasmart96/pmd_test
>>
>>32532949
Are you using straight opengl? Use a library or something and save yourself the hassle.
>>
File: littenally_me.jpg (154KB, 1000x577px) Image search: [Google]
littenally_me.jpg
154KB, 1000x577px
best starter bump
>>
>>32534179
Litten is the best!
>>
>>32532949
You've got issues with opengl? I'd say feel free to ask away but we'd litter the thread with it.
I've already worked with raw OpenGL
>>
>>32534179
litten and its evos are the best for sure
>>
>>32534179
Litten is cool. I might use him as the MC in the next game.
>>
File: psychic.png (299KB, 733x536px) Image search: [Google]
psychic.png
299KB, 733x536px
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>32536705
>isn't in a dungeon when he does it

cheater
>>
>>32538888
bump
>>
File: 1484896328907.jpg (400KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484896328907.jpg
400KB, 800x600px
>>
>>32532033
>You could have a custom squad of 2-5 other Pokemon that all have their own distinct but well-rounded characters.
Each teammate has a personality, but you get a choice on which Pokemon you want from a limited set. For teammate 1 you could have an aquatic Pokemon, 2 be a high places Pokemon, 3 be a digging Pokemon, 4 be a martial Pokemon, and 5 be a support/face Pokemon. Those are just examples, and they could easily be Fire, Water, Grass, Fight/Dark/Normal, and Psychic/Poison/Fairy, with you taking up one of the slots depending on which Pokemon you choose. All of this is decided right after you choose your Pokemon.
Have story missions where some are included or excluded in dungeons, and maybe even give them special episodes to further develop their characters.

Is this a good idea? Anyone like to add?

I know I'm samefagging, but it's better than just bumping the thread with "bump".
>>
so are you all working on a fangame or not
>>
>>32542231
Multiple people are working on their own fangames separately.
>>
>>32516006
>shill fics
I promise I'll start updating again soon

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7309726/chapters/16602256

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7771954/chapters/17726872
>>
>>32516006
Shilling fics:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?562980-Pokemon-Mystery-Dungeon-Overthrown&highlight=
OR
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3283418/Knightfall66

PMD: Overthrown is pretty gritty and the setting is a place where the kingdom is in turmoil. Hasn't been updated or finished. Last heard from author in early 2016. Busy I guess with college stuff.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6421734/1/Pokemon-The-Unknown-Continuum

Pokemon: The Unknown Continuum is a retelling of Explorers of Sky, but it involves a human who is far from thrilled to be a Snivy. The human, Floyd, was designed to be a divisive, but not-boring and non-Mary Sue character. He has a strong sense of justice, but he gets called out for his rigidness and self-righteousness by his partner. He is also willing to help, but he ultimately has a goal in getting back home and becoming normal.

While there are some changes to the story, the ends of the events ultimately are the same and the author regretted not making it more different from the canon.
Also the human's homeworld is pretty much like modern day Earth, but Pokemon suddenly appeared for some reason and fucked with the ecosystem. Things are stable and there are Pokeballs. This fact may or may not be a dealbreaker for you.

I have Pokemon: Incarnation on the backburner. Not going to bother starting until I catch up with Silver Resistance.
>>
>>32534527
Using modern opengl, version 3.3 in fact, what I'm trying to do is to get tiling using .png files in an non brute force way, but setting up modern opengl is non trivial for me.
>>
>>32543447
Hmm. Two major options, a mesh (since you're dealing with squares and have no intention of zooming out, the vert/triangle count stays the same) and instancing (if you're using fixed textures such as an atlas since you've got to bind them)
But for a low object count (less than 500 or so?) or you're not targeting super crappy GPUs (mobile etc) it's not worth the effort.
>>
I restarted pokemon SMD, this time I picked Mudkip for myself and Torchic as partner.
Am I gud or am I fug'd?
>>
>>32544421
Yes.
>>
>>32542049
I think it could work, in a way it is kind of similar to the team of Gates, it's just that now you get to choose which Pokemon they are.
I always wanted a MD where you have two partners. They would start out as childhood friends who bicker occasionally. Give your character dialogue choices that will help you to make them friendlier. Some of the dialogue would be kind of obvious what line is the best one to say, but others would require you to have better knowledge of the character's personalities. This way playing through the game you could get the feeling of actually turning your group into a team that works together. I think a friendship system in general would be interesting. Make it so going on missions with Pokemon and other things boost a friendship meter each Pokemon has. Higher friendship leads to some benefits, such as better combo attacks or greater likelihood to protect you. Throw in some extra dialogue as well if you have high friendship.
>>
>>32544569
I would like to see more dialogue options that have more of an effect on outcome, but I know that branching story paths and multiple endings are problematic for development. I would be content with simply having more distinct and numerous dialogue options that at least have a significant effect on the chapter story-wise without changing gameplay or the overall story plot. What would be really cool is if your choice input was nodded to in some way in a later chapter.

For example, your team goes on a mission to rescue someone, and not only does the mission not state what caused them to send an S.O.S., which was because of a gang of enemies, but gives you a dinky reward ("???" was promised) that your team is clearly not satisfied with. You can either:
>get angry and threaten to out them on their cheapness
Result: Partner tells you to calm down, and allows the client to compensate the team later with some more stuff.
Later Result: The client meets up with you on the road to help you, but is nervous around you. He gives you stuff to calm the anger he perceives in you (though your character shows no visible anger).
>Tell them that this is not sufficient.
Result: The client offers you a favor. The partner is on board with this.
Later Result: The client appears on the road to fulfill the favor. The partner asks about the other stuff, which the client unenthusiastically gives to you because of your current situation (whatever it may be).
>Forgive them, but ask the client to compensate the rest of your team.
Result: He is grateful for your understanding and promises to pay you back.
Later Result: Seeing the situation you got yourselves in, he decides to go out of his way to deliver the reward directly. He shows much gratefulness towards you especially.
>>
Are team raider all guys?
>>
>>32545336
Yeah, PMD has never really been about creating your own character with their own background, which is why I agree dialogue would probably only be able to have minor influences. What if they took there existing personality test and expanded it. Your character starts with a personality that can change or become more solidified based on dialogue. Some scenes and dialogue will change depending on your personality. Adding that to the friendship system I suggested earlier could make replays of the game more interesting as characters alter their actions or dialogue.
>>
Is it worth evolving chikorita and piplup post game?
>>
>>32546918
I forgot to mention that this is in SMD.
>>
>>32546918
>evolving

>>32546947
>in super out of all games

it only is if you really like the evolution and want to be able to use them whenever you want
>>
>>32546918
Unless you like the evos more, dont. There's really not much point
>>
>>32546544
As long as I get to choose if I am not satisfied with the quiz's choice.
The personality should also change the character's inner thoughts somewhat. What would be nice is if you could choose what your character thought, like "was I really too harsh?", "he needs to learn what he did wrong", or "I don't know what his problem is, I pretty much sugar-coated my criticism".
>>
Would it be possible to hack in a "Hard Mode" for Sky? Stuff like changing the pokemon that are in dungeons and the item/trap density? I mean, you're not changing the script, just the pokemon and items in a dungeon
>>
>>32549943
It's possible. We have a randomizer, but we lack a proper editor, so we'd either have to do it all in a hex editor or make a program to make it simpler.
>>
>>32550048
I think that'd be more feasible to pull off than a brand new fangame. Could town shop inventories be changed as well?
>>
>>32534179
I Sincerely hope that any new PMD has the MC and 2 buddies. I say this purely because I don't know how the fuck im going to choose 2 between totodile, bulbasaur and litten.
>>
Is there a reference that tells what moves a Pokémon learns in SMD by leveling?
>>
>>32550546
SMD uses ORAS learnsets
Pokémon will also be able to remember any of their previous evolutions' moves if their level is high enough
>>
I was playing Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team and everything went smoothly in the main story. But than I evolved my partner Torchic into Blaziken and he started using exclusively moves, even if he doesn't have the "Exclusive Move User" IQ skill on. The problem is that he just starts to use Struggle after running out of PPs, even if he should theorically be able to use the normal attack. How do I stop this? None of my other patner Pokémon ever do this.
>>
>>32550960
Use a different partner or none at all, or keep more Max Elixirs close by.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.