[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many Manchildren worship these games? I played blue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: pokemon_red_blue_main_169.jpg (211KB, 588x331px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_red_blue_main_169.jpg
211KB, 588x331px
Why do so many Manchildren worship these games? I played blue as a kid and I loved it.But if I take off my rose tinted glasses they sucked hard.

>Repititive shallow gameplay
>Terrible graphics (even for a gameboy game)
>Horrible and disorganized inventory system
>Uninteresting and boring story
>A fuck ton of glitches and game breaking bugs
>Hardly any post game whatsoever
>Reusage of sprites and pokemon cries

I could go on, many better RPG's came out years before red and blue did.It took them seven years to make to make them, and this was the final product?
>>
Because they're manchildren.
>>
File: 1493167532572.jpg (29KB, 474x550px) Image search: [Google]
1493167532572.jpg
29KB, 474x550px
>>32458313
>Posts on /vp/
>Calls other people manchildren
>>
>>32458313
Wow its like you described Sun and Moon to a t.
>>
>>32458313
>>Repititive shallow gameplay
The gameplay is the same as the games now.

it was good enough

>>Horrible and disorganized inventory system
??? It's usable. For gen 1 you don't need anything more than basic.

>>Uninteresting and boring story
Why? Because there weren't NPCs constantly talking to you and telling you shit about how they want to take over the region with [box legendary]?

>>A fuck ton of glitches and game breaking bugs
You either didn't actually play the game, just mindlessly parroting that meme list, or both. Barely any of the bugs are noticeable and the ones that are aren't game breaking.

>>Hardly any post game whatsoever
They're the first fucking games of the series. The multiplayer and catching all 151 Pokemon is the post-game.

>>Reusage of sprites and pokemon cries
Neither of these were done to the point where it mattered.
>>
>>32458313
>many better RPG's came out years before red and blue did

name one
>>
>>32458404
Star Tropics on the NES
>>
>>32458404
Final Palooza.
>>
>>32458401
Which sprites were re-used? Aside from the ones in the party, I can't think of any spirites being reused. The cries being reused has always been funny to me.

>Ditto or Poliwag?
>Charizard or Rhyhorn?
the world may never know.

are there any others?
>>
I like the simplicity and how they used all they could from limited hardware.
>>
>>32458401
>actually defending the second worst pokemon games
>>
>>32458401
I can agree on the majority of your points, but the bag system was horrible in gen 1. It was usable, sure, but that doesn't mean it wasn't awful. Limiting you to 20 bag slots, forcing you to either toss shit out or make a detour to the PC and come back if you found an item on a route or in a cave, was a pretty shitty idea.
>>
>>32458665
Caterpie and Goldeen, I think.
>>
>>32458401
>. Barely any of the bugs are noticeable and the ones that are aren't game breaking.
Except the Missingno glich was so popular and widespread when the Internet was nowhere near as big as it is now, its kinda has to be noticable when even the playground kids knew of the glitch.

Of course we didn't know how to do arbitary code execution to make the game into Pong, but saying that RB's glitches weren't noticeable is literally turning a blind eye due to nostaliga
>>
>>32458706
What's the worst anon? If you say SuMo you're lying to yourself by the way.
>>
>>32458766
Missingno was fun tho.
>>
>>32458313
>horribly laid out region that centers like half the game in the same 2 areas
>no pokemon variety on routes
>many pokemon learn nothing but normal type moves without tm's, or take too long to learn anything worthwhile
>some pokemon are literally unobtainable without an ingame trade
>>
>>32458313
It has the best Pokemon and that's all people play these games for.

Gameplay is the same shit as always and story is fucking garbage in the recent entries and might as well not be there.
>>
>>32458313
I've played them recently and had tons of fun, don't be a bitter faggot. Every Pokémon game has those idiots saying "DURRR THIS IS THA BEST POKEMON GAME"
>>
>>32458313
Just had this discussion with my wife yesterday. But it was more about how fucking pathetic it is to rant and rave about which games people like. The people who like Red and Blue don't care about any of the things you listed. They just like the games. I'm sorry that offends you so much, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>32458401
>??? It's usable. For gen 1 you don't need anything more than basic.
When was the last time you played gen 1? You actually have to store of the items on the PC in your house because the key items take up so much space. This is a very valid complaint.
>>
>>32458313
>I played blue as a kid and I loved it

You answered your own question. Yes, people really do think everything they thought as a kid still applies today.
>>
File: 1331737372066.jpg (39KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
1331737372066.jpg
39KB, 300x291px
>>
>>32458404
>1996
At this point, SNES toppled the gold standard on what a JRPG can do and should be.

So you had games like Rudra's Hidden Treasure, Chrono Trigger for obvious reasons, and Live-A-Live which were far easier to manage. Even Earthbound is still a quicker experience to max out your levels than Pokemon is for your ace alone.
>>
>>32461024
>an rpg on a 16-bit console can do things better than on an 8-bit console
No shit. I'm not the anon you replied to but that's a poor comparison.
>>
>>32458313
Yeah, we get it, old games on released on limited hardware are outdated when you look at them now. Do you also hate the first Castlevania and Zelda games? Like, come on man. Red and Blue aren't even anywhere near being the worst offenders in this department. They're still perfectly enjoyable even today, although obviously outdated. I've replayed these games countless times during the years and I always have fun with them.

>Repititive shallow gameplay
Literally just standard Pokemon gameplay. What the hell dude?
Many of the back sprites look bad but who cares? Most old games look bad nowadays, especially on Game Boy and NES. Doesn't make them less enjoyable.
>Horrible and disorganized inventory system
Just use the PC. I wish I could deposit my items in the more recent games too and only carry the stuff that I actually need. I actually MISS the inventory management of Gen I.
>Uninteresting and boring story
Just like in all other Pokemon games. You don't play these games for the story. And once again, this is actually something that I miss. I'd rather take a complete lack of story instead of yet another chosen one bullshit story where the evil team is trying to use the power of the legendary Pokemon to take over / destroy / create a new world.
>A fuck ton of glitches and game breaking bugs
None of the glitches in the game are game breaking and you don't encounter them unless you really try to.
Don't you just love the post-game on all other Game Boy games of that time?
>Reusage of sprites and pokemon cries
Not really an issue at all.

5/5 bait, actually made me type all this shit instead of just giving (You) a (You).
>>
>>32461066
I'm with this anon

I wish we didnt have this thread every day
>>
>>32461024
>SNES

no one cares. The appeal of Pokemon is that they're handheld games with good multiplayer.
>>
>>32458313
This is how I know you're lying when you say you "played blue as a kid". The term of post-game is a modern concept and didn't even exist at the time when RB came out. And even for it's time, it still had a stellar "post-game" compared to literally ever other gameboy game that was around. The fact that you could beat the main quest and still go around traveling the world and do whatever you want on the same save was revolutionary, especially for an 8-bit system. Now please, fuck off and go back to jerking off to DP or whatever your first Pokemon game was.
>>
>>32458766
The missingno glitch was not conceivably discoverable through normal gameplay. The set of circumstances to trigger it were too bizarre. 99.999% of people who used it heard about it through the internet/a friend and went out of their way to try it because it was fun. It was hardly game breaking unless you were retarded enough to catch the glitch pokemon. I always saw it as more of a feature than a bug. It gave the games charm.

Mew glitch wasn't discovered until 2003, so it wasn't relevant at all while gen 1 was current.
>>
>>32461222
>I always saw it as more of a feature than a bug. It gave the games charm.

I mostly agree with you but stop giving them ammo.
>>
>>32458401
>tfw you saw how the graphics evolved since rgby
>when your chin was fell down as a kid, when you saw how detailed the sprites in GSC were and in RSE

damn that was nice.

>>32458313
>uninteresting boring story
well I would love to pokemon have this story again.
>oh dude here you go take one so you can fill the dex please
>oh hehe we are bad guys, that´s it. No secret super legendary pokemon weapon, which will go beserk
>legendaries are hidden everywhere

is way better than
>oh dude you are the fucking chosen one here become king of kings
>oh yeah we are bad and want to change the world!
>oh shit look a literall god, sorry anon I am the champ but I can´t catch this mon, here just throw this pokeball
>shit men here are tons of other pokemon we just tell you where they are and you just go there and get them.
>>
>>32458313
>But if I take off my rose tinted glasses they sucked hard.
This is true of many praised games.
Particularly DPPt and HGSS. Those games have aged even worse than RGBY.
>>
File: 1492991188052.png (59KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
1492991188052.png
59KB, 576x507px
>>32461770
>DPPt and HGSS have aged even worse than RGBY
take your (you) and get out
>>
File: 1477843203065.png (61KB, 1301x1301px) Image search: [Google]
1477843203065.png
61KB, 1301x1301px
>>32461770
>>
>>32460304
>They just like the games

Feel bad for those people you come to appreciate something more when you can think critically about it and acknowledge it's flaws.
>>
>>32462138
Most people aren't critical enough about the media they consume to care. People are ultimately going to like what they like because they like it.
>>
>>32459388
Nice denial
>>
>>32458313
>Why do so many Manchildren worship these games?
Nobody does.

This fucking boogeyman meme needs to stop.
>>
/vr/ here.

I don't worship Red and Blue, but I do love them and play through them once every year or so. I enjoy later Pokemon games too, but these are still the core of the series to me.

And I really appreciate the simplicity in some aspects compared to future incarnations. Feels more accessible.
>>
>tm's are more needed than at any other point in the series due to how shit learnsets are
>single use unless you missingno glitch
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
>fixed everything wrong with gen 1
>still looks good to this day
>added decent postgame (trade fuckery aside)
>unfucked the inventory system and added rematches
>the least linear region
>almost no """""natural"""" barriers
>no forced dialogue or cutscenes cockblocking you everytime you visit a new location
Still the best remakes in the series, HGSS would be better but they kept the god awful levels and pokémon placement
>>
>>32458401
This. OP's either trolling or was born in 2003.
>>
File: f63.jpg (41KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
f63.jpg
41KB, 396x382px
>>32459388
>SuMo
>>
File: P1060969.jpg (4MB, 3968x2232px) Image search: [Google]
P1060969.jpg
4MB, 3968x2232px
>>32462345
I agree, but the original's more charming. It's definitely a matter of taste and preference. Pic related is a bag of shit compared to any modern car, but I love it. How many people feel any love for their modern shit box with all its mod cons?
>>
>>32462286
This!
>>
>>32458313
Most people don't actually love these games now.

One, you're either mistaking people loving it to

>People who know nothing else about Pokemon beyond them

>business men who only see dollar signs because they are the games most people know

>Because of their age and legacy, they make for a great collectors item

>Others who play them to speed run, because they're the shortest in the series

>Glitchfags who love to exploit stuff like glitchcity or Missingno

Outside of that, they aren't well regarded overall, especially in the fandom. People who like gen 1 mostly go back to the Pokemon it introduced, and some key elements that have become staple. And chances are if you see them on a top 10 list or something from a big channel like Gamespot, its more for what they brought to the franchise rather than their own merit. That or, they are the only Pokemon games the staff is familiar with.
>>
File: mtii.png (3MB, 1067x1589px) Image search: [Google]
mtii.png
3MB, 1067x1589px
>>32461065
Megami Tensei II came out almost a decade prior and still holds up.
>>
>>32461065
>Pokémon Red and Blue
>8-bit console

What the fuck have you been smoking, and are you okay?
>>
>>32462573
I agree.
It's Pokemon S&M.
>>
>>32463264
>Most people don't actually love these games now.
The only places where this is the case are dedicated pokemon forums/boards where 90% of the userbase are teenagers who started after Pokemania and much of the other 10% are contrarians. It's still the fan-favorite game among the general audience by a longshot.
>>
>>32463403
Game Boy is an 8 bit console retard.
>>
>>32463414
That's because that's all they know. Did you just ignore the rest of the comment?
>>
>>32458313
Muh nostalgia. That's it.
>>
>>32463435
Your comment is "most people don't love these games. actually they do, but they're not 'true fans'" Your smooth brain literally wasn't able to stay on track long enough to make a single coherent post.
>>
>>32458706
>the literally the only time pokemon has ever been fresh and original
>>
>>32458313
Ahh, yes but youve made a fatal mistake my man. The second you describe an rpg as "repetitive" anyone with half a brain will simply stop reading
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.