[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else miss seasons? I know that at the end of the day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: leaves.gif (163KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
leaves.gif
163KB, 500x365px
Anybody else miss seasons?

I know that at the end of the day it was a somewhat useless feature, but it was pretty neat.

I know every game has that one neat little feature that ends up being removed in the next game, but this one was always my favorite.
>>
This is one of the reasons I loved gen V
>>
>>32453400
interesting concept but frustrating in practice to catch shit or get through Spiral Mt 3/4 year. Dec, Apr, or Aug are the times to get through the mountain
>>
>>32453400
Seasons were only pretty in BW2 like picrelated. In BW it's like "Oh, so I can't really get a Cryogonal because I started playing during the wrong season"-stupid and the maps look just a little different.

I don't miss them, but I miss being able to change my nigger's form (Autumn is superior).
>>
Nice dubs.
Yes and no, on one hand, it's a great visual thing, it adds a lot of beauty to scenery and makes routes and cities look different, making things less repetitive on different play-throughs, your pic is a great example, I love the autumn in Gen 5, looks amazing.

But on the other hand it locks content and paths behind time walls, I like to complete games I play 100%, normally this means getting all items and TM's and completing the dex.

Gen 5 was annoying because I had to wait months to do some things in certain routes.
Eventually I just started messing with the clock, but that fucked over daily events, then I just hacked my save, however at that point why bother doing things legit anyway.

It's a great visual. Not a very good mechanic.
I think they should bring it back as a purely cosmetic thing, change the visuals, music and trainer clothing as seasons change, but don't lock items and Pokémon behind it.
>>
>>32453400
>useless feature

Nah, utilitarians are just a cancer.
>>
>>32453400
It's definitely something that needed expansion, but for something time based like this, I can see why it wasn't well favored because it ultimately means you can do some things at one time and then do the others at another time, and you personally have no control over that. Being blocked by story events is one thing, but being blocked because you didn't come at the right time is just annoying. Finally, I do not feel that there was no way to make it occur at the right intervals to make it convenient enough for everyone. Doing it by months was honestly too much.
>>
I loved them, they created different atmospheres, so you genuinely get a different feeling each time you play through the game in different seasons.

Gameplay tweaks too, like certain Pokémon available to use, and certain areas tackled differently.

My only change I would make (which I know is an unpopular opinion), but I would make Seasons last way longer,and actually be tailored to IRL seasons for maximum immersion.
>>
>>32453400
I wish they had done seasons weekly or every other week instead of monthly.
>>
File: 1488251418515.png (118KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1488251418515.png
118KB, 600x500px
>>32453400
I liked the concept. That seasons would change. I HATE everything else about them. It was frustrating, nothing more. Easily one of the worst parts of Gen 5. They could've just made it an aesthetic thing, and it would've been great. But they had to implement this shit into gameplay.
>>
>>32453461
>>32453437
Nothing wrong with it.

Obviously the northern towns would have a lot of snowfall, and more ice types would show up in the winter.

At the time, B2W2 had the largest and most varied Dex by far, so it isn't even like there was heavy gameplay-ruining restrictions or limitations.

Aside from a very select few Pokémon and a handful of near-worthless-items, the seasons didn't affect anything beyond atmosphere and immersion.
>>
>>32453496
Anon, there are full areas you can't access in certain seasons. There are some trainers you can't even fight in certain seasons. There are some Pokemon you can't catch in certain seasons.
That's everything in Pokemon. Exploring, catching and fighting. All of that, some to a lesser degree than others, were restricted by the retarded system of seasons.

The seasons did affect things beyond atmosphere and immersion.
>>
>>32453506
And there was more areas to explore and Pokemon to catch in B2W2, than any game before it.

You wasn't getting a lesser experience at any point. It was just encouraging you to revisit locations, or get different experiences on replays.
>>
I beat the game before I could notice them.
>>
>>32453515
Putting an item in front, but making it unreachable unless the player either remembers it in a few months or just goes back to change date is retarded. And you're retarded for defending it. It wouldn't be a frustrating problem if they had just NOT done it. Just make seasons an "atmosphere and immersion" thing. Don't force this shit into gameplay.
>>
>>32453425
>You need to transfer from previous game non-spring forms in order to get them
What were they fucking thinking?
>>
>>32453544
They were thinking that each game take place in one "month".

Kalos for example is Spring, so unless you transfer, you can only get spring Sawsbuck in that region.

This is probably because of people bitching about seasons because "boo-hoo i can't get that Super Potion until winter"

Plus the past two sets of games have been on tropical islands which leaves little room for seasonal changes, or including all the variants of Sawsbuck.
>>
>>32453400

They were good but the Pokémon distribution and area portions based on seasons was handled poorly
>>
>>32453433
Change it on a weekly basis instead of monthly and bam, the problem is solved.
>>
>>32453554
With Kalos, it's kind of weird since it seems the region is visually divided into multiple seasons, especially in the northern part.
>>
>>32453425
There's only one Mon that's completely unavailable due to seasons anon.
>>
>>32453400
BW2 were the last two truly great Pokemon games. Just seeing that gif makes me want to play them again.
>>
>>32453426
Cryogonal is available in every season outside of winter it only has a 1% encounter rate.
>>
>>32453642
Same here. Man, they were filled with so much content.
>>
>>32453648
And quality content at that. It all felt so thought out.
>>
>>32453646
Yeah, I knew that, still annoying as is time dependant events. Bug Contest is okay, you have 3 options throughout the week
>>
>>32453648
>>32453657
I know the games had to evolve at some point, but I still miss the 2.5 art style and sprites. Maximum cozy. Maybe it's just nostalgia though.
>>
>>32453712
>I still miss the 2.5 art style and sprites
You're not the only one. I miss the dynamic poses the sprites had.
>tfw 3D hippowdon
It's an unpopular opinion around here though.
Most people seem pretty content with the 3D despite the modeling flaws.
>>
>>32453400
I miss the aesthetics but i don't miss the gameplay implications. I'd very much prefer it to have some sort of scripted sequence where you backtrack through a location for the plot and it's been snowed in and looks completely different.

Missed opportunity but pleasant nonetheless. One of the few redeeming features of gen 5.
>>
>>32453740
Hopefully they'll update more and more models, and maybe the saturation problems in the textures. They fixed Glameow's ears in SM and there was that one faggot who kept posting shit about fixing Incineroar's proportions in its model.
>>
>>32453433
>>32453559
I would just make it change daily. Maybe make the overworld not notify you as long as it did in gen V.
>>
>>32453657
>>32453648

Have you guys checked out PokéStar Studios?

I loved B2W2 but always skipped over that until last year.

PokéStar Studios is low-key an entire fucking spin-off game hidden within B2W2. It's fucking incredible how much content is in that alone.
>>
>>32453554
Deerling is in Hoenn, not Kalos
>>
>>32454097
Friend Safari
>>
>>32454092
Pokestar was fucking awesome. It was fun and you could get good items from it,
>>
>>32453752
>Hopefully they'll update more and more models
I wouldn't count on it. By the time gen 8 rolls around, we'll be right around 900 Pokemon. Think about that. 900 different Pokemon, and that's not even including the dozens of megas, variant forms, and so on. That's at least 1000 unique models that have to be created and animated. Not trying to shill for GF, but you can't really blame them for being a tad lazy here and there with the incredible amount of work that needs to be done.
>>
Only the starting areas of BW2 implemented it well
>>
>>32453752
>They fixed Glameow's ears in SM
Is there a pic of this?
>>
File: GlameowEars.png (480KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
GlameowEars.png
480KB, 800x480px
>>32455350
>>
My favorite city in the entire franchise is ecruteak. So, fall in gen v was a definite standout for me.

I really didn't have any strong feelings on the seasons otherwise. I bet GF could really expand the mechanic more now if they add functionality with PikeRide. Like, maybe I can use PokeRide rock climb to get to a cave to catch ice types in the summer or strength my way through a cavern to get some rare fire types in the winter.

This way here you aren't locked out or given absurdly low encounter rates with certain pokémon--which is an ientirely different issue altogether.

I think they could make it work if they did more with the games too. If pokémon were a console game you could "update servers," so to speak, to have limited time events. Not realistic with the current state of the games but I'm just spitballing.
>>
>>32455382
Thanks. Looks nice, hope to see more improvements like this.
>>
I loved them and the subtle changes that came with them. Make them weekly or give the mc the rod of seasons
>>
>>32455430
Fall has always been the best pokemon season, because everything looks all bright and cheerful, leaves are falling, and you can jump in leaf piles in b/w, iirc. Outside of the snow making you be able to access different areas in winter, the other seasons didn't seem to have as much to make them feel different.
>>
>>32455281
If there was more time between generations, it would be less of a problem.
>>
>>32458034
>even MORE time between generations
pls
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.