[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon genders in the anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I just realized something.

I watched S1 of the anime over and over when I as a kid, in brazilian portuguese. And that language doesn't have the gender neutral "it".

So some pokemon were referred to as "ele" (M), and others "ela" (F). Like I remember in this episode, Ash used a female pronoun to refer to Misty's Staryu. The entire cast used female pronouns with Butterfree as well, but that's all I remember.

Point is, I wonder what the distinction is. Also, for other languages with no gender neutral pronouns, do they also do this seemingly arbitrary gender picking? Hm hm.
>>
So, you thought it was a good idea to make a thread about pokémon genders on /vp/ ?

But to answer your question, some 'mons simply look more feminine or more masculine and, if ambiguous or neutal, the masculine is the default, I guess.

PS: Eu também falo português mas sou do outro lado do Atlântico.
>>
Also remembered another funny thing. In Bye Bye Butterfree, both Ash's Butterfree and the pink Butterfree were called "ela".

I guess it's just a curious language thing.
>>
>>32452005
>>32451979

Cute Yuri :3
>>
>>32452004
Dunno, really for me it's not about gender but about language. Though I guess it's also weird to think how one would go about deciding which mons look more feminine or masculine - especially ones like Staryu which, y'know, don't even have a face.

I specifically remember that exchange.

Misty: Ah não, parece que a Staryu tá morrendo de for!
Ash: Ela não tem rosto, como você pode saber?
>>
>>32452025
In spanish too
>>
In Gary and Ash's battle in the Master Quest season, the announcer said "o Nidoqueen" ie using the male pronoun for a female only mon. So they probably don't think about it at all and just go with what comes out quicker.
>>
>>32452025
>>32452005
My guess for these is that they chose the feminine pronoun because they are based on animals which in portuguese have feminine names (Borboleta, estrela-do-mar)
>>
>>32452158
While I agree that this does make a lot more sense, Lara's Ponyta was also repeatedly referred to with female pronouns, and "cavalo" is a male word.

We just don't know.
>>
>>32452094

I don't think they exactly knew what Nidoqueen was back then (species of animal) so they weren't sure how to call it. They probably didn't realize it was meant to be a gender-only species.

In portuguese, seals (focas) are also treated with a feminine pronoun.

>A foca

Unless they're specifically called leão-marinho (sea lion), which is treated as a masculine pronoun.

Also, Captcha, did you just assume my post to be spam?! Guess you can't post certain words.
>>
I think they just pick arbitrarily just like real life animals, desu.
For example, we say "A girafa" (female) even if it is a male giraffe.
Or we say "O elefante" (male) even if it is a female elephant.
I would think the same applies to pokemon.
>>
It's the same thing in Italian. "La giraffa" or "L' Elefante". It has to do with Latin (with some mythology involved)

IIRC in the italian dub there were only male pronouns for the Pokémon. (Likely even for Gardevoir!)
>>
>macaco brasileiro problematizando gênero num fórum de pokemon
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.