[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did these games die out so fast?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

File: 46195-thumb.jpg (71KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
46195-thumb.jpg
71KB, 720x405px
Why did these games die out so fast?
>>
Metagame almost identical to that of Gen 6, very limited postgame other than catching UBs that have little to no significance
>>
File: Amazon04282017.png (388KB, 725x600px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon04282017.png
388KB, 725x600px
Define "died out".
>>
For me it did not capture any imagination. No risks were taken. In gen 2 if a dog fled, you cried as a kid. In gen 7 you get healed without knowing.
>>
B2/w2 died very fast
>>
File: C6eByIvUwAEwCq3.jpg (78KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
C6eByIvUwAEwCq3.jpg
78KB, 1200x675px
>>32421937
Delete this
>>
There's nothing to do after defeating the RNG multis tree

>>32421937
Yeah due to the wifi dying.
>>
>>32421937
That's because X and Y were announced months later and all focus shifted towards it. We didn't know how terrible the games were actually going to be compared to B2W2
>>32421946
Also this
>>
>>32421908
Because they're all style and presentation with no substance.
>>
>>32421908
Because its a Pokemon game, a baby first rpg with shitty gameplay, play better games
>>
>>32421908
X/Y and Sun/Moon have less monsters.
>>
>>32421908
First game in the entire series I didn't want to restart and play again with a different team as soon as I beat it. Sad!
>>
>>32421908
You grew up and realized you don't need to play a game constantly.
>>
>>32421908
No content

Welcome to post-BW2 era
>>
>>32421937
Sadly this. They were goat but first 3DS gen announcement + wi-fi death sentenced its death.
>>
>>32421908
They have hardly any post-game content and QoL of breeding worsened compared to gen 6 games.
Overall I think SM are the worst installments of the franchise.
>>
>>32421908
Lack of stuff to do postgame, and a shrunken Pokedex
>>
Because, as much as we hate to admit it, 90% of Pokemon is hype season.
>>
>>32421969
Why people like you still existing, where are the new Hitler and his holocaust when we need it!!? Where?!!!
Also please come bact to /v/ to talk with your friends about how good is Final Fantasy XV and it's invisible quality.
>>
>>32422301
And yeah i know that the comment was a bait or a pasta but still.
>>
>>32421922
Gen 6's meta was a lot less stale, for one thing it didn't have the Tapu's taking a collective dump on everything.

There is only about 4 viable teams and they're all flavours of Tapu.
>>
>>32422397
The meta is not the entire presence of the game. At least not in the way you're thinking. Competitive is still a rather small piece of the fandom, there are a ton of people that could care less.
>>
>>32422397
>what is mega mom
>what are genies
>what is primal reversion
Granted, 2014 was fine.
>>
>>32421927
How is total purchases representative of how many people are still currently playing it?

That fire emblem game hasn't even come out yet what an awful argument.
>>
File: 1489572855824.png (210KB, 858x574px) Image search: [Google]
1489572855824.png
210KB, 858x574px
>>32421937
You didn't have to remind everyone.
>>
>>32421946
>>32421954
>>32422102
Wi-Fi wasn't turned off until 2014, 2 years after they came out.
>>
>>32421908
Because first games of a gen never have good post game.
How can you dumb cucks never remember this
>>
I think that more than postgame (I mean, It's been so long since Pokémon had a real postgame) it's that the online multiplayer is essential the same as last GEN and the game holds zero replay value.
Don't get me wrong, I think SM are good games overall (without being netpicky), a nice plot and a strong cast, but I could never go through that again. Once was enough. A big strength of earlier games was that sometimes the plot was just so small and you're so free of doing kinda your thing that it was easier to pick a new team and replay them and have an whole new adventure. It's imho a big reason why the franchise got so popular. SM are constantly blocking and teaching you stuff and let you see cutscenes, which is bearable/nice for the first time but does make the game less replayable.
tl:dr unchanged online and less replaybility value made the conversation die quickly, especially since the Switch has casted a big question mark on the future of the franchise (is it going to be on 3DS?Switch?A new console).
Plus maybe for newfags the board may feel emptier after the busy go-leak phase, but during quite times it's pretty much like this, hell 2011 and 2015 especially were considerably worse.
>>
>>32422462
The rate it has been growing in sales, about 10k people have been buying the game every day since January. The number of people playing it every day is MUCH higher than that.
>>
No replayability
>>
>>32421908
Because they provided short form entertainment that could come to an end with a focus on story and more side quests and such, rather than giving you never ending minigames. That is the way most people prefer it.
>>
>>32421908
because I caught em all.
>>
>>32421908
online is dogshit, fuck you festival plaza
>>
>>32422055
That was gen 3 for me, but yeah SM were about as lackluster as XY for me. I won't be sad when the meta shifts to a new game.
>>
>>32421937
Absolutely, but that's because XY were announced to be a worldwide release. BW2 lasted 16 months in Japan and a year in America. It sucks because they were really good.
>>
People shit on XY but at least theyre easy to replay and/or nuzlocke
>>
>>32422060
This.

Like most of you I was just a kid during gens 1 and 2. And I was solidly middle class just like most of you (probably) were. Back then I had to make a game last whether I liked it or not. My allowance would get me a new game only every 3 months or so, apart from birthdays/christmas, so if a new game sucked I either kept playing it anyway or went back to my old games. A lot of games I probably wouldn't have devoted much time to nowadays got the second chance to prove themselves in this way.

Being an adult means you have more choice, but the flip side of that is you are also paralyzed by choice. I have 6 games I am meaning to play through on 3DS right now, and most days I don't even bother because I find my sea of choices too daunting to tackle. That's why I stopped playing Sun as soon as I finished the end credits whereas for earlier Pokémon games I was tempted to explore every nook and cranny of the postgame. It's not necessarily because the game didn't draw me in as much (although it does have its problems), but the major issue is that I still need to beat FE: Fates Conquest, Zero Time Dilemma, Persona Q, DQ7, and that's on the 3DS ALONE. I am also a PC gamer and that takes up most of my time anyway. As an adult I just don't have the time to put into Pokémon anymore and most of you are probably in a similar position.
>>
>>32422164
There is accuracy to this. I think the festival plaza ruined online play and ease of access.

Otherwise. I beat Pokemon games and then spend time speculating and getting ready for the next game and new mons...
>>
>>32423297
Look around you, these are obviously people that have TOO MUCH time on their hands. I still don't get why they spend it all on ONE game, though. Especially since the only reason they play it doesn't even have to include actually playing the game. Really? What is it that you're trying to accomplish? No game was ever meant to be played this way. NONE.
>>
>>32423297
I got PQ when it came out, played it a bit and dropped it, you aren't missing much. Unless you love Etrian Odyssey, I think that was the game its mechanics are largely based on.
>>
>>32421908
Once I beat the E4 there wasn't really much left to do but find something I like, train it for a week, take it to the battle tree, realize it's shit and repeat with something else indefinitely.
>>
File: 14162894104115.jpg (40KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
14162894104115.jpg
40KB, 500x383px
>>32422102
>B2W2
>GOAT
>>
My guess would be because there have actually been quite a few worthwhile games that have come out over the past 6 months. Shantae, BOTW, Nier, Yakuza, Nioh.

And let's be honest, even if you like the games, you can't deny their linear and talk-heavy. Because of this, the replay value is a lot lower than other Pokemon games. I haven't played Sun/Moon since my first playthrough of it back in November/December, yet I've played ORAS twice since December.
>>
>>32423517
they were the last good pokemon games. fact.
>>
>>32421908
I did only make it through only one playthrough. I think it's just because I'm getting older, as a kid I played through Emerald probably double digit amount of times. Not that it was that good of a game but the game was just entertaining to 8 year old me. Now I played through SM once and I've got other stuff todo. It's a good game and I really enjoyed it but it's lost some of its appeal. I personally preferred the gym system much better then trials. I think now I am more a fan of the idea of Pokemon then the games.
>>
>>32421908
Like, I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough. But to answer your question: little to no post-game content.
>>
>>32421908
Play competitive and you'll realize it hasn't.
>>
>>32423648
this is one of the worst /vp/ memes.
>>
>>32425003
I got bored with competitive years ago, and Game Freak doesn't support 6v6 singles, so fuck it.
>>
>>32422164
that says a lot about the 3DS releases more than anything
>>
>>32423134
>>32423356
I still don't understand the hate for the festival plaza, all you have to do is select it from the menu (which you can move to the front page) and then click the big battle/trade icons that are there immediately
>>
>>32422790
Couldn't have put it better.

The inclusion of plot hurt the replayability of the games a lot. I actually felt that way back in BW already but no one would listen because muh N. At least BW2 redeemed those games to a large extent, nothing of sort happened to XY and I'm afraid we might get a repeat with SM, which is currently the worst about it's intrusive plot bullshit by far.

>2015
assuming we use the number of pruned threads as a measure of the board's activity, this is objectively wrong

ORAS/vp/ averaged around 700-900 pruned threads weekly, now its less than 500 (475 to be exact). I know cause I used to make fun of this board's dead state back then, i think i still have the screencaps saved somewhere.
>>
>>32425013
this

how the fuck is there no permanent 6v6 ladder yet is beyond me
>>
>>32423567
This. The constant plot, fade-to-black cutscenes, and really straightforward routes (up until part of Poni Island) gives us a really boring game.
>>
>>32421908
Something needs to change. Something mechanically, something battle related. And I'm not talking bullshit like mega pokemon or z moves; they need to add somethung completely different. It's been 20 years and nothing has changed, it's still very basic turn based jrpg bullshit, which is outdated if you don't do something new and exciting with it.
>>
>>32421908

game offers nothing interesting after datamine [even yx has more secrets and to do, even oras has base post game] and the online competition hasn't changed at all, they added very little useful items, moves, mon's, combinations... everything is tapu now
>>
>>32421908
because the game was fucking leaked to it's core almost a month before release and people don't give a shit about the games story, ending up with a "regular turn-based rpg with nothing new", getting used to the few changes in meta quick and thus we're stuck with people already asking for a new main installment.
>>
There's nothing to do.
The only postgame is the battle tree.
>>
>>32425433
I didn't even play the battle tree, I went and played Emerald/Platinum BF.
>>
Probably because there are no new pokemon worth getting other than legendaries and other one-time encounters. Also the competitive meta is fucking vile, not to mention extremely stale.
>>
>>32425438
I don't bother with battle tower and tower-likes.
Black Tower from Black 2 being the exception, the fact there's no level cap or restrictions on what pokemon you can use, and you can walk around choosing when to engage and fight like any route adds a LOT to the fun.
The world tournament, too, was pretty cozy.
>>
>>32421908
>no national dex
>in the 20th anniversary game

I wanted to catch them all this gen

but idk I liked most of the new pokes more creativity this gen and the story was tolerable

the tiers are so fucked now too. except uu which is fucking awesome now
>>
Didn't bring anything worthwhile to the table and what >>32425291 , >>32425433 and >>32425505 said.
>>
>>32421908
240p
>>
>>32425300
Yeah, the last major battle mechanic additions were Gen 5's HAs and the Gen 4 physical/special split. Everything after that has been gimmicky shit.
>>
Every gen is someone else's gen 1. Most of us have been through the ringer 7 times so we start to see flaws the games have more clearly. But every gen has its flaws - we just overlooked the glaring problems with RBY or whatever your first gen was because the concept of Pokemon was so new and exciting.
Sun and Moon were marketing triumphs (seriously the marketing for these games deserves awards) and accomplished bringing in new young players to the series who probably had just as magical a time as we had with our first ever Pokemon games and are still playing them avidly.
>>
>>32425300
>>32426796
Megas are anything but gimmick. Fuck off fags.
>>
>>32426870
>i-it's not the games that have gotten bad, it's you!
>>
>>32425191
>tap icon on menu
>appear in plaza
>connect online
>have to save
>connecting...
>connected!
>connecting to global link...
>Too little time has passed
>go into guests menu and try to find your friends
>far harder than the PSS because they're mixed in with randoms and there's no friends menu at all
>finally manage to find them after having them DC and reconnect over and over

Compare it with gen 6, where it was just
>tap wifi icon on lower screen
>connected after saving, if you set it to that
>there's an actual friend list that's far easier to use
>>
>>32425009
Hating Gen 5 because "lel Gen 5 xD" is a meme.
>>
>>32425456
Battle Tower/White Treehollow are really underrated. It's a shame it's almost never mentioned during any BW2 related discussion. Many people probably wrote it off as another tower clone.
>>
>>32426870
Okay, and?

You assume everyone's first game is their favorite, which is obviously bullshit.
>>
>>32425300
the only thing they can do is make the battles real time, and neither them or the fanbase wants to screw the established mechanics over just to be "fresh and new". It's honestly why Digimon games aren't as popular, despite many of them being good.
>>
>>32421908
All because of 4chans early leak and it popping up on youtube twitter and every killing the hype/surprise 3 weeks in advance.
>>
>>32429908
*and everywhere
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.