[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Pokemon isn't Nintendo number 1 franchise right now"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20170427-035006.png (572KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170427-035006.png
572KB, 1080x1920px
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/3ds.html

Pokemon 3 out of top 4 spots. Nintendo really should game freak out to make games better
>>
>>32411795
>Nintendo really should game freak out to make games better
Do you want to try that sentence again?
>>
Nintendo IPs like Mario and Zelda still never ever come close to Pokemon despite how hard Nintendo try to push them on everyone.
>>
Mario Kart 7 has a three-year head start on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire too.

Pokémon really did just dominate all other software on the 3DS.
>>
>>32411839
Nothing comes close to pokemon. I've seen people who've bought nintendo handhelds exclusively to play pokemon and nothing else. 20 years going and it's still a phenomenon.
>>
so, how is pokemon not the top, if they are 1st and 2nd highest?
>>
>>32411839
Zelda I can understand. But how has Mario not come close. Mario is literally the face of video game. The super Mario bros series is the number one selling video game series. Pokemon is in second, Sonic in third and Zelda in forth
>>
>>32412490
Wait remove the Sonic and Zelda. I mistaken them for something else. The rest still stands
>>
>>32411831
He probably wanted to say fire. Which I agree with, kick their lazy asses out so they actually try making good games again to earn their popularity.
>>
>>32412490
Mario only sold that much because it came out at a time there weren't any other good games, and only one real console. And had almost 20 years of head start on Pokemon. And Mario has appeared in over 250 games.
As it is now, Mario doesn't receive even half the hype Pokemon does. Pokemon has moved past being just a game. It's a toy series, movie series, TV series, manga, Trading Card game, you name it. Mario doesn't even come close.
>>
>>32411795
No, pokemon is the Pokemon company's franchise
>>
>>32411795
So it's a given the 3DS is getting more main series games?

I don't think you would get those numbers for a game on the Switch until like 2019/2020.
>>
>>32412612
And the fandom refuses to recognize this why? Actually, there is one thing we can learn from Mario. Having spinoffs actually revitalized the franchise. Although that fandom was more open to the idea of spinoffs. This one is the only one that refuses spinoffs of any kind.
>>
>>32412667
Because Pokemon has shit spinoffs compared to Mario. Mario Kart and Party are great fun games everyone can enjoy, whether they like Mario or even know what it isn't going to change that. Pokemon has, at best, Pokken.
>>
>>32412678
Well, let's see. The two most successful spinoffs to come from pokemon had two really different approaches, but didn't really escape the genre it is already set in. Mystery Dungeon still plays like an RPG, but just with more strategy game elements mixed in. Ranger was an action RPG, which is the farthest they've departed and still were successful. Pokemon had it's own racing game that didn't do well; it tried to do a minigame palooza, that didn't work; that expanded to almost a platformer, that didn't work. Before all that, they made a lot of puzzle games, none of them gaining any notoriety. Now they have a bunch of apps, which are just garbage by default.

Mario didn't start out deviating that much, either. It spunoff into Yoshi, which for a time, was really popular until it shot itself in the foot and then they tried to bring it back and it's been meh since. They made the titular kart racer that became it's own series. They had a lot of sport game spinoffs that I've never heard about again. They tried to go the RPG route and eventually spawned not one but TWO different RPG series that even recently had their own crossover. A lot of people like both, but their recent entries have left a lot to be desired. Then we have Mario Party, which practically invented a new genre.

Mario has indeed tried A LOT of different things, but while some of them, Mario has tried them too, but Mario succeeded at them while Pokemon failed. Mind you, that for the RPG specifically, they needed the help of RPG masters Square to even make it work. The common thread between all of them is that they were all still fun, whereas whenever Pokemon tried something, it fell flat. The potential is there, but they need someone that knows what they're doing to do it right. TPCI likes to keep a stranglehold on their property, so that is why nothing can be really done about it. It's kind of an unfair comparison, though, since Nintendo is way larger and has far more resources
>>
>>32412773
>TPCI likes to keep a stranglehold on their property
They're not that dead set on it, though. Barring MD, the last few Spinoffs has been handled by others. Pokken, Conquest, GO, even Shuffle and Duel to some extent.
>>
And yes, I am aware that they have collaborated on something before, Conquest to be exact. This, I feel, though, was them making the wrong choice on which strategy game to emulate. Nobody knows that series, and it's characters, they know more from Samurai Warriors. It was just a colossal misstep on their part, but it was more so Nintendo could have a better partnership with Koei. Pokken was also a collaboration and it resulted in something I would say was a smoother transition, but it needs more content (and better advertisement) to even gain notoriety at all. I don't know fighters well enough to know if they could've made a better choice, as they all seem identical to me, so any of them could've done. I guess they were actually smart to take the one that already doesn't take themselves seriously and already includes animal people and such.

Maybe we can see more interesting collaborations later on, but it makes me unsettled that still, Nintendo could just use it to get in good with third parties again. (here's a hint, Nintendo: MAKE YOUR CONSOLE ACTUALLY AS POWERFUL AS THE OTHERS, AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO PORT THEIR GAMES TO YOU) Again, the potential is there, but they need someone that can do it well.
>>
>>32412828
Well, yeah, I forgot that MD was a collaboration, too. Then again, Chunsoft was willing to cross Mystery Dungeon with anything. HAL labs, better known for the Kirby series, helped make Ranger.
>>
>This fucking thread

I don't even, I'm glad I'm not 17 anymore.
>>
>>32412865
What do you mean?
>>
>>32411929
I've bought a 2DS for when gen 6 was released just to play Pokemon.
Then another one when gen 7 was released cause I wanted to play SUMO so bad.
Gotta admit it wasn't worth it the second time.
>>
>>32412490

Mario is - in many cases - a party game. the sort of thing you play when you've got people round.

Pokemon's more the single-player time sink.

I think the latter kind of game's more likely to push sales, despite the fact that nintendo seem to be focusing the former a bit.
>>
>>32412667

Depends on the spinoff.

I liked Colloseum and Gale of Darkness. They were a new and interesting way to play pokemon.

I'm less a fan of Mystery Dungeon, Conquest or Shuffle style games, which are other games with pokemon skins.

Plus, an aspect that matters a lot to me is the continuity. I've still got some pokemon from gen 3. would spinoffs support that kind of system?
>>
Its a portable console, the only reason they exist are for playing pokemon
>>
>>32411795
Why make the games better when people eat them up regardless of effort? They want to make as much money as possible
>>
>>32411929
>>32412892
Literally this. I'am 22 and bought a 2DS just for Pokemon Sun last year.....still haven't buy it tho
>>
>>32412664
>So it's a given the 3DS is getting more main series games?
maybe
>>
Also, let's be real. Mario is the normalfag's franchise. It always appealed to anyone even if they are not a gamer. I know there's some irony to that, since some parts of the old games are so frustrating that it helped coin the term Nintendo Hard. That was just how old games worked, though, and it became less and less as time went on. Everyone knows what it is and they can easily get into it. Having a lot of spinoffs only extended this idea. Now there is a Mario for almost every genre. (it hasn't gone the FPS route, which I don't think Nintendo will ever allow)

RPGs from the beginning had a bad rep, being the plaything of basement dwellers. It takes a lot to even know how to play one. Admittedly, pokemon is so simple that literally just pressing random buttons will still give you progress, but also, for an RPG, it is the most bland experience you will have outside of really bad bootlegs and franchise pretenders. There is a reason all but the most hardcore left it and it became just a fad. And yes, I will say that regardless of how easy they make it, there is nothing that interesting about pokemon to appeal to the mass market. Their "attempts" at having better content were flimsy and otherwise made no sense.

They had the right idea to think of what makes other RPGs great, but they still did it wrong. They need someone that can actually get it right. As for exploring the other potential it has, I'm not certain if that is what should happen in some regard. Mario's RPGs are still popular, but they're not the most popular things in the franchise. Everything else will eclipse the RPG simply because it's not as popular as the other genres. Honestly, there is no way to increase the popularity of the main series save to make it a better RPG. We can't do that by being Mario.
>>
So Sun and Moon sold only one additional million copies since end of December? Thats a big slow down

Last time it was at over 14 millions at the end of december
>>
>>32413058
It had to slow down at some point, it was the fastest selling Pokemon game for the longest time. Depending on when the next Pokemon game is announced, it'll outsell XY this year. It likely already has outsold BW.
>>
>>32413058
Compared to the itinal sales it received, it might be slow, but a million isn't "slow" slow, anon. Most games don't even sell a million in their lifetime. SM is still selling about 10k every day. Even if the speed drops by half, by the end of the year, it would still surpass XY.
>>
>>32413068
To be fair, everything has outsold BW
>>
>>32411795
And? Mario has always been Nintendo's number one franchise, with Zelda and Pokemon being interchangeable for number 2.
>>
>>32412936
>Buys a system for a game
>Still hasn't bought the game
This is a new level of laziness right here.
>>
>>32413737
Dude you read the op. Pokemon is 3 out of 4 positions. Mario kart release in 2011 more time and still couldn't beat the king Pokemon . Also Pokemon go made way way way more money than mario super run.

Pokemon is number 1 now
>>
>>32411795
>Nintendo really should game freak out to make games better
But it doesn't even matter, so why not cut corners. Pokemon fans have like no standards really. If the game is shit, the sales are usually the same anyways. That's why the other games are remembered for years to come in the gaming community and the Pokemon fans just wants to remake Red/Blue again every gen.
>>
>>32412667
We need Pokemon spinoffs compatible with the main series, where you can use your Pokemon for things other than battling. Their in-game stats could determine their performance in the spinoff game.

People could bring their Pokemon games over and play a Pokemon fighting game, Pokemon party game, Pokemon racing game, etc. with their bros.
>>
>>32415355
>I have to train for fighting before training for anything else.

You just discredited your own idea. If you wanted to use pokemon for stuff beside battling, you wouldn't need to use the main game to do shit.
>>
>>32415372
They could make breeding and training in the main games easier and faster.
>>
>>32415382
>make training faster

That makes the game purposeless

Breeding is fine.
>>
>>32415393
The game wouldn't be purposeless if there were other things to do besides battling.
>>
>>32415408
In the main series? I thought we were trying to determine would spinoffs could do. Why would you make a spinoff that does that when you want the main series to do it too?
>>
File: yoshi's safari.jpg (340KB, 1365x768px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi's safari.jpg
340KB, 1365x768px
>>32412994
>it hasn't gone the FPS route
Well, there was pic-related...
>>
>>32412900
no taste, NO TASTE
>>
>>32411839
>Nintendo IPs like Mario and Zelda still never ever come close to Pokemon
Except for when it came to the DS
>>
>>32412893
I think you have that backwards anon.
Mario is the game that most people play solo or at the most while switching out.
Pokémon has always been a social game played with friends with less focus on the single player content compared to the multiplayer aspects.
>>
>>32411839
breath of the wild just sold over 3million in its first month
>>
>>32411795
Reminder that the sales for SM appear higher because this is the first time the Chinese have access to these games.
>>
>>32411839
I used to only buy nintendo consoles/handhelds to play Pokemon exclusively
Now I just buy the Pokemon custom console/handheld and buy whatever seems interesting when I get bored
>>
>>32415789
All hype. Watch it crash and burn.
>>
>>32411929
I'm one of those. I have a DS Lite, a DSi and a 3DS XL just to play Pokémon, nothing more.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.