[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion: /rpg/ - Retro Pokemon General?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: retro.png (172KB, 350x351px) Image search: [Google]
retro.png
172KB, 350x351px
Are there enough fans of the more old-school Pokemon games on /vp/ to warrant a general? I know most of you are on the younger side, but I know there is an older crowd that lurks here too, and even some of you college-aged folks might be into it. It's something I've tried to start up before with fairly decent results.

It would just be sort of a cover-all containment general to discuss the series up to the end of Gen 2, post art and merch, discuss battle strategies, share media, reminisce, etc. Maybe we could even create our own little meta on Showdown at some point, or set up a server to battle and trade between ROMs.

Those are just a few ideas, but I think a /vr/-themed general for this board could be fun. Thoughts?
>>
>>32393489
>Discussion: /rpg/ - Retro Pokemon General?
>Are there enough fans of the more old-school Pokemon games on /vp/ to warrant a general? I know most of you are on the
>younger side, but I know there is an older crowd that lurks here too, and even some of you college-aged folks might be into it. It's something I've tried to start up before with fairly decent results.
Yeah, people who played the old games are totally a special snowflake minority, that's why gf panders to them so much.

>It would just be sort of a cover-all containment general to discuss the series up to the end of Gen 2, post art and merch, discuss battle strategies, share media, reminisce, etc. Maybe we could even create our own little meta on Showdown at some point, or set up a server to battle and trade between ROMs.
There already is.

>Those are just a few ideas, but I think a /vr/-themed general for this board could be fun. Thoughts?
We had a fuckton of gen 1 and 2 threads just make one like that. You dont need to pull that special snowflake card to discuss gen 1 and 2 you just need to do it.
>>
>>32393495
No one is pulling the "special snowflake" card. But generally discussing the older games in a positive light on /vp/ just stirs up arguments. So a general would contain the discussion to one thread and people like you, who can't discuss this without saying "pandering" and "snowflake" can fuck off without having it affect your delicate sensibilities.
>>
>>32393508
>No one is pulling the "special snowflake" card.
You do though, dont play dumb.

>But generally discussing the older games in a positive light on /vp/ just stirs up arguments.
Not really, only when you go nostalgiafag mode and /vp/ is full of nostalgiafags anyways.

>So a general would contain the discussion to one thread and people like you, who can't discuss this without saying "pandering" and "snowflake" can fuck off without having it affect your delicate sensibilities.
You know anyone who comes to /vp/ can post in any /vp/ thread right? I dont give a shit about showderp but I can still go there and post if I want.
>>
>>32393532
Fuckin hell man. You must have a lot of friends.
>>
>>32393489
not really. the only thing i liked about gen1 was missingno. i don't get nostalgy boner at olivander town and i thinks that the fact i couldn't see the bp of moves was absolutly cancerous.

i liked g3 remakes of the first games, because at their core, those games ware good. but boy do they needed some fixing.

that being said, playing without caring about stab bp ev and iv was a joy in itself. being a dumbfuck who used his masterball on zapdos was also fun.

just sand in cool mons who kill enemies with cool attacks. g1 is where i first met parasect and i still love it.
>>
>>32393489
I'd be down.

>>32393495
>>32393532
> 'special snowflake'
Hey Trumpet, how you liking that approval rating?
>>
The visual style for the Gameboy Pokemon games remains my favorite. The pastel colors and simplicity of the overworld tiles are some of my favorite aesthetics in video gsmes to this day.
>>
File: Incineroar Old Sugimori style.jpg (153KB, 1348x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Incineroar Old Sugimori style.jpg
153KB, 1348x1050px
>>32393489
I really miss the old Sugimori style. It could save so many designs of late, and made me appreciate some of the old Gen 1/2 mons I would've turned away from in disgust if released today.
>>
>>32394193
>Hey Trumpet, how you liking that approval rating?

This isn't going to work if you start bringing stuff like that in here, man.
>>
Zapdos or Raikou for a gen2 team?
>>
File: Mega evolutions.png (208KB, 900x394px) Image search: [Google]
Mega evolutions.png
208KB, 900x394px
>>32394454
Ordinarily I hate Mega Mewtwo Y, but for some reason I appreciate it a lot more with this artstyle.
>>
>>32394490
It does look way more awesome like that.

>>32394475
I like Zapdos if only for the ground immunity. Both are solid though. Maybe look at your team composition and choose that way.
>>
>>32394454
Holy shit those art and proportions are so much fucking better. Now that's an actually cool looking Pokemon. Not the dumb barafurry mlp character we got. Now just make a sprite of that artwork and put it in a 2D game without those fucking anal seeping hideous fucking abhorrent fecal fucking shit matter graphics we have these days

Gen VII could have been great
Someone do an Emerald hack of SM but add like, a lot lot LOT more content and equivalently less dialogue boxes
>>
>>32393569
Aside from IVs and to a lesser extent EVs all those things existed though. You were just younger. You don't have to care about any of those things now unless you want to engage in higher level play which was always the case.
>>
>>32394475
110% fucking Zapdos

You can't even use Raikou in the Pokecup because it doesn't get Crunch til after 60, maybe 80 or something like that and that's the only reason I'd even wanna run Raikou over Jolteon who I'd honestly prefer. If your team's good on speed, go Zapdos, but if your team could use that 130 base Twave, go Jolt

Both are sick anyway I wouldn't mind either on my team
>>
File: Cross-Over.full.2076069.jpg (381KB, 500x544px) Image search: [Google]
Cross-Over.full.2076069.jpg
381KB, 500x544px
>>32393489
Are there honestly enough people on /vp/ who haven't played the gameboy color games that the people who have are special?

I love the old games, but I don't think there needs to be a general about them.
>>
This doesn't need a general.
>>
>>32393489
I started with Leaf Green, though it seems a little too late for discussion and I was young when I played it, have always loved Bulbasaur, and its evos and it was my first starter, don't get Charizard and Gyarados fags
>>
>>32394696
You don't need a general.
>>
File: haunter.png (642B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
haunter.png
642B, 56x56px
I'll bite, OP.

I replayed Yellow last year when the Virtual Console release launched. It was the first time I actually got through a Pokemon game entirely on my own without someone fucking with my save, using a Game Shark, hijacking my game and crushing the Elite 4 so they could transfer a ditto, etc. Really liked it start to finish. Yeah, Gen I is broken, but it's easy to avoid most of the glitches. The adventuring aspects are minimally enough that it's possible to build a team with all HM options available, as well as dig and teleport, without totally crippling yourself. Only problem I have with it is the end game grinding (or item and luck-based all level 45 run) and the lack of any real post-game after catching Mewtwo, aside from all the Pokemon to catch in areas you've already played to death.

I remember getting the Gen II games when they came out, but I never got far. It's a little hard making time for games with a career in software development and all that jazz, but I do what I can and I legitimately love all the programming shenanigans behind these games. I wish they'd patch Gen II for Virtual Console and just link the time to the 3DS clock. It wouldn't be that hard to emulate with a few adjustments. Then again, using the coin case can make the game shit itself.

What is the most goofy and fun way to get through the Stadium games? I know Mewtwo wrecks face but I recall a lot of those battles being absolute horseshit otherwise.
>>
>>32394614
Theoretically any Pokémon could have perfect stats back then, and there were no natures. It was a fundamental difference.
>>
File: sugimori_style_gen_5.jpg (79KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
sugimori_style_gen_5.jpg
79KB, 600x800px
>>32393489
I would stop being a genwunner if they brought back the old sugimori style from gens 1-2. It just blows everything they have today out of the water. The games wouldn't have been as special if the artworks on the box and manual didn't look so ferocious and really put the "monster" in pocket monsters.

The artwork today is 100% crap. The poses, the level of saturation, the expressions, etc. just all looks simultaneously saccharine and sterile.
>>
>>32393495
OP really set you off hey? Maybe you'll be feeling better in the morning
>>
>>32394614
i didn't say those things didn't existed. i said playing witout knowing about those things was fun.
>>
>>32396828
Yeah I think he blew a gasket over OPs words. Maybe OP should add a big ***CONTENT WARNING*** for his next thread to appease the members of gen z...
>>
>>32396714
I never realized just how true this is. Honestly it's one of the more glaring differences between the earlier gens and the more modern ones. It all looks like rubbery baby shit anymore.
>>
>>32396438
You could use some of the more broken strats, like AgiliWrap Dragonite.
>>
>>32393489
Things I miss from gen 1/2
- different sprites for each game
- both legendaries available
- the music and sounds (kinda miss these old 16bit music)
- game is more exploration instead of story focus
- pokemon looked more creepy/mature

That are the only things I miss.
>>
>>32393489
This thread will trigger a lot of people because they somehow believe that the later games are shit because they pander to gen 1 (when in reality, they're shit because of Game Freak's incompetence). Even when RBY were released on the eShop and there was a valid reason to discuss them, half of /vp/ was completely buttblasted about it.

Either way, I do enjoy the aesthetics and music of the older Pokemon games, the only thing I miss when I replay them is the conveniences that the later games added. Although I don't really see this being a long-lasting general, especially since people will prefer to trade/battle on the later games and no-one will bother to complete the Pokedex on an emulator.
>>
>>32398064
No, it will trigger people because of shit like >>32396714 where you can now openly say you're a nostalgiafag and get a pass.
>>
who thinks Red/Blue are a better experience than Yellow?
Yellow really needed updated back sprites and thus felt like a half-measure.

I like the inaccurate sprites of Blue, and having to choose 1 of the three true starters while your rival picks one with a type advantage

I also like building a team in these games, making best use of the single-use TM's
>>
>>32398538
>tfw it's gotten to the point where being a nostalgiafag is objectively correct
Where did it go so wrong boys?
>>
>>32399131
Saying this at any point after gen 3 came out is semantically wrong though.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.