[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else wishes the games were still using sprites?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1483977512023.gif (1KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
1483977512023.gif
1KB, 96x96px
Who else wishes the games were still using sprites?
>>
>>32386206
Only hipsters
>>
>>32386206
I wish they'd use the Gen 5 sprites for the PokéDex instead of thise bad stills of the models.
>>
>>32386206
Just you
>>
>>32386218
No, the stills are really good. I do wish we still had the sprites overall, though.

I'm thinking that if they do switch over to the Switch for the mainline titles, then they'll have "spinoffs" with basically just more main series games but in older styles - like gen 1 style sprites with new Pokémon and so on and so forth, gen 2, 3, 4, 5, you know. I think it would be cool at least.
>>
>>32386206
fuck off reddit
>>
>>32386206
not me, 3D is great and opens up tons of potential

it's the fact that the 3D games are just as empty and lifeless as their 2/2.5D predecessors that makes them shitty, and they can't excuse it away with simple graphics
>>
>>32386218
Gen 6 had boring stills in the pokedex, but it got a lot better in Sun/Moon.
Now a lot of them have poses, giving this oldschool feel to them.
>>
>>32386206
I don't. Mainline Pokemon sprites always looked fucking awful. Look at Conquest. Same system as the DS games yet it looks a thousand times better.
>>
>We could have had double the normal resolution sprites (200x200? 160x160?) "hi-res" battle sprites.
>Transceiver art style only lasted one gen and we got the Holocaster right next gen.

3D was something we weren't ready for, just accept it. They should have used those models in a Wii U spin off game to test the waters and style. 3D is a necessary step I must say, but they went the wrong way about it. I guess it only gets better.
>>
>>32386206
Only faggots want that.

Pokemon Go is proof the models can look better though.
>>
From the complaints I've seen, there are two things that need to be done. One is more pokemon need a neat idle animation or at least a more interesting one, and two is STOP MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND LIKE A DUMBASS.
>>
>>32386568
>STOP MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND LIKE A DUMBASS
>>Not wanting a dynamic impression
The game is kinda low res, I'm glad that the camera turns and zooms around so I can look at the models/pokemon better.
Also, most turn based RPGs do this kinda of stuff, it's not exactly something new, I guess Pokemon never did it before Gen 6 simply because it was 2D.
>>
sprites are so much better than models
>>
>>32386583
Well, I say it because I think it's making people miss out on some of the pokemon's idle animations. Yes, it does need to move around so that people can see the pokemon and it's great that we don't have to see our own pokemon solely from the behind anymore. True, I haven't seen enough of modern RPGs to know how they handle this, or at least not a lot of them use turn based anymore. Regardless, the idea is that people want the pokemon to be more lively, and apparently, what they're doing now isn't doing it. I saw this as a hindrance to why people think that the models are not interesting.
>>
File: kyogre.png (165KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
kyogre.png
165KB, 800x520px
The models are meh, but does anyone else really wish they kept the old cries? They butchered so many that the ~7 that got improved were definitively not fucking worth it. I wish they put more effort into them than forcing them through a muffled filter.
>>
File: e46.gif (2MB, 320x270px) Image search: [Google]
e46.gif
2MB, 320x270px
>>32386592
I disagree, while sprites gives us nostalgia fuel for the games, models enable the pokemon to become more expressive and interesting. You get to see the functionalities of some pokemon without relying on the anime or merchandise.
>>
The models are great, but the animation is virtually nonexistent. I'd much rather have the expressive animations of colosseum/pbr than the stiff flop every mon does when it gets hurt now

>inb4 MUH WASTED SECOND

Turn off animations then fag
>>
>>32386646
>You get to see the functionalities of some pokemon without relying on the anime or merchandise.
*Insert Mega-Blastoise Hydro Pump*
>>
>>32386218
Sprites are ugly, 5th gen sprites are even worse, what's your point?
>>
>>32386206
Play rom-hacks then
>>
>>32386206
Can I source this? I failed to find it and it looks quite good. I'm curious of the same person makes more sprites of the same quality.
>>
>>32386206
I hope they stay in the dex
>>
>>32386611
>I think it's making people miss out on some of the pokemon's idle animations
They miss them because they mainly play on Showdown and think the gif that are often posted here and used there are how the mons are ingame.

You know how many people don't know Skarmory and others flap their wings?
>>
I do. But only GF's output has been absolute shit since they went 3D
>>
>>32386206
I do. I love making Perler art of Pokemon, and it's a LOT harder to make custom art of 3D models, or find half decent custom sprite work of new Pokemon to make. Plus, even if you find decent sprite work, you still need to get permission from the artist to make/post it online. That's no easy feat either, with everyone being uppity and "no, it's mine"
>>
>>32390296
haha nerd
>>
>>32386316
Tauros looks like he's reaching for a nipple xD
>>
>>32386206
Id like the 3d models more if more of them had more lively animations. Even a pre battle pose when they come out of the ball would help many for me.
>>
>>32386206
No. How battles look are the only thing that's actually better in recent games.
>>
>>32388016
>5th gen sprites are even worse
well that's just because they were super low-res
>>
Me, 3d models are ugly garbage specially flying pokemon
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.