[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone remember the sprites for Pokemon being different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 24

Does anyone remember the sprites for Pokemon being different between Red and Blue?
I had the red version and my brother had the blue version.
I distinctly remember the sprites being different. For example Bulbasaur looked like the bottom sprite in my picture for the red version.
The problem is that they are now identical. In this picture the left image is Pokemon Blue, the right image is Pokemon Red, and the bottom image is from Pokemon Green which was only released in Japan.
>>
>>32377260
Its the same with Charmander (I remember the bottom sprite appearing in Pokemon Red, but it doesn't anymore)
>>
>>32377274
And for Squirtle. I remembered a lot of sprites from the green version were in my red cartridge, but now they all look like how they looked in the blue cartridge.
>>
>>32377290
Picture.
>>
>>32377260
Japanese red had the same sprites as green.
Worldwide Red and Blue shared the same sprites iirc.
The sprites being different from one version to the other was just in gen 2. Maybe that's what's confusing you.
>>
>>32377260
You are wrong and have manufactured your incorrect memories.
>>
>>32377312
No I had red and it was different man. This is what Blastoise looked like in my version. I distinctly remember looking at my brothers game (blue) and thinking about how bad his version looked.
>>
Sure you aren't thing of Gold and Silver?
>>
>>32377359
This is what Blastoise now looks like in both red and blue.
>>32377350
Not possible.
>>
>>32377359
You sure you didn't have a japanese red? I think your memory is failing you man.
>>
>>32377260
>A strange seed was planted on its back at birth. The plant sprouts and grows with this POKéMON.
Regional form without the plant and type ground when?
>>
>>32377359
Then it was a bootleg. I've seen a bootlegged Red version that was a crummy translation of a Japanese Red game, which used those sprites.
>>
>>32377371
Yeah my brother and I played both of those games as well.

Does anyone else remember this or is it just me?
>>
>>32377260
Either you are remembering wrong or you had a bootlegged game that was made using the Japanese version.
>>
>>32377389
>>32377386
>>32377400
No it was a completely legit version.
>>
>>32377389
We had store bought english versions of the game.
I can't be the only person who experienced different sprites for the Pokemon between the english versions of red and blue.
>>
>>32377442
>>32377423
Maybe someone else bought a bootleg and returned it to the store in the original packaging to get a cheap game.
>>
>>32377506
Why would somebody go to the trouble of translating the ROM to do that? The english in the cart was identical to the official red version.
>>
>>32377391
You're probably thinking of Gold and Silver, then.
>>
>>32377565
No I am not, I had Gold and the sprites were different again (matching the current version). I also had Yellow and again my experience of the sprites in that version matches the current version. Its just this red cartridge where I experienced different sprites.
>>
>>32377423
>>32377442
>>32377558
Welcome to bootlegging. It was especially rampant in the 90s where DRM was nonexistent and profit margins for Gameboy games were enormous. Games weren't like what they are now, normal stores and distributors had bootlegs in the store, in sealed packaging, all the time. Nobody running a business would know the difference between bootlegged games and legitimate ones since the gaming industry was so young, with companies coming and going every year.

If you found your copy of Red, it'd make it a lot easier. An easy test would be doing the Dokokashira door glitch. If it works, you have a translated bootleg.

Your version of the game was a translated bootleg of Japanese Red.
>>
>>32377586
No, you're probably remembering a difference you only noticed with Gold and Silver, and applying that difference in your mind to Red and Blue. Red and Blue had the same sprites. You didn't have some magical special game that had the Red/Green sprites.
>>
>>32377600
This. I honestly did the same.
I could've sworn that Red and Blue had different sprites until I checked bulbapedia because of this thread. I guess they didn't.
>>
>>32377710
Do you remember what they looked like?

I distinctly remember the sprites in my game looking like the ones I've posted.
>>
Not to hijack the thread but I had a distinct memory of my sister having an item called "devolution spray" (like the tcg card) in hee bag in red version. Obviously I know it wasn't real as my copy is legit and had no other weird issues. Perhaps you saw the sprites somewhere else as a child, someone else's copy or a website maybe, but you can't remember and perhaps you just "assume" you saw them in your copy? Just me playing armchair psychologist.
On another note I don't remember even clicking on this thread. I thought that the OP was a response in another thread.
>>
It's not shameful to admit that your memory is failing you, OP. It's been nearly two decades. There's no mystical or supernatural explanation for your experiences; either your brain has made up some memories to cover for holes in them which you now try to further defend, or your copy was a bootleg as others have already suggested.
>>
The Green sprites are Japan\Korea\China exclusive, everywhere else has Pokémon Red with the Blue sprites.
>>
OP is right. And i think that none of you have actually played Red and Blue when they came out (probably because you weren't even born).

Red and Blue actually had different sprite-sets, in the first cartridges (at least for the european realease) since one game used the sprites from Red/Green and the other one the onse from Red/Blue.
>>
is this going to turn into another mandela effect thread

because if it is I'm out of here
>>
>>32377260
>>32379145
No they didn't you dumb cunts, just check Bulbapedia or any other shit that comes up with google really.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Blue_Versions
>Unlike later generations, Red and Blue were not the same as their corresponding Japanese releases. Japan had gotten their first pair of Pokémon games as Pokémon Red and Green, which in all aspects were the same as Red and Blue with the exception of Pokémon sprite designs and more numerous bugs. When preparing the games for their English release, it was decided that Red and Green would be merged with Japan's already-released third version, Pokémon Blue, for its improved graphics, sound, and lack of easily accessed gamebreaking glitches.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Blue_Version_(Japanese)
>All Pokémon have new front sprites but retain the same back sprites from Red and Green. Trainers and the literal Ghost have the same sprites from Red and Green. The sprites from Blue would later be used in the international Pokémon Red and Blue.
Pokémon have new Pokédex entries.

They just gave Japanese Blues's new sprites to the western release. Only possible exlanation for OP's memory is that he played a early/patched/pirated Japanese version of Red with the old sprites.
>>
>>32377759
Most official artwork for the games and anime used the original Red/Green sprites as a base. You remember Blastoise looking like this >>32377359 because that's what it looked like everywhere outside Japanese Blue and English Red/Blue. Pretty much everyone saw some official art of Blastoise before they saw its bizarre sprite in their English game.
>>
>>32377359
That's the sprite from Red and Green, not any future versions.
>>
cartridge version of red and blue (outside of japan) definitely used different sprites.

when pokemon first came out in japan, it was only red and green. when it was released in america, it was red and blue, but red had the sprites from the japanese green version.

dunno why the rom is showing the same sprites now. could be a dimension jump.
>>
>>32379377
That's what I'm trying to say, but people here go nuts and quote Bulbapedia (an encyclopedia that probably they filled themselves) as if it was the truth.

I perfectly remember Red and Blue having different sprite-sets. One game used the ones from Japanese Red and Green and the other one the ones from Japanese Blue.
>>
File: boi.jpg (68KB, 1603x820px) Image search: [Google]
boi.jpg
68KB, 1603x820px
>>32379377
>>32379419
>would rather believe he crossed parallel universes rather than admit he may be remembering wrong
>expects people to believe his own undocumented anedoctal experience rather than an extensive online encyclopedia backed by multiple sources
We are reaching /pol/ levels of delusion here.
>>
>>32379419
Then they were probably early bootlegs or some kind of rare early released special rare collector's ++gold premium™ versions, shit son I don't know. I just booted my Red and Blue cartridges (french ones admittedly) and they have the same sprites. You may very well have played a jap version once and remember the sprites being in the english ones or something.
>>
>>32379476
The first guy either genuinely had a bootleg or is misremembering, or he's an elaborate Mandela effect troll, but the others are pretty obviously trolls trying to force parallel universe discussion.
>>
>>32379476
>>32379487
>>32379501
No. I have an unquestionably accurate recollection of playing red with different sprites to my brothers blue. Definitely not mis-remembering or anything like that. The english was identical to current ROMs (even verified the MD5 has to make sure)

As I said, we had Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver. I remember the sprites being different in all of them. Just about all of the sprites in Red were better than Blue, some of the sprites in Yellow were a bit better. The sprites in Gold were better than the ones in Silver.

I had a Mew and on my Red cart it was flying, did not look like the current red/blue version, or the Japanese red/green version.
>>
>>32379540
>I had a Mew and on my Red cart it was flying, did not look like the current red/blue version, or the Japanese red/green version.

My point exactly.
>>
File: 1491878853171.png (70KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
1491878853171.png
70KB, 250x235px
>We all clearly remember pikachu having a black tip on its tail
>Now its pure yellow
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>32379770
No we don't, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>32379540
Either you got a bootleg green or more likely you're retarded and trust your memory over verifiable objective facts
>>
>>32379786
I wonder if they know the same person that I do that somehow INSISTS pikachu was supposed to have a white tipped tail.
>>
File: 1491877418130.png (84KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
1491877418130.png
84KB, 250x235px
>>32379770
>>
File: 095.png (156KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
095.png
156KB, 475x475px
Remember Onyx.. or the pokemon formerly known as Onyx.. who is now Onix... well this just doesnt rub me right... im 100% sure it was Onyx, anyways thats besides the point of this post.. in an unrelated chat on groupme someone posted a picture of a Zapados card from Team rocket... well Zapados is no longer, and now he is Zapdos... this is also clearly very wrong to me... but the guy insisted it was always Zapdos...
>>
>>32379977
>im 100% sure it was Onyx
I'm 100% sure you're wrong because I remember noticing that it was Onix and not Onyx way back in 2003 on SPPf.
>>
>>32379770
It never was.

You were just a retarded kid.
>>32379540
>flying mew
That sounds similar to sprite from Yellow.
>>
File: 145_Zapdos_AG.png (31KB, 982x674px) Image search: [Google]
145_Zapdos_AG.png
31KB, 982x674px
>>32379977
Also, his evolution.. Steelyx sounds wrong.. Steelix is more like it..
>>32379984
Well in my timeline I think it was different...
>>
>>32380006
>Also, his evolution.. Steelyx sounds wrong.. Steelix is more like it..
Well shit, you're right for once, dumbass.
>>
File: 75.png (1KB, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
75.png
1KB, 56x56px
>>32379977
>>32380006
I had these sprites in my Gen 1 Pokemon Red. No longer...
>>
File: Playground.jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Playground.jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
>>32377260
Yeah my cousin's brother's friend had a copy just like that.
>>
>>32379886
>>32379770
OH MY GOODNESS YES I didn't even realize this?? I always just assumed it had a black tip. I even definitely remember having a pikachu toy that said "Pika!" and "Pikachuuuu!" and it had a black tipped tail. I cannot deal with this.
>>
The skeptics are very very very aggressive here. If you check the comment history it will be some young kid exclusively devoted to debunking the idea that things could have been different for other people. Very biased.
>>
This thread started ok but now it's far too dumb.
Like others stated, it's obvious that OP played a pirated version of the japanese games, one with a english translation, this is all that there's to it, nothing more.
>>
>>32380112
I still have the original cartridge. I'm going to get it and see if the sprites have changed in it.

If the sprites have changed then I jumped dimensions or something. Otherwise I have a (very rare?) modded cart.
>>
i can't tell the trolls from the retards
i can't tell the falseflagging samefags from the actual repliers
i can't tell one dimension from the next

what's reality? what's shitposting? i don't fucking know anymore.
i think i need a lie down.
>>
>>32379770
You are mixing Pichu with Pikachu
>>
>>32380129
You should've do it a long time ago, take pictures of the sprites AND dialogue, so we confirm what kind of shit is this.
>>
>>32380112
It's much more likely that he's a fucking moron who is misremembering things since he probably played Gold/Silver more.
>>
>>32380201
No I'm not.
Everyone I know thinks i'm crazy, on a weekly basis I will recall something one way, only to find that it was a completely different thing all together even though I swear to god it was what it was.
One thing for example:
I live in Australia, I swear that we had Burger King here in Australia, instead of it's Australian equivalent "Hungry Jacks" when I was younger. But upon researching it, it never was?
And the song somebody I used to know by goyte, I swear i remember hearing as child (back in early 2000s, not in 2011 when it was released.) and the video gives me a huge sense of deja vu. I could swear it was released in the 80's.
I remember playing the 2004 - 2007 version of runescape, so not classic. IN 2002!
I also vividly remember playing a sort of adventure game with Mc Donalds character that was given out on a CD around 2000.
I distinctly remember the pokemon song "Double Trouble" being called "Team Rocket's Rocket." No joke
And I am absolutely sure on these, like 100%
>>
>>32380244
If you are 100% sure, then it's your brain convincing you otherwise.
>>
First generation Pokemon games now have always had duel types even though dual types was originally introduced in the second generation.
>>
>>
>>32380244
False memories is an actual phenomena. Literally ALL of your memories gets distorted in one way or another, be it colours, details or the time you think it happened. Sometimes the brain forgets a memory altogether and tries to recreate it, and it becomes different from what actually happened. And sometimes the brain is just a fucking idiot, and make up false memories for no reason at all (such as me clearly remembering catching a Shiny Ditto when I was a kid, despite that never actually having happened). Fucking suck it up and deal with it. Literally every human on the planet has to deal with it.

Do some Google researching if you don't believe me. Literally just search "false memories".
>>
>>32380347
WOW! Nice attempt at belittling a valued member of this community. Everyone whom I try to open up with about this simply shouts me down. Your rationalé, this boards', hell, this entire dimension's irrationality and lack of logic baffles me. When/where I came from, people were a lot more open-minded.
Furthermore: how can everyone who LOVED pokemon be wrong with misremembering something that never happened on this dimension/universe? The most logical explanation, due to the fact mass hypnosis has never happened on a scale this grand, is that some people have jumped dimensions. Look around online. There are a large number of people who are experiencing things like this.
/vp/s general attitude to anyone who tries to speak about it is not just disheartening, but sickening.
The problems you describe may be true for you, but they definitely are NOT for most people.
>>
>>32380384
Or you're just a fucking moron.
>>
>>32380384
ok ok we are sorry. It just doesn't make sense for things to be different for someone else. You have no proof that anyone "jumped dimensions" sorry.
>>
OP here. Machop now has a tail even though in the original dimension/universe he did not.
>>
>>32380384
Tin is not that expensive, but please stop using it to cover your head.
>>
File: Dialga-Palkia-Giratina.png (2MB, 1280x889px) Image search: [Google]
Dialga-Palkia-Giratina.png
2MB, 1280x889px
>>32380384
So what is it like in your dimension?
>>
>>32380244
FYI it started off as Hungry Jacks, however Burger King Corp began to open their own 'Burger King' in '97 alongside Hungry Jacks, so yes we did have both for a period of time (was only in certain states however, which may explain why some people have no idea what you're talking about).

Beginning 2002 the 81 'Burger King' stores were rebranded as 'Hungry Jacks' and none have existed as this brand since.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s

I'll see if I can find my copy of Red to see if it matches your claim.
>>
>>32380392
>Or you're just a fucking moron.
>>32380425
>Tin is not that expensive, but please stop using it to cover your head.
WOW! /vp/ you are obviously attempting to enrage me. Having this kind of attitude towards somebody who is trying to discuss a legitimate topic is despicable. How would you like it if the same thing happened to you? Where you tried to talk about something and everyone just took you as a joke. What I am talking about actually happened, I really experienced it. Not just mis-remembered something.
YOU are the joke. Pokemon is now beyond redeemable. There are over 700 pokemon. Every 3rd booster pack contains a rare shiny. Every version of the game now has large amounts of sexual innuendo. They are coming out with new cartridges every other month. The franchise is now a pathetic spectacle. The only good idea they had recently was pokemon go and they didn't even implement that very well.

Enjoy your shitty game.

>>32380444
It was almost exactly the same but some words seem to be spelt differently and a few changes, like most people have noticed. Also I noticed a large number of changes to the Bible in this universe.
>>
>>32380412
Machop always had a tail. It's a lizard wrestler.
>>
>>
>>32380473
I'm sorry, but that can't happen, not even the app market is that stupid. As for the rest, there are already more than that amount of pokemon and a lot of people would have no problem with sexuality.
>>
>>32380473
3/10 Entertaining but too obvious.

Apply yourself.
>>
>>32380503
>sexual innuendo
>e for everyone
>acceptable
Yeah... no.
>>
>>32380527
Go back to your crib.
>>
>>32380527
>Kirby is rated E for Everyone
>one of the final bosses is a giant flying eyeball

:^)
>>
>>32380460

Update, pulled out my copy of Red and it the sprites are the top ones for all 3 starters in your image OP - I tested the cartridge in a Gameboy and Gameboy Color for good measure.

I'm guessing you no longer have your original cartridges to check?
>>
I distinctly remember a poketuber from like ages ago saying blastoise looked dumb in (red or blue, not sure) compared to the opposite version's (not green, it was red and blue, I remember that) sprite because he looked like a fat gangster.
>>
>>
>>32380651
???
>>
>>32380544
Sexual innuendo is way more damaging than gore/violence.
>>
>>32380669
I'm guessing it's the hyphen that makes it somewhat relevant
>>
File: 29bpjk.jpg.png (145KB, 454x340px) Image search: [Google]
29bpjk.jpg.png
145KB, 454x340px
>>32380673
>>
>>32380685
Pokemon is now cancer-tier.
>>
Duuuude wttttfffff I was trying to find my bro Tentaquil, as it carried me in my game of Blue (which btw was in hd color) but google tells me its just a meme

Also hitler won but apperantly he didnt????

Fucking mandela return me to my dimension at once!!
>>
>>32380037
Was their uncle Miyamoto?
>>
>>32379977
>Zapados
Now I know you're bullshitting
>>
>>32377260
Inb4 this /x/tard tries to convince us of the Samuel L Jackson Effect meme
>>
Stop having brain problems
>>
>>32377260
>>32377274
>>32377299
There were a pirated versions of gen 1 games that used the translated text from the US releases but had sprites from the jp Red and Green games.

I remember seeing them for sale at more questionable shops, which in SE Asia was pretty much 98% of them.
>>
>>32377391
i thought that red/blue had different sprites for awhile, its either mandella effect, or you're just confused with Red+Blue/yellow, or gold/silver having different sprites.
>>
I had the both red and blue as a child, the sprites were the same. Op is a retard and so are all of you mandela effect zombies.
>>
>>32377594
This OP. Or its just the Mandela Effect, google it if you dont know what I am talking about
>>
>>32382212
Do you have any other mandella effects? I don't see this observation noted anywhere, could be a new discovery.
>>
>>32382227
>Or its just the Mandela Effect, google it if you dont know what I am talking about

Op knows, he's been forcing that shit all thread long.
>>
OP is an idiot. He even talks like an one too.
>>
File: 85326140.jpg (448KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
85326140.jpg
448KB, 1024x682px
>>32382254
I pray to god that this is an ironic shitpost.
>>
The sprites weren't different.
>>
File: 71q444jITmL._SY679_.jpg (32KB, 218x679px) Image search: [Google]
71q444jITmL._SY679_.jpg
32KB, 218x679px
>>
>>32382285
Its not. OP literally talks like a simpleton in his post.
>>
>>32382227
>google my cancerous meme that retards spew
kys
>>
>>32382227
Of course OP knows about it, he made the same thread on /x/.
>>
>>32379770
Only the Cosplay Pikachu has black on the end of its tail. You're thinking of that.
>>
OP must be very bored.
>>
File: Mandela-superJumbo.jpg (160KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Mandela-superJumbo.jpg
160KB, 2048x1365px
>>
Op is full of shit but I have to admit, I remember the charmander from green version too
>>
>>32377359
>>32377299
>>32377274
>>32377260
The only one of these I don't unironically remember is the Bulbasaur, the others I feel like I've actually seen before. But I also play ROM hacks often, so that might be why.
>>
I'm not going to bother reading the rest of this thread, but you faggots realize that the gameboy color had a color pack for Red and Blue that made all of the sprites red or blue, right? Did no one besides OP ever play R/B/Y on a gameboy color?
>>
>>32384106
You should read OP's post then.
that's not what OP is talking about.
>>
>>32384106
>color pack
What? The GBC's bootstrap ROM basically assigns specific color palettes to the games Nintendo decided to hardcode colors for.
>>
>>32380070
fuck off obvious troll do something productive
>inb4 you are the one wasting your time by replying to me
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.