[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do they have any reason to exist? Does anyone even like them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

Do they have any reason to exist? Does anyone even like them? Their designs are shit and Fearow sucks compared to Pidgeot. Would the series be different in any way if they were never made?
>>
>>32365296
Ash would've been attacked by a flock of Pidgey, that's it.

Fuck Spearow and Fearow, ugly Pokemon. Ugly shinies too.
>>
Why were they created? Did GF think "hey, we need another trash bird for the start of the game"?
>>
Pokemon, at its core, is an RPG.
If you start out fighting dragons and mewtwos, you do not get that sense of progression.
Thus, this pokemon, the weedle line and rattata line exist among others.
Not every pokemon needs to be good just like every enemy in an rpg doesn't need to be good.
That is one nice nuance that RBY had, it was a game and not an entity where they had to focus on making every character sell.
Its interesting when you think of pokemon like that, I.E. Onix is just the first boss.
>>
>>32365296
>>32365310
>thinking these designs are ugly
Feel free to off yourselves any time.
>>
>>32365371
But unlike Weedle, Caterpie and Rattata, Spearow (and especially Fearow) is ugly as sin and are weaker than their counterparts. Butterfree, Beedrill and Pidgeot are all really decent to have on your team up to the Elite Four, but Fearow is shit and cannot be salvaged.
>>
>>32365296
Lots of gen 1 mons got megas
Only gen 1 mons got regional forms
Fearow line gets none
>>
>>32365371
They could at least have made Spearow a counterpart to Pidgey, giving it 2 evolutions instead of just 1 and let the final stage have the same BST as Pidgeot. That way it would be reasonable for it to exist, but as it stands now, they're fucking nothing compared to the Pidgey line. Plus Fearow's design is disgusting.
>>
File: fearow.gif (70KB, 148x135px) Image search: [Google]
fearow.gif
70KB, 148x135px
>>32365384
>Thinking this looks good
Contrarian shitpost or genuine shittiest taste on the board.
>>
I like both of them. Great designs
>>
>>32365432
You seem to be mad about birds today, anon.
>>
File: shit starters.png (111KB, 547x365px) Image search: [Google]
shit starters.png
111KB, 547x365px
Do they have any reason to exist? Does anyone even like them? Their designs are shit and Incineroar and Primarina suck compared to Decidueye. Would the series be different in any way if they were never made?
>>
Spearow and Fearow are just the evil imps of the Pokemon world.
>>
>>32365296
Fearow is better than Pidgeot in Gen 1
>>
>>32365507
The series would be very different, yes. Sun and Moon would be the first games to only have 1 starter.
>>
>>32365516
>Fearow was superior in Gen 1
>Made inferior to Pidgeot from Gen 2 onwards
>Pidgeot gets BST boosts
>Fearow gets nothing
>Pidgeot gets a Mega Evolution
>Fearow gets nothing
>Even when Spearow and Fearow are literally everywhere in Sun/Moon, they get no boosts whatsoever to give players a reason to catch them
It's like GameFreak hates Fearow.
>>
>>32365317
>>32365296
>>32365310
t. pidgeyfags
>>
Fearow is way better ingame than Pidgeot up to Gen 6.

>in Gen 1, actually starts with Flying STAB
>evolves way earlier
>is faster until Gen 6, stronger too
>gets Drill Peck
>>
Yeah, chiming in to say OP's premise is incorrect.

In RB, it was pretty much Dodrio > Fearow > Pidgeot, so the game was rewarding you for either delaying adding a Normal/Flying to your team, or otherwise incentivising you to swap out the Pidgeotto/Fearow you had at the time, to start over with a Doduo.

By the time you got to FRLG, I think they'd thrown the Pidgey line a lot of bones with its moveset, so that Fearow didn't really have any edge over it, but they were functionally about equal. Now, after the fact, they've gone all in with Mega Pidgeot, which casts Fearow into total irrelevancy, and probably even Dodrio into question as well.
>>
>>32365627
And Dodrio is better than both
>>
>>32365296
The INGAME viability is more or less like this
>Gen 1
Fearow>>>Pidgeot( Fearow is faster, stronger, evolves early and has better moves)
>Gen 2
Fearow>Pidgeot(Drill Peck at lv40 makes Fearow a little worse)
>Gen 3
Pidgeot>Fearow(Pidgeot gets Wing Attack earlier while Fearow has Drill Peck still at lv40)
>Gen 4
Fearow>Pidgeot( Spearow gets Aerial Ace at lv17)
>Gen 5
Both are not available
>Gen 6
Pidgeot>Fearow
>Gen 7
Only Fearow available

If we are talking about Competitive instead Fearow is better than Pidgeot until gen 3. After that Pidgeot gets Brave Bird in gen 4, Hurricane in gen 5 and a speed increase and a Mega in gen 6
>>
>>32365408
>Butterfree, Beedrill and Pidgeot are all really decent to have on your team up to the Elite Four, but Fearow is shit and cannot be salvaged.
>Butterfree and Beedrill (Non mega) being better than Fearow
Nigger please Fearow is trash but Butterfree and Beedril are steaming turds.
>>
>>32365296
All Pokémon exist for reason.
>>
>>32365296
in a team only 6, if all the monsters you like would be difficult to choose
>>
>>32365296
>Their designs are shit
Fuck off, vulture-chicken-heron is rad as fuck.
>>
I like spearow but fearow is pretty ugly. This was a perfect candidate for an alola form as it didn't get a mega, it's gen one, and it's severely outclassed by power creep and its own generation, but it got nothing. I hope it gets some attention one day.

On the other hand I'm sort of glad it didn't get an Alolan form because we all know they would have made this thing part dark like all the others.
>>
>>32365517
Naw, you have Yellow
>>
>>32365990
And Gale of Darkness I think.
>>
I liked it in the TFS Nuzlocke
>>
File: kakirage.jpg (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kakirage.jpg
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>32365296
Fuuuuck you, I love them!
>>
>>32365652
this Dodrio is best bird
>>
>>32365296
Spearow looks fine, Fearow is the uggliest
>>
>>32365296
Assumedly to add weak enemy variety in the original RPGs so that you'd have easy enemies that weren't all one kind of bird (Pidgey).
Apparently some do.
Not particularly.
>>
>>32365652
>>32366170
muh niggas
>>
>>32365652

True, but it takes a while to appear in most games except XY where it's quite early, while Fearow is ironically Victory Road exclusive.
>>
>>32365652
This. I always picked up a spearow early game and dropped it the second doduo showed up.
>>
>>32365296
Go outside, how many types birds do you see? More than one? That's why there was Spearow. They were trying to make a world full of animals. It'd be weird if every bird was a Pidgey.
>>
>>32365296
>Fearow sucks compared to Pidgeot
It's objectively better ingame. You can't even get mega pidgeot in story mode.
>>
>>32365296
Saying Fearow looks like shit is also basically saying Ho oh looks like shit too.
>>
>pokemon that aren't garchomp or gardevoir exist
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>32367121
thank god
>>
>>32365416
Fearow is busy guarding ev reset berries from a nearby tree
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.