[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 78

File: 549.png (31KB, 197x296px) Image search: [Google]
549.png
31KB, 197x296px
/vpwt/: Top Lil edition

>Post your finds and ideas for prompts.
>Share your work and request critique.
>Discuss the struggle as a reader or writer.
IRC channel at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ].

Previous: >>32197388

Fic catalogue:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

Authors and anons looking for things to write may search our ideabin for something appealing.
Feel free to add prompts that you'd like others to consider.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

FAQ:
>How do I post fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.

>NSFW fics?
Indicate "NSFW" beside the link.

>May I add my fic to the catalogue?
You're free to do so. Please use the submission form found inside the catalog.

>What's with the tripfags?
Authors are encouraged to use a name/trip while posting or discussing their work for clarity's sake.

TotT: What is the hardest thing about writing to you?
>>
File: noice (2).png (147KB, 372x371px) Image search: [Google]
noice (2).png
147KB, 372x371px
>What is the hardest thing about writing to you?

Not making everyone have a happy ending all the time.

I'm a bit of an optimist at heart and it influences how my characters turn out, sometimes.

Also, top choice on thread image. Recently got a shiny one and damn is it great. Cleared 80 tree wins with it Tentacruel and Sableye. liligant is surprisingly hard hitting with petal dance.
>>
>>32344467
Still too lazy to make summaries for recaps so here are some links to previous fics until someone makes one.
>>32208534
>>32231457
>>32247080
>>32263797
>>32265172
>>32284727
>>32299298
>>
Generally speaking I'd say the editing process is most challenging. There's always a couple of errors that will go unnoticed even after careful review and that causes an insecurity for a perfectionist.

What's tough about writing for Pokemon is the tremendous variety available to work with. The lore, all types of moves, and of course the Pokemon themselves. It's similar going to a buffet and not having enough room for everything on your plate. Some of it has to be skipped or saved for another story. Staying focused on a particular individual or species while maintaining a diverse world is a balancing act to master.
>>
File: frillish_by_xchima_d6e1vrd.png (471KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
frillish_by_xchima_d6e1vrd.png
471KB, 900x506px
Holding/anchoring onto hope that anon delivers in some cutesy female frillish stuff
>>
File: 1492314239148.png (533KB, 856x482px) Image search: [Google]
1492314239148.png
533KB, 856x482px
I've come across with an interesting problem while writing.

How would an adult go about getting Z-Crystals?

If I understand correctly, the trials and battles against the Island Kahunas are really for kids doing their first pokemon journey, so how would an adult go about legitimately getting Z-Crystals?
>>
>>32346256
They could find it in their travels, unofficially (or unawaringly) taking on things like kahuna mons without knowing the context of the challenge

I.e:. Oooh, shiny thing in statue!
Trying to take it causes a kahuna battle where they either fight or try to escape.
>>
>>32346317
This also brings up the dumb question: How does one fail the trials?

I know alot of team skull were kids who essentially failed, but did they just give up or was it a "you only got one shot at beating this totem pokemon and you failed" situation?
>>
>>32346538
Seems more like they gave up than they did fail and can't try again. Those grunts do have self esteem issues, so I'd imagine failing a trial enough will just burn them out and not bother trying again
>>
File: 16.png (2MB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
16.png
2MB, 1280x1440px
I'M BACK, BITCHES! AND I GOT A CHAPTER DONE!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RHZNPytJ7EnYPwYX25hIBBQvzl0NTsTIuDKA5uA7N6A/edit?usp=sharing

Or at least, like, y'know... a first draft? I'm not sure if I could call it that, because I've edited it constantly while I was writing it. And it is technically finished as a full readable chapter. But I didn't actually finish it as a full chapter until the tail end of the last thread. But there were a few more scenes I kinda wanted to write, but didn't actually get around to.

I probably COULD post this as the first chapter, but I want to get a t least a sizable amount of Johto done before doing that, because I hate the feeling of "oh, man, I gotta keep up and post more!" So I'll probably keep this locked up until I get a sizable amount of Johto/Sinnoh done, and pace it out over time.

Anyways, feel free to read it and tell me what you think. I'd greatly appreciate it.

>TotT: What is the hardest thing about writing to you?

Actually sitting down and writing it. Once I get in the mindset to write, I can just have the creative juices flow until the well's dried up. But actually getting to that point is hard.
>>
>>32344467
The beginning of any story is hard to write. Keeping things interesting while introducing the characters, but not going overboard is not easy for me. Getting people to care about initially is the hardest thing.

One thing I've been having trouble writing lately are one shots. Quick, simple, short stories. The thing is, I end up putting in too much unnecessary details that no one but I care about, making the story just too big, and if I take out those details, I become unsatisfied with it. It's just annoying, really. I have fun turning any little idea I have into a short story, but once I get down to it, they become too big and the idea I originally had just gets lost in there somewhere. I don't expect anyone to understand this type of autism, but it is hard to deal with.
>>
File: 1483984646214.png (156KB, 450x446px) Image search: [Google]
1483984646214.png
156KB, 450x446px
>>32346812
Damn nigga you actually are alive. Glad you didn't give up. I'll give this a read after work.
>>
>ToTT
Putting your heart into something and the writing ending up worse than that of your previous fics. Then wasting like a year of my life on that single piece while the others took maybe two or three weeks.

Editing a broken chapter hurts bad, getting stuck in a rut with bad plot or characters hurts, and not honoring the content to its fullest hurts, too. But god damn Ears and Scent were good.
>>
>>32344467
>>32344467
The writing part.
>>
>>32347463
You know Mimiga there comes a time where you can just cut and run if a body of work begins to replace your actual body, which sounds like the case here.

Incidentally, I think you passed that marker a few threads back, but you can still get off and take a breather.
>>
>>32344467
The part where you actually put words down.
>>
>>32344467
Nothing about writing is hard
>>
>>32348703
I am three chapters from finishing this thing on paper, and probably over two hundred thousand words in. I possess a willpower far beyond that of an average mortal, and a waifu made in the blood, sweat, and ink of at least five or six erasable pens. This thing will be my Melancholy of the Fox whether I want it to be or not, because I know there are at least probably two people that want to see it done.
>>
File: 20000.gif (284KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
20000.gif
284KB, 500x800px
>>32349480
You little fuck.
>>
Are there any fics or Nuzlockes out there with a well-written and engaging conflict?
>>
>>32346823
Hope you enjoy it when you actually do get around to reading it.

>>32349480
I really want to punch you
>>
Are there any fics out there that have a believable romance?
>>
>>32349827
>>32349788
Hope into one hand, shit into the other, fuckface(s).
>>
>>32349827
A pokemon fic about awkward questions in resteraunts, mistaken impressions and slips-of-tongue, debates on taste during movie nights, and figuring out who foots the bill? and never letting that get in the way of loving the shit out of each other?
>>
>>32349850
It's furshit, isn't it?
>>
>>32349850
Either that or a slow friendship turning into more after a journey because I'll be honest, straight-up romance is boring to me if it doesn't have anything else in it.
>>
>>32349857
I don't know, I haven't written one. I was jsut clarifying; as long as 'believable' means 'realistic', you'd have to do soem serious searching to find one in fiction in general, let alone pokemon fanfic. Most chart an oversimplified course concluding in "Gets the guy/girl," which being inaccurate even to those ends, rarely if ever portrays that a relationship is merely kindled there, and the true romance is its continuation.
>>
File: 1458522342033.png (96KB, 300x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458522342033.png
96KB, 300x1200px
>>32349850
The curious thing about romance to me, is after writing so bloody much of it I no longer really feel the urge to write "people falling into love" and find it more interesting to write "people in love and the dynamics within the resultant relationship." I find this to be a bit more believable because whereas most romance ends shortly after the couple is a couple proper, writing people in a relationship means you get to see how they work through things, and that has become more interesting to me at this point.

Not that I won't read romance or anything, I'll still totally do that because I'm a tremendous fag.
>>
>>32350255
which script-kiddie got buttmad this time?
>>
>>32350366
Fuck if I know my dude
>>
>>32350366
someone probably called pheromosa a 'he' again and triggered an autist
>>
File: psychochickenchan_notears.png (197KB, 665x393px) Image search: [Google]
psychochickenchan_notears.png
197KB, 665x393px
>>
>>32349909
Well yeah, it is one thing to fall in love and achieve a relationship, but it is another challenge to maintain it and face the issues it brings. Both are pretty fun to work with, but the latter is usually the most creative since very weird things can occur.
>>
>>32349909
>>32352081
You're trying to switch over from chick flick to family sitcom
>>
>>32346724
I can imagine an adult trying out the trial after years of not bothering progressing because of bullshit distractions
>>
>>32352212
It's what the advertisers want.
>>
File: Chansey_reads_fiction.gif (983KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
Chansey_reads_fiction.gif
983KB, 500x377px
So how much wordage do you typically write in a chapter for a fiction you're presently working on? Does the initial amount of text drafted differ from the final publication?

My drafts are huge (30k and up), once I whittle them down with revisions they are still anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand words. The conclusion I'm working on has been taking me forever to edit because of how much I initially wrote out in order to tie up loose ends. I don't have that problem when I'm writing something new, because there's no massive underlying plot to worry about yet. Should have something to post soonâ„¢.
>>
>>32352830
5k to 15k. Mostly my revisions are tiny tweaks so unless a scene is lame and gets cut or an idea strikes that adds a scene during proof reading, the word count doesn't change much.

And then there's the shit I'm working on now, which keeps growing like a backstory tumor.
>>
>>32352969
The best kind of tumor.

Or second best. Maybe. Unsure.
>>
>>32352969
>Your condition
Not a doctor, but you might want to get that looked at.

In all seriousness, writing a character's backstory is challenging lest it meander into a glorified instruction manual for the reader. I've struggled with that, and have found by shifting gears through telling stories within the story, specifically by use of dialogue prompting memories of the past, or thought processes concerning present events, helps validate the great level of detail I'm all too fond of concerning introductions.
>>
>>32353212
Currently, the problem is part my ambition, part my laziness.

The idea was to open on a Canon Regions trainer going to Ocimene. Waterlogged had the IRL→Pokemon World culture shock; now that Ocimene is (in my opinion proven incorrect by That One Anon and Vry) well-defined, I wanted to show some Canon→Ocimene contrast: A typical journey-a-lot, "How do you relate to your POKéMON?" trainer stumbles into a before-page-one excuse to be dunked head-first into my years-long fever dream (with the usual mix of spunky side characters, cameos, and apparently agenda pushing). And then, immediately after I decide on doggo+snek as the protagonists' starters, doggo+snek becomes a meme/trope of some sort and I shrug my shoulders off.

I'd long wanted to keep my writing quarantined in my AU, and aside from a few IRL wash-ashores (like Magnus and Walter) and very rare glimpses, like Hague being dismissed to Johto, I'd almost made an honest effort. But shooting this one, opening in the customs line sucked and I realized that to make the canon/Ocimene contrast work, I needed to spend at least a little time in… Johto since that is the canon region I've touched before. So the starting point pushed back to MC's entry to Johto from Kanto. And then the "aw shit": I must write interesting walking from NBT to someplace with enough shoreline to write in a port. (Goldenrod, good enough, Olivine's too far off.)

Ambition, check. Laziness: I drafted MC's route through the Sudowoodo path because it'd be less writing. But it didn't feel right and I let MC go south and now the Ruins of Alph bullshit that I mentioned in Can't Escape and LL is back and MC picks up a few pokemon ruining the 2×2 protags/starters doubles thing I'd envisioned, and I can't not write mareep-line, and I had to cut Gil+Junior's scene which was kinda relevant to doggo magic, and people will only read it because drunk-girls-sharing-beds teasing, and one of the gimmicks is probably too obvious…

Suffering.
>>
>>32352754
As a marketer, can confirm. :^)

>>32352830
Between 4k and 10k. Editing doesn't reduce for me, it inflates. My approach to writing often makes for rather spartan descriptions in places where a bit more flair wouldn't go amiss, so I have to run the work through my editor to ensure I'm not unconsciously falling for "faceless characters floating in nondescript space" syndrome. This usually means a work gains about a thousand words after edits, sometimes two.
>>
>>32352830

My drafts always vary in size but I generally, in the end, have 5-7k left over from revisions.

Current draft of the DS chapter 5 is currently at 11k for comparison. Now for the week and a half of revising that down to something legible.
>>
>>32352830
My drafts used to be somewhere in between 2-8,000 words, but recently, my drafts have upped to around 20,000 words. This is thanks to me both thinking in context to a show, with each chapter getting what I want in a chapter done, even if it over bloats it, and thanks oy me trying to make everything as meaty as possible. A sort of problem I think I have is that I try too much to show off whatever I can in hopes that it'll fix up my bland writing style.
>>
Requesting a story about a trainer learning that his Tsareena has feelings for him despite her haughty, arrogant attitude towards him, and he uses those feelings to his advantage as means of payback.

Examples: him suddenly bringing up that he's in a relationship with someone (not, but she believes) and indulges a bit in detail.
Him using her words against her that means (why do you care, you're better, right?)
Ignoring her.
Pampering other mons.

Y'know, things that make her jealous/ashamed of what she did, until she fears that she will lose him (or he will outright abandon her) and declares her love or takes more lewd desperate measures, leading to fug before he can reveal the truth. Of course, whether he reveals the truth afterwards or not is up to you.
>>
File: again.jpg (16KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
again.jpg
16KB, 300x224px
>>32353973
>Tsareena
>>
>>32344467
>TOTT
I think the hardest part of writing for me is getting started, closely followed by making myself continue. Building up momentum like that can be challenging.
And even when I've overcome that inertia, I don't feel confident in my ability to pull off certain things in writing, like conveying emotion convincingly or creating balanced and well-rounded characters, to name two examples. But I feel like getting started and staying motivated in the first place remains the biggest challenge for me.

>>32352830
I try for no more than 10k words, but I'll change that if the plot demands it. 10k isn't a hard limit for me, it's just a vague ballpark of sorts.
As for whether the length changes over time: it usually does, but not by much. I pretty much never make sweeping revisions that cut out or add in thousands of words.
>>
>>32344467
"TotT: What is the hardest thing about writing to you?"

Writing that initial draft. I think some part of me wants the emotional satisfaction of putting my ideas on paper without putting the effort in to actually go through the process of doing so. It doesn't help that I'm basically dedicating 13-15 hours a day to this job I'm in and trying to motivate myself to concentrate on any mental activities outside of work has proven difficult.

Editing I find significantly easier because it's honestly a lot less work than writing something from scratch, and I've done it so much and with so many writers that I have an easy time spotting common errors and potential improvements.
>>
File: Untitled.png (26KB, 795x446px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
26KB, 795x446px
>>32344467
Getting my butt tied to the chair and damn writing. Once it starts rolling, though, it's a comfy ride until I have to go to the bathroom or something like that, then it's back to square one

>>32349788
define "well-written and engaging conflict". I've got some nuzlocke work, but won't recommend it unless you're fluent in portuguese

>>32352830
pic related. Started drafting at Ch.20, when things started going awkward in terms of sizing, even though i'm on the same boat as >>32353548 on getting word count inflation at editing time

Well, here goes nothing on translating my last piece of crap into english, for sharing with you guys.
Sadly, the ending phrase had to be completely reworded, losing the wordplay I had on it
https://pastebin.com/xqnTfP2T (SFW)
>>
____
>>
>>32348749
This
>>
Noon
>>
>>32344467
>what is the hardest thing about writing to you?
Actually starting to write, and the beginning of it. I can write "middle" part of it just fine most of the time.
>>
>>32356546
>charts
Reminds me of the time I ran a stats analysis on my scene lengths.
>dat 8550 outlier making everything else squished against the left side.
>>
>>32360250
>outlier chart
Do you have a copy of that?

>ToTT
>>32346812
>>32347724
>>32348749
>>32355618
>>32356546
>>32359994
#relatable. I mean, obvious answer is obvious. :c
>>
File: 1246175197537.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1246175197537.png
6KB, 300x300px
Here's chapter 11 of [The Dark Type], "Greater Things": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/23634723

I may also put up a smaller chapter this week as well.
>>
File: llsbplln.png (5KB, 601x456px) Image search: [Google]
llsbplln.png
5KB, 601x456px
>>32360379
I have the data and I have Gnumeric.
Above is scene length in words; Below is on a log scale, which makes the graph look much closer to that of a normal variance, but makes my scene cutting no less frenetic. At least then only the longest scene and the one-line narrator beats are indicated at outliers, which they surely truly are.
>>
>>32361322
>Gnumeric
Mah boy

>dat scene
>truly an outlier
wth were you doing? Was it something that ended up really good, really bad, both?
>>
>>32361663
It's Carlos's return to the mainland after completing a little Fed-Ex quest in LL20, which doesn't switch away from him as the POV character for 8,550 of the chapter's 13,200 words.

I don't think it's "really bad" because I would've written something else in its stead if I judged it so, but I'll leave any "really good" attributions to my readers to (or, not to) make. Anyway, since I'm statistically shown to be too ADHD to stay with a shot for over 1,000 words more than 25% of the time, sticking a chase cam on one character for about 24-hours straight without peeking at any side-plots is curiously irregular.
>>
File: 1382343549000.png (457KB, 805x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1382343549000.png
457KB, 805x1001px
>>
Y'know, I probably should change my handle to my actual account name on FF, because no one's going to actually find me anywhere under the name, ZinniaWriter. Going by Zappuel Lightnin'Rod from here on out. Unless I'm dumb and forget.

I'm also currently debating in my head whether or not I should just outright post the chapter online. I want to do it and I want to stay committed, but I also don't want to be hogged down if my interests veer away from what I'm currently writing. That's happened to me twice over, I still have two stories I need to finish and I have little to no motivation to do so.
>>
>>32364846
You're hoping to substitute the "omg upd8 wen?" chants of your followers in to replace the absent self-motivation that you've lost. Perhaps that will work for you, but I think you'd be better served by editing down and buttoning up the two scraps into shorts and getting them done and off, if possible. No matter your veering interests, if there's a good story within them, you should be able to make a respectable treatment of them, even if the cups of tea aren't your (currently) preferred flavors, and if you can't manage, then they were probably fetish indulgences and should be cast to the hogs like the lemon rinds they are.

You won't feel satisfied, but you probably will feel relieved, to get these things off of your back burners.
>>
File: hero_0.png (119KB, 434x551px) Image search: [Google]
hero_0.png
119KB, 434x551px
>>
File: 1429667167765.png (140KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
1429667167765.png
140KB, 600x608px
>>
Looks like i'm late
>TotT: Hardest part about writing?
I'd say keeping a "schedule." Of course you gotta take your time with your writing, but i often times feel like shit when i finally release my stuff after a 3 month hiatus. It really makes me feel like i look like an afk sperg, but that's the price i pay for focusing on one story at a time.
>>
>>32365638
I really should just buckle down and finish at least the one that has very little to go, especially because I feel like that story deserves it for what it's given me. If it weren't for that story, I wouldn't have met two very close friends of mine, that have helped me through a lot. It's only gotten one chapter to go, so I feel like it deserves it. Even if I kinda view it as dumb now.

The other story will most likely have inspiration in the future due to actual source material finally coming out to rekindle that dormant flame. That's mainly the issue on that one.
>>
>>32368368

I released a chapter recently after a 6 1/2 year gap. Trust me, people will understand.
>>
File: 1484135465401.jpg (35KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
1484135465401.jpg
35KB, 411x411px
>>32371206
>6 1/2 year gap

Lucifer himself is working on a whole new circle of hell, just for you people.

I get, it, life happens. But six years? Christ. Couldn't find an hour or two every week? Month?
>>
>>32371334

I mostly just gave up on the story completely. I started going back to school again, and just kinda left it to the wayside. There were some things building up in the story I wasn't the biggest fan of, and frankly I knew it was gonna take a few hundred thousand more words to finish. Finally, I just kinda stopped being interested in Pokemon for a while to be blunt.

Recently I've had a few weeks off, so I decided to pick it up again. I never intended to quit, but at some point I'm not gonna force myself.
>>
>>32371206
most likely i am trapped here forever so i don't have to worry about that. But i am learning how to make musical shits alongside my worded ones.
>>
Night boop
>>
>>32371334
You talk as if six years were a lot.
/me glances at the set-aside pre-Pokemon stuff I once was writing.
>>
File: 1488005788799.jpg (93KB, 920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488005788799.jpg
93KB, 920x1024px
>>32373973
>/me glances
back to tumblr with you
>>
File: Steenee.png (159KB, 1087x798px) Image search: [Google]
Steenee.png
159KB, 1087x798px
Requesting pic related to be made true into a story
>>
KAG
>>
After being unbanned. And a friend pf mine name's acronym is the first thing I write.
>>
>>32375710
Nigga what the FUCK are you talking about?
>>
That I can't post any more intelligent that an acronym of my friends name. PD: Someone has ever played Out There.
>>
>>32376218
>>32375710
>>32375701
Dude for fucks sake no one cares about your random ads cryptic updates. Reply to people properly and contribute to the thread, not whatever this fuck this shit is.

On topic: what is a premise you've cooked up that you don't think you have the chops to tackle? Why?
>>
>>32376283
>what premise you've cooked up that you can't tackle
responding to the spammer
>>
File: out-there-omega-edition.jpg (325KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
out-there-omega-edition.jpg
325KB, 1280x720px
This is Out There
>>
>>32367056
Malva blackmailing when?
>>
>>32344467
I find it simply to finally start it and not get distracted while doing so. I get distracted by the littlest of things, but once I finally can write, I have a constant flow usually for hours.

Besides that, been a few months, did another NSFW Lewd greentext

This time about Deerling
https://pastebin.com/REY54Xwq
It's not great, but it's something.
>>
File: somewhat related.png (96KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
somewhat related.png
96KB, 500x484px
>>32344467

Usually it's just the process of getting things started and made concrete from a starting abstraction. Having another person to bounce ideas off of or take suggestions from is massively helpful for getting around that.

Speaking of getting things rolling, I'm back with a new update:

FFN

>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11084689/51/Fledglings

AO3

>http://archiveofourown.org/works/3465593/chapters/23691882

The shortest the chapter's been in a long while, but I still felt there was a good amount going on in it. Hope you all enjoy it.
>>
Morning bump
>>
File: IMG_0375.jpg (830KB, 1280x1665px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0375.jpg
830KB, 1280x1665px
Someone recommend me some good vanilla fics

No Pokephilia please
>>
>>32380284
http://archiveofourown.org/works/8784718
A self insert story following a team skull female wanting to come Guzma
>>
Boop
>>
What personality do you guys give the Player Characters if you write about them? Are they just generic nice guys or do you give them a deeper personality?
>>
>>32384254
I make them up as the story is written mostly. They usually adapt to whoever they interact with
>>
>>32384254
While I haven't written much for the player characters, I think I would go the Ed, Edd, 'N' Eddy route where their personalities are based off of facets of my own. Sun would probably be my adventurous side, giving very little caution to anything, Hilbert would probably be my more composed philosopher side, Gold would be my dumb ol' self, etc.

With Brendan in my story, I think I tried to capture my inner child, doing dumb shit, but for a specific reason in a childish set of logic. He has an alien movie marathon with Deoxys to gauge what other alien species in the universe would look like if they do exist. So he'd show him, like, Predator and Alien to see if there are any Predators or Xenomorphs in the universe. I'm not sure if I captured it right, though. I feel like I made him too.. soft spoken? If that's the term I'm looking for? When Steven asked him if he could trust Zinnia, Brendan gave him the whole "I looked into her eyes and trusted her." Which might work, but I'm unsure, because I can't really gauge it, because I'm unsure if I would have trusted her as a kid by just looking into her eyes, even in a fantastical realm. I know that kids are smarter then a lot of media portrays them as, kids can have detailed opinions on things they don't even know the full story about, but I'm unsure if that's a reason that would fly with a twelve year old.
>>
>>32384254

Mostly I try to go by the personalities shown in the Pokemon Special manga. Well, Red is kinda that in my story with a little bit of Ash. Basically he's a generic nice guy for the most part, but then again he is 11.

If I add any more PC character I'll probably just go with the same approach. Try to go by an established personality if possible and make it up if I can't find one.

This isn't what I always do obviously, take Sabrina for example. In the Pokemon Special manga she's a bad guy at first, but then again in almost every single depiction of her in the various forms of media she's got a wildly different personality. Almost the only thing consistent is that she has some psychic powers. So with characters like her I just kind of make up whatever works best for me while trying to keep some aspects of her character that I like. I know Sabrina's not a Player Character but my point is the same. If a character like Gold or whatever was wildly different in multiple depictions I'd just make up something I think would work while at least being partially faithful.
>>
>>32345163
Well shit. He's gone.
>>
I'm debating whether i should make this thing into two chapters or one big one. It would really make sense to keep it together as a big chapter but the mini manager in me is telling me to split it.
>>
>>32387397
I'd say go for a single with a split in the middle for a little eye breather.
>>
So, I have an idea.

>Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh band together and attack Melemele Island.
>Unova catches wind of this, and the devastation causes the region to go and fight to save Kalos from their occupation from the Orre Region.
>>
File: thatkindofstory.png (73KB, 279x234px) Image search: [Google]
thatkindofstory.png
73KB, 279x234px
>>32390770
>>
>>32390770
What is the relationship of these regions?
>>
File: 1479333284900.jpg (55KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
1479333284900.jpg
55KB, 400x700px
>>32390770
See here's the problem with your idea mate: it has no context. As >>32390918 said, we don't know how these regions relate, why they're doing it, how the first statement impacts the second. Cook up a bit more - what you have is extremely blanket and could have any number of causes and implications.
>>
>>32390770
do they fuck? i bet they'll fuck
>>
>>32390966
>>32390918

The joke is that the four Regions make up PokeJapan, Unova is PokeUSA, and Melemele Island is where PokePearl Harbour is.
>>
>>32391016
>thisgottooreal.jpg
>>
>>32391016
Well fucking played.
>>
File: wobbufet sad.gif (55KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
wobbufet sad.gif
55KB, 248x248px
>Okay this time i'll continue writing
>spend the whole day playing monster hunter with a friend so laggy he teleports everywhere like a bootleg super saiyan

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
>>
>>32390770
Pokemon World War 2.

Pretty sweet idea.
>>
File: unity-2.jpg (344KB, 2458x1624px) Image search: [Google]
unity-2.jpg
344KB, 2458x1624px
>>32391155
At least you can play Monster Hunter. With a super Saiyan to boot.

>>32391016
And now I'm thinking Pokémon WW2 AU tactical survival all-regions open-world meme game.
>>
Up
>>
File: vgjm.png (61KB, 448x370px) Image search: [Google]
vgjm.png
61KB, 448x370px
>>
To be (Banned) or not to be (banned). That's the dilemma
>>
>>32393213
>to be (banned)
that one
>>
Oh, that's bad. So I will better listen this in order to write some good and "not with weird Mythos". LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShopT9QUzw
>>
>>32391016
Oh. Shit.
>>
File: 1304571495129.jpg (178KB, 800x674px) Image search: [Google]
1304571495129.jpg
178KB, 800x674px
>>32319877
Reposting this one more time, just in case anyone missed it and cares.
>>
File: murderer.png (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
murderer.png
91KB, 500x500px
Requesting an amusing story that depicts the tiny rimbombee as the killer bunny, right out of Monty Python.
Ref: https://youtu.be/tgj3nZWtOfA
Feel free to go as crazy as possible
>>
>>32203172
>>32344467
So someone actually delivered on that lilligant request last thread, but the posts got deleted since they didn't get pastebinned. Not the author, but I salvaged it and made it into a pastebin.
SFW
https://pastebin.com/gWcz5pW8
>>
File: 39797314_p0.jpg (180KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
39797314_p0.jpg
180KB, 600x600px
>>32397096
Speaking of waifumons do you guys know any fics about the less popular humanoid looking ones?
>>
>>32397356
If you're referring to Florges specifically, there is still only one NSFW fic about her and it's been in limbo since the guy started uni.
Otherwise any specific mom you had in mind? I can look around and see if they exist
>>
File: 1487718297285.jpg (7KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1487718297285.jpg
7KB, 259x224px
>>32397994
>Otherwise any specific mom

OPs
>>
>>32398075
Here's a fic about lilligant getting NTR'd by Tsareena. NSFW
http://pastebin.com/769zn1tr

To compensate, here's another one with lilligant snuggling with her trainer. Cute, but also NSFW
https://pastebin.com/0Xc7kTrf

There was also a greentext story cap of her but I can't find it.
>>
>>32398604
Oh wow I didn't actually mean liligant.

I think you missed the joke.

But I'm sure I will enjoy reading it anyway. Thanks.
>>
>>32373973
So I've just binged your Gardevoir story over the last day and was wondering if you ever continued it?

I loved all the characters so much, that it's funnily the only problem I had with the story. As long as it was, there wasn't enough time given to most of them...and it left me feeling a want for more. At least a few of them deserve a resolution.

Thanks for reading my blogpost.
>>
>>32399805
Not him, but I do r think love lost was ever continued, since it is kinda finished. Some of his works may make a nod to it from here and there though
>>
File: LL - JoeNel.png (268KB, 588x384px) Image search: [Google]
LL - JoeNel.png
268KB, 588x384px
Love Lost and Ocimene was/is good fun. Currently re-reading all of that that before starting The Dark Type, and seeing all the nods inbetween each story on 2nd viewing is great.
>>
File: 1478210517674.png (138KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
1478210517674.png
138KB, 538x538px
>>32400740
Holy shit, is this actually good fanart?
>>
>>32344467
>hardest part of writing
satisfying myself, it's why i gave up writing fics. i could never make myself happy with what i wrote.
>>
>>32399805
>wondering if you ever continued it?
The pilot chapter I wrote opened much later in the timeline, with Grace [REDACTED] and spending some time helping out Jerome (he has appeared once: He cooked for one of Pierre's shindigs and inadvertently gave Grace's mother, "Sunny," that name.) in his diner. I realized then that the amount of flashback/backstory was onerous and pushed the starting point of the story back a number of years, which is what caused LL to have a three-book structure. What is available is Book 1; the pilot begins Book 3, and I've written about as much (a few thousand words) toward Book 2. I've got a few visions in mind for it, but it hasn't seized me with a need to write it, enough to override my interest in writing other Ocimene stories. (Whenever I manage to find time to work on them, which recently has been only enough for brief one-sitting vignettes, viz. Trick Candle and Drawn Straws; or to try at getting a final and-this-time-I-mean-it,-I-hope edit done on LL as I post it to AO3.)

There's probably hundreds of thousands of words to go, on the big IF that I find interesting material, time, and desire to proceed. My goal was to ensure that Book 1 ended with enough resolution that it didn't need to go further, but could. (Nothing's worse than a deadfic.)

>>32400395
>Some of his works may make a nod to it from here and there
Every Ocimene story either nods or is nodded at; sometimes both.

>>32400785
Given the level of detail and art style, I'd first suspect >>32400740 to be a Pixiv find that coincidentally fits. Either way, it's appearance here is an appreciated treat who's existence defies such tall odds that I feel almost inspired to buy a lottery ticket.

>>32400740
>was/is
Hopefully I can go from WAS to IS, soon-ish. Fortunately, doggo seems to be holding its popularity so I won't seem too far out of date when I get O/C launched. Unfortunately, I'm confident it won't address the complaints I've recently received.
>>
Boop
>>
File: 57d92a12e70ab9cdf36f40c611fdae02.png (909KB, 540x2118px) Image search: [Google]
57d92a12e70ab9cdf36f40c611fdae02.png
909KB, 540x2118px
>>32397994
Well for all the underrated, feminine mons I can think off would be the florges line,mismagius,vespiquen,leavanny,diancie,magearna,mesprit,lurantis,belossom, and the roserade line.

Kind of in a mood for a cute story and usually waifumons have the best ones.
>>
bamp
>>
>>32404079
>Roserade line
Seconding for any story involving roserade
>>
>>32406174
Maybe not any story. The only thing a roserade does in ACPC is get dismembered and disemboweled by a very angry knifecat.
>>
>>32406745
Sheesh. Now I'm going to have to include some gentle Roserade in my next story just to undo this visceral image giving me bad vibes.
>>
>>32406921
Please do. I probably should do the same at some point in another story cos I felt pretty bad for Gourdon after doing that to him.
>>
as a general concept, one idea that i have been turning around in my head for a while i detailing the adventures of a wally type character that is generally considered too weak/ill to become a real trainer. they would have a roselia/gloom as a partner (for aromatherapy) and would make their way around the region attempting to make a name for themselves. I imagined they wouldn't be too hot at battling, but tend to win via strategy (hence also the choice for a grass type with powder moves/leech seed). Also, unrelated, but did anyone read the comic black adventures?
>>
>>32408158
Everyone read black adventures
>>
I'm gonna try and write out a little bit in Ore and Lore. Emphasis on "Try."

>>32408158
>>32409261
What is Black Adventures? I'm guessing something from Unova?
>>
Are there any good leavanny fics? Like NSFW ones, there's like three, and one of them is fart fetish. i kinda wanna see one with her and samurott
>>
>>32410644
a comic series where hilbert (dude from black) never got a starter and instead cheren, bianca and hilda got them. He ends up with an audino and a missingono. that he caught in a dream sequence. he goes back in time to kill hitler, he teams up with N to save all pokemon whilst also getting al the gym badges by engaging in panty and stocking-esqu transformation sequences to fight corrupted pokemon. its lots of fun and to op it off its also a comic not a fic, so you actually get some good visuals when the writer/author puts in some effort.
>>
>>32410758
Not that I know of. From the top of my head there is one made here. I think it was called leavanny on third base
>>
Up
>>
>>32344786
Is no one going to make a recap?
>>
>>32414478
We're counting on you!
>>
>>32411885
Okay, I remember hearing of that.It sounds insane, so I will give it a read later.
>>
>>32353973
This but replace Tsareena with Roserade
>>
File: 34065463_p6.png (182KB, 438x379px) Image search: [Google]
34065463_p6.png
182KB, 438x379px
etc.
>>
Bamp.

>>32356546
There were quite a few clicks on that story but no feedback. Was it that bad?
>>
>>32344467
>Tfw we will never have a Krilia-Gardv nsfw milf fanfiction
Why...
>>
>>32397063
>DOOM: Ribombee edition
A must see. Seconding
>>
How do you handle flashbacks/PoV shifts in your fictions?

I'm really particular about it. Perhaps far too so because it makes my writing predictable. I can't jump scenes or settings without a proper transition sentence or two. Sometimes I'll even spell out "this is a flashback" using prose. Mostly I do this due to the fact that I've read fics where that doesn't happen creating unnecessary confusion. Especially off-putting when there's no divider between the present, past, or PoV shift /rant
>>
Could anyone recommend me any good yuri fanfics? Are there even any?
>>
>>32420687
A divider is quite worthwhile, but "spelling it out" I find to be symptomatic of a narrative structure problem. Preferably, the flashback's scene is different enough that within the first few seconds, it's clearly a different scene with only one (hopefully, vitally important) thing in common with the scene that introduced the flashback's relevance.

I developed my preferences during LL, because it has a lot of flashback/dream/psychic-projection moments that not only change the narration in place, time, and context, but are also designed to convey the experience of the POV character being dragged through a recollection/hallucination/mindfuck. This means the delay between the break and the moment that "something's different" becomes clearly indicated varies according to the POV character's perception.

E.g., memories of past events are jump-cuts on the thing that triggered the recollection; dreams are consistent where attention is being paid but anything not being watched can shift capriciously; projected experiences borrow a "real" context but have poignant differences injected into them.
>>
>>32420687
I try to avoid them; I find most of the time the goals of a flashback cna be achieved by just describing the character's thought process without shifting the narrative to a new scene, or by the character explaining the experience to another.

I'm not against them, though. One of my favorite books has every other chapter be a flashback in its entirety. Just never found a need for them myself.
>>
>>32420859
Because of psychic shenanigans, out-of-body experiences are prevalent in my series. Originally intended on interpreting them as a forced personality shift because of the way mind-control influences BOTH the user and the target by connecting consciousness through a telepathic variety of pathos. Essentially that jargon boils down to: eliciting dormant feelings to manipulate another's judgment. Persuasive and concise control method in theory (unless you have by some means become apathetic to the world, in which case, well fuck you)

However it becomes increasingly complicated when you factor in several psychics with different motivations, each of which have a tendency to proliferate, becoming layers of self superimposed onto their respective marks. Throw in a few ghosts created by the abundant use of Dream Eater to steal memories, and it escalates into a paranormal slew of wildly intangible elements unless properly defined by careful narration.

Thankfully I'm near to complete with this series and will be taking a nuanced approach, centered on the peculiarities concerning dark types, in my next tale. Should be fun.

>>32421017
The reservation I have with devoting an entire chapter to a flashback would be the simple fact that I've tried it before and it ended up spiraling into a very long scene with no clear end until I had to abruptly pull-the-plug as the author. Doing so was much like pulling the pin out of a hand grenade since it only sowed chaos and made for a needlessly turbulent "back to reality" juncture I regret to this day.

Having characters explain their experience. That's the direction I've been going in as well because it allows me to keep the tense present. I find that's a more active read and keeps me from falling into passive voice.

My reply has been reformatted because of the struggle to post from mobile. Such has a tendency to remove the name from a post, as well as the damn post itself, which I begrudgingly rewrote from scratch.
>>
>>32420687
A horizontal line break and a series of paragraphs using italicized text. Usually context clues make it obvious it is a flashback and I generally avoid them, using them mostly to establish past events that are directly responsible for a character's current state of being or relationship to another. See: how Johannes recounts several encounters with Viola in the past.
>>
>>32421481
>unless you have by some means become apathetic to the world, in which case, well fuck you
* cge shrugs.

>paranormal slew of wildly intangible elements
In my case, it's measured and intentional, but I suppose if things were to gain too much momentum, extreme measures (>careful narration) would be a means to vent some of the pressure. Narration isn't my strong suit, so I hopefully won't find myself in such a position.

>The reservation I have with devoting an entire chapter to a flashback would be the simple fact that I've tried it before and it ended up spiraling into a very long scene with no clear end until I had to abruptly pull-the-plug as the author.
At first, that sounds to me like you lost track of the motivation/goal behind writing the scene in the first place. Because of the toll imposed on the reader's attention, stepping out of the "real" sequence of events needs to perform a clear function; at its conclusion it needs to "spell out" why you wrote it.

Alternatively, you've stacked up so many characters who have paranormal behaviors that the manifold paranormal interactions grew to outweigh the "real world," causing the story to shift into a stream of unconsciousness mode despite any reservations its doing so might draw from its author and audience. :)

>post from mobile
>rewrote from scratch
+1 for dedication.

>>32421685
>using italicized text
Setting my hatred for special formatting in literature, doesn't that become an eyesore in any passage longer than one paragraph?
>>
>>32421803
Hardly. An entire book in italics is one thing. A few hundred words is another altogether. Given the degree to which I use flashbacks (read: almost never) I find the text to be less than a bother to physically read.

If a flashback is so long that it demands an entire chapter or a significant wordcount then I'd just write in standard text and use context clues to indicate that what is happening is in the past. Until then, I find italics for flashback text to be an absurdly useful shortcut to making something obviously not now. And sometimes, not here.

Also I like italicized text and bolded text. It draws the eye immediately and that has practical use by making things easier to pick up and read for some. But that's another discussion altogether.
>>
>>32344467
I need some cute fluff with Lilligant and her trainer now. Anyone know of any? Can lead to smut, but mostly want cute.
>>
>>32422167
you have the options of >>32397096 or the second link at >>32398604
>>
File: roselia_line_by_purplekecleon.png (941KB, 728x1472px) Image search: [Google]
roselia_line_by_purplekecleon.png
941KB, 728x1472px
>>32406745
Are you serious?
>>
>>32424227
Gourdon had a....Gourdon had a hard end to his life.
>>
>>32406745
Ah.
I think I'm just going to steer clear of that series then.
>>
File: 1301816483495.jpg (267KB, 900x623px) Image search: [Google]
1301816483495.jpg
267KB, 900x623px
I know I've been stingy with updates, but at least new content is coming along finally.

Anyway, here's an update for Ao3

[Vines of Deceit] Chapter 5: "Bad Dreams": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9294437/chapters/23857794

I'd forgotten how fun this chapter was to write, and actually enjoyed reading it as I edited it.
>>
>>32390770
>Kanto Johto Hoenn and Sinnoh = Japan
>Alola = Hawaii
>Unova = 'Murica
>Kalos = France

This joke isn't that hard to figure out guys.

>Orre = Germany (tbf this one doesn't make sense)
>>
File: 1492498916393.png (54KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1492498916393.png
54KB, 429x410px
>>32425178
>still no australian region

One day....
>>
I have pilfered a computer now, and it is possible for me to write digitally again for the time being. I'm probably not actually going to, though, since I'm only 3 chapters from finishing the rough draft in its entirety and it'd be really weird to skip all the way back to the midfight in the middle of writing the last fight.

also bump because that's all blogposts from dead writers are good for.
>>
Does anyone want to read my story? It's right here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12231883/1/A-Mew-Me
>>
>>
>>32425178
Orre is based in Arizona anon
>>
>>32425190
that would be a region where the pokemon would be actively fighting people
>>
>>32425404
This me here. Forgot to add my name.
>>
>>32427527
Except for the Alakazams. They'd be content as Knifey-Spoony champions.
>>
>>32425190
There's plenty of post-apocalyptic fanfics out there.
>>
>>32425400
Also here I guess

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7771954/chapters/23870925

It ain't new, but for those who haven't seen the docs all those months back, it's finally finished and uploaded. Here's a Tarte for apology.
>>
also bump
>>
What thread do I use to ask for good Nuzlockes?
>>
Hello. I want to know how to write story with normal (according to the games concept) characters. But all of them were only a background to see for my demigod main character. I think in a story where the most poweful but also traumatized character is secondary and only performs cameos while the other characters does their lives.
>>
File: 1491256756199.jpg (47KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1491256756199.jpg
47KB, 500x378px
>>32431977
I've read that book before. It's called the Sandman.

You're not that guy who wanted to write the story about a guy from space, type something civilisations etc and all that are you?
>>
>>32431997
Yep. So. Any kind of suggestions. Instead of mockering?
>>
File: 1479946227424.jpg (100KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1479946227424.jpg
100KB, 500x382px
>>32432085
>yep

Oh I am laffin

Focus more the the 'demigods' character and emotional struggles, rather than their power.

But your normal characters should shape the story overall.

Though if I am being entirely honest, I'd stop writing about these overpowered mary sue characters for a while and just focus on the normal people. It's why most people like Batman more than Superman...though most people are plebs as Superman is clearly a better character.
>>
>>32431060
Nuzlocke Forums, I guess.
Either that or try your luck at ff/ao3
>>
>>32425404
The grammar and punctuation slips in places, most of it seems a little ambitious for the level of proofreading that was put into it. I'm no good at judging plot in literature, so I'm just going to impart a few basic tips, though seeing as how there's eight chapters and a few tens of thousand words to sift through, they'll probably just be for later works if you have any.

Firstly, a trimmed and proper prose is important to the tempo. Take the time after a chapter to read it again, really examine the fuck out of that shit for error, mispellings, or just things you might want to add or subtract in general. That is, if you really care.

Second, don't be afraid to give a little more flesh to scenes and descriptions. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that, but one can give the illusion of time and perception if the proper words and imagery are applied in the right places. There are some places I noticed that could have benefited from a little more meat on the bones, and others that were fine.

I dunno
>>
>>32425404
You took a premise that should be interesting and did absolutely nothing with it.

What does your story want to be about? You have a basic idea that could lead somewhere, but no substance to it as of yet despite the story being 30k words long.
>>
File: 671Florges.png (142KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
671Florges.png
142KB, 475x475px
>>
File: 321415415.png (3KB, 500x162px) Image search: [Google]
321415415.png
3KB, 500x162px
Nyeh heh heh
>>
>>32435623
That crazy phox man actually did it- he broke 1000.
>>
>>32435683
Now to break a thousand subscriptions. Four's a good starting number to do that with, right?
>>
>>32436651
Four is where I'm at on AO3.
>>
File: is this good.jpg (18KB, 373x267px) Image search: [Google]
is this good.jpg
18KB, 373x267px
>>32436651
>>32436961
Are we comparing numbers now?

What's the difference between bookmarks and subscriptions anyway?
>>
To the fanfiction users.
How do I search? I wanna go find the old lemons from way back in the day, but fuck me if I know how this search works.
I keep seeing the same Ash/blatantOCself-insert crap, not the old stuff that was only marginally better.
>>
File: 12341234123.png (4KB, 490x268px) Image search: [Google]
12341234123.png
4KB, 490x268px
>>32438525
I imagine bookmarks are just favoriting a piece into a sortable section wheras a subscription would instead just notify you whenever there's an update on that piece.
>>
>>32438544
This is probably as good as you can get on FFN. You can add some more character filters or sort by publish date and go to the last page if you're really serious about older ones being better: https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Pok%C3%A9mon/?&srt=4&g1=2&lan=1&r=4&s=2&_c1=6297

>>32438525
>>32438567
Subscriptions just send you emails when the work/author/series you subscribe to updates. A bookmark is basically a favorite option that allows you to make a personal note, like a short description or summary, for future reference as well as giving you the ability to add your own tags for sorting purposes.
>>
>>32438759
It's all mostly crap, what I read back then just has nostalgic value from old faps and wasted time in boring days.
But thanks anon.
>>
bump so someone else doesn't have to
>>
>>32438842
all the good stuff's been deleted since then
>>
File: 1483743757547.png (136KB, 306x288px) Image search: [Google]
1483743757547.png
136KB, 306x288px
>just finished LL after seeing people talk about it in the thread
>they don't bone
>>
File: 1381110286340.jpg (86KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1381110286340.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
>>32440007
>>
>>32440007
Suffering
>>
File: ao3metrics.png (5KB, 477x242px) Image search: [Google]
ao3metrics.png
5KB, 477x242px
>It's a "post our metrics" episode
Meh.

If I can tear myself away from Stellaris/away from my bf playing Stellaris, I'll hammer out a long-overdue fulfillment of an ancient request tonight. No promises, I jsut like teasing
>>
>>32441439
Luckily for me, I haven't any numbers on AO3 worth showing off to worry about.
>>
>>32441439
>mfw metric is "185 failed sign-up attempts"
>>
>>32441706
and counting?
>>
>>32441439
>Creating a master race of Eevee
>Conquering the galaxy in search of evolutionary stones
>Find Earth
>Link up humans and Pokemon to artificial reality
>Make Pokemon Real

Don't let your dreams be memes my friend
>>
testing tripfaggotry
>>
>>32442293
Faggotry confirmed, fag
>>
>>32442293
increase vitamin c
>>
>>32441726
And counting, yes why thank you.

>>32442293
Life did not give you lemons it seems, senpai
>>
>>32442637
A shame, since lemons are what every>>32440462 wants.
>>
File: 1489590674119.jpg (170KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489590674119.jpg
170KB, 600x600px
>>32442670
Always seems to be the case when writing a story with Gard doesn't it?
>>
File: 46172814_p0.png (304KB, 500x1400px) Image search: [Google]
46172814_p0.png
304KB, 500x1400px
>>32344467
Since its the month of may and tulips grow at this time could I request a roselia/roserade story? Since we don't have a tulip pokemon those two are the next best thing. And they don't have any feel good/romance stories or anything really aside from that bully story to my knowledge.
>>
>>32442831
There should somehow be a warning. Like, Clippy appears: "It looks like you're about to write something you're going to look back upon with mixed feelings."
>>
File: LocalElf.jpg (31KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
LocalElf.jpg
31KB, 350x350px
Does /vp/ have any advice for writing a Pokemon Fanfic ?
Like, to try and get the feel of the world right ?

Playing through Black 2 for the first time, and i'm just writing out the characters right now.
>>
>>32442913
If only my Office assistant could do things like predict the future.
Then maybe I wouldn't need to write about psychics.

>>32442951
Details are your friend for world building. I'd recommend using character interaction to make the world feel more alive. Have a random trainer outside talking about the latest Big Stadium news with a friend. Perhaps discuss some Pokemon that are doing various training exercises. Make the world you're constructing feel natural by taking an active approach to observation, engaging the reader. If you are in Unova (mentioned Black 2), you have a lot of available opportunities with the metropolitan population. Even when out in the wilderness have your characters respond to what they experience to help the reader literally get in their heads, thereby putting them in the world.
>>
>>32442913
If such warnings existed, I would get them every time. If I listened to them, I'd never write. I'm told that part of getting better is dissatisfaction with past accomplishments. I'm happy to say that there is then exactly one metric by which I can say I'm improving; I have 'mixed feelings' about everything I've ever released.
>>
>>32442913
I mean that applies to pretty much anything you write ever, doesn't it? Who looks back and thinks, "this is all perfectly fine and I have no issue with anything I've written"?

At least for me anyway; retrospect taught me the importance realizing how much you actually need to, if not explain, at least be ready to explain to avoid a world resembling a blanket forgotten in an attic.

I don't regret my choice in 'mon. Not yet. Hopefully not ever.
>>
>>32443055
>I'm told that part of getting better is dissatisfaction with past accomplishments.
There's proof that I'm a lost cause. I figured that I peaked with Waterlogged and have been getting worse ever since. But maybe I shouldn't be so generous as to apply the word "accomplishments" to these things.

>>32443110
>Who looks back and thinks, "this is all perfectly fine and I have no issue with anything I've written"?
I don't know who, but that person's probably really happy.
>>
>>32432107
Yep. But I'm saying that the demigod in some point of the story is being puersuited by his own mind demons. Also and I said above I want to focus more in his psychological aspects. But more in the normal aspects of the other characters.
>>
>>32444023
>being puersuited by his own mind demons
why don't he use god power to beat them?
>>
File: 1463775875679.png (345KB, 618x547px) Image search: [Google]
1463775875679.png
345KB, 618x547px
>>32443055
>I have 'mixed feelings' about everything I've ever released.
Not gonna lie, that's become part of the charm besides the sought-after self-improvement.

>>32443110
What you describe is a writer's nirvana. Sounds comfy.
don't regret my choice in 'mon.
That's also a good place to be. Probably more attainable too.

>tfw coming up with clever chapter names is more stress than the actual writing. Doubly so when going for that bit of extra meaning in addition to the obvious.
>>
>>32444054
Because if you are so powerful to modify the reality in some ways, your mind demons also will be powerful, and also I'm think about them as the "antagonic" rest of an old nemy of the demigod. But I need more about normal character minds.
>>
>>32444271
Ah nirvana. If only. ;-;

Coming up with clever chapter names that have deeper meaning was always good fun, then I started doing it to story titles and summaries and realized that it tends to alienate readers. Probably going to stick to just interesting chapter titles from now on.
>>
>>32444276
oh well, if he can't beat em, join em
it's demons win time
>>
>>32444330
Thats were is the emotional and mental struggle. If the character becomes corrupt he will enslave and start to change the reality in horible manners. And also is somehow a tied, a controlled "mind" problem.
>>
>>32344467
The hardest thing about writing for me is actually getting started, I can brainstorm for days, and once I get going it's hard to stop, but actually sitting down and putting pen to paper is tough.
>>
>>32443110
>choice in mon
Viola?
>>
>>32445335
Yeah. Gardevoir in general. I knew there were alot of pitfalls I'd have to avoid or spin to make fresh and I hope I've been managing to do so.

I drummed up another idea for another take on the pokemon, but it's also wrapped up in a plot focused around fighting, unhealthy relationships and turbulent romance. It's in its infancy and may never develop into something more, who knows, I have bigger fish to fry still in the form of ACPC/EH/OV.

I enjoy writing about the line, but writing about bisharp and xatu has been really fun, and I'm skimming the 'dex for something else to eventually turn to as well. Maybe more mismagius stuff.
>>
>>32445438
>unhealthy relationships
I'm listening
>>
>>32442845
A few years back there was a guy doing something for Roserade and camping, but he hasn't updated it since. I could fish it up in my old computer when I get the chance
>>
>>32446966
I've been toying around with the trope some relationships are built on: the couple can basically only be lovers or adversaries, but never friends, and then just twisting the protagonists around each other as they jockey for dominance.

Since it's based on a more traditional Trainer/Pokemon dynamic, the relationship is already slated to suffer from unhealthy implications brought on by both parties buying into the system, and it is further compounded by the fact that both parties are capable of emotional manipulation, one via authority and the other via ability.

Rasmus ends up a Trainer with an authoritarian bent actively flipping between indulging and rejecting taboo with a rather callous disregard for what that does to things that can feel, and Sieglinde ends up 'mon actively flipping between submission and control with an equally callous disregard for what is right and wrong. But that's really all I have as far as specifics goes for the moment and it may never come to fruition.
>>
>>32442845
Roserade got some greentext smut a while back. The writefag converted it to a full text.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/10523937
>>
>>32448116
At least its something thank you anon I will read it. Have a rose bump.
>>
Are there any stories featuring humans that aren't transformed into Pokemon interacting with Pokemon from the Mystery Dungeon world?
>>
>>32450100
There was like one story posted here about some army actually encountering pokemon in a mystery dungeon setting, town and all, but I for the life of me cannot remember the author
>>
up
>>
>>32344467
>discuss the struggles as a reader

The fact that I have shit luck when it comes to finding any fics that involve male Pokemon and their fem trainers in a romantic setting. Haven't checked these threads so I might be in luck
>>
>>32451534
>I have shit luck when it comes to finding any fics that involve male Pokemon and their fem trainers
I have shit luck when it comes to finishing any fics that involve male Pokemon and their fem trainers, recently.

>in a romantic setting.
It's like you want to make things difficult.
>>
>>32391155
Oh god, you sound like me (just, minus the lag... mostly)
>>
uppu
>>
File: 1474580478763.gif (961KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1474580478763.gif
961KB, 240x180px
>>32451534
>discuss the struggles as a reader
Finding a story with an excellent premise and good execution, but littered with poor grammar and writing.

In other news,
>mfw i wrote a chapter for a new fic in one sitting and i can't upload it cause it will spoil my current one
>>
>>32454346
>wrote a chapter for a new fic in one sitting and i can't upload it cause it will spoil my current one
In the same situation. Until I conclude an epilogue I'm hesitant to upload a story that follows the final events of the series. How I've used that time to write five new chapters instead of revising one conclusion is anyone's guess.
>>
>>32454456
There must be something in the epilogue that you don't want to set in stone.
>>
File: notes.png (2KB, 398x71px) Image search: [Google]
notes.png
2KB, 398x71px
>>32441439
>post your metrics
o.kay. Keep in mind this is not AO3 rather, Nyah Fanfiction, a brazilian fanfic site

in order:
>Total comments
>Subscriptions
>People who read until the end (n/a since not finished)
>Bookmarks
>Recommendations
>Hits

Out of curiosity, 106062 words
>>
File: 1490254325474.png (22KB, 580x454px) Image search: [Google]
1490254325474.png
22KB, 580x454px
>>32454346
>finding a story with flawless grammar, but an uninteresting and cliche premise
>>
>>32454596
>People who read until the end
and then cge started learning portuguese
>>
>>32454488
The problem is tied to the chronological progression I've worked out in my mind. As part of the epilogue, several key events have occurred intermittently between the last chapter and the epilogue. These are directly a cause of one of the character's morally questionable decisions involving Pokeball technology. For simplicity's sake I've been referring to this as a sort of butterfly effect (or "Butterfree effect" due to my tendency to substitute Pokemon names in my writing). Those deceptively minor events in their aggregate give rise to both the bittersweet situation present in the temporally proximate epilogue and in the distant next story - taking place generations later. So, yes, I do believe I've been testing the waters as to how these things might play out in a "what-if" sandbox before cementing anything while I have the chance. Nevertheless I must suit action to word by taking the plunge, committing to what I've already decided upon.

>>32441439
I don't have my series' stats handy, it's somewhere along the lines of 600 thousand before I quit counting. Used to care more, but nowadays it's mostly compelling personal motives for seeing things through to the end.
>>
Hey catalog person, can you take down the stuff of mine that's listed with pastebin links? Those are obsolete and I want to update it with new stuff (and one has a double entry idk what's up with that, maybe someone else added it too?)
>>
>>32455024
Sadly, it's a tag the reader has to check in his own subscription list, so I wouldn't trust it (my oneshots have more comments than "read" tags)

>>32438525
at Nyah, subscriptions means you get a notification when a new chapter is posted, but not bookmarks.
Also, subscriptions default as private when checking a reader's profile (but can be made public); bookmarks are always public
>>
>>32455139
I would kill for some kind of option on FFN to mark stories that you've already read or decided not to read and an option to filter those out of searches.
>>
>>32438525
If it's a one-shot, subscriptions are basically kudos. That's what people would do on FF.NET to praise a work without cluttering their bookmarks, and some carried the habit over to AO3.
>>
Here is my epilogue... I hope you like it.
https://pastebin.com/x1isx3tx
>>
>>32450100
They don't exist
>>
>>32455024
I must resist the temptatiõn.

>>32455039
You've already taken the plunge by dedicating to the timeline strongly enough to write another story based upon it. It's like skydiving, realizing they pushed you out on "2".
>>
>>32450100
soon
>>
File: 8.png (12KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
8.png
12KB, 200x200px
>>32450100
>Are there any stories featuring humans that aren't transformed into Pokemon interacting with Pokemon from the Mystery Dungeon world?
>humans interacting with Pokemon
> >>32455399
excalating quickly
>>
>>32455435
it's also
>pokemon from the human world interacting with pokemon from the pokemon world.
A lot more of that, if I'm being honest.
>>
>>32455446
Will normal-pokemon and PMD-pokemon still share a common language? I imagine it'd be at best like the first guy to write out Beowulf reciting it to an audience today.
>>
This final fight's pretty rad

It's good to be at four pages a day again
>>
File: combee_by_julicity-d9uner0.png (235KB, 847x590px) Image search: [Google]
combee_by_julicity-d9uner0.png
235KB, 847x590px
Alright, time for a random little announcement out of the blue. Some of you might remember that I started writing a story about a Combee and a Pokemon researcher in October last year. I got halfway through, but I guess I ended up burning myself out, because I stopped at that point.

However, since then, I've slowly regained my motivation and started to work on the story again. I've made lots of progress writing the rest of it, and more importantly, I've finally convinced myself to bite the bullet and start posting what I've written instead of perpetually fretting over whether it's good enough to publish yet, like I have been for the last few months. Of course, there's always the chance it actually isn't good enough yet, but I've waited too long and really ought to get moving on this project again.

To that end, I've got two links here. The first is the aforementioned chapter, and I welcome feedback on it.
The second is a changelog documenting the alterations I've made to the previous chapters since I published them, so anyone who remembers the chapters and doesn't want to reread them to see what's changed can just look at the changelog for a summary (but I highly doubt anyone remembers the story after all this time). Alternatively, you can use it as a table of contents for the time being, since it has links to each chapter.

TLDR: I'm bringing an old story out of hiatus. Below is a link to the next chapter along with a link to the list of changes (which doubles as a table of contents) made to earlier chapters.

Chapter 5: https://pastebin.com/0K7wKm9N
Changelog for earlier chapters: http://pastebin.com/T8dqjS2A
>>
>>32450100
A quick search pulled up these two which sound like what you're looking for. I think I tried reading the first one a long long time ago and stopped pretty quickly, so the quality might not be good and it's incomplete anyways. The second one's summary sounds promising though.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9469908/1/Escape-From-Darkness
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10509753/1/Pok%C3%A9mon-Mystery-Dungeon-Light-and-Darkness
>>
>>32455832
Hell no. I have a Psychic for that.
They're the ones who taught the Blaziken about human language, so he could understand the two in WIAM.
>>
>>32457564
>I have a Psychic for that.
Oh boy; here come the italics.
Blaziken doesn't need to be taught about human language because Pokemon naturally understand human language. Strangely understanding their unfamiliar language would be verification that these creatures he meets are indeed of that legendary creed.
…But that doesn't speak to the issue of pokemon/PMD communication. That a Psychic is involved somewhat complicates the matter, because the Psychic becomes a filter. I hope that miscommunication is relevant to the plot.
>>
>>32457691
>That a Psychic is involved somewhat complicates the matter, because the Psychic becomes a filter.
You assume that in six years he hasn't developed a better way of communicating with the creatures he encountered.
though I'm not going to rule out psychic-filter-issues being relevant to this series in some way now or in the future
>>
>>32457706
>You assume that in six years
Do I assume, when I don't know that any particular span of six years is relevant, or exists till now that is?

So, why not use Better Way exclusively and not need a Psychic making the writing more difficult?

Better Way equals "Blaze Kick all the creatures till cooperation happens."
>>
>>32457804
>So, why not use Better Way exclusively and not need a Psychic making the writing more difficult?
RAFO
>>
>>32457815
There's nothing yet to read.
>>
File: pixiv61314818_12.jpg (329KB, 591x875px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv61314818_12.jpg
329KB, 591x875px
I finally dusted off my AO3 invitation and made an account. It's been sitting in my inbox since 2015. Silly me forgot to use my pastebin name.
>>
Anyone know of a Pheromosa fic? I think someone on the /trash/ threads wrote one a while back, was wondering if anyone here managed to snag it.
>>
File: 1491177202717.png (616KB, 790x628px) Image search: [Google]
1491177202717.png
616KB, 790x628px
>>32458736
here's the only two I know of. Would appreciate it if anyone else links more.

https://pastebin.com/EKxBa37L

https://pastebin.com/whPGyXk8
>>
Morning
>>
File: 1459823115818.png (648KB, 461x855px) Image search: [Google]
1459823115818.png
648KB, 461x855px
Morning. Uploaded a new chapter, Curse of the Blood Fairy.

>Chapter 20
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10121590/20/Gift-of-the-Protector-Radiant-Heart

More to follow. Made it to the homestretch, there's no stopping now.
>>
>>32459592
>Curse of the Blood Fairy
zika
>>
>>32460007
>blood used as a conduit for mega evolution
>infection happens
Surprisingly similar coincidentally.
>>
>>32460164
>mega evolution is midichlorians
>>
File: 1484657236727.jpg (39KB, 663x579px) Image search: [Google]
1484657236727.jpg
39KB, 663x579px
>>32460212
>tfw Lucas gets his grubby mits on pokemon
>>
File: 1488647635055.gif (128KB, 263x293px) Image search: [Google]
1488647635055.gif
128KB, 263x293px
>>
File: wauaahhhhhhh.jpg (31KB, 385x362px) Image search: [Google]
wauaahhhhhhh.jpg
31KB, 385x362px
>>32450100
Yes
I am going to post what is written so far of First Contact (Three chapters, 5,300 words total) sometime tonight or later tomorrow on AO3 and then get back to an actual writing schedule since I haven't posted updates to it in like six months.
>>
>>32462045
Also I know that length is pathetic, but not that much really happens until the third currently. I'm going to beef it the fuck up this evening with going in-depth exactly what some of the characters think of their current situation though not wordy and verbose enough to be considered heavy padding.
>>
>>32450118
It was me ;))) After several months of working on First Contact on and off, I have returned for realizes now guys I swear.
>>
File: 1357708881881.jpg (19KB, 223x216px) Image search: [Google]
1357708881881.jpg
19KB, 223x216px
>>
>>32463343
all the best words
>>
>>32463343
The ramblings of an autist who died inside long ago
>>
up
>>
I'm not complaining, but I do find it weird when something that's sucked me in for a week loses its hold. There's almost a precise moment you can feel it let go. It's bizarre.

Back to writing
>>
>>32465346
Same. Things I was dying to get on paper just a month ago now hardly cross my mind.

Good thing I set my goal date in August.
>>
Weird query, but does anyone know of any good fanfics dating back to the original Pokemania of the late 90s/early 00s? I'm on a nostalgia trip.
>>
File: 19736387_p0.jpg (90KB, 343x441px) Image search: [Google]
19736387_p0.jpg
90KB, 343x441px
>>32456920
Cool, I was wondering where this story went.
Happy to see you working on it again.
>>
>>32465952
Oh this thing wasn't writing. It's freed my attention for writing though, hence why I'm not complaining.
>>
>>32345163
In that case...
Requesting literally any story involving a female frillish, preferably a cute NSFW story involving her and a male trainer.

If you need a plot how about a story involving male swimmer (any gen or made up) encountering one that loves to glomp/surprise hug him (to his initial annoyance?) during his swim sessions if you need a premise. Still gets lewd though, but author has total control as to how the story rolls.
>>
>>32467616
How big would you want it, exactly?

I'm pretty busy most of this week, especially with the rough finale of MoM but I do tend to end up doing speedlewds on occasion. But those only really go up to a thousand and a half words.
>>
>>32467719
I don't have a length in mind. I do like long stories/smuts though if that helps, so no need to hold back
>>
>>32467761
First person, or third? Second is for dweebs.
>>
>>32467806
Not that anon, but +1 for third
>>
>>32467806
I like first for immersion, but let's go third
>>
>>32467873
Alright, the date I will get it to you is [eventually, but probably not that long]. If you got any specific names for the male MC to have, lay em on now.

Here's to hoping it's hip to FUCK jellyfish
>>
>>32467901
>name
Let's go with Adam
>>
>>32467951
t.Adam
>>
>>32467951
frillish is Steve
>>
>>32467951
>>32468018
How do people go about picking names for OCs? Pokemon setting has so many characters already, it's hard to avoid duplicates. Does anybody care if minor character names are reused?
>>
File: 1492244992825.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1492244992825.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>32468057
you're a funny bugger, mate.

Have a free 'you'.
>>
>>32467951
As long as it's not a name I have to come up with, I'm golden. Otherwise you get shit like Vallion and Chenza, and suddenly everything feels a lot closer to middle school.

>>32468057
I'd settle for Seve because it's more confusing for everyone that way.

>>32468080
I've got a little pool of shitty names that I reuse in most media I write in, kind of like a signature. I also rarely use non-fantastical names, and the real names I do like aren't all that common in the first place. I'd say as long as a character is distinct, they can have whatever fuckin name you put on them and still be unique.
>>
>>32468080
>>32468089
yeah for me I usually steal names from other works of fiction or names that I've just heard out there before. I like to avoid really generic and common names while trying not to use special snowflake sounding ones either.
Like for example a long time ago I saw some history documentary on TV (cant remember what it was about though) and one of the historians they talked to was named Christophe and I liked the way that sounded so that's what I called my antagonist lol
>>
File: 1452288836708.png (175KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
1452288836708.png
175KB, 500x563px
>>32468080
For me it depends on the setting. In a rural village, expect more esoteric names. City folk tend to have common names. Some people go by their profession, doctor, detective, and whatnot. Giving a Pokemon a human nickname is uncommon, but it still happens even if it is mostly colloquial. Some species have their own names for individual members of a group.
>>
>>32468080
A combination of names I chose for significance (usually for MCs on), for their relation to the country the region resembles (MCs and side characters alike) and/or regular generic names (for throw away side characters.)

"Igance Coquin" is not an accidental name. "Ricard Grimaud" is not an accidental name. Same for "Charles" and "d'Artagnan."
>>
>>32468080
>Pokemon setting has so many characters already
They double up on names, often, thanks to the many route trainers, but they've also had cases of Japanese name A is B in English, then B is used in Japanese and maybe it becomes C or maybe stays B in the English and at that point who cares.

In my stories, some names are spontaneous whims that "feel right" for the character, but sometimes names are referential in a direct or abstract way, and more than once I've deliberately same-named characters for a moment of levity, leading to two Alices and two Graces (so far) in LL. And in LL, the first dozen-ish characters were named by the executive producer, leading to there being different Fionas in C/E and LL.
>>
>>32468080
I usually think of random names off the top of my head and use them. If I can't think of anything, I'll either draw from other sources or take a few minutes to research names with particular meanings relevant to the story, and then use those.

Most of the time, I try to keep the names relatively common and ordinary, sticking with stuff I've heard before. I've used Susie and Vincent so far. From drafts of other stories, there are names like David, Boris, Jessica, and Anne. Nothing too bizarre except for this one guy called Euclid, but that's a special case because it's just a nickname.

I also don't care if minor character names are repeated. Considering the games themselves do it sometimes, I think it's fine for us to do it as well. However, it would probably be best to avoid repeating the names of well-known major character, so people don't get confused.
>>
File: lavawalker.jpg (111KB, 900x562px) Image search: [Google]
lavawalker.jpg
111KB, 900x562px
And now, for something a little different.

Technically the 12th installment to [The Dark Type], but the first of a small series of chapters with a new narrator, [What Blue Eyes See]. These are meant to showcase things throughout my work that may not deserve a chapter of their own, or can't/won't fit in one. They will also serve as interludes to certain chapters as well.

[What Blue Eyes See] #1 "Lava Walker": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/24039777
>>
>Are you not a native speaker? Your syntax is very confusing and hard to follow.

cge, how does it feel to be called an ESL Idiot by a tumblr robot?
>>
I wrote something inspired by a /r9k/ thread.

Echoes of the Past (6.5K words)
NSFW: https://archiveofourown.org/works/10831332

OC male trainer visits OC hairy unwashed NEET hex maniac. Spooky ghost sex ensues. I'm fairly happy how this turned out.
>>
Up
>>
File: transitions.png (2KB, 741x32px) Image search: [Google]
transitions.png
2KB, 741x32px
We live in a world where people ACTUALLY use transitions like this in their fics.
>>
File: 1470599598911.jpg (35KB, 533x622px) Image search: [Google]
1470599598911.jpg
35KB, 533x622px
>>32471280
I see nothing wrong
>>
>>32471280
pure realism
>>
>>32471280
Finally some realistic writing I can relate to.
>>
>>32472842
New thread
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.