[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ARE THE POKEMON MOVIES CANON?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: Pokemon The First Movie.jpg (149KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon The First Movie.jpg
149KB, 1024x768px
Let's find an answer to this question once and for all. If anyone can accomplish this feat, it's us.
>>
>>32309558
No.
>>
The first movie is arguably canon due to it actually having a connection with the anime. The rest are likely non-canon.
>>
Yes, only turbo autists believe otherwise. So expect a lot of >>32309567
>>
File: Ash.jpg (137KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ash.jpg
137KB, 640x480px
>>32309567
>You have to talk about something in order for it to be real

/Ourboy/ Ash has better stuff to do than brag about his past adventures.
>>
>>32309573
All of them follow the Anime's chronology though. The episode before the film airs, precedes it in the overall timeline of events.
>>
>>32309558
Only three are canon.
The Mewtwo one (scenes of him running away were in the anime too)
The Lucario one (It inroduced the fact that Ash can manipulate aura, reintroduced in all the Sinnoh episode with a Riolu or a Lucario in)
The Darkrai one (Dawn buys a Lunar Wing in that movie, which comes back in the Cresselia episode of the anime)
>>
>>32309558
Only the first three
>>
File: M14_eng_poster.png (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
M14_eng_poster.png
2MB, 1280x1024px
All of the movies are canon except for one of these two, which one is it?
>>
>>32309558
I would say yes. Quite a few of the events that happen in the movies are referenced in the anime. I remember there being an article of sorts listing all of them, but I don't have it on me. Still, some, like the first couple movies as well as the Darkrai movies, are undoubtedly canon, so I see no reason to assume the rest aren't. That would be just cherrypicking. Unless there is some evidence not all are canon, and there is some evidence that a few are, you should assume all are.
>>
>>32309558
Yes, most of them either don't contradict anything in the main series, so could just be seen as long filler episodes, or include elements that are indirectly mentioned in some episodes (like the Lucario and Darkrai movies).

So far the only exception, ie the only movie that simply can't exist in the same canon as the TV anime, is the Victini movie.
>>
>>32309567
>>32309930
>Jenna

You're not a Pokegrill by any chance are you?
>>
>>32309937
I'm a boy, the imposter claims to be a girl.
>>
File: Pokemon the movie 2000.jpg (773KB, 1300x1733px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon the movie 2000.jpg
773KB, 1300x1733px
Is this movie Canon? Just got done rewatching it. Definitely one of my favs. The whole Team Rocket sub-plot in which they help out was amazing.

I love Jesse so damn much...
>>
>>32309930
>in the White version Ash wakes up Zekrom, while in the anime Zekrom was already free by the time Ash arrived in Unova
>in the Black version Ash wakes up Reshiram, while in the anime Reshiram had already been freed by Ghetsis two years before Ash arrived in Unova
Neither?
>>
>>32309558
Canon to what? You never specify.
>>
>>32309558
>trying to make sense of the anime when even the writers don't give a single fuck
What a waste of life
>>
>>32309963
What makes you think that?
>>
>>32309970
They literally rewrote the events of the first season to shoehorn in gen 7 Pokemon for marketing
>>
>>32309952
There an episode in Johto where Ash and friends find a baby Lugia and he says something like "I've met a different Lugia before!"
>>
>>32309960
The overarching anime Slowbro.
>>
The Lucario one is canon, forsure
>>
File: Pepachu.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pepachu.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
>>32309984
>baby Lugia

How can this be? A Legendary Pokemon is the only one of its kind. That's what makes them special.
>>
File: Pichu_Bros_(Pichu_Bros).jpg (78KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pichu_Bros_(Pichu_Bros).jpg
78KB, 500x360px
>yfw pichu bros never popularized
>no more misadventures with them and other gen 2 babbymons
>>
>>32310024
2D sidescrolling adventure with Pichu bros and other Pokeymans when?!?
>>
>>32309991
I will concur the events of the first movie definitely do. I looked up the matter for the baby Lugia, and indeed the connection is made for either version. The only other connection I'm aware of is the presence of the Lunar Wing Dawn got in Movie 10 being used in a later episode. All the rest are neither mentioned nor do they have consequences that affect the plot.
>>
>>32310000
Oh, that one, too. Forgot about it.
>>
>>32310008
There is nothing anywhere that suggests this for most of the legends. The only one I am certain there is definitely only one of them is Arceus. The others can either be replicated endlessly by Arceus, there are perhaps more than one of them for each world that exists, or humans themselves apparently have made multiples of them. (applicable only to Mewtwo and Genesect)
>>
>>32310008
>A Legendary Pokemon is the only one of its kind.
That's not even true in the games, let alone in the anime. See the Regis existing in Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova, the Birds in Kanto, Sinnoh and Kalos, the Lake Trio in Sinnoh and Unova, etc. The anime goes beyond that and has even shown legendaries and mythicals living in groups.

Box Legendaries and some mythicals are the only ones that could be considered "unique", but even that is more of a theory than a fact, since there's no NPC in the games that say "there's only one specimen of this pokémon in the world!" or something.

Also, just because a pokémon can't reproduce in captivity doesn't mean they can't reproduce period. The undiscovered egg group thing is just a game limitation, not an in-universe rule.
>>
File: 1468678144886.jpg (28KB, 499x479px) Image search: [Google]
1468678144886.jpg
28KB, 499x479px
>>32310128
>>32310132

I don't know... having more than one sort of decreases their significance for me. I'll believe it when I see two legendaries on-screen at the same time.
>>
>>32310167
We've seen Dialga/Palkia/Giratina hatch. Good enough?
>>
>>32310008
5th movie has at least 3 latios
>>
>>32310167
>I have to be the only one in all of existence to be special

The 90s were wrong, buddy.
>>
>>32310173
In the movies? But aren't they different mons?
>>
>>32310173
Not him but they're gods of the foundation of the universe. For all we know that's when they were created in the first place
>>
>>32310188
>In the movies?
No, in the Arceus event in HGSS.
>>
>>32309558
They're only ever canon when it's convenient
>>
>>32310167
You're such a fucking pussy honestly
>>
>>32309862
You forgot the Lugia movie. When ash met that baby Lugia he says "I've met a different Lugia bac in Orange Islands" or something like that.
>>
>>32310102
Is it possible to say that Regigigas M11 and M12 are canon too since they're related to M10?
>>
File: Shaymin_Gracidea.png (1MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shaymin_Gracidea.png
1MB, 852x480px
>>32310167
>I'll believe it when I see two legendaries on-screen at the same time
You mean in the games? Because that already happens sometimes in the anime
>>
>>32310247
Bugger, forgot that, too. Yes, those three movies were related, so if one is canon, they all are.
>>
>>32310228
ONLY IN THE DUB
>>
>>32310318
Wrong. It's the same in japanese.
>>
>>32309558
In short: yes, they're canon. The only exception is M14 where you have two alternate tellings of it.

The rest are considered to happen in the anime' continuity, with stuff in the movies being referenced in, or actually being brought into, the anime proper from time to time.

There isn't much of a serious debate on this except among fan theorists here and on other sites, such as YouTube.
>>
>>32309952
>watching the dub
>>
>>32310318
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/jouto/ep220.html

It was said in Japanese, too.
>>
>>32309933
Pretty much this. Dawn's Lunar Wing, which she actually first got in the Darkrai movie, is a good example.
>>
>>32310294
prime example: the end scene of the 4th movie
how many celebi were there? at least 20
>>
>>32309558
There is no canon because there is no continuity. If there were, Ash wouldn't still be 10 after two decades of anime.
>>
>a bunch of the movies have their events explicitly referenced in the anime
>retards see a need to argue if the rest of the movies are canon as well
>yet nobody ever has autistic discussions about whether or not this or that random never-referenced-again filler episode is canon
>>
>>32309558
>if anyone can accomplish this feat, it's us.
i cringed
>>
>>32310366
In that case it' at least possible it's all the same Celebi, though.
>>
Why would anyone care about canon in a commercial ad targeted at Japanese schoolchildren? Do you seriously have nothing better to discuss?
>>
>>32309558
I feel like the first one was supposed to be since a few episodes referenced what went on in the movie, but the rest is completely out of place.
>>
>>32309862
Wasn't the Darkrai movie directly related to the DP Trilogy movies?
>>
>>32310653
Yes, check >>32310247
>>
>>32310167
Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are probably unique because their lore is that they're the fragments of the original Kyurem that split itself into 3 parts.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.