[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you knowingly mispronounce any pokemon names?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

File: Dusknoir.full.1010052.jpg (717KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Dusknoir.full.1010052.jpg
717KB, 2000x1500px
Almost everyone has a pokemon where they know they pronounce the name wrong but have said it wrong for so long they can't fix it. What's yours?
I'll start. Throughout the entirety of Gen4 I pronounced Dusknoir as "Dusk-kin-nor." I know how to pronounce it now but i still find myself saying it wrong.
A close friend of mine has been calling Gardovoir "Gar-ba-dor" since he bought Ruby. It's been his favorite pokemon ever since then so he refuses to change it's pronunciation. Even after gen5 came out he continues to pronounce it that way. As a result he's come to really love the actual pokemon Garbodor. He talks about both of them often just to fuck with me and my friends because we can't tell what the hell he's talking about half the time until he goes into details.
>>
>>32306396
omastar and omanyte
>>
>>32306396
>pronounces gardevoir as garbodor
really makes you think
>>
>>32306405
how do you pronounce them?
>>
>>32306428
oh-mah-star and oh-mah-nyte instead of ah-muh-star and ah-muh-nyte (which are the official pronunciations from guide books)
>>
I know someone who pronounces "Ditto" as "Dit-tee-oh." I have no idea why he does that.
>>
File: dtgh.jpg (4KB, 159x159px) Image search: [Google]
dtgh.jpg
4KB, 159x159px
>>32306444
shit me too
>>
>>32306462
yeah it looks like an oh but it's an ah
all the way from the very start
>>
I've always pronounced Oddish as Oh-Dish
>>
>>32306396
dialga and arceus
>>
I used to pronounce Rayquaza as ray-quah-zuh instead of ray-quay-zuh. It's still something I debate with friends.
I also knew a kid that pronounced Suicune as soo-en-sign. Never had the heart to tell him he was wrong.

>>32306444
Apparently I pronounce Omanyte right and Omastar wrong.
>>
>>32306519
I still say it quah
>>
I pronounce Arceus and Archaic + us.
Arse-e-us is not a good name for a god.
>>
>>32306519
Not the first time I've heard Suicune pronounced ending in -sign. I wonder where that comes from, it doesn't look like it ends in -sign at all
>>
>>32306519
Where does the second y sound come from?
>>
I've always pronounced Zweilous as "Zwey-los". The official pronunciation is kind of retarded.
>>
>>32306578
I blame the german language. I had to look up how to pronounce that thing when it first came out. The fact that the w makes a v sound confused me until i realized it was german
>>
Rotom as "rot-im"

Zygarde as "zai-guard"
>>
i pronounce kyogre as key-ogre instead of kai-ogre and sometimes i pronounce pachirisu as puh-cheer-i-su instead of pah-cher-i-su
>>
>>32306624
I think that's how you're meant to say Zygarde but I see lots of arguments
>>
File: 1351381902224.jpg (464KB, 855x789px) Image search: [Google]
1351381902224.jpg
464KB, 855x789px
I say "RA-ta-ta," but I've heard "ra-TA-tuh" a lot. Not sure which is correct.

>>32306578
I get Zweilous right, but I always mispronounce Hydreigon.
>>
>>32306570
I still don't understand how to say Suicine correctly.
>>
File: 250px-493Arceus.png (47KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-493Arceus.png
47KB, 250x250px
>Ar-say-oos
>>
>>32306861
swee-coon
>>
>>32306920
How do you even get that from the spelling though. I'm aware that's the official way to say it, but just why
>>
>>32306576
My guess is it probably comes from "quasar." Speaking of that, I used to call it Ray-quay-zar a long time ago in spite of knowing better.
>>
>>32306576
No idea. I just got that from the anime and it stuck. I think Battle Revolution pronounced it with the -quah. Is there an official source for these things?
>>
>>32306561
Arse-e-us isn't even the official pronunciation
it's Ark-e-us
I still say Arse-e-us because of PBR

I think something like Ar-ke-os would be more fitting for an Ancient of Days, but that doesn't even sound like how the name is spelled
>>
>>32306578
Same, along with the rest of the family. Sometimes I'll correct myself mid sentence but I always end up pronouncing it wrong later.
>>
>>32306444
can anyone really blame you for Omastar after the Poke Rap?
>>
File: English_Lop_Rabbit.jpg (80KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
English_Lop_Rabbit.jpg
80KB, 640x426px
Low Punny, despite having always understood that Lopunny is a lop-eared rabbit.
>>
>>32306861
>>32306920
>>32306924
Because it's spelled 'Suicune' and not 'Suicine'?
>>
>mfw people say "high-dray-gun" instead of "high-dry-gun"
>mfw people say "zwy-luss" instead of "tsvy-luss"
>>
>>32306396
When SM first came out I mispronounced Golisopod at first.
I was saying goal-ee-soap-odd instead of goal-eye-soap-odd because I'm retarded
>>
>>32306963
>>32306895
fuck people who say arseus
>>
>>32307074
shit that makes sense with the whole Goliath+Isopod
I've been saying ee too
>>
ray-kway-zuh
>>
>>32307135
kiss my arse
>>
>>32307060
To be fair most English speakers don't really pronounce zwei right when they are counting in German. They say "zwy" not "tsvy." It's not technically the correct German pronunciation, but it's a common enough mispronunciation that it doesn't bother me. But the first one I agree on. Nobody says "dray" when counting in German. It's pronounced "dry" even by people who are English speakers.
>>
>>32307060
>mfw I say "high-dree-gun"
>>
I will never pronounce Dialga "De-al-ga" and I will instead say "Die-al-ga".

Where in the flying, time altering fuck does the "de" come from anyway?
>>
>>32307330
I call it "Hydra-gon"
>>
>>32307348
>mfw no one pronounces it the right way:
>high-dry-gon
>>
>>32307378
I've always said high-dry-gon because the ein, zwei, drei thing is pretty obvious if you know a little German
>>
>>32307345
Because Japanese phonetics, I assume.

I remember reading an interview with some of the creators and they say they do a shit ton of planning to make sure that the names of legendary Pokemon make sense in as many languages as possible, and you can see for yourself that most legendary Pokemon keep their names in most or all translations. I guess part of that rule implies that it's also pronounced the same everywhere?
>>
>>32306895
It would actually be "ark-AY-oos" since it's based on the words Archangel and Deus.
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>32307345
>asking where the "di" in a time-controlling pokemon comes from
>>
>>32306924
suicune
soo-ee-koon
oo+ee = wee
sweekoon
It works like this in a lot of languages. It's mixed english phonetics (the "cune" bit) with a foreign form (the "sui")
This is also why spanish, for example, uses "hu" or "gu" to approximate the "w" sound.
>>
>>32306396
I used to pronounce Slaking as if it rhymes with taking.
>>
>>32307345

In English we have multiple pronunciations for vowels, short and long. In Japanese, and most non romance languages, they use a single pronunciation system. Each vowel has one sound.

The sound in Japanese phonetics correlated with the Latin character I is a long I that sounds like a short E.

It's funny how the dumbass complexities in English make English speakers into shit flinging chimps when confronted with much simpler systems of language.
>>
Ray-qoo-a-tza
>>
This thread is giving me a headache from all the people who know nothing about language.

On subject, I mispronounce "Aegislash." I prefer to use "æ" for the first syllable (the vowel that you find in "cat" or "smack") simply because it makes it sound older, imo. Superficial, but at least it's not confusing.

I also call the "aegis" that it takes its name from with the "æ" sound, and have since before Aegislash was announced, so it's only consistent.
>>
>>32306895
Same except "Ar-see-us". I refuse to pronouce it "Ar-kay-us"
>>
File: Sceptile.png (56KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sceptile.png
56KB, 250x250px
Skeptile
>tfw mispronounced your first ever starter's name for years
>>
>>32306895
Apparently the reason why the official pronunciation is "ar-kee-us" is because the anime dub's former voice director chose to pronounce its name with a hard C, mainly because it sounds like arse when its pronounced with a soft C and the voice director thought that the UK might have a problem with it.

I still pronounce it as "ar-say-oos" anyway.
>>
Ferroseed and Ferrothorn. If you want to torture yourself, look up the official pronunciations.
>>
>>32308364
>the official pronunciations
>check that one Pokedex 3D Pro video with all the pronunciations
>get to ferroseed and ferrothorn
Fuck me, I've been pronouncing it wrong all this time.
>>
>>32308364
I think I lost brain cells
>>
File: 1484456252655.jpg (8KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1484456252655.jpg
8KB, 250x242px
>>32306895
This. And technically, it's not "wrong". His name in Japanese is Arseus. This was the original intended pronunciation. They just changed the pronunciation for it in English because "LOL IT SAYS ARSE TOO MUCH FOR KIDS".
>>
>>32308497
And yet they came up with Cofagrigus.
>>
>>32308502
The official pronunciation for Cofagrigus is "coff-agree-gus".
>>
So is Deino pronounced D-eye-no? (dino, heh)

I still fuck up a few names.
Aegislash: Ae-JISS-lash
Cofagrigus: KO-fuh-GRIHG-uss
Feraligatr: FER-ahl-ih-GUH-tar
Banette: BAN-ett

I'm also not entirely sure how Vibrava is supposed to sound. Or Arcanine, but I've just said arr-KUH-nine for so long I can't stop.

I did find out I've been saying Bisharp wrong for years - I kept saying BYE-sharp instead of BIH-sharp.
>>
>>32307476
The thread seems to imply names that are intentionally pronounced wrong. I pronounce it "Ar-say-oos" just 'cause.
>>
>>32306488
>arceus
I mean, Arceus' pronunciation was only truly revealed in Sun and Moon with Silvally's ability. Before that it had like 3-4 equally official pronunciations.
>>
>>32306519
>ray-quAY-ZUH
Excuse me what the fuck?
>>
>>32308294
>first ever starter
>>
>>32308558
coff-uh-grigg-us
sar-coff-uh-gus
>>
>>32308858
Not them but Ruby Sapphire came out in 2002. Pretty much anyone old enough to read at that time is old enough to be on this board now. I'm pretty shocked how fast the 2000s have flown by desu
>>
File: 1399107039477.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1399107039477.webm
2MB, 853x480px
>>32306396
So I have no problems with the original eeveelutions, probably because I watched a bit of the anime as a first.
FLAreon
vaPOreon
JOLteon

Then we get to the rest...
umbREON
esPEON
leaFEON
glaCEON

It bothered me a lot when I realized and I've been trying to fix it for years.
>mfw zero progress
>>
Sometimes for shits and giggles I'll call Fug Raykwanza"
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.