[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Pokemon and Pokedex SIze

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: Pokemon Numbers.png (383KB, 849x1315px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Numbers.png
383KB, 849x1315px
Thoughts on this?
>>
>lowest genwun in unova
UNOVA CONFIRMED BEST REGION
>>
XY and BW1 were the best. Either have almost all new Pokemon or just go balls out on Pokemon variety. Going in the middle is the worst.
>>
>>32251000
BW2 has the best dex for being amost exactly 50 old and new, plus an equal number from the old gens and Gen 1 not being the most.

The second best are Johto and Alola in theory, as 256 and 302 are good numbers, but both and especially Alola mess it up with distribution, with alola having the added problem of Gen 1 dick sucking.

Kalos' Dex was bloated shit
>>
I know people are gonna give me a LOT of flack for this, but GF seems to be taking this route of quality over quantity in terms of Pokemon as of gen 6. Like, gen 5 had nothing but new Pokemon, which was great, but I feel like there was TOO many, and an awful lot of them are pretty forgettable. That doesn't mean one gen is better than the other, though. What I'm trying to say is

Gen 5
>giant amount of new Pokemon
>quite a few are pretty forgettable
Gen 6 but really more of gen 7
>unforgivably low amount of new Pokemon
>quite a lot of them are pretty memorable

It seems like GF has been pretty set on the second part, so what I'm hoping will happen is that we'll have an extremely large amount of highly memorable Pokemon all around in gen 8 or something.

friendly reminder that I am not trying to make things sound bad because they really aren't; they just gotta keep heading in the right direction until they reach the point of both quality AND quantity in terms of new Pokemon in a generation
>>
>>32251061
The quality over quantity argument doesnt exist, since quality is subjectve. Anyone can think that Unova and Kanto both have the most pokemon, AND the best pokemon, and would have a valid opinion. The only objective thing is we had a lot of mons before, and now we have less.

I personally dont think Gen 6 is memorable at all.

Not to say less has to be bad, My issues are more with how much the new balances with the old in the dex rather than how much new there is
>>
>>32250994
That makes it the worst region you dipshit
>>
>>32251093
(You)
>>
>>32251000
XY's dex was too big (for me)

Bunch of mons that were 1-5% encounters on routes that you only pass once during the story.

Doubly criminal that there were pokemon only available on 5% hordes
>>
>>32251077
oh shit

I legitimately forgot that quality is subjective

I'm sorry
>>
>>32251118
I mean, your post is still a legitimate explanation for why you prefer Gen 6 and 7's new pokemon, but I dont think anyone can speak for GameFreak here

>>32251116
Also, not only more old than new pokemon, but more kanto pokemon than new pokemon. This should not be happening in any game after Johto
>>
>>32250982
BW2 dex had IMHO the best balance between old and new Pokemon

Kalos dex felt too bloated and it had too few new Pokemon. Alola dex on the other hand has a perfect size but still too few new Pokemon.
>>
>>32251017
Couldn't agree with this more. Hoenn dex ain't too bad either.

I'm willing to forgive Kalos as a product of circumstance, though. For something that was marketed as less of a new adventure and more as "Pokémon the 3D experience", it was a smart decision to include as much variety as possible, so that people were able to use most of their favorites. Especially since they pushed particularly hard to get old fans back with that one.

This results in much less of an emphasis on the new native mons (especially with all the focus on Megas), yes, but then again, that sort of identity crisis was a common trait of XY.

Alola, for all its Gen 1 dicksucking, still managed to showcase the new mons a lot better, in no small part thanks to the Totem battles. For how rare they were, I never felt they were pushed aside for previous gen pandering like what happened in XY.
>>
>>32251182
Yeah, I generally agree with this. I do get that XY were more for old fans than modern ones, and I did see many people specifically say "I havent played since Gen 1/2/3 and so most of these are new to me" when talking about those games.
>>
>>32251017
>Johto dex didn't suck gen 1 dick harder than Alola

HOUNDOUR
KANTO
NATIVE
>>
>>32251256
No it didnt.

It was the second game when they didnt know it was gonna be a series, and they wanted you to find new mons in postgame

In Gen 4, Houndour came back to Johto along with everything else
>>
>>32251256
>only two gens
>dex has mons from both of them

Whoa.

Also, I know a lot of people seem to complain about that, but I don't see what's so wrong with continuing to give you something new to catch in Kanto. Even amidst that nostalgia moment, they still took the time to highlight more new mons. That's the opposite of pandering.
>>
The Alola Dex was a mistake
>>
Returning Pokemon wouldn't be that much of a problem if they stop using repetitive common ones like (Wingull and various Gen 1 mons), and instead use ones that are rarer or even more from the previous gens.
>>
>>32251662

This absolutely.

My issue with Alola is that Gen 1 is so fucking overrepresented, and a lot of the ones that aren't Gen 1 have been in several recent dexes, like Pelipper, Garchomp, Weavile, and the like. I appreciate some of the more obscure ones like Lumineon or the fact we haven't seen Primeape or Parasect in a regional dex since Johto, but the focus is always on the same Pokemon most of the time. They need to start using more random shit like Stantler again.

I'm also surprised at how few Gen 4 Pokemon were in XY. It felt like there were loads, and not just because of the Lucario either. And at how many Gen 5 were there, as they felt underrepresented as a whole.

While many of Alola's new mons were rare, it felt like they were more focused on than Kalos mons were back in XY. The smaller dex probably helped this actually - I just wish the representation was more even and that so much wasn't postgame legends, UBs and the like. Take like 40 out of Kanto and split it between the other gens. And the distribution was better in the game. BW2 has a very similar dex size to Alola but distributes most of it better, even with both games having several lines postgame exclusive.
>>
>Gen 8
>450~ mon regional dex
>100 new mons
>50 Kanto
>50 Johto
>50 Hoenn
>50 Sinnoh
>50 Unova
>50 Kalos
>50 Alola
y/n?
>>
>>32252011
Also 28 regional variants. 4 from each previous region.
>>
>>32251718
That's why we need a cold region. That will force to use many unused pokemon.
>>
>>32250982
Alola has the biggest Pokedex.
>>
File: Absol (121).jpg (82KB, 750x630px) Image search: [Google]
Absol (121).jpg
82KB, 750x630px
I just realised Alola only has 52 new mons that aren't legendaries or starters. Kalos has 58.
>>
>>32252102
>I just realized region only has 52 new mons that meet my arbitrary criteria of what a "real" pokemon is thanks to my chronic special snowflake syndrome
>>
>>32252011
>>32252021
>everything must be neat and tidy and equal! brb rearranging my pencil collection
Sounds like some legitimate autism.
>>
How you'd guys feel if a future game just said screw it and include the national dex from the start?
>>
>>32252119
They're mons that are most likely to appear in the regional dex of future regions, anon. Where are you getting the idea of "real" Pokemon from?
>>
>>32250982
johto has 5 gen 4 pokemon?
>>
>>32252120
Of course it wouldn't be that exact. It'd preferably be in around 40~60 each region and total to 450, more or less. Basically what Kalos is now, but with less Kanto and including Kalos and Alola.
>>
>>32252161
Opee's talking about evolutions, like Ambipom and Honchkrow.

>>32252139
I wouldn't really mind, but it doesn't make much sense in-game logic wise.

>>32252040
We already have Sinnoh, but another cold region wouldn't be too bad.
>>
Pokemon designs have been inconsistent and sub-par in gen 5, 6 and 7.
>>
BW2 and XY had the best Pokedex because of their sheer diversity. I also liked how they had certain Pokemon that were usually only available later on in the game could be caught near the very start (like Magby in BW2, Axew in XY, etc.). There is no reason why the game should stop me from using over half the Pokedex in a normal playthrough without having to transfer/trade from other games. I'm also fine with their only being 70-80 new Pokemon each generation, although the encounter rate between new and old Pokemon should be about 60/40. They can even have non-native Pokemon be exclusive to certain features, like how there were DexNav exclusive Pokemon in ORAS.

Although it is worth noting that mega-evolutions and Alola variants are practically new Pokemon and if you include them the count goes to about 100 new Pokemon for gen 6 and gen 7.
>>
>>32251106 aren't
(He) is right, tho.
>>
>>32252139
Pointless. Anything in the National Dex could just be in a new regional dex, and you can trade over any pokemon anyways.

>>32252119
fucking retard, if you remove the legendaries and starters you get what pokemon are generally available to you to actually encounter during a game.

>>32252011
450 is too big unless they actually work hard on making that distribution good, or we have a really big region.

>>32251662
>>32251718
This. Another of ALola's prolems is just how much you see stuff like Fearow and Wingull. Especially odd when many obvious choices never show up like Solrock and Lunatone, Bellossom and Tropius.
>>
>>32252536
No (You) arent. Not slurping off the Kanto Dex's dick is not a negative
>>
>>32250994
in case you didn't know gen 5 is literally kanto designs 2.0 edition
>>
>>32252593
....so?
>>
So we went from balanced games with a lot of new Pokémon with only rather 30ish-40ish of each old generation, to games introducing only a few new Pokémon and having a lot of gen 1 Pokémon.
>>
BW2 and ORAS are the best.
Perfect balance between local non-native pokémon, and even between the non-native pokémon distribution per region.
XY were kinda shit desu, but the worst of all of them is Alola Imo.
>>
>>32251061
>I know people are gonna give me a LOT of flack for this, but GF seems to be taking this route of quality over quantity in terms of Pokemon as of gen 6.

You wont get flack for being retarded enough to believe there's an inherent correlation beween quality and quantity, as that's actually a big cultiral problem. And there's a lot of people on /vp/ who think the same way. But yeah, that's still wrong. What gf is doing is adding less new mons to increase the total count as less as possible because their target audience aka nostalgiafags have trouble with numbers higher than 251.

>Like, gen 5 had nothing but new Pokemon, which was great, but I feel like there was TOO many, and an awful lot of them are pretty forgettable.
Forgettable to you maybe, gen 5 was great and it has way more good designs than gen 6 and 7.
>Gen 6 but really more of gen 7
>>unforgivably low amount of new Pokemon
>>quite a lot of them are pretty memorable
And two of gen 6's mons are memorable for being thw two worst designs in the fanchise.

>friendly reminder that I am not trying to make things sound bad because they really aren't; they just gotta keep heading in the right direction until they reach the point of both quality AND quantity in terms of new Pokemon in a generation
They achieved that before gen 6. Nostalgiafags told them otherwise.
>>
>>32252011
100 new mons would be better than these last 2 gens but not good.
>>
>>32252407
>>/9gag/
>>
>>32250982
>Gen1 beat RBY as a kid
>Gen2 beat Gold 2 times
>Gen 3 played emerald like 4separate times but never beat it because it sucked
>Gen 4 beat Pearl and Platinum
>Gen 5 Beat Black 1 never finished White 2
>Gen 6 Loved X and completed the pokedex
>Gen 7 having trouble finishing Moon

what does this say about me?
>>
File: 2381620.jpg (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
2381620.jpg
51KB, 250x250px
>>32251093
>not pandering to Kanto makes it the worst

You truly are the cancer.
>>
>>32253199
100 new mons is the best number
>>
>>32253851
For an even game before gen 6 maybe.

But after two dissapointments its way too low. Keep in mind gen 8 has to have 238 new mons for the average to return to gen 5s. Now, that will be a lot for a single gen(granted, gf themselves got into this mess) but 100 is still low, at least now.
>>
>>32253894
Im not disappointed in the nymbers we've gotten. Kalos' problem wasnt 72 new mons, it was having a Dex of 456 when only 69 of them were new.

Alola's problem isnt 80+ new mons, it was having that where almost 20 of them are legendaries. Between 80 and 100 is my ideal for the rest of the franchise
>>
I keep seeing people mentioning Unova's or Kalos's regional dexes. What about Sinnoh, you dumbasses? Sinnoh's dex in Platinum is just as good as Unova's in BW2.
>>
>>32254287
Platinum's dex is a whole 90 smaller than BW2 (meaning less diversity), but the real issue is the lack of balanced type distribution that BW2 did so well. Platinum has hardly any fire, hardly any ice (despite there being snow routes), but tons of water. Also I get triggered by how the newly added Pokemon come after the legendaries. Platinum's dex was pretty good but you can't beat BW2.
>>
>>32251718
>expect every island to be a unique and varied biome
>be completely wrong
>>
>>32254287
Sinnoh's Dex doesnt even have all the Pokemon from Sinnoh.
>>
>>32251718
>>32254920
the amount of overlap is just ridiculous though
>>
>>32253894
>100 is still low
I hope you're looking forward to when GF inevitably adds even less than that.
>>
>>32254841
B2W2's Dex was excellently designed from a newgenner's perspective. However, it came before people started recognizing how integral Gen I was to the franchise. As such, the Eeveelutions and Lucario are the only true "megastar" Pokémon to be in the dex (or, if you want to stretch things, Arcanine, Tyranitar and Metagross), and you have fewer Kanto Pokémon than Hoenn ones.

They really should have added Pikachu, the franchise mascot, to the Dex, but they were obviously leaving it out again so people would be more welcoming towards it in XY. But even without it, they could have added some iconic postgame Kanto Pokémon to the dex, like Gyarados, Dragonite, Alakazam, Gengar (not catchable in B2W2 but it's on Shauntal's team and in BW1 White Forest), etc.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.