[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Post pokemon whose appeal you never understood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

File: dude in a suit.png (578KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dude in a suit.png
578KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>32243120
Many fighting-types are humanoids, also Blaziken is the best Fire/Fighting starter.
>>
File: image.png (225KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
225KB, 600x600px
>>32243161
>Many fighting-types are humanoids
How does that add to its appeal? It just makes Blaziken look like a huge leap from Combusken (and uglier).

Also pic related for thread topic. As much as I like Sceptile, it just looks really bland.
>>
File: IMG_0684.png (481KB, 711x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0684.png
481KB, 711x400px
>>
File: EDGEFOX.png (136KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
EDGEFOX.png
136KB, 475x475px
> "The names McBladepaw......Edgefox McBladepaw..."
> *smokes cigarette cooly*
>>
>>32243120
It's design philosophy is closer to Dragon Ball Z than to Pokemon while not completely straying off from its mother series (i.e. It still looks like a Pokemon but you could easily insert it in any other shonen series). It's quite obvious why it became so popular so fast. They've been trying to replicate it ever since to no avail. Greninja is the closest attempt but it still falls kinda short in comparison.
>>
>>32243269
>It's quite obvious why it became so popular so fast.
>Greninja is the closest attempt but it still falls kinda short in comparison.
That's subjective. Greninja is still several times more popular than Blaziken(not even the most popular gen 3 starter, just got pushed by Gamefreak more).
>>
>>32243284
From personal experience, I remember talking with my friends about Blaziken when it first came out in the anime, fighting Charizard and whatnot. We're talking about every single kid in early Middle School suddenly thinking that Charizard, the default "awesome" Pokemon, was a shitty mon in comparison to this new Bruce Lee bird. The only two Pokemon that I've seen pull off the same response with the new generations of kids are Lucario and Greninja, hence why they are so shilled by GF.
>>
>>32243120
The swords of justice or whatever they're called
>>
File: 1477028334684.png (11KB, 279x380px) Image search: [Google]
1477028334684.png
11KB, 279x380px
I think it's a bit over hyped. Neat idea and all but I don't get why everyone loses their shit over it.
>>
>>32243195
It's a large green lizard that has sharp leaves. How do you NOT get its appeal?
>>
>>32243361
unique typing, cute design, cool ability
>>
>>32243195
I want to fuck her
>>
File: 1418308350-29692_max-1.jpg (250KB, 1261x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418308350-29692_max-1.jpg
250KB, 1261x720px
>>32243195
I think the simplicity is what makes Sceptile so effective, personally. Absolute master class design.

On the other hand I will never understand anyone who likes one of these abominations.
>>
Just Lucario really. I can see the appeal most designs try to make. But Lucario tries to be a hardass and just looks goofy and fails entirely.
>>
>>32243361
It's nice when a single stager cutemon ends up being good.
>>
>>32243373
>red stripe that looks slapped on
>tail just looks like a tree glued onto its back
>just a bunch of decorations thrown on with no sense of harmony to the design
>Generic grass lizard that pales in comparison to Blaziken and Swampert in both inspiration and design
>even Grovyle does the 'cool grass lizard' thing better while having a more streamlined design
>>
>>32243415
I probably would have liked them more if they werent starters. I know It makes no sense. I also think samurott was supposed to be the "blaziken/greninja" of gen5 but they changed their mind, maybe because they couldnt come up with a design that was convincing enough. I agree that its common from Pokémon to completely change After evolution (wartortle charmeleon etc) , but in Dewotts case It seems stranger than usual
>>
File: 306.png (203KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
306.png
203KB, 431x431px
>>32243120
>>32243195
These really shouldn't be hard to understand. They look fucking cool. That's it.
Blaziken is 6′ 3″ bipedal chicken with fiery red color that kicks things. And its leg catch on fire. It's arms shoot fire. And it knows martial arts. All of that is pretty fucking cool.
Sceptile is a bipedal lizard. That alone is cool. Then it has a tree for its tail, has blades made of leaves on its body, as a lizard, it can climb walls and is known to jump around trees like a fucking ninja. This is all pretty fucking cool. These should be obvious things.

>>32243251
Can't say for sure, but I always assumed people liked its design for having a nice color scheme, a mask giving it a "cool" look, the shit involving Aura making it seem like an intelligent thing, Aura Sphere being just Kamehameha in ball form and its overall calm look, as opposed to other popular Pokemon like Zard or Sceptile, who look more like an angry dragon and a smug lizard.
>>
File: 1409018860241.png (77KB, 500x226px) Image search: [Google]
1409018860241.png
77KB, 500x226px
>>32243441
Oh boy, I love this argument

>Red stripe looks slapped on
Consistent across every stage of the design. Pokemon with markings are not a new thing and exist in every gen, unless you hate the "random" yellow stripe on Ekans' neck too.

>tail just looks like a tree glued onto its back
This argument is so outdated it's hilarious. It's a raptor tail with spikes that cause it to evoke a pine tree. It fully flexes like a regular tail and merges perfectly with the design, as a large tail is needed for a large, FAST bipedal dinosaur to run flat out- the arrow-like arrayment of the spines would even make it increase Sceptile's aerial mobility.
>just a bunch of decorations thrown on with no sense of harmony to the design
You're going to have to specify which if you want to be taken seriously, friendo.
>Generic grass lizard that pales in comparison to Blaziken and Swampert in both inspiration and design
Blaziken is literally a Shamo chicken with arms- Swampert is literally a strong axolotl - Sceptile is literally a prehistoric leaf-tailed gecko. All have the same level of inspiration.
>even Grovyle does the 'cool grass lizard' thing better while having a more streamlined design
This is my favorite part, because it's objectively wrong. For example, the large leaf on Grovyle's head is "gued onto" it, and is a pointless "decoration," to use your terminology. Grovyle lacks thumbs or even enough fingers to gain gription, a large flaw in a tree-climbing species. Most of all, in place of a tail it has two leaves "glued on" to its ass, which serve no purpose except to say "it's a Grass type" and would prevent it from balancing while running flat out like Sceptile can. In terms of design, Grovyle's objectively the worst of the Treecko line- its popularity stems from PMD rather than any real quality.

Which is not to say it's a BAD design, it's still well above bottom-tier Grass types like Leafeon.
>>
>>32243485
>calm look,
Lucario (and Mega) always look constipated to me, not calm.
>>
>>32243493
That's why it's not your favorite.
>>
File: IMG_0021.png (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0021.png
48KB, 250x250px
Never got the appeal of Breloom. Probably never will.

Yes I know about the stretchy arms. I dont care. I dont care about Dhalsim or whatever that guy's name was. Yes I know what it's based on--and no, I actually think it's a clusterfuck of ideas thrown into a blender.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (13KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
13KB, 320x180px
I never got the appeal, it looks so off compared to Zubat and Golbat.
>>
File: 102384-1301051510.png (2KB, 56x55px) Image search: [Google]
102384-1301051510.png
2KB, 56x55px
>>32243775
Amen. Fucking ruined a classic line. People bitch about gen 4's crossgen evos but it's gen 2's that were the real shitheaps.
>>
>>32243780
While I wasn't a fan of how different it looked compared to Golbat, it is essentially the same thing just with more of a ninja aesthetic.

Rhydon to Rhyperior/Electabuzz to Electavire are way more severe imo.
>>
File: 1454495198285.gif (2MB, 400x187px) Image search: [Google]
1454495198285.gif
2MB, 400x187px
>>32243415
Serperior is unique for a starter for being the first and only serpentine one. The yellow patterns does seem a bit forced, but isn't enough to tarnish the design completely.

Samurott...gif is self explanatory. And people who didn't adore Oshawott and Dewott's designs as much would probably have a preference for the final form as well. Which is why its the biggest "base-breaker" of the starters.

Emboar is a joke though. Unless your a Zeldafag. Its the living embodiment of unneeded redundancy.
>>
>>32243787
What ninja aesthetic? I'm not seeing it.
>>
It's Blaziken for me as well. I feel like it's just really weird looking. It barely looks like a chicken, but also barely looks human. It's just some weird man-bird thing. I don't like the long "hair", I don't like the "flares" on it's legs. It's just entirely "ow the edge" to me.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.