[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Original Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_o7hfeboum61rd6sdio1_500.png (124KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7hfeboum61rd6sdio1_500.png
124KB, 500x281px
so there was a thread discussing Pokemon not based on real world subjects
Magmar and Electabuzz were never answered
help, its been keeping me from sleep
>>
Electabuzz is an Oni and Magmar is a medieval salamander
>>
File: 002[1].gif (11KB, 214x225px) Image search: [Google]
002[1].gif
11KB, 214x225px
Oni have horns and are often depicted wearing tiger-skin clothing.

Electabuzz has horns, and tiger-like stripes and a tail.
>>
Magmar and Nidoking/queen aren't based on anything specific. Same with the Bulbasaur line to some extent because the whole point is that no one knows what the fuck it is.
>>
Klefki is based on a set of keys!
>>
>>32238486
The Bulbasaur line is based on creatures like the Dimetrodon. Plant instead of a sail.
>>
The Magmar line's Japanese names reference birds known as boobies, even if the beaks are their only bird-like traits.

And Magmortar drops the beak, making it more a personification of fire itself.
>>
>>32238501
Except it has no tail, a flatter face, and ears. It doesn't look like anything.
>>
>>32237816
>Electabuzz is likely based on the Japanese oni that was a horned ogre that wore tiger skin and was sometimes depicted as a god of lightning and thunder. Its tail looks like that of a tiger.
>Magmar seems to be a combination of a booby or duck with a mythical salamander of fire. However, the tail and the spikes on its back resemble those of an iguana. It is possibly overall based on a Karura, depicted in Japanese Hindu-Buddhist mythology as a birdlike, fire-breathing creature, similar to how its counterpart Electabuzz is based on an oni.

I already said it, you can NOT create something not based on stuff from the real world.
>>
>>32238486
Magmar is just a booby with a fire motif and that weird reptilian kaiju body so many Gen I mons had, hence its Jap name.

Nidoking and Queen are literally just Baragon. They aren't original.
>>
Bulbsaur line. They're just plant monsters that don't resemble any particular animal. Even their Japanese names point this out.

Fushigidane (Bulbasaur) - Means "mysterious bulb", which also means "isn't it strange?"

Fushigisou (Ivysaur) - Means "strange grass", as well as "it seems strange)

Fushigibana (Venusaur) - Means "strange flower"

The Pokedex in Bulbasaur's debut episode in the anime also says that researches are unsure whether to classify it as a plant or an animal.

Being strange is the whole point of the Bulbasaur line. No one knows what exactly they're supposed to be.
>>
File: luluco.png (63KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
luluco.png
63KB, 220x220px
>>32237816
what would be luluco's team?
>>
>>32238579
>no one knows what exactly they're supposed to be
Except as you said, it's a plant monster. Its plant is clearly based on a real plant and its monster features aren't original either (be generic/non-specifical doesn't mean be original)
>>
>>32238611
>monster features aren't original

Yes they are. If the combination of parts looks like nothing specific then it's original. There is no creature in real life that is reptilian yet also has pointed ears, warts(?) and no tail.
>>
>>32238569
>are literally just Baragon

Oh, it's this retarded headcanonfag again.

Making a fictional spiked monster doesn't automatically mean it must be based on another fictional spiked monster.
>>
File: GMK_Baragon[1].jpg (181KB, 760x497px) Image search: [Google]
GMK_Baragon[1].jpg
181KB, 760x497px
>>32238788

Nidoking looks almost exactly like him though.

Baragon is also known for his burrowing ability (which would explain Nidoking/queen's Ground typing).
>>
>>32238774
>if you copy parts of different stuff, the result is a totally original thing!
Nope.
>>
>>32238513
That's like looking at differences between Rhyhorn and a Rhino.

Rhyhorn has no tail, that big flat area on its forehead, and no ears.
>>
>>32238822
Copy parts of what stuff?

>OMG THIS FICTIONAL CREATURE HAS CLAWS AND EARS SO I-IT DOESN'T COUNT AS BEING ORIGINAL

You're basically saying nothing can be original ever.

>>32238827
Except Rhyhorn you can actually tell is a fictional rhino immediately because of its body shape and horn. Rhino tails aren't as noticeable as reptile tails and the face shape is still vaguely the same.
>>
>>32238928
>You're basically saying nothing can be original ever.
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's IMPOSSIBLE for humans create something actually original, it's like trying to imagine new colors. You simply can't, no matter how much you try it.
>>
>>32238928
>Except Rhyhorn you can actually tell is a fictional rhino immediately because of its body shape and horn. Rhino tails aren't as noticeable as reptile tails and the face shape is still vaguely the same.

See, that's a matter of association. I was very familiar with zoology and prehistoric creatures growing up, so seeing the synapsid inspiration came easier for me.

Dimetrodon is just a more famous example that suggests where the idea to put something on its back came from, but there are others in the synapsid group that look closer to Venusaur, e.g. nailing the shorter tail and less narrow snout.
>>
>>32238940
But that's wrong. An original creature is still original even if it has parts from other creatures. We are asking if the thing as a whole is original. Not parts.
>>
>>32238817
So Rhydon must be based on Baragon too right? Get your stupid headcanon out of here.
>>
>>32239046
>being that retard
Then you can say every single pokemon is totally original because "as a whole" isn't an exact copy of something.
>>
>>32238583
Clefairy (it's star shaped and an alien)
Light blue minior
Elgyem (An alien, again)
Gumshoosh (Represents her dad as a detective)
Something vaguely gun related (Toucannon, Kingdra or A-Golem, though none of these are cute enough for her.
LuvdiscBecause the pure love of a middle-school girl is the most empty, useless thing in the entire universe
>>
>>32238511
>even if the beaks are their only bird-like traits
Forgot the boobies.
>>
>>32237816
magmar is a butthead
>>
For the anons that are talking about the Nido family's origin, is it really that hard to see that they are based on rabbits? And that Nidoking/Queen are just bigger versions of their predecessors, like most Gen I Pokemons are?
>>
>>32239148
>Then you can say every single pokemon is totally original because "as a whole" isn't an exact copy of something.

No you can't. Caterpie is very obviously just a cartoon caterpillar. Toucannon is very obviously just a cartoon toucan. Froakie is very obviously just a cartoon frog. Bulbasaur isn't a cartoon anything. It's ambiguous as fuck and thus original.

>>32241424
>is it really that hard to see that they are based on rabbits?

Yes because rabbits don't have lizard tails, claws, and a bunch of poisonous spikes.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.