[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the ds era was so based?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: 1412418576669.png (862KB, 1339x288px) Image search: [Google]
1412418576669.png
862KB, 1339x288px
Why the ds era was so based?
>>
>>32211865
Everything was a lot simpler, and I feel like GF didnt try to make the new technology for the ds the main focus of their games.

Granted it did give us Diamond and Pearl, which are possibly the worst games in the series.
>>
>>32211895
>and I feel like GF didnt try to make the new technology for the ds the main focus of their games
That hasn't happened on the 3DS either.

>Granted it did give us Diamond and Pearl, which are possibly the worst games in the series.
This meme is so dumb, and it usually comes from people who praise Platinum, despite it bringing next to no actual improvement over Diamond/Pearl. Platinum is good, but it's because it had a good base to begin with.
>>
>>32211865
It was when they had the most passion

>>32212452
.improved speed
>improved plot
>new battle facility
>improved pokedex (from 151 to 201)
>improved aesthetics
>no actual improvement
>>
The only bad game in this image is Pokemon Dash. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>32211865
I don't know, but I miss it. I'm getting the feeling that Pokemon will never be as good as it was in the DS era. And this is coming from someone who started with RBY at a competent age.
>>
>>32213078
>improved speed
Slightly, and even then, it could and should have been in Diamond/Pearl to begin with.

>improved plot
You must be kidding.

>new battle facility
The lazy way it got recycled in HGSS just proves it could have not existed and nothing would have changed. I bet you would be justifying and praising Platinum while saying Diamond and Pearl are shit even if the new facilities weren't there.

>improved pokedex (from 151 to 201)
Not exactly an improvement, and it made early postgame annoying too.

>improved aesthetics
They added some snow and recolored a few sprites, definitely an improvement, yeah.
Even if it was more than that, it would be irrelevant, graphics don't matter.

Just like the previous game they were purposefully butchered so that you'd feel justified for having bought the same game once again. It took them about 5 minutes to develop Platinum.
>>
>>32211865
I feel like during this time, gamefreak was more focused on gameplay rather than looking "next gen". because while S/M/Or/As/X/Y look aesthetically pleasing and focus a lot more on how the game looks with new features, it lacks anything that would keep theplayer coming back after the main storyline was done.
>>
>>32213196
Nice shitpost.
>>
>>32213099
Pokemon Conquest sucked =T
>>
>>32213224
The original versions are shit and praising third version is asking to get scammed. Move on.
>>
>>32213196
>acknowledge the improvements
>t-they d-don't count :(
Just admit you were wrong and move on
>>
>>32211895
>and I feel like GF didnt try to make the new technology for the ds the main focus of their games.

You say that but going back to play it reveals how much the touchscreen was really used throughout gen 4. Just like most early DS games they tried to force it in.
>>
>>32213239
Where did I say they don't count? The only actual improvements in your list are the slightly improved speed and the new battle facilities that do make the game better, but nothing would have changed if they weren't there.
>>
>>32213234
>praising a third version for fixing the problems is asking to get scammed.
I don't understand why you got the game in the first place. By Platinum you should have known what third versions were about, and Platinum did what it set out to do well.
>>
>>32213261
Why do you refuse to acknowledge the expanded dex as a positive? It gave you more than two Fire type to choose from and actually made the cross-gen evolutions accessible during the main game. It makes no sense.
>>
>>32213078
>.improved speed
I wouldn't call it improved seeing as the difference is only noticable to the trained eye outside of surfing. Not to mention larger cities like Hearthome now drop frames.
>>improved plot
Eh, it was pretty much the same with Giratina at the end.
>>new battle facility
Could you call that an improvement when it was worse, had less content and variety than the previous iteration of the frontier?
>>improved pokedex (from 151 to 201)
Number 1.
>>improved aesthetics
It made everything look more muddy in the long run. And while it was a good thing that they added indicators of the deeper parts of the swamps it just made it look strange.

There's only one thing it improved upon.
Sinnoh sucked dude.
>>
>>32213265
The problems that were purposefully there so that you would ask for a third version and buy the game again. Add to that that third version change next to nothing and it's pretty much just a slightly altered new version of the same game. As I said, Platinum isn't bad, but Diamond and Pearl aren't bad either, because they're the same game. There are a lot of people on this board who think Diamond and Pearl are the worst games in the series while Platinum is the best one, which makes no sense. That's what I'm complaining about.
>>
>>32211865
>2 good games and 2 decent sequels
yea a whopping 2 games for normal people
>>
>>32213302
>Battle facility had less content
Yeah tell me that's a valid point after trying to get gold for battle palace.
>>
>>32213305
I kind of agree with you then. I don't think DP is nearly as bad as most people here call it.
However I do think the improvement where significant and makes it clearly the better version. Even if you think some of the additions should have been in DP, or that they appeared in later titles doesn't change that.

Platinum is a great remaster, but if your problem is that you find a full-priced remaster after a year a bit cheap then I can understand that.
>>
>>32213261
>nothing would have improved if it weren't for the improvements!
Really fires those neurons
>>
>>32213360
You do realise that even removing the palace that would leave you with 6 unique facilities right?
As opposed to Gen 4's 5 that were essentially a copy and paste of the tower with some kind of throwaway or easily avoidable gimmick.
>>
>>32213397
The Pike and Pyramid are the only ones that wouldn't fall under "essentially a copy and paste of the tower with some kind of throwaway or easily avoidable gimmick."
I agree that Emerald's BF is superior, but Platinum's wasn't bad and in terms of variety it is better than anything we have gotten after it.
>>
>>32213233
I bet you only finished the main story, faggot.
>>
>>32211865
The last good era of Pokemon. Things just haven't been good since the transition to the 3DS.

I wish I had never transferred my teams over to XY.
>>
>>32213443
>The Pike and Pyramid are the only ones that wouldn't fall under "essentially a copy and paste of the tower with some kind of throwaway or easily avoidable gimmick."
You're forgetting about the arena, dome and factory.
Arena being a score based mode featuring predominantly tanky mon and if you didn't finish a battle in a certain amount of turns you would be judged on your performance to determine the win.
The Dome was a tournament format and believe it or not the flavor text was actually useful in knowing what was coming up.
And the Factory is the factory.

>but Platinum's wasn't bad and in terms of variety
Okay so we have
The arcade which is a tower style progression facility where the gimmick is a roulette table that the player could easily ignore or push negative effects on to the opponent with a few timed presses.
The Castle was yet another tower progression style with it's own point system that could be used for healing or items. Very easy to rack up points to save later on.
Then there's the Factory which is the same as it was previously.
And the Hall which is just regular 1v1 battles where you get to choose the type.

That's not a lot of variation between them anon.

>it is better than anything we have gotten after it
Black and White 2 says hi.
PWT offered three different modes of play on it's own Type, Mix and Rentals.
Then there were the labyrinths White Treehollow and Black Tower which both featured randomly generated mazes to find and defeat Gate and Boss trainers that get progressively harder the further you go in.
>>
>>32213196
>improved pokedex isn't an approvement

Nice b8 m8 made me reply 10/10
>>
Diamond and Pearl holds a special place in my heart for being the first Pokemon games I got fucking hyped for, all the ones prior, I was just kind of given them as presents, or emulated them, but diamond and pearl man got me fucking hype.

>tfw don't care enough to lurk serebii or the pokemon website for every new piece of news
>watching subtitled and raw episodes of the diamond and pearl anime on youtube
>watching the livestream of the event in new york where they gave away copies left and right just for being there or answering questions right or wrong
>having a shitton of legendaries because I was the only one at school or played the gamecube games
>getting an action replay later
>>
>>32211865
Because DS itself was the GOAT handheld system
>>
>>32212452
>This meme is so dumb, and it usually comes from people who praise Platinum, despite it bringing next to no actual improvement over Diamond/Pearl. Platinum is good, but it's because it had a good base to begin with.
So much this my nigga.
It's intollerable how for this people DP is the worst game but Platinum somehow it's the best. Simply DP, while not being brilliant neither, was good enough to give us platinum, but DP was the basis.
>>
>>32212452
I have the same problem. But with Emerald and RS. Honestly though I understand since the third version has more content and is obvious the better option
>>
>>32213633
The Dome is literally the Battle Tower but with detailed team preview.. It changed up the battles far less than any of the Platinum facilities.
The fact that you think the Dome is more unique than say the Arcade, Castle or Hall is just ridiculous.
>PWT offered three different modes of play on it's own Type, Mix and Rentals.
Type and Mix just changes the opponents you're facing, there are no other change. I find it odd that you're giving credit for rentals here but when Platinum brought it back it didn't matter. How on earth can you call this good variety but say that Platinum had none?
White Treehollow/Black Tower were fun but they offered little in terms of actual challenge due to the levels being set. I have never in my life heard of a person having to breed a team to beat them.
>>
>>32211865
Because the DS sold like crazy.
>>
>>32215287
You should probably do your self a favour an read up. As they say knowing is half the battle.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Frontier_(Generation_III)

>The fact that you think the Dome is more unique than say the Arcade, Castle or Hall is just ridiculous.
Thant's because it is anon. The mere fact that it has a different progression is enough to set it apart let alone the other factors.

>Type and Mix just changes the opponents you're facing
Okay no, for starters Mix is swapping your mon with a chosen mon from the opponent or in the case of Triples two mon.
Type is exactly as stated choosing a specific type to go up against however the player is also restricted to said types. Meaning the player can't rely on simple type advantage and STAB for an easy kill as you would normally.

> find it odd that you're giving credit for rentals here but when Platinum brought it back it didn't matter.
You do realise that the point was that in one facility BW2 has just as much content and more variety in modes as Platinum's Frontier right?

>White Treehollow/Black Tower were fun but they offered little in terms of actual challenge due to the levels being set
Yes levels that started at 50 and went all the way up to about 80 featuring trainers with sets that are on the same level as say the battle facilities. Also it was designed to be more of a war of attrition as opposed to a battle facility challenge which is why a lot of the mon there tended to be tanky requiring multiple hits.
In other words it was meant to wear you down before you found a doctor or the gate trainer.

>I have never in my life heard of a person having to breed a team to beat them.
That's because you don't need to. You've never needed to breed for battle facilities, bar the palace, especially for generations prior to 6 given the breeding mechanics
>>
>>32215604
>Thant's because it is anon. The mere fact that it has a different progression is enough to set it apart let alone the other factors.
It just let's you know a bit about your opponent and their pokémon, it doesn't affect the battles in any way. Unlike the actions you do between battle in Arcade, Castle or Hall.
At least I hope that's what you're referring to by progression, and not the tournament coat, which is literally meaningless.

I'll give you the Mix, I had forgotten that one.

You do realise that the point was that in one facility BW2 has just as much content and more variety in modes as Platinum's Frontier right?
Both have Battle Factory clone.
PWT has Mix and Type, which the first one being fairly unique the other one just being a clause.
Platinum BF then has Arcade, Castle and Hall that all put their own spin on the Tower.
How is that "more variety" in terms of battle modes?

Again, as I said White Treehollow/Black City is a fun side quest but it is a shitty battle facility given that it's just based around level. Reminder that the first three levels are literally lower than the champions' which you are required to beat before getting there.
>That's because you don't need to. You've never needed to breed for battle facilities, bar the palace, especially for generations prior to 6 given the breeding mechanics
Most people that actually intend to get gold medals/stamps/whatever do. Sure they might not breed 5IV perfect mons, but getting a proper nature and at the very least having to drop your in-game team is the standard. For White Treehollow/Black Tower most just finish up the rest of the post-game and then run through it easily.
>>
>>32215739
>Thant's
>>
>>32213196
kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>32213302
Sinnoh is the best region, you fucking cunt.
>>
>>32217444
>Sinnoh is the best region
trips confirm
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.