/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Pokémon had level design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

File: Ice Path.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ice Path.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Remember when Pokémon had level design?
>>
>>32107843
nope
>>
Yes
Even Kalos was better than Alola's level design
>>
>>32107843
Me neither.
>>
I can clear ice path in no time now campared to my 8 year old self who took whole days to figure it out.
>>
>>32107843
No
>>
>>32107856
Probably shitposting but it's not incorrect, sadly.
>>
>>32107852
>>32107866
>>32107871

>it's a older pokemon games had shit puzzles so new pokemon games shouldn't have puzzles at all episode
>>
>"hey I bet this volcano area is going to be pretty cool to explo-"
>get warped to the top
>"hey I bet going through this ice mountain to get to the pokemon league will be kind of lon-"
>it's practically a straight path
>>
>>32107895
>"hey I bet ultra space will be as cool as distortion world"
>it's literally just a small, empty corridor
>>
>>32107894
But anon none of the games have had good puzzles, so your argument is irrelevant.
>>
>>32107917
This was probably the biggest disappointment for me.
>>
>>32107940
You gotta remember sun and moon were made to be casual as fuck dude. I mean a monkey with no arms casual.
>>
>>32107843
It never have good level desing
>>
>>32108089
>new Pokémon games were made to be casual
Do people still believe this meme? It's pretty obvious they just want to release less content sooner and get more money, so they just keep saying "lol smartphones" as an excuse to avoid people getting angry at them.
>>
Ice and Strength puzzles are probably my favorite puzzles. I want the next game to have something like the Ice Path but way harder and way longer. It can be optional so GF doesn't alienate the precious casuals.
>>
>>32108191
>>>32108089 (You)
>>new Pokémon games were made to be casual
>Do people still believe this meme? It's pretty obvious they just want to release less content sooner and get more money, so they just keep saying "lol smartphones" as an excuse to avoid people getting angry at them.

Its been stated multiple times sun and moon were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why fan games are becoming harder than the mainstream games. People are becoming stupider and lazier.
If you want difficulty its not gonna be found in game. Its gonna be online vs other people in battles.
>>
>>32108333
I don't want difficulty, I want features that have at least been a series standard.
In a game with the catchphrase "gotta catch em all" or something like that they have removed a fucking bestiary.
>>
>>32108358
They don't use this catchphrase anymore and like anon said they were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator
>>
>>32108358
If gamefreak gave a single shit every game after crystal would have tried to keep puzzles interesting. Instead the opted for just removing them over time.
I expect the next games to be even more of a snoozefest strait line to each badge just to make things simpler. Every time you progress down the line a cutscene will play to make you think somethings happening.
>>
I wouldnt be so mad at gamefreaks level design choices if they at least wanted to have some simblance of features they used to have.
But when a free latios was just givin to the player in oras that really killed those dreams.
When a free lucario is just gifted to you that killed those dreams.
When the catchrate for lunalla and solgaleo was raised as high as possible. You get the point.
>>
>>32107843
>Boulder -> hole
Truly amazing.
>>
>>32108541
And yet it's still better than anything from the past two generations.
>>
>>32108541
That's a nice description of the Tapu temples, I've gotta remember that one.
>>
>>32108198
Same. I want Zelda-like dungeons.
>>
>>32107843
literally my mom's bootleg sokoban to justify tedious HMs
>>
>>32108358
Yeah i too miss being forced to remove mons from my game for some fucktarded reason.
>>
>>32107917
distortion world had nothing in it
>>
File: shit.png (118KB, 253x347px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
118KB, 253x347px
>>32107843
Yes. I don't really miss it though. I never really cared at all about these. It was nice when I finally managed to complete a puzzle, it was satisfying, but the puzzles themselves were mind numbingly boring. There's nothing fun about being stopped from the adventure to look around in a room for boulders to push in a hole. While being annoyed by random encounters. It was the most infuriating and boring thing. The only puzzles I remember enjoying is probably Distortion World, which was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing that again, but I hope the rest stays dead.
>>
>>32108333
babby's first 4chan reply
>>
>>32108333
>implying fan games haven't always been harder
>implying pokemon hasn't always been casual
it's called growing up, and just because your tard kid brain couldn't handle a few rocks back then doesn't make it any harder
>>
>>32110860
>>
>>32107843
some were fun but, for fuck's sake, this is not Zelda.
In Zelda you don't have to fight an enemy every 3 steps you take while you push a block.
And you don't have to carry five different HMs because you have to care about moving rock, breaking rocks, lighting up the room, crossing waters or going up a waterfall.
If they want to make good puzzles they should at least have the mercy to put them in rooms without random encounters.
The house in ruby/sapphire where you have to solve the puzzles was fun, but it was turned into shit in the remakes.
>>
File: enough, co.png (911KB, 860x1006px) Image search: [Google]
enough, co.png
911KB, 860x1006px
>>32110869
I love how you use Emerald instead of RS only when it's convenient for you.
And how you conveniently assume a player leaves the Exp.Share on.
And how for some reason you compare Cyrus and Archie instead of Archie and Archie.
Also you can get Lati@s in it at the exact same moment you get it in ORAS.
>>
>>32110869
>le you can't say turn off the easy mode because it doesn't say easy mode
Gee, what a solid and objective picture. The pic also compares 1st games of the gen to the remakes, why's that eh?

>cyrus
dude really now.
>mixed houndoom
>mixed honchcrow
>mixed crobat
>entire team is weak to fucking rock
>>
3D Pokemon was a mistake
>>
File: jpg.jpg (16KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
16KB, 300x180px
>>32107843
Still does
>>
>>32110979
>MA I NEED MORE PUSH BLOCKS
I can't wait until this bullshit is finally gone for good
>>
>>32110878
>I love how you use Emerald instead of RS only when it's convenient for you.

except it doesn't and all the images shows are that both Emerald and RS are harder than ORAS.

>And how you conveniently assume a player leaves the Exp.Share on.
Yeah how dare someone assume the player is going to play the game with tools the game gives them! While they're at it it's so silly that they're assuming the player will use Pokemon Centers and use more than 2 Pokemon!

>And how for some reason you compare Cyrus and Archie instead of Archie and Archie.
final evil leader fight vs final evil leader fight.

>Also you can get Lati@s in it at the exact same moment
Confirmed for never playing the originals. Fuck off.

>>32110892
>Gee, what a solid and objective picture.
Compared to the retards trying to argue that the EXP Share is some kind of easy mode even though it isn't labelled as that anywhere? Yeah it is objective.

>The pic also compares 1st games of the gen to the remakes,
Yet the 1st games of the gen do a better job? That's pretty sad.
>>
>>32110869
>I wont turn the share off because Im autistic
>>
>>32111006
>even though it isn't labelled as that anywhere
Why does that matter, exactly? Are you the kind of guy who takes the box legendary and sweeps E4 with it and complains the game was too easy?

>Yet the 1st games of the gen do a better job?
You mean that one gym? The one where the curve was fucked to begin with?
>>
>>32111006
>While they're at it it's so silly that they're assuming the player will use Pokemon Centers and use more than 2 Pokemon!
It is silly to use more than 2 Pokemon.
>>
>>32110878
Its been a while but I swear the latias/os intro scene where your mum shows you the news report about them was after the first time the credits roll, after you become champ.

And then you have to chase them around the map, I don't think they even show you a dex entry you have to just stumble across them the first time.
>>
>>32107895
>>32107917
These disappointed me the most.

>>32110860
>a puzzle is just as easy as the lack of a puzzle

>>32110844
How can you be satisfied with nothing though? If you find easy puzzles boring, empty corridors should be worse
>>
If I recall, in Crystal anyway, this puzzle can be completed just by pushing the top left boulder, then jumping into the bottom left hole and pressing up, as opposed to making a square like the game intended you to.
>>
>>32110816
Yeah but it was a series of several corridors and a gravity gimmick as opposed to one room.
>>
>>32107843
>I-It was hard when I was a retarded 8 year old so it should be included now!!111
end yourself, my man
>>
>>32111324
>empty corridors should be worse
how come, when the tedious part was removed
>>
>>32111361
But how can doing nothing be more fun than doing something? It's not like all the puzzles in the series are as bad as the worst ones. I cant understand preferring no puzzle to the average pokemon puzzle. It's just walking at that point.

>>32111352
this argument is always stupid
>>
>>32111385
>But how can doing nothing be more fun than doing something?
To actually progress without having to deal with tedious reused bullshit?
Gee I don't know.
>>
>>32111324
>How can you be satisfied with nothing though
Because it's not "nothing". Everything else is still there. If there's no puzzle, I get to enjoy the rest of the game. I'm not stopped by something boring. But IF there is some puzzle, and it's shit like how older Pokemon games, I'm not enjoy anything and being forced to do a boring task.
Shouldn't be too hard to grasp. If the puzzle isn't fun, it's not fun. Don't bother with it.
>>
>>32111395
I mean, I find SM one of the more tedious games due to other things but that's unrelated to the argument

>>32111395
>>32111425
And byprogressing to do other things, you mean just battling? FRLG is one of the most boring games outside Sevii because there's nothing interesting in Kanto outside battling. And that's WITH puzzles. I cant imagine being satisfied with a straight line overworld. especially when the battles were dialed back too since everyone has one pokemon
>>
>>32111482
Yes, battling and exploring the region, encountering more Pokemon, making some progress and finishing the story. That's what I play Pokemon for. That is fun. Pushing boulders into holes isn't. The things I mentioned are what I play Pokemon for, not to push some fucking boulders in holes.
>>
>>32111303
>but I swear the latias/os intro scene where your mum shows you the news report about them was after the first time the credits roll, after you become champ
It is like that, but i'm pretty sure you just need to beat Norman and talk to him again to be able to get the Eon Ticket and go to the Southern Island. ORAS basically made the island go into the plot AND gave you a change to get the other Lati, again on the island but in the "old" way.
>>
>>32107894
Just because your childhood made it seem hard doesn't mean it was hard.
>>
>>32111507
I have never cared about the story much. The best thing about the games to me were the new and interesting regions, and getting to explore it. It's the only thing that can truly be different in each game, especially since every story since Emerald has been the same

Every location just being nothing didnt make exploring fun. Every time I got to a new location I got excited that this would finally be interesting, and then I walk for 30 seconds and battle one person and it's over.

You're getting too caught up on the very specific Strength puzzle thing and Im not sure why you're going back to it in every reply
>>
>>32111482
pretty much this >>32111507
>>
>>32111516
>nobody has ever played a pre-Gen 6 game outside of their childhood before
>>
>>32108333
>lowest common denominator.

Sounds like Fire Emblem: Awakening.
>>
>>32111536
pretty much >>32111528
What's fun about exploring an overworld if there's nothing to do? Legitimate question.
>>
>>32107843
Jokes on you, that's what trials are.

Anyway, pokemon is dead and sun/moon did it. But what am i left to play if i want to play a game like the older pokemon games?
>>
>>32111575
what do you mean nothing to do?
>>
>>32111514
No you're wrong you fucking retard. Eon Ticket is event only in game and can't be obtained in a regular playthrough, unlike in ORAS where a Lati @s is handed to you FOR FREE with a mega stone on every single playthrough. Also the initial encounter in RSE is only AFTER beating the champion and is roaming, so it makes it more difficult to catch. Fucking casual faggot get off my board nerd.
>>
>>32111621
>events are hardcore
wew laddieson
>>
>>32111621
How does that change it being at the same exact place and time as ORAS?
>>
>>32111633
It is not in the same place can you read? Or are you fucking stupid? Lati@s is mid game in ORAS, Postgame in RSE
>>
>>32108333
Yeah, sure anon. They totally removed the battle frontier from ORAS because they wanted to make easier remakes. They also stopped reducing the post game because no one would play it, right? That must also be the reason they don't add an harder mode. I mean, it's totally not because they don't want to waste time, right??
You're one of the reasons they keep getting away with it.
>>
>>32111708
that's literally the reason dumbo
>>
>>32107843
Why haven't they brought back challenge mode? I want a challenge mode story. Make pokemon great again by giving us a hard mode. Come on GF
>>
File: 1489844249887.jpg (5KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1489844249887.jpg
5KB, 250x232px
The most frustrating thing about the Pokemon fanbase is how they always justify the increasing casualization of the games by saying "Oh it was always easy bro!"

Yeah, it was always easy. So why do they need to keep making it easier? Difficulty is relative. Sure, nobody ever said Pokemon was supposed to be a rock-hard JRPG grindfest but just because it was "always easy", doesn't excuse them from making the new games so overwhelmingly casual that you could basically bash your head against your 3DS until it bleeds and then somehow find yourself miraculously at the E4 without a single in-game black-out. I'm not asking for the most difficult game in the world, it'd just be nice if it was actually a game at all, and at this point it has been so "streamlined" that it barely is.
>>
>>32111725
???
S/He was saying that they were making the games easier and were removing content because of it and I was saying that they're just using that as an excuse to work less.
Not sure what you're trying to say.
>>
>>32111780
they're just working less or alternatively just not bothering with content that doesn't really interest too many
>>
>>32107843
How many of you pushed all 4 rocks down
Because you only have to push down 1-2
>>
>>32107886
I really think you are wrong.
>>
I feel like Mt. Coronet and BW2 Victory Road were the only areas in the franchise that actually felt like a dungeon, moreso the former. There was an actual feeling of progression whenever you made it to a new area in those places, especially Mt. Coronet. It's a shame Gen IV suffered from there being too many fucking HMs.
>>
>>32111516
again.
>dude those puzzles weren't hard! And that's the reason no pokemon games should have puzzles ever. because they weren't hard!
>>
>>32108395
Game Freak never used it. It was invented by NoA and has only been used in the west.
>>
>>32112216
pretty much yeah, if it's not even hard but just tedious, they shouldn't even be there
>>
>>32112283
And NoA stopped to use it in gen3
>>
Gen 2 puzzles in the ruins were pretty good senpai.
>>
>>32112357
They brought it back for some gen 6 marketing.
>>
>>32108395
Would be kinda retarded to use a catchphrase for a game you can't get all the mons in.
It should be gotta buy the all ;^)
>>
>>32112383
>for a game you can't get all the mons in.
like all of them except gen1?
>>
>>32112396
More than 50% of the generation's natdex is available in every paired set/supplementary version except for SM.
>>
>>32112442
that's a nonargument, for all doesn't mean over 50% or even 99%
>>
>>32110943
this
>>
>>32110813
That was a really dumb thing to post.
>>
>>32110844
So you want a single town with 8 gyms in it with absolutely no exploring?

Sounds like really fun desu. People like you have ruined the series.
>>
>>32112744
Nice strawman. You know exploring doesn't mean pushing around rocks or sliding on ice for the umpteenth time?
>>
>>32111767
Preach. This board is the worst.

Full of casual kiddies who are afraid of challenges.
>>
>>32111767
I can't wait for the day they just give us a 30$ official showdown app, and relegate all the other stuff to an animal crossing-like spinoff.
>>
File: 1412967588358.gif (1MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1412967588358.gif
1MB, 359x202px
>>32110869
>And at least he isn't as underleveled as Diantha is
>only his ace is higher leveled than any of Diantha's mons
>>
>>32112768
No but wanting them to get rid of puzzles entirely is idiotic and will only encourage Gamefreak to dumb the game down more for you slugs.

We should be asking for more creative and interactive dungeons/puzzles and make them optional to find rare pokemon/items instead of them being blatantly gifted to us.
Never mind, this is Gamefreak we're talking about.
>>
>>32112846
Why exactly is it idiotic? Last time I checked this series wasn't a puzzle game series.
Having this tedious shit move on from game to another doesn't make them creative in any way
>>
>>32112883
Its only tedious because Gamefreak made it. If they were a better company, it would be fun and interesting. It would also add another layer to the games other having your hand held.
>>
>>32112902
so why do you expect something they clearly don't know how to design?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.