[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

game idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 5

File: breath of the wild vista.jpg (40KB, 633x356px) Image search: [Google]
breath of the wild vista.jpg
40KB, 633x356px
what does /vp/ think about a Pokemon game in the style of Breath of the Wilds open world explorer?

>huge open world with just about every Pokemon available in grass just like normal
>dungeons with legendaries accessible with certain criteria, hidden in specific locations
>towns and cities more natural and blending with the landscape
>everything is climbable

thoughts?
>>
I, /vp/, think you're dumb.
>>
>>32099785
/vp/ here, I agree with myself.
>>
>>32099785
>>32099789
>>32099819
Samefag
>>
>>32099785
>>32099789
This is /vp/ seconding this
>>
>>32099819
t. /vp/
>>
>>32099775
This is effectively my dream pokemon game.

Too bad it'll never happen. At least, not while Gamefreak is at the helm.
>>
>>32099843
Dammit, /vp/, stop being different from myself.
>>
>>32099775
>everything is climabable

why though? i'd much rather have a pokemon game where you can control the mons in battle or at least give anime-style chains of commands and where rather than HMs or riding you get over obstacles by needing pokemon with at least x strenght or with a certain ability/type, to promote exploring and diverse parties, but in a way that isn't a chore.
>>
open world wouldn't work for pokemon, exploration was never the core of the franchise
>>
>>32099775
I'd play it. A big, open, seamless world is why I like looking at pokemon maps in minecraft.
>>
>>32099879
what about exploring to find pokemon?
>>
>>32099879
>exploration was never the core of the franchise

yes it is.
>>
>>32100003
Not in an open world fashion.
And thanks to levels making a proper open world pokemon game would require to completely redesign the battle system.
>>
I would like to see something like that, though I don't think it would be possible to add in all the Pokémon, but making a ~300 Pokedex, with a completely different battle system but with the capacity of competitive.
>>
>>32100017
>Not in an open world fashion.
How do you mean? Exploration isn't different between a top-down world and an open world.

The battle system wouldn't need reworking. Just have a battle start once you physically touch a Pokemon/Talk to a trainer in the world. Just have the game cut to a battle.
>>
>>32099775
I'll be up for a open world pokemon game as long I could fly into the air on a Spearow
>>
>>32100539
Game Freak can give trainer and wild Pokemon appropriate levels because you're forced to traverse the overworld in a particular way. If you made Pokemon an open-world game, there would be no way to know what levels to make every wild Pokemon in each area. Just look at how fucked the level curve is in Johto because they gave you the option of going either left or right when you reach Ecruteak. The alternative would be to just automatically scale the wild and trainer Pokemon when you get a badge or as you level up. But then that begs the question: why don't the level 40 wild Pokemon just attack you when you're starting off the game? Why do they wait until much later on in the game?

And it would be awkward if you had a fully 3D world with full-sized Pokemon models roaming around, only for the game to cut to a separate battle area every single time. It would make more sense for the game to have real-time battles that take place in the overworld itself (sort of like Xenoblade). But at that point, it's not really a mainline Pokemon game anymore. Game Freak wouldn't abandon the current battle system because they've spent 20 years tweaking it.
>>
>>32099775
So it's just like Pixelmon.
>>
>>32100809
>Why don't the level 40 wild Pokemon just attack you when you're starting off
...Because plooooooooot?
>>
>>32100823
but that's dumb
>>
>>32099775
I want to see a Pokemon game take place in the Dream World. Like an adventure where you go through different types of dreams all connected to each other and you would meet people/Pokemon that would also be dreaming.

You could also have more experimental ideas for a Pokemon game since it's a dream. Some of which would include Dream Variants with stranger designs (Such as a Grass/Fire Spaghetti Tangrowth and a Water/Steel Fire Hydrant Magmotar), Talking Pokemon, and The main antagonist being actual Pokemon known for using sleep inflicting moves.
>>
>>32100823
If your game is going to have a plothole as large as that, you may as well not bother making it.
>>
>let's completely fuck any semblance of difficulty curve because dude open world meme lmao

fuck off
>>
>>32100976
>le difficulty curve meme lmao

fuck off
>>
>>32100809

Just have the pokedex/key item put a signal that repels Pokemon of high levels (based on gym battles or whatever).

If shit like exp share can give all Pokemon exp, this shit can fit.
>>
>>32100991
Then you can go in difficult areas but its babied down. That sounds gay
>>
>>32100991
But that doesn't stop weaker Pokemon from attacking you when you're a high level.
>>
>>32099775
>2015+number of all available genders
>people are still asking for this
>there are people out there that still think it may happen
>>
>>32100809
>If you made Pokemon an open-world game, there would be no way to know what levels to make every wild Pokemon in each area
There are. You place lower levelled Pokemon closer to wherever you start the player off and the closer you get to the edges of the map the higher level shit is. You know, the way every other Open World game handles its shit.

This also allows players to take the game at their own place, or start exploring more dangerous zones earlier if they're a more advanced player.

>And it would be awkward if you had a fully 3D world with full-sized Pokemon models roaming around, only for the game to cut to a separate battle area every single time.
Plenty of games do it. It's fine.
>>
>itt: autists pretend they know more about game design than gamefreak
>>
>>32101254
>implying Game Freak actually knows two shits about game design
>>
>>32101263
>create a franchise lasting 20+ years
>they dun kno nuffin
>>
>>32101268
They've released the same game in a different colour for the last 20+ years you mean.

Just because it's popular and successful doesn't necessarily mean it's good, or more specifically can't be better.
>>
>>32101297
I bet you thought prism was good
>>
>>32101315
and when they did do something different, you faggots bitched and moaned about "muh gyms" and how storytelling has no place in pokemon
>>
>>32100809
>Why don't the level 40 wild Pokemon just attack you when you're starting off the game?
Asking this question runs on the same logic of why there's only level 2 and 3 Pokemon around every hero's hometown and levels 30+ around endgame towns. Almost like it's just a game mechanic. One that could just be adapted by placing the high-level Pokemon in more isolated locations away from civilization.
>>
>>32101315
No, shitty fangames are even worse. I'm the only person with good ideas.
>>
>>32100976
Believe it or not, BoTW does have a difficulty curve
>>
>>32101968
True, but i think that the "difficult" curve only relies in the manual ability, the brain can be more or less off. At least for me.
>>
File: 1489657685979.png (204KB, 1392x890px) Image search: [Google]
1489657685979.png
204KB, 1392x890px
>>32099775
>>
>>32099879
>exploration was never the core of the franchise
Was your first Pokemon game from gen 6?
>>
>>32100017
>And thanks to levels making a proper open world pokemon game would require to completely redesign the battle system.
Are you implying this is a bad thing?
The battle system has been long overdue for a complete overhaul imo.
>>
>>32100809
i never said it WOULD be a main series game, i see it going a similar direction as Colosseum or XD in terms of relevance
>>
>>32101997
Two words:
Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>32102570
What about it?
>>
>>32102574
it shows you can have a clusterfuck of worlds and still have a story that connects everything while letting those worlds bask in their own completed stories.
production time wont take as much, just reuse graphics and sfx
putting in more boxes is no problem at all

in short, that list is just stupid, no need to keep posting it.
>>
>>32102593
and this works with pokemon how, exactly?
it's not a valid comparison if it works with one series that isn't even similar to this
>>
also if storage size is a problem, look at BotW, the game is like 13 GB. a game of similar proportions could easily be on the Switch
>>
>>32102607
and which points that you brought up could not be solved by taking example from kh?
let each region keep their story, use those stories as basis for the mega-game story and use the megagame story to close plotholes in the originals, if you are already there.
>>
>>32102644
see point 3
how do you move from region to another with it making sense? how do you scale shit? trade shit? fit everything on a cart/sd card? get all regions done to 3d? get all the fucking sprites, distribute pokemon, scale trainer battles and gym battles etc.
>>
>>32102657
by not having the game take place over all of the previous regions, but a new one that happens to be relatively large and contains many pokemon all at once
>>
>>32102657
>how do you move from region to another with it making sense?
with a boat or y foot. the motive? some stupidass orginazations is manipulating all the others and its up to you to get in their way. but try not to be noticed, covet operation.

>scale shit
have the enemy levels directly influanced by the levels of pokemons in your party. gym leaders, rival battles and few special trainers aside, moves same as wild states.
>trade shit
shops unlock new content depends on how many regions you have cleared.
>fit everything
you think the 3ds won't be able to hold it? well, next gen console would.
>get all regions done to 3d
most of them are, one way or another
or just apeal to nostalgia fags and have the region themselves (but not the battles) done in their original format.
>all sprites
most pokemon games already contain sprites for the pokemons from previous gens
>distribute pokemons
in the place they orignally ware? you are hanging to straws man.
>scale trainer and gym battles
you already asked.

simple.
>>
>>32102677
then that's even more work, good work fella

>>32102712
>moves same as wild states.
this is a garbage ass idea, and takes away any unique strats the AI might try
>well, next gen console would.
Well that's definitely not the switch then.
>most of them are, one way or another
kalos, hoenn, alola
i mean yeah, sure
>most pokemon games already contain sprites for the pokemons from previous gens
trainers, buildings, routes, everything
>in the place they orignally ware?
so you have the gen 1 available in the new kanto but 600 available in kalos
sounds like a good idea, yeah
>>
the whole idea seems doable, but the question is WILL gamefreak ever make something like this, seeing as how theyve been historically lazy with their games something on this level seems out of the question at least for them
>>
>>32099775
Pokemon the Anime: Game Edition
>>
>>32102758
>this is a garbage ass idea, and takes away any unique strats the AI might try
well, most generic trainers don't use any strat anyway.
>not the switch
it could still work on the wii. but i still think the 3ds could handle it.
>kalos, hoenn, alola
gen 4 and 5 are also kinda 3d.
>trainers, buildings, routes, everything
trainers are the same- lass, bug catchers, pokefans
routes and building are also copy-paste
>gen 1 available in the new kanto but 600 available in kalos
you haven't played soulsilver i see. but yeah, even if we stick to original, let every route stick to its original mons. there is no reason why it wouldn't work.
>>
>>32099775

>Wants Virtual Pokemon Go

Gee sure I hope to walk and climb virtual mountains for an hour to get a legendary.
>>
>hurr every game needs to be open world

fuck off with this meme
>>
>>32100809
>why do they wait until much later in the game
Answer: They don't.

I mean, do Guardians wait until you git gud? Nope. They attack you from the get go, and they one hit you for a while.
>>
>>32102830
it sounds like a lazy piece of shit with nothing new going for it
>>
>>32100809

>If you made Pokemon an open-world game, there would be no way to know what levels to make every wild Pokemon in each area

Xenoblade Chronicles X has enemies of heavily varying levels everywhere, so it's up to the player to choose which enemies to fight and which ones to run away from. I assume it could work the same for Pokemon.
>>
File: 1470846548287.png (228KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
1470846548287.png
228KB, 394x370px
The people opposing this idea always present incredibly stupid arguments to back up their opinions. Things like difficulty curve and so on would not be an issue if Game Freak just used all the tools that they have. I feel like Pokemon games have so much unused potential missed opportunities.

First of all, level scaling is not an issue because you could just make the enemies scale based on your progress in the game (this has been done already in RPGs like Oblivion). Make it so that once you obtain a certain badge, the enemy levels go up. Also, there could still be more difficult areas that are only accessible by HMs/Pokeride/whatever so that you can only go there after reaching a certain point of the game.

>But scaling would remove difficulty curve
No it wouldn't. There are many more ways to make opposing Pokemon more challenging than just increasing their level, and this is something that a lot of people forget for whatever reason. Make it so that at the beginning of the game opposing trainers have just random shitmons with IVs of zero, no EVs and extremely limited movesets. and as you travel further away from the starting place, the teams become tougher as they get better team synergy, moves with higher power and better coverage, better held items, better IVs and EVs and so on. At the very end of the game you'd face full-on competitive teams with perfect IVs, optimal EV spreads, powerful held items like Life Orb / Scarf / etc., teammates covering each others weaknesses and trainers using advanced strategies like weathers teams and so on. This would be a more natural way to discourage you from going to the final areas right at the beginning of the game as you would just get your ass kicked before finding better items and TMs and building yourself a better team.

Really the only problem is time. It would obviously require a lot of work to do something like this, but I'd be ready for the wait.
>>
>>32102858
which is why it shouldn't be hard to make

the only thing new is the kh aproach to see some story elements from new prespective.

but seriously, first you say its impossible because too much work now you say its lazy?
>>
>>32102897
yeah of course it's not impossible if you don't do jack shit and just do a completely barebones piece of garbage
>>
>>32102917
make up your mind. i suggested ways to reduce workload, those ways are ofc optional. there is somewhere a line where its little enough work to be doable but still enough new content to be fun.

unless you say the only way for you to have fun is if they put more work than its worth, in which case i pity you.
>>
>>32102879
>trainers using advanced strategies like weathers teams and so on
Game Freak is incompetent and can't do this.
>>
>>32100809
Random encounters would be ok though. Maybe if we got a game director with more audacity we could have an open world pokemon game, with a few change in the battle system and level progression but without completely change it. But again it is of that hireling of Ohmori we are talking about, we'll have the same shit all over again, more and more poor in content, and with some retarded gimmick like mega or super moves or w/e the fuck are they, especially know tgat pokemon is seen as an "e-sport".
>>
No thanks. It will never happen. Junchi Masuda said. Pokemon shouldn't be a time consuming game
>>
Have an open world as big as Breath of the Wild but you are only able to explore further after you get gym badges.

You know, like the actual games...

Why is this so hard?
>>
>>32102973
because its hard to have trees blocking your way in true open world.
>>
but muh linearity!
>>
>>32102973
What the fuck do you do there?
>>
>>32102985
bring back HM-like functions, you need to get the badge to chop the trees down, tree based pokemon may fall from them as an added effect
>>
>>32103215
see >>32103563

same goes for the other types of HM effects, each district on the map requires a gym badge to continue to any other part
>>
>>32103563
Stop being so fucking ambitious.
Pokémon doesn't work as an open world game. It follows a formula that is not to be tampered with. No new major mechanics. No new major story elements. Pokémon is a consistent and pure franchise.
It took years for BotW to be finish be developed, and it isn't nearly as ambitious as you fools want this game to be.
>>
Pokemon is inherently an extremely difficult game to balance, because you form your party out of enemies. Even ignoring being able to travel to a high-level area and catch an overleveled Pokemon, the series struggles to justify a high number of monsters. Once people get a team of six that they're okay with, they stop looking for new ones unless they're a completionist. They have no reason to keep seeking out more otherwise.
>>
>>32103597
i mean what's the gain from open world if the game is the same
>>
>>32103641
why the fuck not mess with it a little? sure as hell beats the stagnant formula we've had for 20 god damn years.
>>
>>32103728
that's just it, the game wouldn't be exactly the same
>>
File: 1489768497420.jpg (29KB, 293x222px) Image search: [Google]
1489768497420.jpg
29KB, 293x222px
Just gonna pop in and say I find it hilariious that BOTW managed to make clothes dying so painlessly easy on it's first try while you have to jump through so many fucking hoops in sun and moon for colors you like. It's mind boggling as heck.
>>
>>32102593
Anon you do realise that the worlds in KH are incredibly short right
>>
>>32101412
>dicking around in shitty caves constitutes exploration
are main series pokemon games the only games you play? I have hated the fucking caves since gen 1
>>
>>32104119
uh oh, careful with those hothead opinions
the official anti-casual police will lynch you now
>>
>>32099775
Considering how fucking godawful the GF programmers are, and the huge chances of those games suffering from the same issues BotW had? No thanks. It might work out if the region was 1/4th the size of BotW's playable area, but I'm not so sure.
>>
>>32100809
>there would be no way to know what levels to make every wild Pokemon in each area.
They could do some level scaling and change encounter rates depending on some shit. Average party level + 3~7 for wild encounters, then encounters and what group of Pokemon you can encounter could vary depending on that average party level too.
>>
>>32104177
>GF knowing shit about level scaling
have you not played gen 2?
>>
>>32104190
I sure have. I was just posting a potential solution to anon's question. That obviously doesn't mean GF would do something like that.
>>
>>32099879
As others have said, there used to be more areas to explore and tangent off into to. In the last 2 gens though, they have kind of abandoned that for linearity. Even a linear region like Unova at least had some exploring in it too. I haven't played BoTW yet, but GD could learn something from it. Of course they won't because S/M sold a ton.
>>
>>32104295
if anything, SM has showed me that they have learned from their past mistakes of including shoehorned exploration like elements
>>
>>32104349
By forgoing exploration almost in its entirety.
Also there's no such thing as "shoehorned" exploration.
>>
>>32099775
I don't trust game freak to handle something on that scale.
>>
>>32104400
What about Bethesda?
>>
>>32105041
>Bethesda
You have to be joking. Bethesda are a AAA Gamefreak.

Give it to Monolith Soft.
>>
>>32100976
>he didn't sequence break as much as possible in literally every zelda game
>>
>>32103957
No. That's not how the IP of Pokémon works. It doesn't change, period.
This thread is literally just retards blowing smoke out their ass over something that will never happen.

Zelda was allowed to do it because they change it up frequently.
Pokémon will never be allowed to do it because they don't want it to change.
>>
>>32105041
>lul Bethesda could do open world Pokémon
Fucking underage get off my board.
>>
>>32105604
I fucking hate this mindset. This is the reason why the series just stagnates instead of becoming something great.
>>
>>32101997
>This is your whole why ultimate idea is game pretty damn shitty
>>
>>32103641
Ocarina took 4-5 years
Windwaker took 4-5 years
Twilight Princess took 4-5 years
Skyward Sword took 4-5 years
BoTW took 4-5 years
>>
>>32107445
>I fucking hate this mindset
Too bad kid. That's how business works.
>>
>>32108391
literally not relevant.
>>
File: gamefreak.png (5KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
gamefreak.png
5KB, 900x600px
>>
There is an upcoming open world pokemon game for the switch.

It's a heavy story-driven game which will feature a certain recent popular pokemon as the protagonist.

You'll see in due time.
>>
>>32109169

So it's like the Gamecube spinoff games?
Neat that home consoles can have pokemon games agin.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.