[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just lost a game because of 2 random crits in a row and that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: Generation_III_Critical_Hit.png (10KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Generation_III_Critical_Hit.png
10KB, 720x480px
Just lost a game because of 2 random crits in a row and that got me thinking, what even is the point of crits?

I get why they'd tie them to speed in gen 1, making fast pokemon do consistently more damage is unbalanced as fuck but there's some thought behind it, but why are they still a thing?

>hurr durr pokemon it's for fun, it's not supposed to be competitive
I don't know anyone who would find losing to retarded play because of a dice fun in the slightest
>>
>>32074648
>but why are they still a thing?
Because they're a staple in RPG? That's the best I can come up with, really.
>>
It's an RPG. Critical hits are a thing
>>
>>32074648
>>32074648
>what even is the point of crits?
to add some randomness to the game, and to allow you to take out defensive set-up pokemon
>>
>>32074648
I wouldn't mind if they made crits a thing only you could do and AI couldn't. And it didn't show up in pvp.
>>
>>32074661
that's not an excuse nor a good reason
>>
>>32074684
Because it's neither. Much like how one would expect sidequests in an RPG, one would also expect mechanics like critical hits. It's just there as part of what makes an RPG.

Of course, it doesn't make them any less dumb, but there's nothing one can do about it.
>>
>>32074648
>Why does a luck based game of glorified rock/paper/scissors have crits?
>>
Punishes defensive set up. Stall would be an even stronger strategy.
>>
>>32074648
RNG

It doesn't matter how good you are, RNG will always be the god of pokémon, if RNG wishes it can fuck you in the ass and ruin your game, all you can do its hope its on a good mood
>>
>>32074648
Sometimes I think critical hits were a fucking mistake, a winner should be determined on skill and not luck and I don't feel particularly proud when I win because of a critical hit. Sometimes one critical hit is decisive to determine a winner in a match, especially in 3v3 which is the standard format for ingame facilities and it's frustrating when you're playing correctly but are constantly screwed over by luck rolls. I've also had the point of critical hits keeping stall in control but hear me out, why don't you remove critical hits and find a way to make stall weaker instead of meme rng?
>>
>>32074719
Hell I'd even gladly take permanent paralyze/confusion/freeze/sleep rolls over critical hits as long as they're fucking deleted from the game.
>>
>>32074648
>there's some thought behind it,
No
>>
>>32074648
The purpose is to break degenerate stall, but they could do it so much better. Personally, I'd prefer no crit chance until a Pokemon used a recover variant, at which point the crit chance would come into effect and keep increasing every time until crits were guaranteed
>>
They should just remove all RNG.
>all damage is guaranteed, no damage range
>100% accuracy on all moves
>Quick Claw is removed
>all secondary effects on moves are guaranteed
>Paralyze, Confusion and Infatuation checks are guaranteed every even turn
>Confusion, Infatuation, Sleep and Frozen now last three turns each, guaranteed
>masuda is crucified
>evasion and accuracy stats removed, related moves/abilities are removed
>metronome is removed
And of course;
>no crits
>>
>>32074775
>100% accuracy on all moves
no, risk/reward
everything else I agre with
>>
>>32074775
>All secondary effects on moves always happen

Holy fuck, no. Do you want anything with air slash/iron head/zen headbutt/etc. and above 90 speed to be banned?
>>
>>32074648
>removing crits
>making stall even more viable
are you fucking nuts
>>
>>32074792
Yes. All for the sake of no RNG.
>>
>>32074798
They need to nerf stall rather than keep crits, having a strategy so degenerate the only way to beat it is getting lucky is the issue. They need to make all recover variants have 5 PP or make steel able to be poisoned
>>
>>32074802
That's a little fucking extreme, why not just remove flinch off every move except fake out and give the moves that had flinch a BP boost as compensation?
>>
>>32074648
They add a simpleeffective suprise aspect.
>>
>>32074823
>let's make game bland

I wish they finally made freeze status more common, but it should be affected by many more things like fire moves and sun.
>>
>>32074828
While I agree, I wish they were removed from link battles. That way the online game could be more competitive while the in-game could have surprises
>>
>>32074837
You know what's bland? Waiting for a Jirachi to slowly Iron Head your Pokemon to death while there's literally NOTHING you can do about it. The game would devolve into who could use their flinch move the fastest, the only item would be choice scarf, it'd be a fucking nightmare. THAT'S bland, not removing a single, unpleasant mechanic
>>
>>32074648
The "reason" for crits is two-fold:
1) Like in TF2, it allows for upsets in the game, and lets those with less ability still have a chance.
2) It allows a way to break through high defence boosts or large attack drops.

Honestly, I wish they removed random crits, but allowed more ways to induce crits. For example, every move that doubles power in certain circumstances (pursuit, payback, etc.) would crit instead under the same circumstances.

It would also make abilities like Shell Armor, Anger Point, and Sniper a bit more interesting.
>>
>>32074648
In old RPGs that were means to mimic real like, crits were meant to mimic luck or miscalculation in combat. Stepping on a loose stone while swordfighting, or your armor randomly buckling when it shouldn't have.

As it became more accepted, it became more necessary. A game with no random aspects at all gets stake quickly. The prospect of missing or criting forces players to adapt. If there were no randomness at all, battles would be decided on the first turn.

How you react to and adapt to unexpected events is an equally important as predicting your opponents switches or memorizing type effectiveness.

Does pokemon put too much emphasis on RNG? Yes. Are crits intrinsically bad? No.
>>
Well there are other games which try to solve the 'crit' problem differently, I guess.I remember Tales of Graces having a 'crit gauge' which if you filled it (there were a few ways to do so) you'd automatically get a crit, it was never actually random. FFXIII also has something similar with chain bonuses and staggers.

Ultimately these kinds of things add depth to the game (for instance, you can choose between doing a lot of damage NOW or building up a combo and increasing your multiplier or whatever) and remove RNG to an extent, but it would make the game far, far more complicated to understand for the primary target audience, which is children.
>>
>>32074775
>Remove all RNG

The randomness is what adds that bit of spice and variety to the game. Misses, crits and flinches are very important, so that no matter how well you calculate your damage capabilities, the underdog always has a chance. Besides, crits are fairly rare, and not worth removing.

BTW all those suggestions you posted? I'm fairly sure that FB has some pokemon knockoffs for whiny bitches like you. So go there, play your pussy fb rpg games with guarenteed status and no crits and no fun, and never come back here again
>>
>>32074875
>If there were no critting or missing, the battle would be decided first turn

What kind of shitty RPGs are you playing? The only kind of game that could happen in is 1v1 where both players have the same stats and attack and there's no way to switch.
>>
>>32074875
>If there were no randomness at all, battles would be decided on the first turn.

Why bother playing chess, then?
>>
>>32074891
Boy, sleeping for 5 turns sure is FUN
I know I have so much FUN when the enemy Pokemon in the battle tree lands three crits in a row
I REALLY ENJOY being hit by sheer cold, that's super fun
You know what else is incredibly fun? Flinchax Jirachi! I LOVE sitting there, laughing and smiling away as my mon is gradually whittled away while I can't do anything! That's just the best!
>>
File: 1486663425740.jpg (82KB, 750x630px)
1486663425740.jpg
82KB, 750x630px
>>32074891
It wasn't serious, anon. I even threw in a joke suggestion to make it a bit more obvious. Come on now.
>>
>>32074909
Is chess really decided on the first turn? What the fuck kind of game is that, then? Why doesn't the person who got "outplayed" (read:went first) just scoop it up after the first turn? What's the point of a game like that?
>>
>>32074923
People on 4chan tend to think in extremes, it was hard to tell if you were joking or just a regular poster.
>>
>>32074928
>>32074909
Sarcasm isn't your strong suit, is it?
>>
>>32074911

Hey don't bitch and expect sympathy for your shit luck, atleast not here
>>
>>32074938
I don't know jack about chess except there are computers that can calculate every outcome and win every time and sometimes people memorize that shit too. Can you blame me for thinking that sounds like it could be legit?
>>
>>32074942
Yes, because none of what you said is true.
>>
>>32074942

Are you americunts really that focused on eating your fat boiled double cheeseburgers that you don't even know what motherfucking chess is?
>>
File: 1486723644813.gif (4MB, 202x175px)
1486723644813.gif
4MB, 202x175px
>0.5% chance for a non-hail boosted blizzard to not only hit both Pokemon in doubles, but freeze them both as well
>happens to me all the time
>>
>>32074859
>TF2
>>
File: 170.png (218KB, 423x500px)
170.png
218KB, 423x500px
>>32074958
>opponent uses blizzard outside of hail
>it lands
>it crits
>it freezes
>>
>>32074947
Shit man I don't know I'm just a fucking dog
>>
File: 1402162704907.jpg (29KB, 499x498px)
1402162704907.jpg
29KB, 499x498px
>>32074980
Sleep tight, fugger.
>>
>>32074648
Does getting kicked in the thigh hurt the same as getting kicked in the head, the stomach or the nuts?
There's too many factors in a real fight to account for that you just can't add to a simple game. That's where the random threshold and crits play a part, to account for the unaccountable. Strategy is meant to narrow down decisions, not to play the game for you.
>>
>>32074980
sleep tight fugger
>>
>>32074980
sleep tight fugger
>>
>>32074666
You are weak
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.