[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SM Opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: sun at national park.png (58KB, 256x160px) Image search: [Google]
sun at national park.png
58KB, 256x160px
Which of these apply to you? Im curious about people who didnt hate the game but were too underwhelmed to be very happy right now

Which one applies to you?

1) You liked the game and will be getting the next one
2) You liked the game but dont feel like getting the next one (my opinion)
3) You didnt like the game and wont be getting the next one
>>
>>32073025
1, since that's my general behavior towards mainline Pokemon.
Game releases I want to play nowadays are getting thinner and thinner for me, a new installment in one of my favorite franchises is always welcome.
>>
>>32073043
So it's mainly out of just having something to play?
>>
>>32073054
Yeah, pretty much. More things I enjoy makes me feel happy. I enjoyed SM and will probably get the next ones. I don't feel as excited for remakes/sequels as I do new gens (I love new Pokemon being introduced) but they give me a lot of satisfaction as well.
>>
>>32073070
>Implying there's going to be more new pokemon introduced.
GF wants only to appeal to genwunners so...
>>
I pick option six, it was fucking shit overall in the areas that define individual Pokemon games, but like always I enjoy the core gameplay mechanics of the series so I will continue playing them hoping they get their shit together in those areas that define individual Pokemon games but if not I will at least keep enjoying the core gameplay and additions made to it every entry.
>>
>>32073025
3, Sun/Moon have cut a lot of what I loved from the franchise and did not add enough to keep me coming back.
May check back in a few years but it's romhacks and older games for me until they up their game. It's weird, since I've never wanted to drop pokemon outright until Sun/Moon.
>>
2, and that'll only change if whatever comes next seems to be really good.
>>
>>32073070
I couldnt tell you which I feel more excited for because after Crystal, I never followed up with a game release until XY, where I was hyped as fuck before actually playing the games a year after everyone else and hating it
>>
>>32073073
Well I think it is a reasonable expectation in new generations for there to be a new generation of Pokemon, so I'm not too worried there. Alola forms are nice too, pretty much the same feeling as new Pokemon for me. The only thing that didn't feel as new was the ORAS mega evos since I didn't ever get to see a lot of them in game because of the one-mega limit and the odd choices (like steelix and glalie) they made in stats and pokemon choice. I liked it anyway though.
>>
>>32073095
Same. But im expecting a Kanto sequel with a lot of Lillie, so I dont know. And if they skip straight to Switch I will definitely not get it

>>32073093
I agree with this too somewhat. I have been playing HGSS again and enjoying it. And Prisim looks fun
>>
>>32073104
Why would GF introduce new pokemon, when the audiencie only cares about finding old pokemon?
>>
>>32073100
Ok
well hopefully whatever comes out is something you can enjoy
>>
1 easily. A bad pokemon is easily more enjoyable than other games likes. Cod, Mario, Zelda etc. If I don't buy the next pokemon games. It means I'm done with gaming
>>
>>32073153
I don't know why they wouldn't anon, that wouldn't really be a new gen. I sense a hit of malice with you but eh ok.
Remakes are good for people who like older ones. Or romhacks, but I don't like romhacks.
>>
>>32073025
4) You liked the game and will be getting the next one, but acknowledge that it was a bit rushed and could have been better.
>>
>>32073156
I mean, I did say I enjoyed SM. Just not enough to be convinced I should get the next games. This could change

>>32073177
Nope, the worst 2D mario is still a fucking great game (NSMB2 and Super Mario Land, btw). We've actually had bad pokemon games that were just bad.
>>
File: 1487025302233.jpg (70KB, 638x638px) Image search: [Google]
1487025302233.jpg
70KB, 638x638px
>>32073025
where's the "you didn't like the game but you'll still get the next one because you're a slave to Masuda" option
>>
>>32073194
NSMB2 is just bad and SML1 isn't even close to the worst Mario.
>>
>>32073233
I hope you arent implying that any of the other NSMB games are even close to mid tier, because I dont see what else to call the worst if not those two.
>>
>>32073251
Wii's pretty bad too, in fact I might even call it worse than 2. DS was okay even if it's braindead easy even for Mario, and U is the only actually solid one. Haven't played NSLU, can't comment.
>>
I'm tired of new pokemon, i wish they stoped forever making new pokemon.
I ONLY WANT MY OLD POKEMON, I HATE WHEN NEW STUFF APPAREARS.
>>
>>32073025
1 for me.

If you're looking for a more respectable (I guess that's the word) answer, SM has had overwhelming support in all the polls we've done. It usually ends up in 3rd-5th place overall, beating the likes of Platinum and Emerald.
>>
>>32073025
Kinda between 1 and 2. Now that the new game factor has rolled off it was a bit disappointing. However, I thought it was a step in the right direction from Gen 6, and SM had many good and great things. I think mostly everything from late Melemele to Ula'Ula was good
>>
>>32073355
Which I honestly find odd, because even ignoring the shitposters, Im seeing more neutral opinionsn rather than overwhelming support. And I also feel that's what it really deserves. It certainly isnt better than either Platinum or Emerald in my eyes at least.

>>32073361
I generally agree with those being the best parts. And it improving on Gen 6.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-17-15-42-12-1.png (156KB, 1440x2065px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-17-15-42-12-1.png
156KB, 1440x2065px
>>32073419
pic related is the most recent poll btw
>>
>>32073302
Wii was pretty great my mans. Though that seems to be the most controversial one.

>>32073440
I mean, it's cool people like it but the franchise is definitely moving away from me it seems
>>
>>32073186
This
>>
Sun and Moon were very flawed. You could have possibly excused gen 6 for being mediocre because they had spent most of that time doing the 3D models and animations. But despite most of the tedious work being already done for them in Sun/Moon, it still managed to be a step back from gen 6 (at least in some aspects). If I happen to own the console that the next Pokemon game is released on, I'll buy it. But I won't be buying a new console just to play Pokemon. If the next Pokemon game does end up on the Switch, I'll be getting one for Zelda and Mario Odyssey, not Pokemon. At least it looks like they're taking steps forwards in those two series.
>>
>>32073482
Who said the next pokemon game is on the switch?
>>
4) I liked the game, I know I should invest my money and time in something better and that actually helps me to improve my life, but at the end, I'll buy the next one
>>
>>32073491
That's why I said "if". Although if the Switch does end up selling well, Nintendo would be stupid to release a separate handheld console and spread their development of games across two systems (that's why their line-up of games looked so sparse last generation). I know they said that they are considering a 3DS successor, but they were also considering a GBA successor before they abandoned it because of how successful the DS was. If the Switch is successful, then they'll probably release a stripped-down handheld-only version so that people who want to play Pokemon without spending too much money can do that (like how they released the 2DS as a cheap variant of the 3DS).

And I really hope that the next games aren't on the 3DS because the resolution is an eyesore and Game Freak's inability to optimise means that the games will run like dogshit too. And the lack of a second analog stick means that they'd be very limited in how they design the world since you don't have free camera control (unless they make it N3DS exclusive, although I can't imagine Game Freak doing that seeing how every other N3DS exclusive has sold like shit).
>>
>>32073554
>>32073482
BW2 came out on the DS.

The next games are going to be 3DS games.
>>
File: 1487698887058.jpg (296KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1487698887058.jpg
296KB, 1000x1000px
>>32073025
1) You liked the game and will be getting the next one.

I had a blast playing through. The most fun I've had with Pokemon in a long time. I admit there were a few things that could be called issues, for example the lack of dungeons or optional areas to explore, but those did not bother or hinder my experience in any way. I could not care less about either. I had never given a single thought to Triple Battles and such, so again, I could not care less. Some of the things people dislike about SM, for example the interruptions in gameplay for story tidbits, were something I liked, as I prefer more story based gameplay rather than just going through another region for no reason.

So basically, SM was the perfect game for someone like me. I'd buy the next game happily if this is what I'll be getting out of it.
>>
>>32073025
Oh I'm definitely getting the next ones, I did like the "story" in these games, it's nice to have something like that every now and again. The only reason I don't like them is because of the lack of post game and side stuff (ex. Contests, Pokestar Studios). I'm not much of a battler so of course my biggest gripe would be this as well as no National Dex. It makes the world feel empty, and it makes me sad because the world is one of, if not the main reason I love to play pokemon. Hopefully the next games won't have blocked off areas like the golf course and brooklet's caves in Alola.
>>
>>32073570
That's because BW2 were sequels to BW and they used the same engine, so it made little sense to port it to 3DS (especially since it had the option to do that memory link thing with BW). Unless the next Pokemon games are Sun/Moon sequels, it makes very little sense to release the next Pokemon game on the 3DS. And I hope that they don't release another Pokemon game soon. I want Game Freak to actually spend time on the next game and make it complete instead of shitting out incomplete games.
>>
>>32073554
>. Although if the Switch does end up selling well, Nintendo would be stupid to release a separate handheld console and spread their development of games across two systems (that's why their line-up of games looked so sparse last generation).
The problem is that people assume this to be the flaw of a console/handheld system and the WiiU just being shit. This "split development" meme has little to it.

The Switch doesn't function as a handheld. It's not convenient in use or function, doesn't fit into pocket/bags well, takes a FUCKTON of accessories to be street ready, has battery life on par with the aging 3DS, and the cost alone(nevermind 50USD for half a missing controller) says this is nothing a handheld should be.

>>32073554
>If the Switch is successful, then they'll probably release a stripped-down handheld-only version so that people who want to play Pokemon without spending too much money can do that (like how they released the 2DS as a cheap variant of the 3DS).

Why would they release something that UNDERMINES the gimmick of the entire system? You could argue 2ds, but 3d wasn't a hot selling point into system life and Japan only got them as pokemon tie in systems.

It's a shame, but either we get another handheld or pokemon ceases to fit on your pocket/be on the go.
>>
>>32073639
But Generations have never been split betwen systems, and I highly doubt it will start now. Plus, GameFreak will go to the system with the most people. the Switch isnt backwards compatible so they HAVE to choose between it and the 3DS, and I think I know which will win

>>32073554
>>32073653
Also this. The Switch is not a handheld and Nintendo has handled split development forever. They even handled it fine during the WiiU 3DS era. They just need third parties to make stuff for the console too

They better release something to undermine the Switch because there is no way the handheld crowd will all follow the Switch with the issues you mentioned. They are basically throwing those sales away by ignoring them
>>
1. A promising start for a gen.
>>
Everyone who says they're not gonna buy the next game will buy it anyway....
>>
>>32073153
Are you baiting or just stupid?
>>
>>32073186
This.
>>
>>32073715
Do you think everyone is completely hooked to this franchise? Im not so attached as to not be able to wait a few months after the next game is out
>>
>>32073715
I pirated Sun and uninstalled it.
It's easier than you think.
>>
>>32073745
wow teach me to hax le evil corporations
>>
>>32073653
>>32073681
Let's be honest, Nintendo aren't going to get third-party support for the Switch. If they want their consoles to have a decent library, they need to focus all their games on one system. And Nintendo have already merged their two hardware divisions, so they probably intend to keep everything on one platform unless the Switch fails and they need to resort to plan B. Or at least they plan on maintaining some form of compatibility across their platforms. So perhaps there will be a new handheld console that can only play a subset of Switch games.

I highly doubt that the joycon's features will be hot selling points of the Switch. Pretty much everyone who has one has bought it for Zelda (a game that practically doesn't need any of its unique features). So making certain games like 1-2-Switch incompatible with the cheaper handheld isn't out of the question. Nintendo have proven that they're happy to make certain games exclusive to the N3DS, even if it means being incompatible with the original 3DS. And they've already confirmed that some games require the use of the touchscreen (so developers aren't exactly forced to make their games playable for all three modes of playing with the Switch).
>>
>>32073681
Who said that the next Pokemon games would be gen 7 games? Game Freak aren't forced to make more than two games every generation.
>>
File: 1475955847206.gif (218KB, 245x192px) Image search: [Google]
1475955847206.gif
218KB, 245x192px
>>32073764
But putting all their games on one system wont mean much if people dot buy it. The handheld market is more complicated than "you can carry it around"

The Switch is a $300 dollar system with what I assume will be mostly $60 games, $80 controllers, no backwards compatibility, games not designed for short bursts (since it will have console like games first) and a system that's not durable enough to casually carry everywhere. People who buy $120 dollar 3DS and $60 dollar 2DS' arent going to jump into this.

Unless the Switch gets a cheaper version, the handheld market just wont come

>>32073767
But they have for the entirety of the franchise
>>
File: image.png (214KB, 631x718px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
214KB, 631x718px
>>32073025
4) I liked the game and I'll be pirating the next one
>>
>>32073764
>Let's be honest, Nintendo aren't going to get third-party support for the Switch. If they want their consoles to have a decent library, they need to focus all their games on one system.

And once again, this was because of fuckups in company policy with the WiiU. 3DS stood pretty well on that front compared to an expensive WiiU devkit and gimmick nobody wanted to develop for anyway.

Taking away that "people want handhelds so let make a console that pretends to be one" will probably sell better than the WiiU but entirely alienates the people who kept them floating with the 3DS.
The Switch is good for going across town or to a friends house, something you plan, but a real handheld is something you can pick up and take with you own long trips, far longer than the Switch can handle.
I wouldn't argue that the a new handheld could run dumbed down switch games(like how 3DS was running dumbed down WiiU games) but it would an entire new format/shape and function than what the Switch brings to the table. The Switch would need some serious retooling, not 2DS level retooling, to appear to handheld gamers and children(Especially when the former have a huge DS/3DS library even before piracy).
>>32073799
>But putting all their games on one system wont mean much if people dot buy it. The handheld market is more complicated than "you can carry it around"

Thank you.
>>
>>32073799
>But putting all their games on one system wont mean much if people dot buy it. The handheld market is more complicated than "you can carry it around"
The handheld market in general is dying, mostly due to the emergence of smartphones. The 3DS didn't sell half as much as the DS, it hasn't even outsold the PSP. A 3DS successor isn't guaranteed to sell like an old handheld could. Remember that 3DS sales were very poor until they cut the price. Unless Nintendo feel the need to create a completely separate device, they won't.

>The Switch is a $300 dollar system with what I assume will be mostly $60 games, $80 controllers, no backwards compatibility, games not designed for short bursts (since it will have console like games first) and a system that's not durable enough to casually carry everywhere. People who buy $120 dollar 3DS and $60 dollar 2DS' arent going to jump into this.
The Switch is actually pretty durable and there are many people who carry around iPads and laptops with them that are far larger and more expensive than a Switch. Also the 3DS XL and 2DS were never exactly portable either. If you wanted to carry them around with some additional games, you'd need a case anyway (so it wouldn't fit in your pocket).

>Unless the Switch gets a cheaper version, the handheld market just wont come
I'd imagine that they would release a cheaper version in a year or so, it would seem like the most sensible way to handle it from Nintendo's perspective.

>But they have for the entirety of the franchise
They also used to always make third versions, they stopped doing that with gen 5. They also didn't remake Hoenn in gen 5 despite the pattern hinting that they would do so. Game Freak have said that they don't want to stick to patterns and they want to surprise people. Unless they feel like they can do something really amazing with Sun/Moon's engine, they may as well not bother making another gen 7 game and they should just focus on making gen 8 as good as it can be.
>>
>>32073858
>The Switch is actually pretty durable and there are many people who carry around iPads and laptops with them that are far larger and more expensive than a Switch.
And those people will continue to carry those around with no need to carry a Switch around.
As somebody who actually owns a switch this isn't durable and its really clunky to carry around. Was very disappointed in this aspect, as are many people around here. Most use it as a strict home console they can take to the toilet.
It's more a proof of concept than something you can carry around.
>>32073858
>Also the 3DS XL and 2DS were never exactly portable either.
Which is why nintendo screwed the pooch only bringing the N3DS XL Statewide. Those were options rather than something people would jump on, and just for that reason.

The Switch makes me really sad. It's a death sentence to handheld gaming and some people, a clear market of people, don't want to switch to smartphone's superficial for gaming on the go. Now we're left with...pretty much nothing.
>>
>>32073025
I don't like the game and I will be getting the next one.
>>
>>32073904
I own a Switch and I can say that it is durable. The only thing real issue is that the screen can scratch if you're not careful, but that can be remedied with a screen protector, and the joycons can detach. The 3DS is too bulky to fit in your pocket anyway (at least if you already have your phone and wallet in your pockets) so it's the sort of thing that you'd put in a bag (and a bag would have plenty of space for much larger things like a Switch and its case).

Besides, the line between handheld gaming and home console gaming is incredibly blurry anyway. The 3DS had plenty of ports of home console games while home consoles are getting ports of indie games and other games that would also be feasible on a handheld. The only thing the 3DS had going for it, from a hardware perspective, was its respectable battery life and its size.

If they made a "Switch Lite" (for lack of a better term) that had double the battery life and was about as small as the Switch's tablet part with the controls being part of the console rather than being detachable, it would be perfect. I just really don't want to be forced to buy two different pieces of hardware to play Nintendo games. Especially since they overprice Nintendo hardware everywhere outside the USA.
>>
>>32073823
Well that's pretty much the same as 2

>>32073858
The handheld market shrinking is different from it dying. The 3DS has sold 60 million and has at least another year left in it.

Having to carry around games in a pouch is different from carrying the console in a pouch. Ipads and Laptops are much more important than a game console, and a console this expensive will deter people from wanting to bring it everywhere

>If they made a "Switch Lite" (for lack of a better term) that had double the battery life and was about as small as the Switch's tablet part with the controls being part of the console rather than being detachable, it would be perfect.
That's what we've been saying. But let me tell you, console gamers who wanted a hybrid is a much smaller market than handheld players who do

>>32073909
I felt this way at the beginning of the Gen, but not anymore.
>>
If they don't implement hms again or a more personalised experience than pokeride or whatever I don't think I'm coming back. Which hurts, but there's literally nothing left for me here now and if they don't reverse on that change they aren't gunna reverse on anything. Just give me crystal-Ish game again but bigger and better graphics- simple but immensely playable and deeply personal
>>
>>32073596
Same brother. I thought that i was the only who really enjoyed the story of SM.
>>
>>32073596
I am a little jealous desu, I had pretty much the opposite experience. I missed the dungeuns a tonne and it hampered my whole experience. When I entered Mt Lanakila, I turned back to stock up on items, excited at what lay ahead for the Victory Road, I came back and just walked through a straight empty cave. It was the most disappointing part of the whole game and definitely affected how I felt about it afterwards

The region is always the most important part of the game for me so if this is the new normal Im done.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.