[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Chikorita line the most forgettable starter? I mean I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 152Chikorita.png (627KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
152Chikorita.png
627KB, 1280x1280px
Is the Chikorita line the most forgettable starter? I mean I rarely hear about it and when I do it's usually in regard to the anime; so what gives, why does nobody talk about the plant dino?
>>
I think most people just choose fire or water starters most of the time and just talk mostly about those starters. (Except Rowlet.)
>>
It's because there are no gyms in johto that are weak against grass, also meganium looks gay as fuck
>>
>>32070368
>also meganium looks gay as fuck
fuck off Meganium looks great
>>
>>32070375
Meganium is pretty ugly.
Trust me, I made the Bayleef thread earlier and noone likes it.
Cute head leaf > dumb antennae
>>
>>32070462
Meganium a best
>>
>>32070462
I like Bayleaf. Meganium is just mediocre for a starter considering grass (by itself) isn't the best defensive typing.
>>
I like chikorita
>>
>>32070283

It's the least interesting design of any starter in the series. Same for its evolutions.
>>
>>32070627
Nah, Charizard (not mega) and Typhlosion are way less interesting.
>>
>>32070636
I don't like Charizard, but don't kid yourself. Charizard's design is iconic and perfectly captures what Pokemon is about.

I'll give you Typhlosion though. It looks like an oversized sponge. My Legos have better fire effects than it
>>
It's also the worst starter in competitive play I think, I doesn't really have a niche nowdays that isn't outclassed.
>>
>>32071104
I get why it's iconic and why kids may have liked it back than, but that doesn't mean it's any interesting. Its megas really show how much better it could have been. Vanilla Charizard pales in comparison of so many Pokémon when you take your nostalgia goggles off.
>>
>>32071187
Yeah but the fact we are discussing is memorability, and Charizard is like a second mascot to Pokemon. The OG starters are just too memorable to even enter discussion here, and if anything, venasaur is the one that's fucked.
>>
>>32071242
Of course they are memorable, they started one of the most popular game franchises in hystory. If Charizard was released right now with the same design it has in Gen 1, it wouldn't be impressive at all though.
>>
File: CqoP7XtXgAANxLG.jpg (23KB, 392x261px) Image search: [Google]
CqoP7XtXgAANxLG.jpg
23KB, 392x261px
Meganium is unironically my favorite Pokémon. My first Pokémon game was Silver and I couldn't remember what Chikorita's final evolution was, but I knew I liked Bayleef so I picked it. It took me like a week to beat Falkner and then another to beat Bugsy. Even after I caught Lugia, Meganium was the star of my team. I never deleted Razor Leaf because I liked it. His final moveset was Razor Leaf, Synthesis, Solar Beam, and I think Cut. I can't remember too well but I think the final move was Cut, but I might have replaced it with something else at some point. I put around 250 hours into that game, which was a lot when I was in elementary/middle school. There was no Battle Tower or anything in Silver so I would catch Pokémon I liked and train them, but I never put Meganium into the PC even once. The only time he wasn't in my party was when I bred a Chikorita. At some point during middle school I started making Pokémon cards in Photoshop and I ended up making like 20 Meganium. I have really great memories of exploring the Johto region with Meganium and imagining I was riding on his back. I used to think Celebi/Mew/etc were obtainable and I was going to be the first one to figure out how. When the battery died I cried for like an hour even though I was in like eighth grade by then. I wrote his stats down somewhere at some point but I lost them. I still remember he had 343 HP, though. I always choose Meganium whenever I can and in Black 2 I transferred a Chikorita to use. I pretend it's the same Meganium I had in Silver which is kind of childish but it's okay. Right now I'm playing a ROM hack of Crystal that adds stuff from the newer games and it has been a very moving experience. Thank you for listening to my story.
>>
>>32071354
That's hella cute anon. Did you give it a nickname?
>>
>>32071400
No, I just called him Meganium. I used to think nicknaming was stupid.
>>
>>32070283
My first and most used starter in GSC, I actually like the Chikorita line--it just hasn't aged well
>>
>>32071266
I get your point then. I'm not sure I agree, but yeah, Charizard compared to dragon style pokemon from the last 6 gens is nothing special. I guess timing is key in the memorability of a pokemon, not only design. I can think of inverse examples, where a design is very unique, but it just never became popular or took off so it could become "iconic", like, for example, Glalie or Absol.
>>
>>32071354
That's really cute anon. I think many of us know the terrible experience of a cartridge-battery dying, it really sucks. I've never felt attached to a Pokémon until this gen, actually, and loosing my save file would have been way worse if that was the case at the time.
>>
>>32071463
My copy of Yellow still hasn't died despite me putting hours into it. What should I do?
>>
>>32071494
Same, actually, my Yellow copy is the only one still alive, which is weird since it's the first one I got (I got Red, Blue, Gold and Crystal later and they all died years ago). I already had all my Pokémon from Yellow transferred to Gen 2, though, so all that was lost anyway. Do you still have your original save file?
>>
>>32071494
get a save backup device and transfer it to the virtual console version! https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/4w8xjf/guide_how_to_backup_your_game_save_files/
>>
>>32070462

>not knowing what stamen are
>>
>>32071532
Hell yes I do. Let me find some double A's first.
>>32071547
Holy shit, that's amazing. I dunno if it's worth the 50 though.
>>
File: PokePark_US_boxart.png (691KB, 711x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PokePark_US_boxart.png
691KB, 711x1000px
>>32070283
I get the impression Chikorita is far more popular in Japan than in the west. Not only was it the most prominent Jhoto starter in the anime with the most personality, it was also a main character in the anime special about the first Mystery Dungeon game, and also a main character in the first PokePark along with Charmander, Piplup and Pikachu. At the very least it seems to represent Jhoto better than the other two starters for the inmediate japanese audience.
>>
File: Chikorita var 1 Pokemon.png (385KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Chikorita var 1 Pokemon.png
385KB, 850x1100px
>>32070283
Chikorita line is my favorite among the starters, not for its usability(Which could use some work), but for the sheer simplicity in its design. And starting my first pokemon journey with Todadile, I seen firsthand what it does in best rival's hands.
>>
>>32071791
I never realized...Thought they loved their Cyndaquil.
>>
>>32072675
>that bottom right
UHHHHHHHH
>>
>>32070283
Chespin line are the least popular and most irrelevant ones.
>>
>>32070283
Torterra exists.
>>
File: Chikorita var 2 Pokemon.png (354KB, 850x800px) Image search: [Google]
Chikorita var 2 Pokemon.png
354KB, 850x800px
>>32072881
It loves its Malasadas.
>>
File: 1482113495624.png (3MB, 2372x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1482113495624.png
3MB, 2372x1650px
>>32070283
Quite the opposite. I personally love the dinopear and I have seen it a lot in the form of plushies and stickers.
>>
I respect the plant. I like to believe that Chikorita was the first legitimate difficulty decision in pokemon. Let's be honest the Johto starters dictate the start of the game. Cyn being easy, Totes being normal, and our boy Chiko being the hard route. Boy's fucking worthless in almost every gym and he (you) can still beat the league.
>>
>>32071354
Thank you for sharing, I wish /vp/ had more posts like this.
>>
>>32070283
it's my favorite starter line
>>
>>32070283
I love Chiko and Bayleef but Meganium feels really boring to me somehow
>>
>>32074044
Meganium is boring in design and stats.
If it kept the leaf head and at the very least the red eyes it would have been better.
>>
Gold/Silver is the only Gen I can't claim a favorite starter.

Every play through I alternate between Chiko and Cyndaquil.

Never played a Totodile game.
>>
>>32070283
cyndaquil is a not that great special attacker

totodile is a water type physical attacker

Chikorita is a bukly, poison inflicting, self-healing, support beast! For me the only choice in gen 2 is the grass choice, has been forever
>>
>>32070283
>Is the Chikorita line the most forgettable starter?
No, that would be Gen 4 starter. It kind of sad those fucker would get the mega treatment or something special before Gen 2 starters.
>>
>>32074082
Chikorita is also ultimate challenge mode
Falkner sweeps you with gust
Fury cutter just gets stronger
Rollout wrecks, unless you can para/poison
All of morty's dudes are poison
Chuck gets rekt
Steel resists grass
Ice super on grass
Dragon resists and everything seems to know fire move in claire's gym
>>
>>32074114
Forgot to mention my lord and savior geodude
Wrecks every gym with stab, except chuck and morty
>>
>>32070368

seriously if you put Meganium in any other region, it would have been liked more.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.