[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure where to start with Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: feeltheberne.jpg (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
feeltheberne.jpg
90KB, 500x500px
Wife loves Pokemans, has since she was a teen, but I never really understood it I guess. It got popular when I was still in school, and it got passed up by a lot of people I know to watch other anime.

Basically, I have an outsiders analysis of Pokemon, the South Park episode and some youtube shit, and want to get into it. Where do I start? I've begun playing PokeMMO, and that's pretty cool, but the anime itself is really dry to me. Where should I start looking? Any youtubers or sites over pokemon I should look at? Why the fuck is Ash still a kid?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>31898183
Pro tip OP. If you don't like the anime now you never will.
I'd recommend playing the games starting with gen 1. And by that I mean playing firered or leafgreen.
>Emulators.
>>
Don't start with Gen 1 OP, start with BW and then play BW2
>>
>>31898381
>wanting to ruin pokemon for him right away
>>
>>31898183
>>31898394
This.
Its better if you have the chance to play em all OP.
Make your own decision on what games you like.
>>
File: IMG_20170224_185439.jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_185439.jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>31898183

A serious /vp/oreon here, just play them in order, but in emulators and play the remakes

>Firered or Greenleaf
>Soul Silver Heartgold is shit
>Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby, you can also play Emerald if you don't wanna make the switch to 3D too soon
>Platinum, ignore DP
>I've never played Gen V so I don't know for sure, but you should play both, Black or White, then Black 2 or White 2
>X or Y, but I wouldn't say that it's too bad to skip them if you played ORAS already
>And finally Sun or Moon

You could also play some spin-off games in between, some of my recommendations are the Ranger Trilogy, Conquest, Battle Revolution for the Wii is great but it takes too much time, Duel for smartphones is ok as a time killer, also Shuffle for smartphones or Troized for Ds.>>31898219

I would strongly recommend for you to get into Pokemon not only for your wife, but it's really fun, despite everything it's a great community I'm glad to form part of since it doesn't have a much cancer as Undertale, FNAF or Minecraft; not that I've play those, just some examples of toxic communities full of children.

Pokemon is played seriously by people mostly above 20 y/o, the competitive is good when you get used to it, either VGC which is for the games on the systems, or SMOGON, which is used on Showdown.

Anyway, it will for sure make your marriage more fun and give you an inside on your wife, I hope my advice was helpful :^)
>>
File: 1453147385558.jpg (130KB, 485x361px) Image search: [Google]
1453147385558.jpg
130KB, 485x361px
>>31898183
If you wanna get into the games, for each generation you should play
>Gen 1 = Fire Red/Leaf Green
>Gen 2 = Heart Gold/Soul Silver
>Gen 3 =Emerald
>Gen 4 = Platinum
>Gen 5 = Black 2/White 2
>Gen 6 = Y
>Gen 7 = Moon

If you don't want to play seven different games, HGSS, Pt, and B2W2 are considered the best, so just play one of those. Alternatively, Sun/Moon are also the most recent ones if you're interested in the most recent additions. There's also pounds of spinoff games of varrying quality that may be fun to check out.

Pokemon games are not incredibly difficult. If you are interested in the more competitive side, however, the Smogon forums have made a fan set of rules and tiers that are widely used among the community. Pokemon Showdown is a browser application that you can use to battle people right on your computer. It cuts down on the nitty gritty stat management, letting you make pokemon just how you want them right away.

The anime is lame, so don't bother. Ash never ever wins a tournament, Ash never ever gets the girl, Ash never ever catches them all and becomes a pokemon master, Ash never ever grows up and matures as a character. It's just a kids show. I dunno if the anime is a guilty pleasure for your girl or what, but it's not necessary to understand and appreciate pokemon. Some of the fight scenes in the later series actually have some cool moments, so I guess start later in for that.

Serebii is a good site for general pokemon news and knowledge. Bulbapedia is run by a pedo, but I guess it works too.
>>
>>31898183
There are plenty of "poketubers" but... Let's say they're an acquired taste? You'll probably have to browse a bit before you find one that you can enjoy. I tend to at least tolerate Bird Keeper Toby.
Serebii.net is good for news and has helpful information when you're playing the games.
>>
>>31898183
Just start with Pokemon Sun or Pokemon Moon.

You could do the previous games if you wanted
Gen 1 - Red/Blue/Yellow (GB)
Gen 2 - Gold/Silver/Crystal (GB)
Gen 3 - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald + Fire Red/Leaf Green (GBA)
Gen 4 - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum + Heart Gold/Soul Silver (DS)
Gen 5 - Black/White + Black 2/White 2 (DS)
Gen 6 - X/Y + Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
Gen 7 - Sun/Moon (3DS)

Serebii.net is your friend. It's got stuff on news and ALL the game mechanics there.

And Ash has been a kid for over 15 years because...the pokemon anime prints money.
>>
>>31898183
She don't you just tell your wife you're interested in her hobby and you'd like to try to get into it yourself? It's that fucking simple, you'll make her damn happy and on top of that you won't have to work that much since she'll do everything for you to get into the series.
>>
>>31900720
Replace she with why
>>
>>31898183
Play gen 1, see how flawed it is, then go from there. You need to have some respect for the roots. I would just suggest playing them in order form there but it's probably best to go to gen 3 and ruby and sapphire and Emerald and then maybe the gen 1 remakes to see what got fixed.
>>
>>31898183
>wife

nice try, faggot
>>
File: squirtlesquirtle.jpg (118KB, 600x977px) Image search: [Google]
squirtlesquirtle.jpg
118KB, 600x977px
>>31898183
PokeMMO is pretty much just 3rd Gen Pokemon with some things thrown in to make it technically an MMO, and the breeding system completely redone to function both as a money sink and to make it so you can't just pump out infinite Pokemon to sell on the auction house.

And by that I mean it literally requires ROMs of 3rd gen Pokemon games to pull data from. So you've technically already seen a bit of either Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen or Pokemon Emerald, depending on whether you started in Kanto or Hoenn.

Honestly, I would recommend switching from playing PokeMMO to just playing the ROMs themselves using Visual Boy Advance for your 3rd-gen Pokemon experience. PokeMMO makes a lot of changes away from the standard formula- mostly impacting your in-game income- in the name of making it an "MMO", such as the aforementioned breeding system, the severe nerfing of Berry farming and the Pickup ability (both of which would normally function as a way to farm for cash and other items), and the severe undercutting of how much cash you get from Trainer battles

After all, if you could get enough cash to play through the game from what you can do in "single player", then the only real purpose of the MMO capabilities become pretty much what you can do using the online functionality of the current-gen 3DS games and the novelty of seeing other PCs in your game world.
>>
>>31898183
Play ONE of the games, it doesn't matter which one, but only play ONE. They don't change much, and you'll just be grinding for hours anyways.

Once you've played ONE Pokemon game, go onto PokemonShowdown and embrace the memes.
>>
What are the dice from? I know I've seen them from some cartoon but I cant remember.
>>
>>31902046
The Spongebob episode "Sailor Mouth"
>>
File: lol.png (1MB, 1500x1150px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
1MB, 1500x1150px
>>31902058
Thx mate, was really bothering me.
>>
>>31898793
>Duel
Shitty phone game for people who can't into competitive to feel good about rolling a dice.

You should've at least mentioned Mystery Dungeon, as another great spinoff of gen3/4/5/6. Just play Sky, if you don't want to get into it too deep, otherwise any Rescue Team, Sky, and GtI if you like the story or Super if you like the gameplay.
Kudos for mentioning Ranger at least, your post is otherwise perfect.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.