[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people on /vp/ complain about wanting a non-linear game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: prism.jpg (405KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
prism.jpg
405KB, 640x640px
Why do people on /vp/ complain about wanting a non-linear game that's difficult, a good selection of pokemon, plenty of puzzles, and a non-obtrusive plot, finally get it, then complain about those same exact features or cheat around them with guides?
>>
>>31872723
Because we don't know what we want.
>>
>>31872849
oh

okay
>>
Because all of vp isn't one person surprisingly enough
>>
I liked Prism and didn't resort to any guides, though.

I also don't care about difficulty in Pokemon one way or another, but that's a whole other discussion.
>>
Are you talking about pokemon prism? Because I'm playing it right now, and it's not a non-linear game at all. I would say the selection of pokemon and difficulty is alright, and the puzzles are... very hard. The ruins thingy with the colored levers is just unsufferable.

I can clearly see pokemon prism was a game made with certain love and a lot of good ideas, they're just not very well executed. Which is normal, because game desing is hard, so we'll have to push a little more to get a game that is both interesting and well-polished.
>>
>>31873204
This
I don't want all of those things, I would like more puzzles but I love the story and wouldn't like a return to the barebones plots of before.
>>
File: You eeeeediot.jpg (19KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
You eeeeediot.jpg
19KB, 210x240px
Can someone please give me a link to actually GET Prism?
>>
>>31872723
because it's a gen 2 hack and gen 2 sucks
>>
File: supersand.png (169KB, 597x440px) Image search: [Google]
supersand.png
169KB, 597x440px
>>31874793
here you fucking faggot, google is so fucking hard isnt it

https://www.etsy.com/listing/489590082/pokemon-prism-gameboy-color-gb-gbc-gba?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_d-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=bef4d1b4-9b1f-4363-83bd-47920320004b&gclid=COvC_f33pNICFcW2wAod1YMNkw

https://www.etsy.com/listing/269477748/gameboy-color-pokemon-prism-customized?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_d-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=bef4d1b4-9b1f-4363-83bd-47920320004b&gclid=COCokZX4pNICFZGLaQodgsMDwQ

https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/0031719199105-pokemon-prism-version-nintendo-video-game-cartridge-us-ver-game-boy-color-154011523.htm?from=googleshop_us&adwords=Y&gclid=CIanxJX4pNICFQ6MaQodZasGXw
>>
>>31874793
and if your a poorfag

http://www.arcadespot.com/game/pokemon-prism/
>>
>>31872723
Which game is that supposed to be? Cause I didn't see anything that fit that description at all
>>
File: But it is, Cory.jpg (75KB, 547x692px) Image search: [Google]
But it is, Cory.jpg
75KB, 547x692px
>>31875038
This free version doesn't look that legit, to be honest. Isn't there supposed to be character customization?
>>
>>31874793
https://dropfile.to/v6XQomF
>>
/vp/ will never be satisfied
>>
>>31877177
btw its just the .gbc file. Everything else in the original folder is textures and shit.
>>
>>31875108
It's an old beta.
>>
File: hypocrites.png (25KB, 507x565px) Image search: [Google]
hypocrites.png
25KB, 507x565px
>>31872723
>>
>>31875018
These carts are of old Prism betas. Those versions at the start have a screen saying "If you bought this game you got ripped off."

Did they even play what they put on those carts? Idiots.
>>
>>31877379
Then where do I get the finalest version?
>>
File: 1475190779990.png (127KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475190779990.png
127KB, 500x500px
>>31872723
>/vp/ is one person
I loved Prism for exactly those reasons and praised it repeatedly the week it got released. I've been looking forward to Prism since like '10, almost to the point where I thought it would turn out like Duke Nukem Forever, and even though it was leaked unfinished it exceeded my wildest expectations.
>>
>>31878141
It's strange, but vp's opinion of Prism is right in the middle. I've seen around the same people liking it as I did disliking it. I've never seen any other game on vp treated like that.
>>
>>31878590
It's understandable, I think. Prism may have some later-Gen features like the split and abilities, but at its heart it is definitely an old-school Pokémon game in design. A lot of /vp/ is young, if not underage, and grew up with the newer generations. There are probably people on /vp/ who started with Gen 6 or 7. They're used to linear, more-casual-than-usual games that handhold excessively, and playing an old-school RPG with puzzles and possibly confusing progression (I never got lost in Prism because I play a lot of old-school RPGs but there are people who couldn't get out of Viridian City in the VC release of RBY) probably puts them out of their comfort zone.

I have siblings who have friends who have only played Mario Party 9 and beyond, and when a sibling had them play Mario Party 2 and 3, two of the best games in the series, they were uncomfortable and considered the actual competitiveness fostered by the (still party) games to be a turn-off.

Some people are just too used to modern gaming to enjoy classic games or classic-style games. I actually think it's better overall today than five years ago just because Dark Souls hit mainstream and made people interested in games that didn't hold your hand the entire way.
>>
>>31873290

The puzzles weren't that bad. Now Pokemon Vega, that is some bullshit with the gym puzzles.
>>
Prism was... just fine, to be honest.
Yeah i liked the puzzles and stuff, those were hard enough. And the difficulty was nice playing in set mode, of course harder than mainstream new pokemon games.
The thing is the story was pretty awful, in my opinion. The only character that got SOMETHING as character development was palette black. Also, the main story was unfinished when you got to the pokemon league, which is a huge killer for me.
Outside of the story, i loved the new sprites and the custom. That was nice. The new types were completely unnecessary, though. And some way of seeing actual power of the new moves would have been great. The cities were kinda similar to each other, too. And the map was just slightly confusing.

I think the game lacked some more development in these areas. I get that you want it to feel like GSC or RBY but you could do that AND fix some problems these generations had.
>>
>>31873290
brainlet detected
>>
>>31872723
I love it thus far. I'm only about 5 gyms in and I've progressed to the provincial park. Still seems like I've got a lot of game left.

Rate my team and give me some suggestions if you have them.

>Tyranitar (of course)
>Gallade
>Togekiss
>Ampharos (might need to get him replaced since I have decent coverage against water and flying)
>Typholsion (might replace with Magmortar)
>Ludicolo

So I want a Scizor on my team since Scizor is one of my favorite Pokémon. Might replace Ampharos with him.
>>
The absurd level spike towards the end mixed with the Battle Arcade being required made me drop the game
>>
do abilities work outside of battle?
>>
>>31872723
Because the audience changed
It's been many, many years since the beta
>>
>>31881397
I agree, the towns were really similar, the map is really confusing due to the caves everywhere, and I would argue these are some of the worst problems in this game.

Most of the towns are these new towns that were just built, with old people complaining that things used to be better and several people who think nature is the best and technology is the worst and it makes people weaker (mostly gym leaders). Which is a very bare-bones and simplistic take on this issue. We don't ever see any problem in the wild. There are no toxic spills or mass deforestation, just people building buildings. Theme apart, there is no concrete theme that sets most towns apart, besides minigames that don't set a tone (and the board game is bullshit and the guy knows it).

I can tell the focus of desing in pokemon prism was wild pokemon grill, customization and certain challenges, but the meat of the game which is routes and caves are all also very similar and unexciting.

Again, game design is hard and it's difficult to plan all these things out. But it's important to realise what makes a game engaging and a level interesting.
>>
>>31875018
I find it hard to believe most people on /vp/ are playing this on cart.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.