[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

File: fat-mac2.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fat-mac2.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
So, never been into the online side of these games. I'm curious, do you guys pick your favorite mons and adapt a playstyle to your team? Or do you just go by numbers and pick the statistically "best" ones? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

Pic not even a little related
>>
copy what's good
find a way to shoehorn my favs into the team

not the best way to play if you seriously want to be competitive and win, but i dont really care.
if i cant use pokemon i like then i have no interest in playing at all
>>
>>31828927
>if i cant use pokemon i like then i have no interest in playing at all
There are so many Pokémon that I love just for their look or origin (or because I somehow feel like I identify with them). But many of them are unusable because everybody uses the same Pokémon because muh stats

I wish stats were encrypted in the games somehow. In the Pokémon universe, people played with the Pokémon they had bonds with. In the games, people play whatever is a pseudo-Uber (or choose a pre-wrapped team they found on Smogon), and it takes away from the uniqueness of the game.
>>
Only using your bros is a very close minded way of playing. Going outside your circle of favorites can give you a new appreciation for pokemon you previously dismissed.
>>
>>31829006
That's true, but "new pokemon you previously dismissed" typically means "what are the strongest pokemon in OU?"
>>
The statistically best ones are sometimes beaten by gimmicks.
Find out what gimmics and strategies suit you best.
>>
>>31829006
>all their "bros" are OU pokemon
>>
>>31828897
4 legendaries + 1 mega + 1 Tapu
>>
>>31829040
>muh Pachirisu
>>
>>31829034
>>31829042
I've seen plenty of people dismiss a pokemon for being ou. Plus, there's other tiers to play. My time in randoms last gen, for example, made me love swoobat. Something I never would have previously considered.
>>
>>31829042
I was playing online yesterday when i was challenged by what was probably a twelve year old. He had all ubers.
Mega fug
Kyerum white
Primal groudon with solar beam of all things and primal kyogre
Arceus normal
Something else uber

Either way he lost because none of pokemon could beat tapu lele mimickyu, and pheromosa at all.
>>
I despise smogon so I just breed a team of my bros and play casually against my friends and online, sure you'll occasionally get owned by ou the team. But it's still fun nonetheless
>>
>>31829108
Fuck the smogonfags, use you're bros /vp/oreons!
>>
>>31829108
>despise smogon
>still use thier sets anyway
>>
>>31829006
I agree, found gogoat and pangoro as new bros by trying new mons. Rewarding.
>>
>>31829040
Elaborate on "gimmicks".. Specifically ones that can break ultragod super tier or whatever the top competitive tier is.I don't play online, but it's interesting to read about.

Also, is this smogon tier Shit official in any way? Or is it basically community driven and accepted?

Again, pic not at all related
>>
>>31829306
Community. VGC is the official one
>>
>>31828897
copy whatever is healthy meta
>>
>>31829306
its 100% community driven (and it is perfectly happy if people that don't like it ignore it)

t. smogonfag
>>
>>31829306
Gimmicks include pokemon that if allowed to can one shot any other pokemon.
Take Aron for instance with the ability sturdy it can surive any one hit just fine.
Use endeavor to make the oppenent have one hp.
Then recover the lost hp with berry juice.
One attack later and youve just killed tapu lele with a level 1 aron.
This is just summing up just one gimmick though its not the full method.

Or try out mimickyu. With its free substitute and holding a red card. You can get a free swords dance and sweep relatively ok.
As mimickyu is very special defensive it can surive a lot of punishment from non super effective special hits. And throw the momentum in your favor with ease.?
>>
>>31829306
everythingfunny.org
>>
Or try out the recycle cheek pouch sitrus berry emolga.
The thing is impossible to kill. And if you wanted to you could make it immortal by baton passing a double team to it.
>>
>>31829391
>Google search
Don even care

>>31829387
Wouldn't using a mon with decent speed handle that scenario?
>>
>>31829306
Smogon is community driven and pretty much accepted
>>
Usually you look at what's good and pick your favorite out of those.
>>
>>31829306
>Or is it basically community driven and accepted?
It's autists driven and rejected by anyone who appreciates the spirit of the game.
>>
>>31829532
Elaborate? Isn't part of the game battling... Being "the very best"?
>>
>>31829566
>cookie cutter teams/movesets
>le "win buttons"

Yeah, you could say the point of the game is to win and be the best, but if you have to resort to copypasting strategy you're kind of spitting in the face of the Pokemon universe.

The elite 4 and champion don't all use the same team of ubers. They choose their poekmon based on bond not stats
>>
>>31829416
The berry juice restores a level 1 arons hp completely so sturdy is activated over and over again.
The only thing that beats it is multi hitting moves.
>>
>>31829622
Yeah but the e4 also arent trying to win against broken shit.
>>
>>31829622
I see you..

So is a team of ubers and legendaries just devoid of strategy? Or is it just dumbed down because of the stars?

For example, never playing competitive, could I run 6 ubers n have a chance?
>>
>>31829635
Understood
>>
File: IMG_1341.jpg (125KB, 648x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1341.jpg
125KB, 648x900px
>>31829668
Look at whats worked before and plan around having to beat the most common threats.
>>
>>31829635
and taunt, toxic, leech seed, rocky helmet, rough skin, hail, leftovers too I think.
>>
>>31829668
>So is a team of ubers and legendaries just devoid of strategy? Or is it just dumbed down because of the stars?
No and no.

Any team is going to have advantages and disadvantages, and any team is going to need to be able to counter anything your opponent throws at you.

I'm just talking about a problem I have with the smogon community in general.
>>
>>31829697
Also entry hazards
>>
>>31828897
My favorites are the ones I enjoy the playstyle of. I don't understand why people can't separate gameplay and design in terms of appreciation for a mon.

>>31829622
>They choose their poekmon based on bond not
nigga
>>
>>31829730
Gameplay and design appreciation don't always mesh. Ledian, for example. A lot if people love the design, but apparently it's Shit competitively.

I'm curious as to where most people fall as far as usage in a competitive environment. Cuz sweeping story modes with no faints is beyond easy.
>>
>>31829806
My comment on why people can't separate wasn't directed at you, my bad. It was directed at the people who are like "FUCK SMOGON/META USE POKEMON YOU LIKE" and every time I think of fighting games, with a bunch of characters I love their designs for but I like the playstyle of ones I don't really like the design. So of fucking course I'm gonna play what I like to play rather than what I like looking at.
>>
>>31829856
So can a shitmon you like be learned, be made competitive by practice and a good user? Like in fighters. Or do sheer numbers make that impossible?
>>
OP go ask elsewhere. This place is full of people who despise competitive play even though they know bat shit about it. And apparently trying to win by working out numbers is not a valid way to play.
>>
>>31829913
>ask elsewhere

Bub, you think there is anywhere else but this Vietnamese Glove Appreciation board to ask?
>>
>>31829901
Ledian and macargo along with dustox will only ever be useful in game. Due to sheer numbers.
>>
>>31829901
Well, the way Smogon works is that pokemon are "tiered" in a way that Pokemon that don't perform very well are placed in a lower tier, where the stronger mons aren't allowed. But then there are some borderline irredeemable mons, like Lilligant. It has one of my favorite designs, but even in its tier it's borderline unusable.

Some bad mons can work in competitive, people have been in top 100 of the ladder with garbage like Ursaring in their team See; Heatah Fajita but it's super rare and using something like Ursaring puts you at an objective disadvantage, because there are many mons that fill its role way better.
>>
>>31829901
>
So one pokemon that I really like is Lilligant bcause i used her in BW and i wanted to see her competitively
This was back on ORAS so I usually ran these 4
Mega Charizard Y(drought, cuases sunlight)
Lilligant (chlorophyll, which means she gets boosted from sunlight)
Ninetales (another drought)
Some othet shit i cant remember atm

I just chose a shit mon I liked and then build a team around it.
the 2015 world champ won with a pachirisu, and ultimate shit mon to prove that any mon is viable.
>>
>>31829931
Is that the extent of it, those 3?

Are there any mons who outperform thier numbers? That can be better than they should be due to a great player and/or strategy?
>>
>>31829982
>any shitmon is viable
Thats just plain false
>>
>>31829982

this was on teh actual game, not smogon
>>
>>31829996
i dont believe in it myself but that was his claim
>>
>>31829982
>the 2015 world champ won with a pachirisu, and ultimate shit mon to prove that any mon is viable
Pachirisu wasn't a shitmon in that format, it wasn't exact top tier in viability but it had a niche that was proven to be effective previously. The person who used it did not pick Pachirisu because it was his favorite, but because the niche it provided worked extremely well with the rest of his team.
>>
>>31829982
So are you or this champ actually using these shitmon to any effect, or are they basically filler? Damage sponges?

(reading your lilligant team, I assume yes to the former)
>>
>>31829996
So which are viable?
>>
>>31830041
I used lilligant as a spatker
I should I lost 9/10 games tho on battle spot
>>
>>31828897
Pick my favorite mons of the mons that are already good, make a few exceptions.
>>31829056
>using legendaries
w0t
>>31829622
dude ash always gets his ass kicked at the end of the league for that exact reason, every single time.
>>
>>31830056
Its not up to me to tell you. Find out on your own. Whats viable and works out for whatever style you like to play.
To eaxh thier own. Just don't expect to win with magickarp against an alakazam.
>>
>>31829996
generally you can take at least 1 shitmon and throw it into a decent team and it's going to do something decent as well, if you use its niche right.
but some mons just have no niche, and another mon does exactly what it does, but better
(see flygon vs garchomp).
>>
>>31828897
Well you can use your "bros" and still beat shitters who have full OU teams, you just won't be able to climb the ladder 2bh.
>>
>>31829982
>to prove that any mon is viable.
That is not at all why he used pachirisu.
>>
File: 117d40fe2fa32344a32673a4d28ed11e.jpg (512KB, 1070x1300px) Image search: [Google]
117d40fe2fa32344a32673a4d28ed11e.jpg
512KB, 1070x1300px
>>31830168
And a sneasel could even best mega rayquaza if givin the chance
>>
>>31830152
So the players skill is more important than the mons numbers? Even at top tier where everyone's basically level? Within reason, a skilled player can take down a great team with solid team and a sound strategy?
>>
>>31830199
sneasel idk why you'd use, but jolly weavile can fakeout+icicle crash with life orb to kill jolly MRay, 100%.
>>
>>31830322
lolno game has too much luck
maybe in a bo9.
but most people here aren't worlds-class players, so it's good enough for them.
>>
>this thread

holy shit people weren't kidding when they said /vp/ is shit at competitive
>>
>>31829532
Where else am I supposed to use my shitmons? They get torn apart by battlespot. Lower tiers are all they have.

>cookie cutter
Never got this one. I could look at a pokemon and make a set very similar to smogon's on my own. It's common sense and knowledge of the meta that shapes a build. I'm going to run regenerator stallpex over merciless because it's clearly better, not the opposite to stick it to the man.
>>
>>31830383
This.
>>
>>31830383
pokemon isnt even competitive, and ignoring that, all these idiots play is singles anyway.
>>
>>31830407
>>31830383

Complaining about Shit competitive in a thread made for a newbie OP

You don't even deserve green text
>>
>>31830486
Yeah kek, fuck the smogonbabbies. Doubles masterace. Everyone knows it's the canon and most balanced meta.
>>
>>31829982
>>the 2015 world champ won with a pachirisu, and ultimate shit mon to prove that any mon is viable.
Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm not sure what's more amazing, how you got the year wrong or how you got why he used Pachirisu in first place wrong.

/vp/ is truly the asshole of the internet for competitive talk. The worst part is that most people don't even realize it, they think they are the hottest piece of shit anyway.
>>
File: stop.jpg (67KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
67KB, 576x432px
>>31829982
>the 2015 world champ won with a pachirisu, and ultimate shit mon to prove that any mon is viable.

First of all, 2014. Second of all, he didn't go out of his way to prove jack shit. He chose pachirisu because it had follow me, nuzzle, and super fang. It also had just enough bulk to survive certain moves that it needed to. Since the pool of follow me users is extremely limited, and the VGC 2014 rules dictated Kalos native pokemon, the only usable follow me user was Pachirisu.

The only reason that an overall shitmon like Pachirisu was usable was because of the arbitrary restrictions of the meta.
>>
>>31829965
They're all based on the usage stats
>>
I just run whatever. Half the time you get kids that dont even bother with EV training so most of your favorite shitmon can one shot a mega fug.
>>
>>31831506
>my tankchomp with very little speed investment outspeed my opponent's koko
The shit you see on battlespot is retarded
>>
>>31831644
Minus speed zero ivs for the ever present BattleSpot trick room set.
>>
well I like pokemon because of their designs and lore.
the game mechanics are a bit lack luster,so I only battle once in a while with shitmons like abra
>>
>>31829150
Using smogon singles OU sets on battle spot doubles.
>>
>>31829532

He found the thread. Time to go home, everyone.
>>
>>31833281
Smogon make VGC sets too though
>>
>>31828897
Who is that delicious muscle bound freak daddy?
>>
>>31828897
Who the fuck likes Ribombee or Oricorio? But they're going to be used in the doubles competition online next week alot by scrubs who don't know why or how to use them, so expect Tapu Koko and Xircutree to sweep flying faggots
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.