[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 48

File: Daily Reminder.gif (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Daily Reminder.gif
1MB, 480x360px
Discord: https://discord.gg/HfWa4Dg
IRC: irc.rizon.net #romhacking

Rom hacking
>Notable romhacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Making a romhack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP
>Gen 4-6 hack tools: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Disassemblies: https://github.com/pret/pokered https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal https://github.com/pret/pokeruby

RMXP/Essentials
>Engine: http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD
>Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki
>Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
>WIP Gen 5 tiles: http://imgur.com/a/CiudS

Places to share fangames:
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/
>http://reliccastle.com/forums/
>>
where's the drayano hack for sun and moon

I can't play vanilla pokemon anymore
>>
File: Just Pokédex.png (1MB, 1033x2784px) Image search: [Google]
Just Pokédex.png
1MB, 1033x2784px
Hey, /heg/, what do you guys reckon to my regional Pokédex? The region is based on the British isles so I've selected Pokémon based on animals indigenous to those countries. One of the themes I want for the game is habitat and animal migration, so we have things like Vullaby and Braviary slowly appearing in the region, just like real vultures and eagles being slowly introduced to Britain by Americans. Similarly, Pikachu and Eevee have started showing up too (Pikachu more commonly because it's the mascot, duh).

I'm not married to the 3D models as, while they look cool, I want to change a LOT of these for regional variants with new moves and abilities to fill in gaps that don't exist in Pokémon. So, for example, there'd be a grasshopper variant of Kricketot or a cuckoo version of Chatot, and Druddigon would be based on the red dragon on the Welsh flag.

The rarest type has 11 members including alternative forms, though that number could obviously change depending on new forms introduced.

Thoughts? Opinions? Should I destroy myself?
>>
>>31802011
Oh, and, duh, I forgot, some of the Pokémon were selected for thematic reasons, so we have Escavalier for a knight, various dragons and fairies based around British myths, Castform because of the British obsession with the weather and so on. If you want me to try to justify any choices you think are odd, let me know!
>>
>>31802011
>mixing starters
>>
Which thread am I looking for, to find somebody who can change the ball a Pokemon was caught in? Is this the right place?

Ideally looking to switch two IVs as well, but mostly the ball.
>>
>>31803090
You want the injection general, this one's for hacking roms and making fangames rather than hacking Pokémon into the game. This thread sometimes starts with a comment to that effect, I assume it was cut off by accident.
>>
>>31803327
Okay, thanks for the assist!
>>
>>31802011
Drop Ledyba and Ledian and its gold.
>>
>>31802011
Not to be rude about this but it seems like a bit of a mess in terms of dex order. There's some early game things which make sense order wise, though it's kinda weird how there's like 4 PikaClones and three birds. There's also a few things which don't make sense compared to the other stuff in the dex, like the Swinub linr being there but then nothing much else that fits in a cold climate being anywhere near it in the dex. As it is right now it seems like you just put Pokémon in as you were going along. A good thing to do is make the region first and then appropriately place the Pokémon in dex order based on how it goes in terms of game progression.

If you're subject to change I feel like there's a few lines which could just be removed from the dex, especially earlygame. No reason to have 6 early bugs or 3 early rodents, it just takes up dex slots for other things. Also a bit weird how there's Beedrill but no Butterfree.

Other than that it's solid. Not sure if it was intentional but I like the Archer/Mage/Knight theme with the starters.
>>
>>31803579
Ledian was a tough call because I *know* it's a shitmon. But it's also really popular and I want to give it the treatment it deserves. I'm hoping to give it a better movepool and perhaps a Mega to improve its stats.

Sunflora was another one I agonised over because I know that's similarly weak but I really wanted it for thematic reasons so, again, better moves and maybe a Mega may help it out.

>>31803640
No rudeness perceived! The Pokédex order is definitely not final, I worked out my list first then, when putting the image together, tried to do it in the style of the other regional Pokédexes and then found myself going "Ah, shit" a lot when I had stuff that should have really gone earlier or later! But, honestly, I couldn't be bothered to rearrange it all in case I kept changing my mind! I'll definitely take your advice and rearrange it to game order when the maps are all designed (next job on the list).

I was also a bit torn by the number of regional bugs/rodents/birds and, yeah, Pikaclones. It was largely as the ones here were close to real British animals (which was another reason Ledian made it, actually). And, I'm with you, it does feel weird to not have Butterfree with Beedrill but, then, I figured Wurmple killed a few Pokémon with one stone, so to speak!

I think with the birds/rodents/bugs I may make them time-of-day sensitive to the player doesn't get sick of seeing them and so there's a chance you may start the game differently to everyone else.

Thank you for saying the rest of it is solid, however. Gen VII actually made this a LOT easier because even though it's comparatively underrepresented, it filled in a lot of blanks for the real world counterparts.

And the Archer/Mage/Knight theme was originally unintentional! But there'll be a mini-boss style Trainer who fashions himself after Robin Hood and knights and magic will doubtlessly be referenced later so it fits quite well. Maybe different dialogue depending on your starter!
>>
I posted this a couple /heg/s back, but I've always posted my betas and progress here for /vp/ to test. It's been a while since that though, so I'm curious what you guys think of the more recent additions I've done. Unfortunately a lot of it is in the postgame meaning most people wont end up getting to it, but any feedback is welcome. The older threads are in the doc if you're curious.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O7aBcpe4sbDAz0CsmxFUfOi7Xrs4YMhYhil4obMB-wI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
How do I remove the dark from Brawly's gym
>>
>>31804921
newfag
>>
>>31804921
Beat the trainers.
>>
>>31805213
Why do you feel the need to use a trip, exactly?
>>
>>31805307
I actually don't know
>>
>>31805307
Because he likes attention, despite not contributing anything.
You can filter him and miss absolutely nothing of importance.
>>
>>31805374
fuck off padz
>>
How long would it take before Gen 6/7 scripting becomes possible
>>
>>31805409
Depends on when and how many people get interested in making it possible. If nobody is interested in doing it, never. If suddenly the entire hacking community decides we NEED to hack the 3DS games more in-depth, we'd probably see it in a couple years.
>>
Is there any way to edit HGSS to make Spiky eared Pichu not completely suck dick? Like, increase its stats or make Light Ball work on it or something?
>>
>>31806436
Well it's a Pichu so...
>>
File: johto map.png (124KB, 687x510px) Image search: [Google]
johto map.png
124KB, 687x510px
Sorry to ask but can I get suggestions for hacks?

Looking to play a gen 2 romhack that gives better distribution to the pokemon and ups the the difficulty. Maybe something like pokemon red: proud eyes but for johto. Anything like this exist?
>>
>>31810104
TPPAC and Polished Crystal are generally regarded as the best, though they're both closer to Red++ than Proud Eyes. TPPAC is the more vanilla of the two, albeit starting with a COMPLETELY different intro, since Polished Crystal adds non-canon locations, non-canon trainers, later-Gen Pokémon, etc., while TPPAC is has the original 251 and an almost entirely canon region (most new areas are places that were added in HGSS or otherwise appeared in RBY Kanto).
>>
>>31810258
Thanks for the feedback, interested in that TTPPAC hack you mention. I also enjoy hacks that add new content and pokemon but more just looking for a more simple hack. Sorry to ask but what exactly is "TPPAC"? Nothing in the pastebin appears to be exactly it and google didn't help much.
>>
>>31810339
http://tppdevs.com/crystal.html
>>
>>31810339
Twitch Plays Pokémon: Anniversary Crystal. Despite the name it has almost zero TPP memes in it.

http://tppdevs.com/crystal.html

Don't worry about that "Advanced AI" shit, the .ips patch alone is perfectly fine and that AI stuff is some weird external program that affects the emulator or something.
>>
>>31810356
>>31810359
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
>>
chloro energy
クロロエネルギー
>>
Bump™
>>
>>31801416
So has anyone else noticed that the OP has the same link for notable romhacks and Gen 4-6 hack tools?
>>
>>31817843
Nobody cares about hacking Gen 4 or beyond.
>>
How do you guys make a dex?
>>
I asked this in the old thread and got some pretty good replies, so I'm interested in asking again:

When you play a ROM hack or fan game, what do you want out the story? What turns you off from it? Is there any hacks or fan games you've played that had a really good story you liked?
>>
>>31819421
just wing it and have an equally austistic friend look over it
>>
Deader than dead
>>
Bimp
>>
https://twitter.com/kiy_poke/status/832610706633609216
>>
>>31820142
I don´t really think a pokemon game must have a good story, if the gameplay is good, the game will be good. Maybe a little bit of sense of humor if you can.
>>
>>31820142
I want a story that goes with the setting, I want to feel like I'm on adventure exploring a region. Basically it has to be something that fits in with the rest of the game.
>>
The guy learning gen 2 hacking by doing a remake of gen 1 here. I'm debating how far I want to take adding things from later games now. I'm going to be adding fairy type, but I'm not sure about other things. Moves, special/physical split, etc.

Also what to do with some of the shittier gyms. I just went through Surge's again in FireRed and it took me a good 6 tries before I hit the second button. I'm debating just leaving it off like it was in Gen 2 since I'm not super sure how much coding it'd take to readd, and because quite frankly it's just stupid. At the same time, as a remake, it should be faithful to the original.

>>31820142
Something not super dark and edgy. To me, pokemon doesn't really need to go there. The main games touch on dark stuff occasionally sure but they never go crazy. A lot of fangames and hacks I've seen don't know where to draw a line.
>>
>>31820142
I just want a vanilla experience (no Insurgence cringe shit) with Dragon Quest 8 writing, humour and sense of adventure.
>>
I like Drayano's hacks but there must be a better solution than having 11 pokemon spawning in the same area. I guess it's not possible to lock different areas of the map for different pokemon, if you want to get a pokemon of a certain gender it only makes it worse
>>
>>31825354
Well Polished Crystal already added Surge's Gym gimmick, if you want to just copy from there.
https://github.com/roukaour/pokecrystal/blob/master/maps/VermilionGym.asm
Keep in mind the trash cans were glitched in Gen 1, and the switch didn't always end up where it should have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFA3gZMxrs
Not sure if Polished Crystal copypastes RBY's code, glitches and all, or if it rewrote it from scratch.
>>
>>31828303
The problem is that jamming every single pokemon into one region is a fucking retarded idea. Every game should have a regional dex.
>>
it looks like star sapphire/rutile ruby is going to become my default oras experience and the hacker is going to do sun&moon soon. i was wondering if there are any similar hacks that ramp up the difficulty, whilst making competitive breeding/training easier, and keeping legit wild pokemon?
>>
File: IMG_20170218_183638.jpg (2MB, 3006x1864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170218_183638.jpg
2MB, 3006x1864px
Need to get familiar with 3D sculpting, so I'm modeling a Stegruff
>>
>>31828860
Polished Crystal copied the code from TPP Anniversary Crystal.
>>
File: uraga-channel.png (15KB, 928x288px) Image search: [Google]
uraga-channel.png
15KB, 928x288px
This channel goes west from Kanto Route 18 to Route 21. It'll take multiple trips through the currents to visit all the sandbars.
>>
File: scary-cave-1f.png (19KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
scary-cave-1f.png
19KB, 640x320px
A cave in the middle of the channel. Not too complicated, since it's an optional area.
>>
File: scary-cave-b1f.png (15KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
scary-cave-b1f.png
15KB, 384x384px
The right-hand ladder down goes to this basement, with a more complex current puzzle.
>>
>>31832713
>>31832733
>>31832748
Wait, is this Polished Crystal?
You really should adopt a tripcode for this general. I'd say you're important enough to warrant it.
>>
>>31832780
Yep, this is Polished Crystal. And I didn't think anyone bothered with tripcodes, I'm just looking for feedback on these particular maps.
>>
>>31832906
>BBWCUNtezs
...see, this is what I get for using a tripcode. :/
>>
File: 1404781755089.png (81KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
1404781755089.png
81KB, 495x398px
>>31832906
>And I didn't think anyone bothered with tripcodes
Usually only losers do.

Those caves look fine. The layout of the channel looks fine but at a glance it's a little hard to discern what's a current and what's still water. Is it easy to notice in animation?

>>31832927
You have to keep that tripcode if you decide to use one now.
>>
>>31832906
>BBWCUNtezs
Oh no...

Anyway, I like the maps. They add some much-needed variety to surfing areas, and they're simple enough to be navigated without being a pain.
The idea of bridging sea routes is something I didn't know I needed until now. I wish more "sideshow" hacks did it.
>>
Oh god im reminded of the magikarp cavern. But amazing maps!
>>
>>31832906
>BBWCuntezs

holy shit I'm crying
>>
>>31831978
Is this a step to 3D fakemon modeling?
>>
>>31833815
Yes.
but for a much later project...
>>
File: scary-cave-1f.png (33KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
scary-cave-1f.png
33KB, 640x544px
>>31832969
Yeah, the currents scroll like waterfalls; they're more obvious when you're playing.

>>31833053
I got the idea from Liquid Crystal's open ocean.

>>31833293
Thanks!

So, both those ladders in the basement should go up, and they lead to the different parts of this single first floor. Not going to show what's in the top-left cave.
>>
>>31833828
Answer this. Can I have different pokemon in separate patches of grass on one route?
>>
Can you get xorpads from decrypted .3ds files? I'm trying to extract Omega Ruby's xorpads without a 3ds. If it's not possible, can I get a download for them?
>>
>>31834126
Only if you divide the route up into smaller maps, if you're talking essentials anyways but I assume that's how it'd work in other programs too
>>
>>31834126
Through scripting, yes
Not on vanilla unless you do what >>31834183 said
>>
>>31825354
If you add the physical/special split, you'll need the moves to go with it. Crunch vs Dark Pulse, Swords Dance vs Nasty Plot, Hyper Beam vs Giga Impact, etc. Probably simpler to leave them out, especially if you want a "gen 1.5" feel.

A few technical features from RBY that GSC lacks: spinner tiles (TPP has code for this), water current tiles (just need to add tile animations, the movement function already exists unused), Ghosts (working on this for Polished Crystal), the Safari Game (complicated, easier to adapt the Bug-Catching Contest).
>>
>>31831978
Cool but... why?
>>
>>31834524
Fun, really
I'm planning something in the far future
>>
>>31832906
faggots have abused tripcodes enough that nobody with a normal brain bothers using them out of fear of being ostracized.

its a huge tragedy.
>>
File: Trainerexport.png (51KB, 1114x522px) Image search: [Google]
Trainerexport.png
51KB, 1114x522px
Smogon Exporter Script
>>
File: Smogonfags_Tears.png (58KB, 1058x433px) Image search: [Google]
Smogonfags_Tears.png
58KB, 1058x433px
>>31836359
>>
>>31836359
That's really thoughtful.
>>
File: WIP.png (329KB, 2640x1008px) Image search: [Google]
WIP.png
329KB, 2640x1008px
I don't do the sort of stuff you guys do, but I appreciate the hard work you all do.

Here, have an early WIP rework of Kanto I'm doing for fun. I've only done a few little bits.

(It's Pallet Town and an abandoned rail-line to Johto that kept breaking down when they tried laying the railway past the grassy island) (It's just called the Abandoned Kanjoh Rail-line
>>
>>31836562
I really like this interpretation of Pallet. It has a lot of character.
The abandoned rail is interesting, but I find it strange that it would be linked to Pallet. It isn't exactly a main city of Kanto.
>>
File: The Reason.png (1005KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
The Reason.png
1005KB, 800x600px
>>31836654
The reason being so that you could connect the areas in the circle together. I'd like to think they were connecting the two places to make it easier to travel between there and Johto.

(People would have been able to make the trip up from Cinnabar to use the railway) (I kind of want to muck up an idea to make Cinnabar a small archipelago with a volcano (and the gym) in the middle.)
>>
>>31836688
Actually that does make sense.
I didn't really think about it, but I guess they wouldn't have been able to do raised rails over a distance like with the magnet train.
>>
>>31836788
Sweet, I'm happy you understand it being there. That cave below the railway would let people with surf get some pearls and Shellders, maybe with a Cloyster guarding a group of big pearls on BF2.

The grassy island is there for trainers to make their way to if they'd rather train against pokemon a little stronger than what you'd find on route 1 (maybe level 5-6 right off the bat)

Thoughts on the Cinnabar Archipelago idea? I was thinking there'd be a large island with a dock, then a series of several smaller islands with houses on them that surround the volcano. The Pokemon Mansion would be somewhere on one of the islands, the gym would be on the volcano, and Magmar would be found at the peak of the volcano. I'm thinking a fleshed out location that would let a trainer climb it, fight through fire or rock types, trainers, and maybe find specific versions of pokemon. (Something like an obsidian Geodude)
>>
>>31836837

I like the idea of fleshing out Cinnabar a bit, as it was always really underwhelming despite having a lot of potential.
I'd be worried about a lot of small islands not offering a lot of room for content aside from NPC homes. But what you're describing sounds like a great way to flesh out Cinnabar and add some contrast to the region.
>>
>>31836562
>>31836688
I like your creativity! Cinnabar needs an actual volcano, prior to it erupting. And the railroad is neat.
>>
>>31836889
How would you feel if it was a group of three-four similarly sized islands with both NPC homes and specific things to do on each? One would have the museum, another the Pokemon Mansion, one having the dock and shipyard, and the last one having something like a Game Corner?

>>31836901
Thanks for the input dude.
>>
Why is it that Cinnabar didn't really have a volcano in R/B/Y? It was a pretty big deal in the show, and the reason for a scaled down Cinnabar in G/S/C, but we never saw any indication of it before then.
>>
>>31836906
That seems pretty typical for a tropical resort city. I don't hate the idea.
>>
>>31836906
To unite them all as one town, how about bridges between some of them?
>>
>>31836910
So many of RBY's maps were basically rectangles of empty space, with rectangles of trees or cliffs overlaid as obstacles.
>>
>>31836921
Maybe, I'll try it when I have the rest of the place done to see how they'd work.
>>
>>31836562
Not trying to crush your dreams or anything but a 're-done' kanto is so overplayed and uninteresting it's going to be outshined by literally 100 other romhacks and essentials games that are the exact same but more completed.
Atomic Reactors re-make is going to completely blow everyone out of the water as well.
>>
File: 1473050495401.png (24KB, 205x280px) Image search: [Google]
1473050495401.png
24KB, 205x280px
>>31837284
I get you're trying to shill your own stuff. This isn't a "dream", it's just something to do in my spare time.

It doesn't matter if it's overdone or not, I may as well start with something early on and get that done before I go about doing a later redo of other regions while maybe connecting them up.
>>
File: 2. Route 1.png (263KB, 576x1120px) Image search: [Google]
2. Route 1.png
263KB, 576x1120px
>>31836654
>>31836788
>>31836889
>>31836920
If you're interested, here's the Route 1
>>
>>31837574
I fuckin love the logging bit but there's a few too many corner blocks, random grass patches and jagged edges for my taste. Smooth it out a little, maybe?
>>
File: 1478741509643.png (693KB, 710x615px) Image search: [Google]
1478741509643.png
693KB, 710x615px
>>31837604
I'll quick try something, give me five/ten minutes
>>
File: 2. Route 1.png (245KB, 576x1120px) Image search: [Google]
2. Route 1.png
245KB, 576x1120px
>>31837604
That better?
>>
>>31834126
Just use different terrain tags for different encounter types, but use the same graphic
>>31836359
>coloring your text
kys, useless resource, but a resource none the less
>>
Bumparoo
>>
>>31837574
>>31837659
I really like both of them.
The second one certainly looks cleaner.
>>
>>31803846

As a Brit I'd disagree with the person who responded to you, ladybirds are extremely common here and even are occasionally visible in swarms so it makes sense to have them.

I would agree with the other anon in terms of re-ordering but I honestly think you've constructed a good dex, plenty of excellent mons there
>>
>>31839974

Although I would suggest adding Tentacool and Tentacruel as they're pretty common on British beaches, and maybe the Koffing line (Industrial Revolution + Smog in 1950s London)
>>
>>31840011
Thanks for your feedback! And thank you for the praise!

Koffing's in there, next to Ekans... can't imagine what made me do that(!).

I thought instead of Tentacool, I'd include Frillish, partly for the Ghost diversity but also because its evolved forms are obviously meant to be regal, so they're a good thematic fit.

As a quick update, I've got an artist friend interested in the project, he says he'll be happy to help design new forms so that'll make spriting much easier as there'll be something to work from. Naturally, though, the art is going to come quite a bit later.
>>
>>31836359
Goddamn this is a great idea. I still wish there was a way to create a showdown like battle simulator for my fakemon and gimmicks.
>>
>>31839974
What are some buildings, companies, activities in the UK that you think should go in a pokemon game?
>>
>>31837307
If I was atomic reactor I feel like I'd be spending my time on literally any rom hacking place than this shithole.

Re-made Kanto is overdone, seriously. If you're this triggered by one piece of criticism imagine when it comes out and nobody gives a shit because they're playing 1000 other kanto remade games. Hell, I'll bet Gamefreaks re-making kanto too.
>>
File: synth.png (24KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
synth.png
24KB, 256x192px
As I finish coding something I want to hear some opinions on this.

Basically, the idea for this game is based around a new mechanic. Pokémon don't evolve (whatever, explain during plot or completely ignore in favour of), instead, you can create new Pokémon by "synthesizing" them. This is literally the same as Breeding in the Dragon Quest Monsters and Synthesizing in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker series.

Basically, every Pokémon has a base rank. For example, Weedle would be an F. Bulbasaur is an E. Ivysaur is a C. Venusaur is A. Mewtwo is S. Each Pokémon also has an "index" number, basically their internal order. This matters, see below:

(cont)
>>
>How does synthesis work?
Choose a male, choose a female. (Unknown gender work as either but you cannot use two Unknown gender mons together).

The game now sees which of the two parents has the highest Rank. If both are from the same, it will take the highest "internal number". Now it will try to find the next three Pokémon species in the same tier/rank, always with a higher internal number (so Weedle(F)+Kakuna(F) will try to find the next best F ranks, say Ledyba, Spinarak and Cutiefly.

You then get to choose one from these 3 shown species, and "create" the new Pokémon. You lose the parents in the process.

There's also "complex" synthesis, basically "recipes". Say to get a Raikou you need to fuse Electabuzz with Raichu, and Jolteon with Luxray, and then fuse both offspring again.

Any thoughts? Ranks will allow me to "scale" shitmons. For example, Onix and Ursaring will be D and C Pokémon, strong early, but outscaled after.

QUESTION: How would you approach a plot with all this? Should it have one? Should any of this be explained or is it magic?

QUESTION: do u like
>>
>>31842516
OH and about the Weedle and Kakuna example: Should the synthesis ensure at least two of the three options are of the same type as either parent? So Weedle+Bulbasaur will try to get a Bug and a Grass type, and some random type next.

QUESTION: Any ideas for item mechanics? I want Destiny Knot to ensure the offspring is female, and Macho Brace for males. Don't think I'll make Natures/IVs matter whatsoever.

Is this super complicated for a Pokémon game? Should it use something else? My biggest worry is "why the hell is this happening" and if the game should have anything to do with this (like a new Team acting like Plasma being against this, for example).
>>
>>31841258
Oops, sorry lol, didn't see the Koffing line when I first scanned over the pokedex, my mistake. That idea you had about the Frillish line makes sense.
What sort of forms would you have?

>>31841424

I guess you'd have London as the capital, where you'd include things like the London Eye, the Tower Bridge over the Thames, maybe the Tower of London as a ghost type-filled dungeon, Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. Outside of London you could have Stonehenge, the Giant's Causeway (rock types?), Loch Ness (with Gyarados in the water? Or a postgame Rayquaza in an underwater cave (Loch Ness Monster) ?), some of the famous castles like Leeds Castle or something, also Shakespeare's Globe, I'm sure there are others.

As for companies most of the famous UK ones are either financial services or retail and aren't too interesting, may also void copyright law to mention them directly or something too. I guess there's lots of shops like "Poundland" and "Poundmart" which sell goods for £1 so at a stretch there's probably some way to parody that ingame

As for activities, I'm not really sure what could be worked into a Pokemon game, sorry about that one

I'd be interested to see how this develops, though, could make for an interesting romhack if you were able to make a decent enough story and make the 8 gyms etc
>>
File: Blobbos.png (130KB, 1016x974px) Image search: [Google]
Blobbos.png
130KB, 1016x974px
CLOVER DEMO IS NOW OUT
>>31842498
>>31842498
>>31842498
>>
>>31826989
Mostly seconding this.

>>31829361
At first I was going to write some counterargument to this, but then I realized, if you are going to play a modified Pokémon game then you already have the ability to just inject it :^). So, yeah, I guess some sort of hopefully extended regional dexes, even if they still suck balls.

>>31830043
You are asking for two mostly antithetical things:
>ramp up the difficulty
>keep legit wilds

The issue here is the "level met" for wilds. Then again I think Rutile Ruby already did that by offering a "vanilla" versus a "high-level" version, with an addendum for the former that you' d have to plan your experience around reaching the first Gym, with lv 30 or so Smogonset mons, with your party of six still vanilla wilds in the level range of 10-15 at most.

(But IMO, postgame should have access to most if not all mons)
>>
>>31842479
>>31842516
>>31842605
Interesting, but why?
>>
>>31842846
Good question! I really liked the synthesis mechanic from DQM:J, and I think it could make for a really "refreshing" way of playing Pokémon.

Kinda like how Pokémon Infinite Fusion has some customization/interesting playability in it's approach.
>>
>>31842605
Those are some damn good ideas for locations, etc. I'm definitely keen to use some famous landmarks (or, rather, counterparts).
>What sort of forms would you have?
For the most part, they'd be new forms that would fill in gaps for animals that exist in Britain that have no Pokémon counterpart. So there'd be things like a hare Wigglytuff with longer legs (astonishing that we have so many Pokémon rabbits and no hares) that learned a few kicking moves, or a Starly that looked a bit more like a wren (day/night variant?) that may not have different moves but perhaps different stats based on the real animals' behaviours.

Druddigon, as I think I mentioned above, would look like the dragon on the flag of Wales and will probably be plot significant. Then there'd be entirely aesthetic choices like a thistle Roserade that evolved from Budew found in the Scotland counterpart or new colours for the Flabébé family to represent certain British flowers.

Some Pokémon would probably only appear in their new forms- as I mentioned, I'm keen to reference animal migration so Pachirisu is an excellent candidate for that- grey Pachirisu from a region not far from Unova showing up and attacking the native red Pachirisu would have the most obvious real world analogue.
>>
File: Alola.png (2MB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
Alola.png
2MB, 1280x905px
What does /heg/ think about the level design of Alola?
>>
>>31843031
it's too fucking small and restrictive
>>
Just wanted to say I'm totally "inspired" stealing[/ spoiler]
that variant of Spearow and Rapidash.
>Cuckoo Spearow
>Dark/Flying

>Unicorn Rapidash
>Fire/Fairy
PERFECTION
>>
>>31842516
Sounds similar the monster race from Final Fantasy Legend, except for being able to pick from multiple choices. I think you'd have to completely rewrite the lore of the series to accomodate such a major change, though.
>>
>>31843031
The maps are fine, but the way you're not allowed to explore them until the game wants you to because of the insane amount of railroading ruins the whole thing. Entire game feels like a straight line despite the region not looking like that.
>>
>>31843031
Routes aren't as bad as most of this board says, though they could be better and it needs more water routes to capitalize on no HMs.

But holy shit Alola is the worst for dungeons. It's a shame, aesthetically it's my favorite region.
>>
File: Clover_01.png (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Clover_01.png
7KB, 240x160px
>>31842739
>it's real
>>
>>31842479
Personally, I like the idea. I'd be interested in a game that does that. But the current system is instilled so deeply into my brain that I'd recommend doing it with "Not-Pokemon".
>>
File: scrytrap.png (2KB, 78x65px) Image search: [Google]
scrytrap.png
2KB, 78x65px
Does anyone have any tips on making movesets? What I've been doing is taking the moveset of something with the same niche/power level as my Fakemon and switching moves around (changing the original moves to STAB moves, changing stat-boosting moves, etc.) but is there a better way?
>>
Are there any good sites other than wikis that detail how Pokemon actually works behind the scenes in a more concise manner? I'm toying around with a text-mode multi user game meant for use on remote servers but I'm not sure how to actually represent Pokemon, items, etc in memory in a nice, maintainable way that makes sense and I'm curious to see how GF handles it.
>>
has anyone played the latest updated version of polished crystal 2.20?

wondering if it's buggy as fuck or relatively stable
>>
>>31837574
>>31837659
Where do you get your tilesets?
>>
Those who use, or are familiar with Pokemon Essentials:

Should I bother with Elite Battles, or just stick to the default battle system from FireRed/LeafGreen for my first game?
>>
>>31848419
What generation of tiles and overworlds are you going with? Are you adding Fakemon, or just sticking with the canon ones?
>>
>>31848430
I'm using tilesets from FR/LG and R/S, but I was originally just going to look for an edit of all of the 4th and 5th gen Pokemon to look like GBA mons.

I'm still in the planning process of my game, so I have plenty of time to consider my options.
>>
>>31801416

ok is there any fork of the citra emulator for more responsive SM gameplay? also there are any hacks of SM already? or just clean roms to download?
>>
>>31848419
Elite Battle has that sleek noob-catching UI and move animations a plenty but I much prefer the default Essentials (DS-like) battle with my fancy customized UI.

If gen 3 graphics: Customize it to make it look like Gen 3
If gen 4: Use default and customize UI
If gen 5: EBS
>>
>>31848532
I'd still go with the default, then. But if you decide to go with BW style Pokemon sprites (animated or not), go with Elite Battle.
>>
File: Unnamed Region Map.png (18KB, 948x640px) Image search: [Google]
Unnamed Region Map.png
18KB, 948x640px
>>31848771
>>31848723
>>31848430
Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it!

If I could get anyone's opinion on something else. I've drawn out a rough draft of my region's map, with all of the main storyline events. I wanted to know if people would think it was too linear, or maybe even too cluttered. I was also curious if anyone were able to come up with any other thoughts on it, based on how it's currently drawn out.

(Red indicates a city with a gym, Blue indicates a town without a gym, Dark gray represents a dungeon of some sort, like a forest or cavern. I don't like the surfing portions of the Pokemon games, so I'm only going to add two relatively short surfing routes.)

The only things I've decided about the game so far are, it's going to be written in Essentials, with FR/R/S as the base, and have Pokemon from 1st to 5th generation. I'm also not going to have an evil team, as I find those portions of the game sort've tedious, as far as progressing the story, goes. I'm thinking about adding something else, instead. Like having some sort of Pokemon Academy that you can do sidequests for in order to rank up. Doing so unlocks new side areas with pokemon that aren't available anywhere else or evolution items.
>>
>>31848913
Although you're only adding two short main surfing routes to access towns, I would suggest adding a side surfing route for an optional dungeon.
Nothing like Hoenn surfing routes, but maybe something out of the way.
>>
>>31848981
Hmm... I could do a hidden riverway between 3 and 8. Maybe have a cave area like the one where Lapras was in Silver/Gold.
>>
>>31849012
That's a great place for it, since I assume you get Surf closer to 11 or 16. That way it's not too obvious of a place to check, and it keeps the water content somewhat balanced through the map.
>>
>>31848913
Reminds of Kanto in a way. also looks like an swastika you pewdiepie
>>
>>31849095
You're right, now that you mention it, it does remind me of Kanto, in a way. Though, I was careful in planning it out. I looked at each previous game, and the route that they made you take through each. Maybe all of the Pokemon games have sort've similar layouts, just in different shapes?
>>
File: synth2.png (25KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
synth2.png
25KB, 256x192px
>>31842479
>>31842516
>>31842567
>>31842891
Bumping this. I'd like some more opinions.
>>
>>31849260
I really like the idea, but at the moment I can't think of anything in particular I'd suggest to improve it.

I assume the stats of the parents will have some impact on those of the child, correct? Otherwise I can't really see any reason to train Pokemon instead of just mindlessly synthesizing them.
And what about a pseudo Egg Move system?
>>
>>31849589
Yeah totally! A portion of the parents base stats are carried over, so a Shuckle and Avalugg offpsring would have greater Def (the bonus is added as "IVs", except the cap is higher, and is "diluted" with every synthesis, so after 2-3 more synthesis, the Shuckle offspring no longer has titanic defenses. I think this adds a really thick layer of power and balancing, all in the hands of the player.

As for Egg Moves, my current idea is to make either parent drop their compatible egg moves, without making egg group matter at all. So an Electabuzz would be able to give an egg move to a Starmie, as long as Starmie is compatible with the move. Basically, breeding but without egg groups.
>>
>>31849650
That sounds great. I honestly can't wait to see it in practice.
>>
el bumpo
>>
What do you guys think of games with a "386/493/649/etc." Pokémon availability?
>>
>>31852000
shit. See: XY. Awful distribution. 10 new mons per route sucks.
>>
>>31852000
I think they're fine, but only so long as some Pokémon are reserved for postgame. More than 400 in a regional dex makes a region feel incomprehensible and lacking in its own unique themes.
>>
>>31852000
It gets progressively less viable the larger that number becomes. It's perfectly fine in Gen 1 and 2, not unfeasible in Gen 3, but in Gen 4 and beyond there's just not enough room (I could see it MAYBE working in HGSS since there are two regions to use, but that's it).

Remember that time Game Freak wanted every Pokémon to be catchable between the Gen 6 games, but then cancelled the third version of XY, so we got those really uninspired Mirage Islands and a clusterfuck of wild distribution in the mainland after you unlocked the Nat. Dex in ORAS? That was bad.
>>
>>31842479
How about looking into SMT fusion for ideas on improving the mechanic.
>>
>>31852138
Will try! I have so much vidya homework now :(
>>
How the hell do you come up with a region name that doesn't sound retarded?
>>
>>31852000
It's an unpopular opinion, but I like as many Pokemon as possible
>>
>>31852000
Sounds nice as an idea but its godawful in execution because it leads to shit like having Pokémon only on one route per game, a lot of the time having them be 1% encounters on the route
>>
>>31852000
400 or below is good.
Now what do you think of a game with multiple regions? Clearly >400 is acceptable then. Point is, it depends. And at last I've reached the end.
>>
>>31853008
DONT be the multiple regions guy. Focus on making ONE good and interesting one.
>>
>>31848297
There are no "versions" of Polished Crystal 2.2.0. "2.2.0" is the version. The patch for it should be stable.

If you mean you're compiling the latest code on GitHub, which will eventually be released as 3.0, then yeah, it still has bugs.
>>
>>31848913
This also reminds me of Kanto, but without Saffron City to make it less linear. How about connecting #9 and #19? Or something else across that whole central ring.
>>
>>31852755
Look at how the official regions are names. They're based on real places (which helps make the geography plausible), and use words from the local language that relate to the game somehow.
>>
Anyone know how to insert new pokemon and moves in crystal?
>>
File: Unnamed Region Map.png (16KB, 948x640px) Image search: [Google]
Unnamed Region Map.png
16KB, 948x640px
>>31853287
>>31849012
I think this is MUCH better. Thanks, guys.

Now that I have a general idea of the layout, I need to start working on the plot.

I think I'm going to go with a simple story, along the lines of R/B/Y/G/S/C, without the Badguy team, stuff. I should also start thinking of a theme for the region, as that will help me come up with things like a region name and what the league is like.
>>
File: scrn1.png (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
scrn1.png
7KB, 240x160px
>>
>>31853449
can i steal this anon
>>
>>31853558
no, it took me ages to make
>>
>>31853449
This map looks really cool, Anon. How'd you make it look so neat? Like, I really like the shape of the land beneath the routes.
>>
>>31853675
it took a lot of tweaking, using kanto maps as reference. i also used stuff like vega/PD maps as reference too
>>
>>31853449
mexico/10
>>
>>31853953
it's not mexico it's hudson bay
>>
>>31853143
I'll do whatever the FUCK pleases me, thank you.
>>
>>31856228
This
It's your game
Don't waste your team making someone else's
>>
>>31857801
Hey how do you pace Evil Team encounters with the Gyms? I'm trying not to overdo the evil team by having them pop up in every city. How do I not make it forced?
>>
>>31858242
Since planning gyms is done alongside region building, it's going to be rather difficult to change them for developing plot.

I'd probably start with developing the motives and method in which the team operates. If they're, for instance, building a giant weapon, the best places to have to appear would be a factory stealing parts or a grunt on a route running away with a suspicious package near the story's climax.
I'd develop their step by step plan before building the plot around it.
>>
>>31856228
Not the same guy but here's my take: finishing a fangame takes fucking ages and most projects collapse due to creator burnout. If you want to make a game with more than one region, that's awesome and you should go for it but only if you're sure you aren't going to be flagging by the time you get to the sixth city with another 12 to go.
>>
bumpey ride
>>
Spice work on gaia
>>
File: 1486328935946.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1486328935946.webm
3MB, 640x480px
Deadest thread
>>
>>31862513
post.
more.
shit.
>>
File: 1467409658600.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467409658600.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
>>31862620
UUUU
>>
File: 1471543789396.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471543789396.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
>>31862620
>>31862640
>>
File: 1467394972698.webm (3MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467394972698.webm
3MB, 1152x480px
>>31862620
>>31862640
>>31862649
>>
>>31862640
>>31862649
Looks neato.

Unrelated question to the thread - which is better, Star Sapphire or Sinking Sapphire?
>>
So, I've drawn out a map of my region, thought of a general theme and come up with a name. I compiled some tilesets that I think will work nicely, at least for the majority of the game.

It seems like the next logical step is to look at each area of my game and the routes you take through the region and build a Regional Pokedex.

Any suggestions or helpful advice regarding pokedex compilation?
>>
>>31863734
Take a look at the Pokedex from official games and go from there. Every game has one common bug, rodent, and bird. Size matters a lot, and I personally wouldn't go lower than 150 or higher than 300.

Don't be afraid to get more creative though, especially if it would make sense for a Pokemon's real-life counterpart. Doduo would make perfect sense to have in a desert, and Inkay would be a good aquatic addition that isn't just another Water-type.

Lastly, if you want to get really detailed, you can think about how the Pokemon interact. Who preys on whom, larger territories that extend over multiple routes, etc. The official games have a few of these already. For example, Meowth and Murkrow constantly fight and raid each other's nests over the shiny things they collect.
>>
File: FortuneTeaser.png (89KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
FortuneTeaser.png
89KB, 480x320px
May as well share my plan that I've been meaning to share.
>300-ish fakemon with no realmons at all
>most fakemon are quartz-tier hilarious but with better spritework
>some memes but only in small doses and not nearly as extreme as clover
> bizarre humor and dialogue that makes you wonder what the hell you're playing
>region based on south-west england
>lots of jokes about british stereotypes to go with the above
>evil team very loosely based on SJWs
>music from DP because I suck at composing
Would you guys play this game? Is it worth making?
>>
>>31864197
I personally wouldn't be interested, but only because I'm a "No fun allowed old man".

I'd be interested to see your Fakemon, because that kind've makes or breaks the experience, y'know?
>>
>>31863734
I swear planning routes is always the hardest part for me.
>>
File: SparroofLine.png (7KB, 278x126px) Image search: [Google]
SparroofLine.png
7KB, 278x126px
>>31864233
This is my personal favorite evo line I've done so far (dex numbers not final). A silly play on the House Sparrow that just gets more convoluted as it evolves. If there's anything that truly captures the overall feel of my game, it's these guys.
>>
>>31864299
I'm quickly finding out that it's a lot more involved than just taking some of your favorite mons and throwing them on a list.
>>
>>31864445
Never mind, this game seems dope af, I can't wait to see your progress. (That design is pretty fuckin' awesome.)
>>
>>31864197
I approve only due to south-west England, which is where I live
>>
File: 1469734492203.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469734492203.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Bump
>>
Whats a good platinum hack? I wanna catch all the pokemon
>>
>>31863734
I try to think in eco-systems & food chains. Obviously desert mons go to the desert and ice goes to the snow, but what if a snowy mountain borders a desert? So start with one or two signature mons per area and build around those.

Sometimes these signature mons are going to be tied more strictly to your story. Upcoming gym leader packs a Froslass? Is that native to his area or no?

Additionally I can't help myself prepping routes by gyms. As in, if the next gym is electric, the lead up routes to that typically have mons that have a weakness to or effectiveness over Electric.
>>
>>31866608
Help me iron out this idea.
Bond Training. I came to this after wondering how Ash's Pikachu is so unusually powerful.
The idea is similar to Mega Evolution, but gradual and permanent.
Bond Training
>You give your ace a Bond Item to hold (Bracelet, Ring, Necklace, etc.) which contains a fragment of light energy.
>You level up and train your pokemon as usual
>Over time, your pokemon grows stronger and could even take on a different type/ability
>By level 100, your ace would have a Battle Form. This form is much more powerful than that pokemon's natural state.
>Now, in Battle Club matches, you'd gain these points that can be distributed any way to your pokemon.
I'm stuck here. Help a nigga out.
>>
>>31834126
Never mind.
It's fuck easy

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Adding_a_new_terrain_tag_for_wild_encounters

>>31868255
Does the level scale actually reach 100?
I think bond should be based on another condition.
Heck, if I had a feature like that, I'd probably make it story reliant and tie directly to the starter. Maybe unlock to other mons late-game.

But anyway, what is the actual power increase?
What should it be on par with?
Do weaker pokémon get bigger buffs?
>>
>>31868654
Okay. How about if I made the bond be max happiness?
Well, I thought you'd earn points by using your bonded pokemon in battles. Points that could be attributed to each of your pokemon's six stats in any way.
The type changes specific to each pokemon.
>>
>>31868700
>max happiness
Sounds good in combination with something else
How many points?
>>
>>31868708
It all depends on the battles.
And when I say adding points to stats, I mean base stats. Like Scythers 105 base speed can be boosted with points to 155 or some shit. I still have to work out the maximum amount of points that can be gained.
>>
>>31868732
Ah
Than I think the final stat totals should determine how and when they can be obtained
>>
>>31868745
¿Que?
>>
>>31868747
Once you decide how many points to give each pokemon, then you'll be able to say whether it can be max happiness or if you an have more than one.
Stat distribution is a big factor, too.
>>
>>31868745
I know it's not a good idea to award points every battle cause that shit would be bananas B A N A N A S. Maybe like after every n battles you get a certain amount of points. Battle Club matches get more points as well as significant battles such as E.T. encounters.
>>
>>31868779
Maybe hitting happiness values of certain intervals?
100...150..etc..250..255?
>>
>>31868755
Forgive me, I'm a real fucking idiot, but do you mean I should give every pokemon a limit to the amount of points they could earn?
>>
>>31868793
I do like this though. But I want the change to be caused by battling. And I know happiness can be gained just as easily without battling.
>>
>>31868799
Yeah
>>31868809
It could be noticed on leveling up like how EVs used to work
lvl. 100 mons would have theirs recalculated upon being taken out of a box
>>
>>31868821
How about every pokemon gets a maximum of 50 points or 100 points (like Mega evolution) that can be attributed to any of their stats except HP?
>>
>>31868861
That could work, but you actually could raise HP
>>
I had an idea for a hack that I'd like to try, but I feel like it might be too hard to go all in on as my first project. I wanted to hack FR to make Kanto completely non-linear.

You would start in Pallet Town, and the first part of the game would be identical to the base game, but after you have your Pokedex, you no longer need HMs to navigate (any Water Pokemon can Surf, any Grass Pokemon can Cut, etc.) This new found freedom would also be reflected in the levels of Wild Pokemon and Trainer Pokemon. I don't know if there's an easy way to auto-scale levels to the player's average (or the appropriate scale for the intended challenge) but if not, everything would be scaled to a certain point every time you receive a badge (or maybe every two badges if there are data concerns.)

If this would be unrealistic for a hack, I might consider an Essentials project instead. Otherwise, if this is unrealistic for a first project, I might do some warm-ups to get my skills up to scratch for it. If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it.
>>
Bimp
>>
File: 1467153835397.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467153835397.webm
1MB, 640x480px
>>
File: 1469582778924.webm (294KB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469582778924.webm
294KB, 1152x480px
>>
>>31872069
Oh yeahhh I remember when you first posted this like a year ago.
This is a fantastic innovation. I seriously don't understand why GF never did this.
>>
Guys, please recomend me a hack. Emerald preferably, but other gen 3 games are okay. It has to have as much pokemon as possible, the difficulty same as the original games (yeah, yeah, casual scum), no trade evo, and no fakemon. Don't care about the story and region too much.
>>
>>31872856
This nigga just wants to Catch 'Em All! I'd recommend Liquid Crystal, but that's just me. It's a Gen 2 remake that has later generations shuffled in.
>>
>>31872069
TFW Max's fangame is single handedly better than any actual Pokemon game.
>>
Random question here. Should I have Pokemarts in my essentials game, or should I have shops inside Pokemon Centers? The latter makes more sense, but Sage has Pokemarts so I was wondering if it was important to have them or something.
>>
>>31873141
It's all up to personal preference.
>>
File: Pokedex.png (58KB, 769x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Pokedex.png
58KB, 769x1072px
I've started plotting out my regional dex. I know I'm going to have to rework this at least two or three times before I'm done.

Any thoughts? The region is a marshland surrounded by heavily forested mountains. I'm about half or one third through the regional dex. I'm going to try and shoot for under 250 Pokemon. I'm thinking about adding a post-game safari zone where all the others up to 5th gen can be caught.
>>
>>31873141
It's a personal preference thing, and it depends on the size of your towns.

Like, my towns are relatively small, with only a couple houses in each, so a Pokemart adds another building to each location.
>>
>>31872069
>mid-battle evolution

It really bothers me that this isn't in main-link Pokemon yet. I can't count the times I've accidentally leveled up twice in a battle and overshot the evolution level.
>>
File: 1398972154147.jpg (62KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1398972154147.jpg
62KB, 250x250px
>>31873478
>and overshot the evolution level
>>
>>31873552
I get that it will evolve anyway, but it's rather annoying.
>>
Was just at an urinal in McDonald's and some middle aged white guy blatantly stared at my dick....shit was mad uncomfortable. So...that's my bump
>>
>>31875338
Sorry.
>>
>>31875338
Thanks doc
>>
>>31875338
What did you order?
>>
>>31875399
Was skating around and needed to drain the main vein.
>>
File: horseshit garbage.png (6KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
horseshit garbage.png
6KB, 240x160px
How do I make this stop being a thing. It also does it when there is no grass.
>>
>>31875399
Checked
Also, is it possible to make an attack that changes type to the user's primary type and can also be physical or special depending on the user's highest stat?
>>
How would you go about doing stuff like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qHTqVZzim4 ? I'd assume simple homebrew isn't enough and you need CFW. What else?
>>
>>31876229
Yeah sure
You could probably pass those attributes to a custom attack effect
>>
File: 1463814534037.webm (476KB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463814534037.webm
476KB, 1152x480px
>>31873478
You can cancel it too :^)
>>
>>31877034
Can I please please please use this in my game?
>>
>>31877095
no. :^)

I have to make an engine that contains it first
>>
>>31877126
>contains it
What do you mean? This won't work in Essentials?
>>
Playing Cuck Emerald, and all of a sudden the Pokeball bag is filled with TMs. Can't buy any balls. What gives? Any ideas?

Got cucked
>>
>>31877306
Not stock Essentials.
I basically wrote my own version at this point
>>
File: prism.png (6KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
prism.png
6KB, 160x144px
>>31872069
>>31877034
>>31877434

>doing things better than GameFreak

Remember: No trailers.
>>
>>31877434
Your own version of Essentials? See this shit is what makes me want to scrap my game forever. I mean, Essentials seems just as shitty and limited as romhacking. Why even fucking bother if you can't do anything different?
I bet all the things I have planned are impossible to do in Essentials or romhacking. I hate this gen 3 bullshit!
>>
>>31877918
It's why so m ass ny shit fangames exist. It's why so many goddamned Kanto remakes exist. They know you can't do anything better because the options are so fucking limited.
>>
>>31877944
Lol *so many
>>
>>31877918
I imagine that's why he's making his own version of Essentials.
While you're complaining about its limitations, he's removing them.

If you're new to rom-hacking, stick with the standard Essentials and when you come across such a limitation, try to bypass it.
There are people here with more experience that can answer questions and help you out if you get stuck.
>>
>>31877918
>>31877983
It's not Essentials that's shitty, though
Most people go in and say, "I'm gonna make a five-star game with just the resources included in it"
The Essentials engine is just that, an engine. It can do whatever the user is willing to make it.
I went and studied Ruby as I went, which allowed me to edit the basic engine to something halfway presentable
>>
>>31877983
He flat out said you couldn't do mid battle evolutions with regular essentials so he's making his own version.
Weren't you listening?
Max, what CAN'T you do in Essentials? I asked you before and you said pretty much everything except 3D.
>>
>>31878033
It's just some rescripting to add extra features. I'm not starting from scratch, but many stock scripts aren't compatible.
>>
>>31878065
What are the hard limitations of Essentials?
>>
>>31878033
>you couldn't do mid battle evolutions with regular essentials
Right, which is why
>he's making his own version

He's doing something about it instead of complaining.
>>
>>31878096
As far as I can tell, the general structure of the computer and the Ruby language. Really.
I've opened other programs with it, pulled system files, even sped up its own performance.
Luka SJ even made a script that updates itself in house.
It's run entirely in Ruby and can do a ton of crap I haven't even touched.
I really don't know, man.
>>
>>31878164
I appreciate what you're trying to say. It's just that your tone makes you sound like a raging cunt.
>>31878188
So it's like the Matrix. Learning the language allows you manipulate things at will. Got it
Learn Ruby. Rewrite the rules.
>>
>>31878240
Exactly, Neo
>>
>TFW go to make fun of an edgy romhack name
>But remember Gamefreak approved Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
>>
File: 5KiuqNk[1].png (2KB, 125x75px) Image search: [Google]
5KiuqNk[1].png
2KB, 125x75px
>>
WHY IS PLANNING ROUTES SO GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING HARD!?!??!?!???
WHY IS FILLING CITIES WITH USEFUL BUILDINGS SO GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING HARD??!?!??!?!??!??!?!?!!!!
>>
>>31879102
Come up with a region shape first and then fill it with towns and side attractions. Have routes connecting the towns and side attractions, add a few offshoot routes, and make edits where you feel necessary.

As for filling towns with useful buildings, it's all about atmosphere. Gotta make it feel like a real town. What is the town's purpose? What do people in town do and talk about? Think about what goes into a real town and just scale it down.
>>
>>31875607
(help pls)
>>
File: Breto Map Tidy.png (42KB, 1356x1180px) Image search: [Google]
Breto Map Tidy.png
42KB, 1356x1180px
Disgustingly long multiple-post incoming (don't worry, I'll sage myself)!

UK Region guy here! Here's an MS Paint version of my region map. I've called it Breto for a couple of reasons, obviously it sounds like Britain but also it keeps "o" in the name that's an unusual tradition in all English language Pokémon region names so far! So, let me talk you through it.

Black lines are regular routes, blue lines are water routes and green lines are back-track routes that open up after you have the appropriate badges. Red numbers denote route numbers. Gold locations are important locations along your journey, including locations in the Gym Challenge. Purple locations are places of note that are housed along routes. Blue locations are places that make up the route themselves. Pink areas open up in the post-game after certain criteria are met.

Brumam Town is where you begin. Birmingham is known as a hub of education, I was pleased to discover, as that made it an obvious choice to house the Pokémon Research Laboratory and the start of the game.

Notnam Forest is, of course, based on Nottingham Forest and sees mini-boss Forest Lord Robin challenge you if you can beat his Merry Fellows.

The Warped Spire is based on Chesterfield's Crooked Spire, the most famous landmark in Derbyshire.

Sheffel City is an industrial city based on Sheffield, with the Steel-type being highly heralded as Sheffield is famous for its steelwork.

Newcle is based on Newcastle, a well-known mining city and the Alexandrina Mine is the cave leading into it, based on Victoria Mine (Alexandrina being Queen Victoria's first name). The Twin Angel statues replace the Angel of the North- giant statues of Latios and Latios that play into the game's story.
>>
>>31880602
The Lake of Calm is the equivalent to the Loch Ness (and a counterpart to the Lake of Rage of course). Legend has it a rare Pokémon lives beneath the lake, but nobody has ever seen it...

Edurgh City is based on Edinburgh and, as we all know, it's cold up north, hence Ice-type Pokémon are popular here. Edurgh Farm hosts Pokémon like Miltank, Mareep and Skiddo... and they make a delicious burger too.

Manchool City is the combination of Manchester and Liverpool, with the City's Gym being a double gym co-led by two musical rivals, playing up to the famous rivalry between the two cities.

Walton Heights is the most popular theme park in Breto, based on Alton Towers. You may not be able to ride all the rides, but adrenaline junkies will love the exciting battles that take place here, with new Trainers to battle every day of the week!

Belorn Island is based on Belfast, Northern Ireland. Belorn Woods open up post game with the blessing of the Queen of Breto, should you be able to beat here. Legend has it a Mythical Fairy-type dwells here.

Cretaceous Coast stands in for Jurassic Coast and lucky Trainers may well discover a rare fossil here.

The Paradise Gardens are home to beautiful grass-type Pokémon and are a stand-in for the equally beautiful gardens of the Eden Project.

Cartaff City is based on Cardiff and is home to some talented singers… maybe the Gym Leader knows where a magical, musical, Mythical Pokémon can be found? The BTV Studios are where everyone’s favourite sci-fi drama, Space Lord is recorded. Maybe some Legendary Pokémon that have power over Time and Space would be interested in watching it, perhaps an International Police Officer can help you find them?
>>
>>31880609
The Clifftop Bridge replaces the Clifton Suspension Bridge and sees all manner of Trainers along its length.

Brizol City stands in for Bristol City, home to a Gym Leader who happens to be a famous TV star in another region. Maybe they can help you get into the BTV Studios?

Rockhenge is, obviously, based on Stonehenge. Old wives tales say this place was erected by alien Pokémon, but that can’t be true… can it?

Brove City is a seaside location based on the city of Brighton & Hove. A popular resort with a great nightlife.

Regal Castle is where you’ll first meet the Queen of Breto as it stands in for the real life Windsor Castle.

Isstex Town is a breather location based on Essex. Though you’ve sent the evil teams packing by this point and completed your Gym Challenge, there’s still a would-be Gym Leader who’s determined to put you to the test and prove she’s no fool.

The Lodnol Underground is based on, you’ll not be surprised to learn, the London Underground. This massive, complex train station will test your battle skills- but can you find your way out?

Victory Road is based on London Bridge, including Lodnol Bridge Tower (which, itself, replaces real life Bridge Tower the Shard).
>>
>>31880613
The Lodnol Capital is the largest location in the game and houses a number of attractions. The Pokémon League is held at the P2 Arena (based on the O2 Arena), with each of the Elite Four housed in one of the buildings inside the Arena- the Championship battle takes place in the arena itself in front of a huge crowd. Lodnol Eye is based on the London Eye- it’s pretty slow moving so Trainers often battle inside it to pass the time. Sawsbuckingham Palace is, pretty obviously, based on Buckingham Palace and is where you’ll battle the Queen post-game. The Battle Tower of Lodnol is based, you won’t be surprised to learn, on the Tower of London and is a Battle Facility that opens up post-game. The Bretonian Museum is a combination of the National Gallery, the National History Museum and the British Museum. No battling but lots of nice stuff to take in and buy in the Gift Shop! The Palace of Governance stands in for the Palace of Westminster and is where the parliament of Breto does their thing… which may or may not be very much. But they’ll battle you anyway!

Lodnol Zoo opens up post-game, provided you have a National Pokédex. You can get all sorts of rare Pokémon in this Safari Zone-esque location based on London Zoo.

And, lastly, the Trade Center lets you fill your National Pokédex by trading in-game Trainers all sorts of things, or by using the GTS to trade for rare Pokémon across the globe- if you feel lucky!

What do we think, guys?

>>31864197
Awesome stuff! I toyed with doing Fakemons but I'm glad to see someone else is instead, I look forward to seeing your game advance!
>>
>>31880602
For some reason, I'm getting a Sinnoh/Unova vibe from this description. Sounds sort've interesting
>>
>>31880602
I'm the Uk guy. You're a phoney. A big fat phoney.
>>
>>31881209
While I may be big and fat, I meant I'm the UK guy from the first few posts in the thread.
>>
>>31881289
Are you the guy from the UK?
I'm also doing an England game and Trade Tower and Paradise Garden is also a thing in my project. Lol weird
>>
>>31881329
That's pretty cool haha well then best of luck, it'll be interesting to see different peoples' takes on a similar project!
>>
>>31881345
Alright let's cut the crap and get down to brass tax here!
>>
File: 1467915745051.webm (280KB, 576x240px) Image search: [Google]
1467915745051.webm
280KB, 576x240px
Bump
>>
Why are you faggots not uploading resources somewhere? You clearly started as some leecher hacking whatever rom and you're probably a big boy now. So why not post some findings (if ASM) or just some scripts modifications (if Essentials) or some not-done-hundreds-of-time-before tutorials to give something back? You're so petty.
>>
>>31882723
>>31878270
*ahem* *cough fucking cough*
>>
how do you guys feel about fakemon in hacks
>>
>>31880602
>Manchool city

MANCHESTER MENTIONED YES LADS YES LADS
>>
>>31883237
I personally skip anything that includes them but I guess I understand why people would want them.
>>
>>31883237
not him but hijacking this to ask about region forms in hacks

i think the only fakemon set from a hack i ever liked was vega's
>>
MAXIMUS!!!!!!!!!! make the next thread about your project's landmarks/places of interests please. Or about gyms.
>>
>Introducing the all new Ability Ball by X-Technologies!
>Use this specially crafted pokeball to capture a desired pokemon.
>This ball automatically changes the ability of a captured pokemon to its hidden ability.
>They are in limited supply, so come and get yours now!
>>
Overpowered starter?
>Grass/Steel
fencer like Serpico from Berserk
Has a hidden ability called
>Master swordsman-Boosts cutting and slashing attacks by 30%
>60
>110
>80
>70
>80
>130
>Leaf Blade
>Air slash
>Razor Blade-New steel move
>Night Slash
>>
I have a vanilla platinum save but now I want to try out the romhacks for legendary battles.
Will a renamed vanilla Platinum.sav work for Flawless Platinum? I want to continue where I left off.
I was trying Origin Platinum, but bugs break the game at Mt. Coronet and rope off postgame.
>>
how the fuck do you expand the second tileset, I'm running out of space.
>>
>>31886454
It should.
>>
I suppose this is a more fitting place to ask this question. I would really appreciate some help please.

I just purchased a new 3ds xl and pokemon platinum/soulsilver will a dsi action replay (or the one with the yellow sticker) work on the new 3ds xl with ds games? Or do i need to buy a regular ds to use action replay? I just want my favorites, and event items to catch arceus etc.
Ive looked all over online and cant find an answer.
>>
>>31887138
Bump. Im new to /vp/ (obviously) so sorry if im bumping prematurely, i just cannot find a fucking answer to this.
>>
>>31887794
Depends on the version
ARDS, ARDSi, and AR3DS only work on their respective models
>>
>>31887961
Thank you for answering. But from what ive gathered that is incorrect. There is an action replay with yellow stickes thats advertised for 3ds and dsi, but im unsure of if the 3ds firmware has blocked it. Ive read that dsi action replay will work on ds games in new 3dsxl console, and ive read that the cart doesnt even fit.
Am i just better off buying a cheap regular ds at this point?
>>
>>31888171
Huh that's weird
I'm pretty sure I had to buy another one when I upgraded to old 3DS
>>
>>31884625
Eh, might not be quite ready for that yet
>>
What would the ultimate post-game be like? How could one implement it in their hack or fan-game?
>>
>>31889711
A mash-up of Crystal's second region, Emerald's Battle Frontier, and Black2/White2's extensive post game.
No idea.
>>
>>31889711
>How could one implement it in their hack or fan-game?

by actually finishing the game first
>>
>made sprites for the spicy ketchup threads a couple days ago before OP disappeared
>they got me intrigued with the idea of making my own version/hack, since my experience with game dev is that making art assets is generally the hardest part

Which is easier to use, broadly speaking, hacking or Essentials? Which is more flexible?
>>
Is the a nice rom hack to ss/hh that'll just allow me to catch all the pokemon from 1st and 2nd generation only?
>>
Anyone have some ready-made Gen VI/VII Battler packs of sprites for Essentials or know where to find the same? May have made a slight complete and total fuck up, so it'd be appreciated.
>>
Bimp
>>
>>31891286
I don't know if the Gen VII battlers are ready, but the Gen VI ones are on PokéCommunity

>>31890958
The difficulty is directly related to how much of the language and mechanics you are willing to understand.
Anyone can make a braindead version of either, whether from using external tools or only using the stock assets, but it takes programming knowledge and planning skills to carry out a high-quality original game
>>
anyone else feel like they want to fucking die? i honestly dont know how long it'll be before Im kicked out of here, but when I do I know Im killing myself somehow

bump
>>
Is there a new injection thread?
>>
>>31893284
ill inject my dick into ur ass
>>
>>31892962
Why?
>>
>>31879536
(pls)
>>
File: 1471586113911.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471586113911.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
>>
>>31883237
I won't play a hack with only vanilla pokemon honestly.
>>
>>31894318
Go to the discord senpai
>>
>>31883237
I don't like them, but it's not a dealbreaker. The majority of them in hacks have bad designs though, which is to be expected when they're all made by 1-2 people in most cases.
>>
File: 1468975173230.webm (400KB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468975173230.webm
400KB, 1152x480px
Bomp
>>
File: panic.png (84KB, 633x491px) Image search: [Google]
panic.png
84KB, 633x491px
>>31877321
Send help pls.
Anyone know of a way to delete items either with coding?
>>
>>31892962
Nah. Life's good, bruh.
>>
dunno if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way to use multiplayer in prism as a .cia on a 3ds?
>>
>>31897055
Not asking you to post any resource but I have some good understanding of Ruby. How did you make this layered bitmap? Do you use invisible transparent tiles and draw on top of the end/black layer.
>>
>>31892455
Thanks, Max, a bit of digging and I found it- crisis solved! For anyone interested, the link is on the Smogon forums. Gen VII I found on PokéCommunity. Irritatingly the art style doesn't entirely match but, honestly, that's fine. It's a fan game, I don't think people expect perfection. There are a few missing sprites but I suspect DeviantArt may help there.
>>
File: EssentialsProblem.png (83KB, 511x405px) Image search: [Google]
EssentialsProblem.png
83KB, 511x405px
>>31899955
Oh, fuck my face. Anyone clever enough to know where I've gone wrong here? Possibly the size of the sprites, some of them are huge in the Pokédex, but the positioning here is really wacky.
>>
>download essentials BW from the paste
>works just fine after i fetch a DLL for it
>download base essentials for comparison
>neither the editor nor the game will run at all
???
>>
>>31900191
your sprites are x4 upscaled instead of x2 upscaled. Just resize them to 50% size and they'll be fine. I'm not sure if it'd help the positioning though; I personally haven't tried Elite Battle so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>31900260
Thank you, I figured it may be something like that it I thought I'd best get confirmation before fucking myself further. This is a real learning experience and I've barely even started!

So, anyone know where I may find a resizer program or do I now have the unenviable task of manually resizing 3208+ sprites?
>>
>>31900270
You have 2 options. Either load up Paint.net and resize them one at a time, or do some good old fashioned Google-fu to see if you can find a sprite pack with the right dimensions. Obviously I'd recommend trying the latter first.
>>
File: EssentialsProblem.png (80KB, 511x411px) Image search: [Google]
EssentialsProblem.png
80KB, 511x411px
>>31900312
Sweet, that was definitely part of the problem. Mercifully, there's a sprite pack for everything except possibly Gen VII so that's not half as bad.

Still not sure on the positioning problem, anyone familiar with Elite Battle System able to help a moron like me out?

Another problem I've had is EBS has imported all my Battler files into the corresponding folders, but Gen VI and VII haven't moved with them. Is this just a simple cut-and-paste job to fix or do I need to do something more? Again, if I sound an idiot, please remember I am, in fact, an idiot.
>>
>>31899890
Layered bitmap?
Do you mean the second screen?
Overlapping tiles?
If thread dies, I'll answer in the next one

>>31900373
I'd probably use the positioner tool and re-center them all again to be sure it's not pulling the position from another sprite set.
Post in the next thread too
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.