[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else /misses gyms/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0262.png (87KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0262.png
87KB, 250x189px
Who else /misses gyms/ here?
>>
>>31739622
I miss bikes.
>>
>>31739622
Don't worry, they'll probably just bring them back again.

Honestly though, if we're still wishing, I'd like to see what Game Freak can do with anything besides gyms. Trials were interesting, but I wanna see something that's even more different, just to see what can come out of it.

Also, we've had gyms for 6/7 generations; I really don't miss them all that much
>>
>>31739634
This. I miss bikes so much. I fucking hate Autism Box and Tauros so much.
>>
File: 1485557397381.jpg (101KB, 904x790px) Image search: [Google]
1485557397381.jpg
101KB, 904x790px
>new pokemon game on switch
>it's a fleshed out game like coliseum
>gyms post game let you be the gym leader
>you can level up the rock type mons in that region
>gang fights like in gta SA to take over territory
>take down grass gym causes more bug type to be in the jungle so theres room for GF fuckery for rare encounters
>>
File: 1482944291644.png (111KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482944291644.png
111KB, 600x500px
who else misses HM mo-

I couldn't even make it through that without laughing
>>
File: Bu9NBIC.jpg (33KB, 680x514px) Image search: [Google]
Bu9NBIC.jpg
33KB, 680x514px
>>31739844
I miss Surf and Fly. Using my bros to make my life easier felt sort of core to the Pokemon experience. The rental service thing takes away from that greatly imo.

Fuck the other HMs, though.
>>
>>31740330
>Surf and Fly
They're in the game, and now you don't need to commit a moveslot to them.
>>
>>31740330

Surf and Fly are still TM's though that you can teach

It's surreal to me that Strength is now an exclusive move to Machamp
>>
File: T3UPkYw.png (39KB, 159x163px) Image search: [Google]
T3UPkYw.png
39KB, 159x163px
>>31740341
>>31740355
I probably chose my words poorly, but what I'm disappointed about is the role playing aspect of the HMs. I don't really care about the moves themselves.
>>
File: 1483597665795.png (142KB, 225x259px) Image search: [Google]
1483597665795.png
142KB, 225x259px
>>31739634
This a hundred times. Fuck the Tauros I have no attachment to and the stupid outfit that makes me look like a retard that comes with it.
>>
>>31740330
I get it for surf since stuff like Wailmer or Lapras get models that personalize it, and even when they don't the model is underneath you.
But fly is nothing, it's always a generic feathered bird, no exceptions, and only for 5 seconds.
>>
>>31740457
>tfw gamefreak only made the ugly ass riding outfits because they were too lazy to code different poses for all the buyable clothing.
>>
>>31739622
Retards only.
>>
File: 1478321451952.jpg (57KB, 438x445px) Image search: [Google]
1478321451952.jpg
57KB, 438x445px
>>31739622
Not really. I just hope that if gen 8 gets something different again, that it's just a liiiiiittle bit more fleshed out than Trials. Make every one just as interesting as Mallow's and Acerola's, with less like Sophocles' and the un-owned dragon trial.

Also, Trial music >>> Gym music by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=horC-a5uilM
>>
>>31741222
I have to disagree, I wish every trial had its own music. The trial music wasn't as good as the old gym music.
>>
>>31740474
>forcing the safety first meme with the helmet and pads
If I want to thrash about on a bull and risk getting fucked up, that should be my business.
>>
>>31741222
>bit more fleshed out
You know this is never going to happen again. They got away with XY, they got away with SM, gen 8 is going to be skimpier than your mom.
>>
>gyms are places where trainers of a particular type come to hone their skills with that type
>you the player don't earn the badge by demonstrating mastery of that type, you just cheese it by using something supereffective against it

I want gyms back but I want them to be restructured to something that makes more sense. Earning a rock-type badge should require use and mastery of rock types, not just stomping them into the ground with water or grass.
>>
>>31741250
Totem battles were way more fun than almost every gym battle. Especially if you're playing without Exp Share, Refresh, etc.

Most of the time gyms were hard, it was because of flukes, or being too early in the game to have many options available to you, but Totems, man:

>Stat boosts at the start of a battle that start off just boosting one stat, but eventually become a full-on Ancient Power boost
>Held items
>Ally Pokemon that synergize well with the Totem

Lurantis and Mimikyu are far more memorable and challenging than any gym battle in the past two or three gens, which basically amount to exactly what you said, putting something SE up front and spamming Surf/Earthquake/Thunderbolt/other generic move until everything is dead.
>>
File: 1454811989357.png (144KB, 407x374px) Image search: [Google]
1454811989357.png
144KB, 407x374px
>>31741286
>dragon trial
>have Ribombee lead
>this'll be easy!
>Totem Kommo-o called it's ally Pokemon
>Scizor appeared!
The Scizor was only lv.23 for some reason, and was easily taken care of, but if they intended to give me a heart attack it sure worked.
>>
>>31740474
>different poses for all the buyable clothing.
I don't think you understand how 3D models work.
>>
Please bring back gyms for the sake of the anime. Without gyms the anime turns into filler comedy shit hell with almost zero battles, just look at the awful SM anime.
>>
Trials seemed like less of a challenge than gyms most of the time. Fucking Lurantis and Mimikyu were bitches to kill and I love them for it.

What was the worst trial in your opinion? I'm tied between the Electric and Dragon ones.
>>
File: ribombee.png (903KB, 1280x1283px) Image search: [Google]
ribombee.png
903KB, 1280x1283px
>>31741326

That half-assed Dragon trial was such a joke, especially since I also had Best Bee on my team.
>>
>>31741407
It hasn't even gotten its feet off the ground, though. It's not really fair to make sweeping assumptions at this point.

Like remember when Team Rocket tried to be serious in BW for a while, only to go back to being goofy later in the same series? I feel like the same kind of thing is going to have to happen in SM when Ash realizes that he needs to travel to the different islands to continue his Trial campaign. He already took on the Normal Trial and defeated Hala, so it's not like he's just going to stop there, and it's not like the writers can just have all the remaining Trial Captains/Kahunas "just so happen" to visit Melemele and be prepared to issue their challenges to Ash right from the comfort of Pokemon School.

Right now it's establishing the side characters one by one, but it has a lot more significant side characters than past seasons have, and we'll work past that eventually. And considering Ash got the equivalent of a gym badge under his belt in less than ten episodes, this is a fairly normal pace for the anime from what I remember. Maybe even a little faster.

Basically, kys faggot Serenacuck, etc. The anime will be fine. Just be glad it's trying to change itself up a little instead of being the same dried up formulaic shit it's been for the past several years. This is the first time I'm actively watching since the first few episodes of BW bored me to tears, and before that, Johto back when I was a kid, and it attracted me because it's fresh.
>>
>>31741409
Grass was in itself a pretty interesting trial, and had one of the two best Totems. Same for Ghost.

Water was cool just for the atmospheric build up (and Lana being a qt prankster), and Wishiwashi was decently tough at that stage of the game.

Fire was great for the memes, and my team chemistry had a particularly tough time with Salazzle.

Normal was cute because the Skull Grunts cooperated with you, but there wasn't really anything substantial, Totem fight included.

Electric was weak as fuck, except for the tie-in of the "Totem's here" music into the final question, and using Mudbray made Vikavolt too easy-mode.

Then dragon. Yeah.
>>
>>31739622
Compared to what we got? Yes. Trials were basically just easier gyms.
>>
>>31739810
It would be pretty cool if you had to choose a type before taking over the gym, and had to use pokemon of that chosen type.
>>
>>31739780
I like that tauros is faster but I dislike everything else
>>
>>31741286
>Ally pokemon was harder/more annoying than the totem half the time

I don't know whether I hate or like this

Lurantis fight was supposed to be easy with Torracat but then it turns out castform does over half my health with headbutt. When I eventually get rid of that, trumbeak comes in and spams supersonic and bretty strong pluck.

And then there's mimikyu with hypnosis spam haunter/gengar which you can't outspeed because aslowla.
>>
File: 1480659485804.jpg (301KB, 1994x1445px) Image search: [Google]
1480659485804.jpg
301KB, 1994x1445px
>>31741710
>that Alomomola
>that base 165/80/45 bulk healing off that base 45/130/135 bulk at what is essentially your second gym battle

Though I suppose that's pretty much the point. To take out the big target, you have to take out its life support/annoying status caster first, otherwise there would be no challenge at all.
>>
>>31741407
But the anime has literally always been terrible.
>>
>>31739622
Play older games then, retard. Besides Trials are an alolan exclusive

>>31739634
They won't be coming back because movement isn't restricted anymore.
>>
>>31743193
Those two things aren't really related. Ride Pokemon just exist as a new way to replace HMs and other key items. Your bike movement is unrestricted in gen 6, so a bike would have been perfectly feasible in gen 7 as well, but they just chose not to in favor of fleshing out Ride mechanics more.
>>
>>31739655
I'd like to some some kind of challenges that involve more complex or difficult mini-games/actual battles. I like the idea of getting away from the 8 gym thing, but SM was just too damn easy.
>>
Hahahaha all these stupid ass little kids who loved trials. "I love to run around and do menial ass tasks instead of facing a challenging opponent" all you fags are the reason trump won. You and your liberal faggot parents who grt stepped on at work and at home
>>
Mimikyu, Lurantis, and Wishiwashi were better than literally every gym leader I can remember
>>
>>31744286
Better. Wayyyyyyyy Easier*
Here i corrected it for you pussy faggot
>>
I do
>>
File: baitbob.jpg (19KB, 477x347px) Image search: [Google]
baitbob.jpg
19KB, 477x347px
>>31744271
This is some tempting bait.
>>
>>31744451
I am the fisherman and you all are the lil old fishies
>>
>>31744316
Name one (1) gym leader more difficult than them
>>
>>31744451
Totem battles were the only fun thing about the trials and you know it.
>>
>>31744760
Gym Leaders have multiple Pokémon that die to single SE hit.
Totem battles have one Pokémon that dies to poison or debuff.
>>
>>31744791
Yes, and that's the "facing a challenging opponent" bit you mentioned. The trials are menial tasks, yes, but so are gyms. You think any of those "puzzles" are actually anything more than following a linear path and interacting with a few triggers until the way to the leader is open?
>>
>>31740556
yeah fuck you!
>>
>>31744980
Thats wasnt me that was another person who agreed with me btw
>>
>>31744980
Thats like if legend of zelda just became a shit load of mini camps and mini caves with lots of mini bosses instead of temples with REAL ass bosses and mini bosses on the way. If you like sun and moon you hate the legend of zelda. And by that standard your a faggot anyways whos opinion doesnt really matter ;D
>>
>>31744760
And the one gym leader. Whitney in the origional gold and silver. Get a rom and play throught that shit without a fighting type and come back when you do it without whiting out.
>>
And if you hate gyms you also hate the elite 4. Whoch is just one ultra gym. With 4 super mini bosses before facing the ultimate champion
>>
>>31745707
How is that related to anything at all? Trials are still sanctioned-off areas where the trainer completes a task, just as gyms were, and Totems are tough battles with multiple Pokemon that await at the end of the task, just like gym leaders were. It's the same shit, only it just takes place outside instead of in a building in most cases, and you fight powerful but uncatchable wild Pokemon with allies and instant stat buffs instead of a straightforward trainer. They're not as drastically different as you perceive.

>false equivalence "if you like/hate this, you must hate/like this!" bullshit
>your
>whos
>;D

Never mind, I'm replying to bait, aren't I?

>>31745763
That's one out of the what, 50 gym leaders in existence? You sure showed him.
>>
>>31745842
He said name one you basement living jerkoff 4 times a day faggot bitch. Go ask your mommy and daddy to pay the internet bill. Or stfu and go get a job. Which im at right now and still can reply to basement goblins like you
>>
I only miss gyms because they made the cities and towns more memorable. Even though Kalos and Sinnoh are two of my least favorite regions, I can name the cities because I know which gyms are there.

In SM, I barely remember most of the cities because there's nothing to do in them. There's no sense of importance because the trials are outside of the towns.
>>
>>31740457
if I could use my own pokemon and not have to wear the gross ride outfit I wouldve loved it, would've been okay if you couldve at least taken the helmet off.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.