[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The level/map design of Alola is the worst of any region yet.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Alola.png (2MB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
Alola.png
2MB, 1280x905px
The level/map design of Alola is the worst of any region yet. Besides the region being small, it is heavily streamlined and has very little aptitude for exploration, while the places that you do get to explore are often either small and boring (e.g Ten Carat Hill, which is one straight hallway and an open, empty field) or possibly slightly frustrating because of uninituitive or annoying mechanics (Haina Desert).

Things like the Exeggutor Express, Mt. Lanakila's Elevators or the cave entrance in Wela Volcano Park that takes you straight to the top of the mountain are lazy ways for Game Freak to avoid spending time designing maps and rob the player of exploration. Inaccessible but clearly visible places like the golf course, power plant, cave entrances in places like Brooklet Hill and Poni Meadow, or the lighthouse and pagoda tower that you can't enter all add up to make for terrible and disappointing level design. Oh yeah, and remember how Ultra Space was literally one room?

Vast Poni Canyon is the only actual dungeon in this game. Even then it isn't that great because Lillie keeps interrupting you the first time with her asinine dialogue and heals your team to make it not challenging, but everything else is Rusturf Tunnel tier simplicity. Sun and Moon dropped the grid system and at first I thought that the level design would suffer for it, but Vast Poni Canyon is proof that Game Freak can *potentially* make good maps despite the change, even if it's only a single locale, hurt by the presence of Lillie and still rather lacking when it comes to complexity.
>>
File: Bell_Tower_5F_HGSS.png (20KB, 384x352px) Image search: [Google]
Bell_Tower_5F_HGSS.png
20KB, 384x352px
If you want some perspective regarding level design, locations I'd suggest you to look at from older games include Seafoam Islands, Ice Path, Shoal Cave, the Abandoned Ship, the Distortion World and B2W2's Victory road. These are (admittedly by Pokémon standards) well-crafted dungeons with some good puzzles and depth. Even the routes in Alola feel very small and insubstantial, paling in comparison to routes like Johto 45, Hoenn 120 or Unova 18.
>>
>>31718417
S/M truly are the "Awakening" of Pokemon.
>>
>>31718417
The game was rushed, nothing more to say
>>31718821
No, say what you will about Awakening, the devs put their heart and soul into the game because they thought it was gonna be the last one they made.
>>
>>31718844
>The game was rushed, nothing more to say
Maybe it was, but even if that is the case we shouldn't just call it rushed and shut up about it, we should articulate and share our critique of it.
>>
>>31718844
>le rushed meme
they even took an extra year like they would for a third version, it's not rushed they just don't care anymore
And why would they afterall SM are one of the best selling pokemon games
>>
>>31718844
>No, say what you will about Awakening, the devs put their heart and soul into the game because they thought it was gonna be the last one they made.

No they didn't. If anything they took the easy way out by pandering to Otakus/the lowest demographic. Awakening has the same problem of shitty map/level design that Sun & Moon do.
>>
>>31718873
Okay.
It was rushed and one of the things to suffer from it was the puzzles,which are often a later developed part of the game, so they put in things to move you form point A to Point B quickly. It sucks, nobody thinks it doesn't suck, but making a new thread to bitch about it every 6 hours does not help, nothing we can do can make GameFreak put puzzles into their games. If you want to do something useful then make your own game with puzzles, or better yet, make a ROM Hack for SM while including puzzles. Otherwise there is no point unless you get some pleasure saying "this sucks"
>>
>>31718897
Nigga wut? There are entire chunks of the map chopped off and a walk cycle for every damn pokemon in the pokedex in cut content. The game was rushed as hell
>>
>>31718417
Instead of circle jerking about it, why don't we all leave bad reviews on like Amazon and shit?
>>
>>31718897
I think you mean fastest selling. I don't think Sun & Moon have even outsold Diamond & Pearl.
>>
>>31718417
Can you imagine a 4th Gen designed Alola though?

All that exploration of the islands.
All those little side-roads off the main routes.
Volcano, Power Plant and snowy Mt Lanakila dungeons.
Cute HGSS-style pokemon following you.

It'd be awesome.
>>
File: 1474659854427.png (190KB, 683x401px) Image search: [Google]
1474659854427.png
190KB, 683x401px
>>31718916
This

I don't even hate it as much as you guys, hell if I gave an amazon review chances are it would be a 3, maybe a 2 for how horrible they've handled the online service lately but it has pained me seeing you people have legitimate complaints and getting brushed off. It makes my blood boil whenever someone posts le kids game argument because they constantly say in interviews that Pokemon targets all ages.

Curious to ask those who are disappointed by or feel nothing but bitterness towards these games have you tried to call them out outside of 4chan and how did it go if you did.
>>
>>31718985
I don't know that you can. If this was posted on some other, non-anonymous website wouldn't it be downvoted or flamed into oblivion because people hate negativity or are such blind fanboys that they can't stand to listen to criticism?
>>
>>31719241
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion on a forum or something as long as you're not making useless threads or hurling out insults like we do here.

Not sharing your opinion in fear of it amounting to nothing is not an excuse. Even if you say something on Amazon, social media, or even just in conversation in a fansite's chat room and no one listens, you've done more than you did before where you would just preach to the choir on /vp/.

You may not be able to change things, you may not be able to convince others, but dammit it's still worth trying in case just one of those many people wI'll hear you out and do the same.
>>
>>31718423
Why would an ancient tower have a floor with NOTHING but bicycle ramps?
>>
>>31718873
What does it matter anyway? Our critiques would never reach GameFreak anyway and never make for an actual change in the future games. They openly said that they ignore critique and fan feedback so as to not get influenced by it, because they want their ideas to be "fresh and personal" or whatever.
>>
>>31719328
Why does it matter? It's more important for it to be designed as a level in a video game than to accommodate realism.

>>31719340
Well the point of this board is to discuss Pokémon. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have exchanges of ideas, thoughts and feelings about the game than fap threads and gen wars.
>>
>>31719340
If gamefreak ignored """fans""" we'd be much better off.

They at least check social media but right now all that's doing is getting us stuck in remake hell because the only feedback is "SINNOH REMAKE WHEN????????"

At least try. I just can't take seeing you guys so down all the time okay. You have every right to dislike something and every right to at least try to say something. Your expectations aren't unreasonable at all.
>>
>>31719340
May as well delete this board since discussion won't mean anything in the long run then.
>>
>>31718912
yeah but it's not like they didn't complete everything because they did not have time, they knew it was going to be a top seller anyway so why bother putting effort into it
>>
new devs when
>>
>>31718417
Agreed
>>
>>31718974
It hurts that this will never happen.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.