[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did it go so wrong? What should have gone right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

How did it go so wrong?
What should have gone right?
>>
>>31715138
No Greninja = no buy
>>
wii u went wrong

if it goes to switch with all DLC characters it'll stand a chance
>>
Needed some people to drop at least $5k more
>>
>shit roster
>shit story mode
>on the wii u

gameplay was still good though
>>
>>31715308
>muh bro wasn't on the roster so it's shit amirite guys
>>
>>31715340
>Out of a choice of 700 characters, only 18 were chosen
>2 of them are there twice
>4 of them are arcade exclusive

I don't give a flying fuck if my bros got in or not, it's a boring as fuck roster, though it's cool they added Chandelure, Suicune, and Croagunk
>>
>>31715138
Adding cosplay pikachu instead of a different poke
>>
>>31715138
So many things, but it's not a bad game at all. Or at least, not any worse than other fighting games.
>>
>>31715138
>called Pokken
>plays nothing like Tekken
>>
>>31715138
Didn't try to be like other fighting games to appeal to the FGC who hates it when their skills don't transfer directly over to another game.
>>
>>31715397
>making fighting game characters is as easy as making RPG characters

you are a retard, fuck off
>>
While I preferred MvC3 way more than Pokken, I'd much prefer Pokken than TWO FUCKING SMASH GAMES
>>
Game isn't fun.
>>
>>31715340
It pretty much is

People play games like this for fanservice, not super srs competitive gameplay

No wonder it died
>>
>>31716384
I agree desu, tr4sh doesn't deserve to be there at all. Boring af.
>>
>>31715397
Literally fucking this
Yes it's hard to make move sets and new animations for them in the first place, but FOR FUCK SAKES MAN, Bandai AND gamefreak worked on this, you would think that AT LEAST there would be 20-25 ORIGINAL fighters clones not included, but instead we get even fucking less I mean my fucking god, and the worst part is that there's fucking faggots like this dude >>31716356 white knighting this fucking mistake, it's not even about the bros or not bros being in, it's about the actual effort and aside from the graphics nothing else was really fucking worked on
>>
>>31716617
Stay mad meleefag
>>
>>31716206
In Germany it's quite literally called Pokemon Tekken. Cue all the confused people when they saw the actual gameplay.
>>
>game itself isn't much fun at all
>minimal solo content
>local multiplayer on console is a crapshoot
>doesn't at least have a shit ton of shallow characters for novelty appeal
>>
File: 1486446032474.jpg (183KB, 1124x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486446032474.jpg
183KB, 1124x1024px
>>31715138
I have a shit-ton of IRL friends. Nearly 40 of them expressed lots of interest in the game, but when the game actually released it was an entirely different story.

>Around 22 of them expressed complaints of how lacking the game was in content overall, which turned them off the game
>9 of them were turned off sheerly by the puny, and in their eyes lackluster roster
>5 of them LEGITIMATELY thought that the lack of Greninja was enough to get uninterested, seriously

Only like 4 of us ended up buying the game. I like it, but i do have to admit it feels a little barren. And even if phase shifting separates it from other fighting games, i feel like it would be more aproachable if it stuck to a single mode. The Dual phases make it stupidly complicated to do proper Local Multiplayer.

All in all, i'm sure a sequel would fix nearly all the complaints people have, but i'm not sure if it's even being considered anymore...
>>
>>31716639
16 character is twice the average for the amount of fighters in the first game of a fighting game series though
>>
>>31716342
Except Pokken is a pretty traditional fighting game aside from the phase shift stuff.

The FGC just doesn't realize it because they see >nintendo and don't bother to look further
>>
>>31716873
in the 90s, yeah
>>
File: hiker.png (630KB, 800x575px) Image search: [Google]
hiker.png
630KB, 800x575px
I think Pokken might actually be my least often played Wii U game, even less than Star Fox Zero.

I only turned it on 3 times in total. Once to play and finish story mode, once to play online for about 50 matches and once months later to play with a friend.
>>
File: unamused pepe gun.jpg (28KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
unamused pepe gun.jpg
28KB, 380x250px
>HURR DURR THE ROSTER IS SHIT

No shut the fuck up faggot

It has the 4 obligatory marketing icon mons (pikachu, charizard, lucario, mewtwo)
It has 5 very popular mons among-st casual fans (gengar, blaziken, gardevoir, garchomp, scizor)
It has 2 decently popular legendaries that are somewhat recognizable to casual fans (suicuine, darkrai)
it has 4 popular pokemon amongst more hardcore fans (weavile, machamp, sceptile, chandelure)
and it has braixen for furfags

It has covers every possible demographic with popular picks among them while covering nearly every type and without having just bipeds It's one of the best possible rosters you could assemble for a pokemon fighting game. Litterally the only flaws is libre, Empoleon and shadowtwo.

As far as the character quanitity, let's look at the character quantity for the following of the first games in each of these series:

>Street Fighter 2 (since 1 isn't really the same shit): 8
>Mortal Kombat: 7
>Tekken: 8
>KI: 10
>Virtua fighter:8
>Soul Calibur: 10
>Skullgirls:8

Pokken had on launch 16, which is, on average, a little under TWICE the amount of characters they had.
>>
>>31716971
Also, said roster covers every type but 2.
>>
>>31716873

8 was standard 16bit era, 12-16 was standard 32bit era, it's usually 20+ as standard now.

Smaller rosters are acceptable for very varied/very good fighters, but even ignoring the two clones, HALF the pokken rosters plays exactly the same. If you can play as Pikachu, you can play as Lucario. At a basic level, the differences might as well be cosmetic. The game kinda being Not Super Fun just makes it worse.

Additionally, in regards Fun: the Assists. I know they gave that Balancing excuse (which is moot since only 2-3 assists are actually competitively viable), but not being able to mix and match assist pairings is Super Boring. If MVC can let you mix and match three whole fucking characters, you can at least make assist pairings customizable.
>>
>>31717025
>s, but even ignoring the two clones, HALF the pokken rosters plays exactly the same. If you can play as Pikachu, you can play as Lucario. At a basic level, the differences might as well be cosmetic. The game kinda being Not Super Fun just makes it worse.

This is the most blatently incorrect thing i've seen in like 4 days. What rank are you?
>>
>>31716971
>Empoleon
>flaw
kys
>>
>>31717052

Well, I didn't play the game much besides some offline and online matchers with friends, and probably half of the dreadful story mode. Because of that I'd be willing to accept your argument, but then.. you mentioned "rank"... which in turn made me realize you're "someone who is still playing pokken and therefore probably completely fucking insane holy shit",
>>
>>31715138
>Small Roster
>Played nothing Like Tekken despite the name
>>
File: 1485687164989.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1485687164989.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
>>31716971
>starter Pokemon (sceptile, empoleon) being less popular among casuals than a weeb fapbait (gardevoir) and any non-Dragonite pseudo
>legendaries being less popular than anything except starters and the marketing icons
This is how you spot someone who didn't step out of their /vp/ bubble in a long while
>>
>>31716971
Redpill me on Empoleon, is it not liked?
>>
>>31717528
>redpill
No brother it is clearly the Alpha choice being inspired by Napoleon and Poseidon, true white conquerers. The betas think Slant eyed Infernape is superior choice with sneaky (((Stealth Rocks))) but it is not.
>>
>>31716881
No, it's not. Holy shit, stop false flagging for Pokken.
>>
>>31717345
Gardevoir was the most popular Pokemon to use in Amie throughout Gen VI according to PGL
>>
>>31715138
Over 700 Pokemon and we get 16. This is completely unfair. Which is why I can't wait for Pokken 2 to be on the Switch.

The story was shitty

Only major known Pokemon on it
FFS not even Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Arcanine, Raichu, or even any Eevees were on it.

This game wasn't meant for /us/ guys, this game was meant for normies who owned a Wii U cause they got it for the 4 main games on the system.

>>31716971
Wow, can you sound any more mad?

Seriously anon, this game made me legit mad for almost a month after I bought it. I was thrilled about it, expecting DLC. But then they said Empoleon, scizor, and Darkrai were ONLY on the arcade editions, that shit is unfair. I paid 60 for this. Also traded in my copy of Mario maker which I could be making levels and more of a challenge than than this. The only thing that was a literal challenge of this game was pissed off Mewtwo

They literally made Beaner girl Pika and Pissed off Mewtwo.

Why? Why not a skin? They had potential to add WAY more to it. But did they? No. I have a feeling this game was forced.
>>
>>31716639
Thanks for outing you have no idea how fighting games (especially the first game of its brand) works
>>
>>31715138
Nothing really, all it needed was the additional characters that the arcade game got.
Aside from that it was a solid fighter.
>>
>>31718455
>Over 700 Pokemon and we get 16
Kill yourself alakazam. If you think 100 characters for a fighting game is possible even for a seventh entry, you're not as smart as you think
>>
>>31716660
Because "Pokken" sounds like the name of an actual disease in Germany.
>>
>>31716639
Can we stop with this whole "Hurr Durr Fightan games take a shitton of money to make Hurr Durr. Theory bullshit"
>>
>>31718455
>Why? Why not a skin?
Why would you want a skin over a character with their own movesets?
>>
>>31718511
Not even that dude, it's the fact that they could of put 50 at least. Shit look at Smash or Street fighter. I'm not asking for 100, but fuck, 16/18? Come on. That's weak from a company that could really do better and plus, 4 other people are with me on this.
>>
>>31718522
Well, if anything then add another Pokemon. I mean it makes no since to have the same Pokemon twice if all you're doing is changing a move set. It seems like a rip off.
>>
>>31716639
>you would think that AT LEAST there would be 20-25 ORIGINAL fighters clones not included
That's way too much for the first game in there series anon. And it only has original characters cry as much as you want about Libre and Shadow but their moves, hitboxes, reach etc, you know things that sets characters apart are all completely different from Pikachu and Mewtwo.
>>
>>31718535
I'm hoping the do amazing in the 2nd game. Maybe they are going the Smash bros route and doing a handful of "test" characters to see what to do next in the next games.
>>
>>31715138
The problem is that they tried to make an actual balanced fighting game that would appeal to hardcore players, when the Pokemon fanbase would have preferred a Pokemon version of Tenkaichi Budokai (ie 100+ characters with no real attempt at balance or depth).
>>
>>31718523
>it's the fact that they could of put 50 at least.
If you wanted the game to take 5 to 7 more years to make sure they could have.
Also are you seriously comparing it to Street Fighter and Smash? The former has about, what 26 years (since SF2. Going from 1 that's about 30 years now) over it and Smash has about 18.
Hell, SF 5 only has 23 characters and they had the models of 44 characters from USF4 that could have been given a slight update and slapped in
Smash on the other hand has 58 with a hell of a lot of reused models and slightly adjusted movesets.

Pokken is a two year series
I don't think you understand how much effort has to go into a fighter, they are by far one of the most arduous types of game to develop.
>>
>>31715138
Shillmons take up two slots.
Arcade exclusives.
No normal or rock types, bug rep is arcade only.
WiiU is a failure of a console.
>>
>>31718892
So nothing legitimate.
>>
>>31718907
Yeah, Pokken is nothing legitimate.
>>
>>31718914
I mean the "mistakes" you listed.
>>
>>31716873
>series
it may as well be a standalone at this point, with how it's been treated it may as well be as dead as darkstalkers
>>
>>31719180
Except it's been treated as well as every other arcade game?
>>
>>31719349
With how TPCi has been treating it (dropping support, not allowing DLC to be released,) it may never become a series. At this point all we can do is get on our hands and knees and beg them for another chance. I.E. petition.
>>
>>31720813
So like every other arcade game.
>>
>>31715138
>half of the then-existing fire starters chosen as playable characters
>they're all the ones Game Freak has shilled the most
>other 3 don't get a chance in the spotlight for once
>>
>>31718703
i heard this was in the making for several years, not just 2.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.