[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Sun and Moon the Super Mario Sunshine of Pokémon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: sms.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sms.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
Are Sun and Moon the Super Mario Sunshine of Pokémon?
>>
>>31664888

In the strict sense that they both take place in tropical locations, sure, I guess so.
>>
The music is actually really similar. I was just thinking this not too long ago.
But Mariofags are blinded by nostalgia, Mario 64 has aged like milk but they still think its the best 3D mario title. At least most Pokefags can admit that Gen I and II have some glaring issues.
>>
>>31664888
Not bad games, but didn't meet the hype and expectations of previous games in the series?
>>
File: IMG_0357.png (845KB, 626x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0357.png
845KB, 626x636px
I mean they both take place in tropical locations, so yeah, they are.

Also, Sirena Beach comfiest level
>>
are you trying to say Sun and Moon are good or Mario Sunshine is bad?

either way both of those statements are wrong.
>>
>>31664925
But 64 is still a fantastic game and so is GSC

>>31664930
Yes
>>
>>31664997
undeniably fantastic, but still the newer games are much better
>>
>>31664925

SMW > SMB3 > SMG2 > SMG > SMB > SM64 > SM3DW > SMS > SMB2 > NSMBU > NSMBW.

But it's tougher to rank than Pokemon games. Like, SMB is maybe *the* most influential video game of all time, and unlike Gen I Pokemon games, it's still a great game even by modern standards. And I had no idea where to throw in the NSMB games. And do you include just the console games, or handheld games also? And maybe the 2D and 3D games should be separate lists?

It's much tougher than ranking the Pokemon games.
>>
>>31665016
The design philosophies of 64/Sunshine, Galaxy/Galaxy 2 and 3D Land/3D World are so distinct that it isnt outside the realm of possibility that one may like 64 the most
>>
>>31665045
in terms of actual game design though, 64 is objectively the weakest.
>>
>>31665038
The New Super Mario Bros games have absolutely no business being so low except probably the 3DS one.
>>
>>31665055
>objectively

Not quite sure you understand that word.
>>
>>31665055
Even if that were true, it means nothing if one prefers a sandbox experience to linear individual levels. The sandbox game would have to be shit for someone to go against their preference

>>31665088
it's just a /vp/ figure of speech nowadays
>>
>>31665088
>dated controls, camera, and graphics
>game can easily be broken and beaten
No its pretty objective that its the weakest in terms of design. But that's only because it pioneered the genre of 3d platforming.
>>
>>31665081

See, I don't necessarily disagree. But then, where do they go? I've played them both, but to be honest I don't remember them that well, other than they were "more of the same." They're certainly more modern games than, say, Super Mario Bros., but are they better? I don't think so, but it's debatable.

Like I said, it's a tough list to make.
>>
>>31664888
I made a post like this a couple days ago, and I'd say in a way yes they are.

Problem is I don't get how Sunshine fell into the same issue. Gamefreak being amateurs at 3D is what's screwing them over right now, but SMS was a first party game, they made the hardware it was on itself.
>>
>>31665123
It's tough because Mario games are all pretty great and more or less equal in quality and rankings will all be preference.

Like, I know World should be first, but I'd personally put 3 and Yoshi's Island above it.

Also a personal note, I just prefer the modern format of including a Tower/Fort in the middle of a world and a castle at the end, as they have different design philosophies and thus give us more variation. I also find the push for branching levels since World to be essential.
>>
time for my shitty opinions galaxy>sunshine=64>galaxy2=3dland>3dworld
>>
>>31665205
you're right. That IS a shitty opinion.
>>
>>31665186
>Like, I know World should be first, but I'd personally put 3 and Yoshi's Island above it.

A lot of people would put 3 above World. I think I'm an outlier in putting World first. (And damn it, I totally forgot about Yoshi's Island. Justifiable, I think, as it's kind of a separate series despite starting as "Super Mario World 2.")
>>
>>31665207
I warned you man

shouldn't have looked
>>
>>31664888
depends. what are the Sun/Moon equivalents of the Corona Mountain level and the Watermelon mission?
>>
>>31665038
I'd say 3D and 2D should be seperate lists
>>
>>31665278
same. It's not even fair to compare them because Mario 3 is just too good
>>
>>31665219
True on Yoshi's Island. Same with Wario Land (never played)

However, you did forget Super Mario Land 1 and 2.

And nah, I think World is most people's fave
>>
>>31665275
Totem Mimikyu
>>
>>31664997
Johto was the worst title in the series.

I'm not saying they weren't important, because they were a massive mechanical improvement. But that's the problem, Johto was too ahead of itself. It introduced too much and was unpolished. The design was cluttered, everything was ugly, the region was poorly mapped, and the gyms sucked.
>>
No they are the Sonic 06 of Pokemon
>>
>>31665311
*bubsy 3d
>>
>>31665302
nah
>>
>>31665311
Sun and Moon aren't broken, buggy messes though.
>>
>>31665504
Amazingly, they still manage to be complete garbage.
>>
>>31664888
You mean initially over hyped and then overly shat on by autists for a few years minimum before people mellow the fuck out about it? Then yeah.
>>
>>31665486
look at the idiot that just shills whatever stupid shit he wants without having actually played johto in the past 10 years

it was shit game, go play it, it's fucking garbage.
>>
>>31665302
More like it was rushed out the gate and was the first gen to ride too hard off of kanto as a "sequel" instead of its own game. Thank fuck Iwata saved the gsc dev team so they could squeeze in a gimped kanto that people overstate to hell and back, or else it would be the smallest and least impressive entry in the series.
>>
>>31665583
actually, I played last week.
It's not a shit game. I don't know why are you so mad.
>>
File: 1485489721318.png (224KB, 488x383px) Image search: [Google]
1485489721318.png
224KB, 488x383px
>>31665118
>dated graphics
>design
???
also sm64 has pretty tight controls, no idea what you're talking about with that
>>
>>31665607
because it's the worst main series pkmn game
>>
>>31665629
no, it's not.
>>
File: 1484767814518.png (157KB, 445x604px) Image search: [Google]
1484767814518.png
157KB, 445x604px
>>31664932
>Phantom manta ray level
>>
>>31665302
This, but the opposite
>>
>>31665619
>forcing a mission select on you because they had no idea how to design an openworld 3d platformer isn't dated as fuck
>>
>>31665123
The thing is though, in what category would you say 3/World exceed NSMB? Controls/gameplay? Not really. Level design? NSMB games have significantly more varied and interesting levels than those. Story?
>>
>>31666249
The worlds of World are pretty varied
>>
>>31664943
S/M are good

Sunshine is good.

Sunshine wasn't as groundbreaking as 64 but it was an overall enjoyable game with some great mechanics. It's one of the lesser 3D console Marios but the 3D console Marios were all really good.

Likewise, S/M is not the best Pokémon game but it is good. Better than XY if nothing else.

>>31664932
I'd agree if not for the goddamn manta ray. I was never able to beat that thing as a kid.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.