[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In retrospect, was there a reason to have the Elite 4 in gens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Blue-original.png (51KB, 100x305px) Image search: [Google]
Blue-original.png
51KB, 100x305px
In retrospect, was there a reason to have the Elite 4 in gens after gen1? I mean, I get that Pokemon is a very formula-based game and these days people would probably have a shitfit if games didn't include gyms + elite 4, but realistically the elite 4 was executed the best in Gen1. You beat the ultimate challenge only to find out there's one more opponent AND it's your rival. We don't think of it now but it's probably the biggest and best twist in any pokemon game. Everything after that is downhill. So every gen after 1 just has an elite 4 + champion to emulate the first game without replicating the narrative impact of your rival appearing. In that case might it just have been better to have different endgames?
>>
File: c76.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
c76.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
>>
>>31653524
I think we're perfectly fine with the E4 even in the later games, but yeah, RGB did it best.
>>
I just hate how they keep repeating the same trope after gen 2. You meet a "mysterious trainer" who has some plot significance and then to no one's surprise they are the champion.
>>
>>31653640
>Diantha
>Plot Significance
>>
>>31653524
Makes sense in Gen II as well, since it is the same league. Also, Red is a great final boss, and he is not in a league.
But yeah, it got repetitive after a while. I liked in Gen V where you could battle them in any order.
>>
>>31653640
Alder broke this tradition though. They openly say he's the Champion the first time you meet him. I don't like him, but that's one of the few things he did right.
>>
I loved it in BW1. The twist being that N beats Alder before you can. Throughout the whole Elite Four sequence from Route 10 to the League there's a sense of tension as you've got to try and stop N, and it makes the Elite Four even more intense than usual. The fact that the story climax is at the end of the Elite Four rather than it being "the climax of the actual plot is over, now defeat the Elite Four" worked really well.

I was almost hoping SM didn't have a Pokemon League. I get that you were the first challenger, but it didn't feel that exciting after having a very story driven game and having trials instead of gyms. I think they should have focused more on the story in the endgame and have the Elite Four be a postgame challenge.
>>
>>31653524
Tbh I didn't expect Kukui to be the champion
>>
>>31653710

I disagree

Kukui makes it clear against Guzma why he created the league

He even says before you fight him that the battle will be a celebration of your Island trial
>>
>>31653563
>membase.com
>shitty meme
Just die fucking newfag

Also OP point is a valid one.
>>
>>31653524

>Best plot twist in any game

Yeah definitely not N crashing the Party and shoving his Fucking castle on top of the league
>>
>>31653710

I feel the goodbye Lillie have to Cosmog after you capture Solgaleo/Lunala was great enough

And the transition of Nanu watching you to explain what happens next felt smooth

I hate to say it, but the game made it's own "it all comes together"
>>
File: 1474149654019.png (117KB, 267x179px) Image search: [Google]
1474149654019.png
117KB, 267x179px
>thinking that post was serious
>>
>>31653740
COME ON
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.