[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has Game Freak forgotten that Pokémon is about exploration?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: Karate King.png (711KB, 792x720px) Image search: [Google]
Karate King.png
711KB, 792x720px
Why has Game Freak forgotten that Pokémon is about exploration?
>>
>>31622164
The exploration in pokemon has always been pretty shit
>>
>>31622164
Exploration was never anything special. In SM, you at least had a reason to explore more, even if it was only for the Zygarde cells. Most games don't even have that. You explored for an extra Potion most of the time.
>>
>>31622175
It's the tertiary ingredient to this series. Only behind the Pokémon themselves and battling.
>>
>>31622164
>Pokémon is about exploration
No, it isn't. It never has been. Pokémon has always been about raising monsters and forming close bonds with them.
>>
What about that pointless cove on Melemele Island?
>>
>>31622164
The Johto region is the best when it comes to exploration. I still remember how excited I was when I got that Tyrogue from him
>>
>>31622201
>Catching Pokémon
>Raising Pokémon
>Battling Pokémon
>Trading Pokémon

Exploration is a quinary ingredient at best.
>>
Actually, as your image states, it's about growth.

That said the level design is fucking shit in SM and has in general been in notable decline since BW1.
>>
>>31622201
Exploration was never good though, GameFreak didn't forget about exploration, they just never cared to improve on it.
>>
File: Union Cave Lapras.png (598KB, 600x540px) Image search: [Google]
Union Cave Lapras.png
598KB, 600x540px
>>31622197
No, you explored for legendary Pokémon, rare TMs or hold items, small events or encounters like the pic in OP, and sometimes (less commonly) lore.
>>
>>31622218

>tfw when the first time i did it i didn't know how that you had to fucking have an open slot, and i had to leave and come back
>>
>>31622164
Pokemon has always been a rather linear game. I think it's more the style has changed from a solo adventure of just you and your team to one where there's more people involved. Which I absolutely hate. Give me my starter and let me go free.
>>
>>31622225
I'd consider catching and raising to fall in with battling since you have to battle to do either of those.
>>
>>31622244
Most of those are still a thing. Legendaries have become more intergrated into the story and have lessened in number. You still explore for them, but you're kinda forced to. Sorry if it doesn't seem special to you if it isn't optional.
>>
>>31622244
You do that in most gens except for Kalos, Unova and Alola. I'm pretty sure it's because kids though Sinnoh was too hard to navigate.
>>
why are sun and moon's dungeons so short in sun and moon
why do very few levels take advantage of the fact that you have the ride pager now
why are none of the legendaries confined to actual dungeons other than guzzlord
>>
>>31622274
It literally was. Though strangely they only had a problem with Platinum, not DP.

>>31622288
>dungeons

The only real dungeons in Alola are Po Town and Vast Poni Canyon. Everything else is some Verdanturf Tunnel or Connecting Cave tier shit.
>>
I hope that we get more exploration soon. It's been decreasing in recent gens.
>>
I bet you OP hasn't even explored the cave in Mele Mele Meadow, or Kala'e Bay
>>
File: fags.jpg (34KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
fags.jpg
34KB, 720x720px
>>31622164
they haven't.

>pic related
>>
>>31623286
Which are interconnected and you have to go through Seaward Cave to reach Kala'e Bay, so I don't know why you'd say "or"
>>
File: 1481327971142.jpg (304KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481327971142.jpg
304KB, 849x1200px
>>31622164
It is like a transition from megaten to persona. We go on a date with NPC now.
>>
>>31623322

Pokemon wishes it was 1/10 as exciting as Persona 3

I killed a bare chested deity with fat tiddies on a goddamn train rotating at 200MPH
>>
I wish exploration was still a big thing. I remember how excited I was when I first found Articuno in the Seafoam Islands for the first time. It was a huge surprise and felt like I was being rewarded for exploring an optional area. Nowadays most legendaries are either spoon fed to you or event only.
>>
>>31623322
>tfw this will never happen to you ever.
>>31623504
Same experience in fire red, that shit was completely jarring. Whats more memorable to me was exploring the old chateau in pearl.
>>
File: 1405300161380.jpg (175KB, 1089x607px) Image search: [Google]
1405300161380.jpg
175KB, 1089x607px
>>31623543
fucking kill me now, please
>>
>>31623504
>then people complain when the game doesn't tell you well about Necrozma
>>
not just exploration, but also the feeling of completing something by your own merit

catching an event mon is 10x more memorable than having it spoonfed to you via wi-fi

save wi-fi events for mons that aren't available in the current games (eg. celebi) and special moves/forms (eg. NE Pichu)
>>
>>31623618
I like how the gen 4 events that came with amazing shit weren't even ever made legally available
>>
>>31623630
the shaymin and darkrai were, just not the arceus

maybe they'll pull a delta episode with remakes and let us catch arceus, maybe pull from HG/SS and let you create the other box legend
>>
>>31623640
I meant SinJoh ruins, the celebi event, and the lock box
>>
>>31623673
SinJoh ruins was legally available, what are you talking about.
>>
>>31623640
>at the end of DP, Cyrus is still free to conduct his plans
>they keep this in the remakes
>ends up finding out about Arceus and takes control of it
>cue Griseous Episode or some shit where Cyrus succeeds in changing the world
>except you're protected by having caught Dialga/Palkia
>have to get Giratina and its crazy new form to be able to break Cyrus's control, then catching it and confronting him in a newly renovated Hall of Origin

writes itself
>>
>>31623673
sinjoh was legit

so was celebi, I think

>>31623690
oh shit I'm down for this
>>
>>31622164
I Hate caves
>>
>>31622268
Then exploring should also fall in with battling, since you have to catch and raise Pokémon in order to explore.
>>
>>31622164
Children with decreasing attention spans. One of the devs mentioned it as the reason the games were getting easier.
>>
>>31622272
None of them have anything interesting or unique, like coming on a Friday evening or the Braille, though. Most of the legendaries in this game are genuinely just shitty random encounters.
>>
I get it, you all hate puzzles. You'd rather everything be a trainer gauntlet(I.e. ten fights per hour) with the only variation being some pretty flowers every now and then.

All you want to do is play through for the "stories". For a post game you want more of the same, just extra hallways to navigate and maybe some different colored flowers.
>>
File: 1421490418223.jpg (70KB, 594x480px) Image search: [Google]
1421490418223.jpg
70KB, 594x480px
>>31622164
Masuda is like Aonuma, he has a different view of what the Pokémon series is meant to be than the person who created the original game. Only difference is Aonuma managed to get his head out of his ass and listen to criticism when Skyward Sword had such negative fan reception, which is why BotW looks so promising, while Masuda ignores and sometimes antagonizes the fans on purpose.

Ohmori seems to have different priorities overall than Masuda if SM is any indication, but he also had an even bigger emphasis on linearity. Time will tell if he's willing to listen to how the older fans feel, though, considering SM already brought back some minor QoL features from older games like day/night encounters returning for the first time since Gen 4 and town having unique day/night music like in Sinnoh (though routes didn't), and since following Pokémon were planned for the game and almost completed asset-wise digging through the game's code. I'm willing to wait a couple generations and see if things improve.
>>
>>31622272
>You still explore for them, but you're kinda forced to
Forced exploration is not exploration my dense friend.
>>
>>31622164
I hate the word "exploration". It's just a fucking buzzword. When people say it they usually mean some vague combo of map design and atmosphere, but it's hard to concretely discuss anything because faggots through that word around and just expect you to know what they're bitching about.
>>
Just a quick reminder that the Regi quest in ORAS does NOT count as exploration and is actually just tedious bullshit.
>>
File: 1481964210803.png (85KB, 312x332px) Image search: [Google]
1481964210803.png
85KB, 312x332px
>legendaries will never be completely optional and missable again
>the games will never let you explore a full-fledged, optional dungeon to be rewarded at the end with a cool Pokemon
>the games will never let you do shit out of order again
>tfw you can't even walk into a mandatory town or city anymore without a character popping out from the side telling how great your doing for no fucking reason

Why did it have to come to this?
>>
>>31625515
>I hate the word "exploration". It's just a fucking buzzword
Exploration is a real world you autistic faggot.
"Open-world" is a buzzword. Exploration is a real term from our language. Stop being triggered by vocabulary
>>
>>31625549
I think he more or less means people stop right there without giving detail. It's a pretty general term, but the faggot just wants to nit pick your arguments instead of the overall concept.
>>
File: 1485625907189.jpg (210KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1485625907189.jpg
210KB, 1000x700px
>>31622244
God, the first time I found lapras in that cave as a kid really felt... good.

They stopped doing this, I'm just realizing; at least until gen VI the third legendary was up to you to find, Negrozma is thrown at you in the postgame quest, jesus. Wow.

I enjoyed SM, I really liked them and I consider gen VII having the best quality of innovations, (with gen V only bringing... re-usable repels and a lot of pokémon? triple and rotates have been killed too.)

But your pic related? That was some good stuff, I miss it.

And I've heard so many stories on how to get to mirage island on RSE from kids at summer camps from all around here in italy, Internet was not a thing and I never ended to witness pic related eventually.
>>
>>31625525
But it's tedious bullshit that's authentic to the original games.
>>
File: 1477356361781.png (234KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1477356361781.png
234KB, 500x400px
>>31625525
>>
>>31622274
You can do it in Alola as well tho Is not as required as K/J/H/S Unova and Kalos are both mistakes in form of regions.
>>
>>31622274
Have you guys really not played Black and White 2?
The exploration in Unova was fantastic there were so many hidden areas and caves to explore.
>>
>>31623690
Lacks some Zinnia.
>>
>>31626489
Like, such as?
If you think that Castelia park counts as a GOOD hidden place, you better not even bother replying.
>>
File: 1480981010098.jpg (60KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480981010098.jpg
60KB, 1200x900px
>>31625581
Necrozama wasn't thrown at you. You had to look for it and even then the only clue you were given is Looker saying he saw something flying around. How the hell are you supposed to know it would be at Ten Carat Hill? There's no real reason to go back there unless you missed the Z crystal or attempting to fill the Pokedex.
>>
>>31622197
Kanto allowed you to take different directions to progress, plus the Power Plant.
Johto had Kanto.
Nearly half of Hoenn was optional.
Then it was all down hill from there.
>>
>>31625515
One of the reasons I really liked Johto and to some extent, Kanto, is because they took the effort to put events and lore in places that required you talking to people, or looking around for you to really pick up on. Like the Mewtwo entries in Cinnabar (it was pretty cool when you realize that that's what you were fighting later on), or the Lapras on Friday.

Basically, there were things that were unsolved that no one could (or wanted to) help you with, because it was for you to figure out. But they were also completely optional if you took the time to look around. Some consider it boring but I consider it a reward system for actually playing the game.

Kinda like the O-Power lore in ORAS. Wasn't that cool for some of you?
>>
>>31626684
Well there's that because it's fairly hidden away as far as pokemon goes
>Clay tunnel
>Mistralton cave
>Abyssal ruins
>Relic Passage that connects to just about everywhere
>Various things hidden around the like the pixie caves
>Moor or Icirrus
>Strange house
>Twist Mountain

Then there are areas that unlock after their story portions like
>Lower areas of Reversal mountain
>Old Plasma Castle
>Lower Seaside Cave

Pretty sure there something I'm missing but all of those areas are optional and for the player to find and explore at their own whim and even the areas that appeared in BW1 have had several changes made to them. Not to mention the original portion of Unova and all of the hidden legendary caves.
>>
>>31625471
Except Hoenn and Sinnoh still have even more exploration than the first two generations and Ohmori was actually the head designer for Sinnoh
>>
>>31623568
There's a difference between a stationary legendary visible in the overworld and something just tossed in the grass to mingle with the shitmons.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>31626850
>Implying Gen 1 had more exploration than Gen 4
>>
>>31622164
caves were fucking cancer and I'm glad they are mostly gone
>>
File: 1481951077299.png (174KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1481951077299.png
174KB, 960x960px
>>31626850
>Kanto allowed you to take different directions to progress, plus the Power Plant.
>Johto had Kanto.

Exploring in kanto blew because of the wild pokemon levels. What the absolute fuck were they thinking capping johto wilds at lvl 20-30 then throwing you into Kanto with pokemon at the same fucking beginner levels they were in gen 1/3?

It blows my fucking mind that someone thought this was a good idea back in 1999 and still thought it was a good idea 10 years later. Even Cerulean cave whic is inaccessible until Kanto is completed had its levels nerfed from gen 1/3 except for mewtwo for some fucking reason.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.