[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Hoenn the best region in terms of level design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Hoenn.png (2MB, 1250x884px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn.png
2MB, 1250x884px
Why is Hoenn the best region in terms of level design?
>>
>>31604968
Probably because they threw everything else out to focus on it.
>>
>>31604984
Like what?
>>
>>31604968
Because gen 3 is where the series finally came together and Game Freak finally had it figured out. GSC was a big step forward but it was too rushed to catch everything and would up just being Gen 1.5.

Shame gen 4 was such a disaster.
>>
>>31604968
I think Hoenn is the best region in general actually
>>
>>31604968
I could put up with the overdone tropical theme if there weren't so much featureless water. Emphasis on "featureless"
>>
>>31604968
It's half water, how does that qualify as good design? I get they were trying to do a half land/half water thing thematically, but half water is basically half cave. There isn't even much to find while surfing. You need to remove the whole battling mechanic of the game with Repel just to make it bearable.

>>31605041
Are you kidding? Sinnoh fixed everything that was wrong with Hoenn. Yeah, surfing may be slow in Diamond and Pearl, but it sure helps that there are only 4 water routes compared to Hoenn's 17. Hoenn also had very little post-game. The only new post-game locations in Gen III were the Battle Tower/Frontier, Southern Island (which was an event), and a few tiny areas in Emerald like where you get the other fossil, Terra Cave, and Marine Cave.
>>
>according to that one map of all the regions Hoenn is rotated 90 degrees from everyplace else.

Must be weird to grow up somewhere where every building and house faces south then move to Hoenn where they all face west.
>>
>>31605041
>GSC
>Rushed
I think you meant XY and SM.
GSC looks like a Gen 1.5 because it was intended to be so. A sequel or expansion to the first games.
It's only with RS that gens really started to differentiate to each others.
>>
>>31605346
>Must be weird to grow up somewhere where every building and house faces south then move to Hoenn where they all face west.

I was flying on Latias in AS earlier today had a good chuckle seeing towns from the opposite direction. There's just blank walls everywhere when you look south or west or wherever the fuck. Finally being able to move the camera around made me realize how hilariously jarring it is.
>>
>>31605231
It's about the optional/secret locations and the layout of the dungeons man.

Route 119 and 120 are some of the best routes out there. Shoal Cave and the Abandoned Ship are absolutely cream of the crop when it comes to dungeon design. The Safari Zone is decently expansive and fun to explore with the Emerald additions. And that Victory Road.

I like Sinnoh and Mt. Coronet but the region is overall lacking compared to Hoenn in those regards. For examples, compare Mt. Pyre to Lost Tower, Shoal Cave to Iron Island, Route 120 to Route 217 or the Hoenn Safari Zone to the Great Marsh.
>>
>>31605396
Yes, you're right. SM may as well be Gen 6.5 after all seeing how there is literally no fucking changes besides graphics.
>>
>>31604968
Alola looked like it was going to be a Hoenn 2.0 until I realized I wasn't allowed to explore the routes myself. Sinnoh was pretty good too but Hoenn was the most fun to roam around. It's sad that ever since they started using 3D the level design has really suffered.
>>
>>31608010
They were the intended X/Y sequels after all.
>>
>>31604968
The first half is fucking execlent and incredibly made

But going past Fortree I lose my enjoyment
>>
>hoenn being the best at ANYTHING
>>
Fairly big, detailed, nooks crannies and beaten paths to explore, effective puzzles, no dumb gimmicks that exist solely to slow you down like Sinnoh's swamps or snow fields which along with weaker puzzle design are the main things that prevent it from reigning supreme
>>
I'm not the only one who really likes the giant ocean area post lilycove, right?

I love exploring all the dive spots and grabbing the ev items hidden on rocks. Honestly one of the reasons I like Hoenn so much is because of all the water. It seems everyone else hates it for that though.
>>
They should've made Mirage Island appear more often and utilize it better
Otherwise it's really good, my favourite at least

How do the people who live in Lavaridge get back to town
>>
>>31611131
they never leave
>>
>>31611124
>Honestly one of the reasons I like Hoenn so much is because of all the water.
This. Fuck the ones who complained, they are the responsibles of Alola's water parts being so limited and pathetic.
>>
>>31611124
I liked the high amount of water. Dive spots and current puzzles were fun. The fact that some of the routes were optional/ had optional areas in them was neat. I also liked how almost all of the routes had some water on them. It helped to make it feel dynamic. Even if it was just a small pond or two. Kalos and its unsurfable rivers still bug me though.
>>
>>31611124
I liked the diving and the streams and the hidden caves and stuff like that too
Could've had more variety in the wild pokemon encounters though
>>
The unnecessary backtracking was idiotic. They should have streamlined the map so you don't reach a dead end and have to go all the way around.

I don't think there is two much water but it could have been done better. Still pretty good level design. After you run around the place aimlessly it ends up making sense. Should have been like that from the beginning.

The newer entries in the game really lose the sense of a connected world and become just a series of levels. SM takes this to the extreme by having everything on different islands with no way to logically connect them. I still enjoyed SM but the map needs more cohesion.
>>
>>31611124
I had no issue with it, and ORAS spiced it up with stuff like surfing trainers and actual dive trainers as well as giving you faster Surf speeds with Wailmer, Kyogre, and Sharpedo if you just wanna say fuck it, so I have absolutely no idea why people complain about that in particular in ORAS
>>
>>31604968
explain.
>>
>>31604968
It was ok but better off on GBA. I find it to be unsuitably blocky for the 3DS games. Also I wish that 75% of the land wasn't a solid mess of trees.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.