[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch so similar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Artwork.png (815KB, 1100x685px) Image search: [Google]
Artwork.png
815KB, 1100x685px
>>
>>31570207
Same reason it and digimon are. They're products made to sell more products.
>>
>>31570214
i didn't say Digimon, i said YOKAIWATCH
Pokémon and Digimon are not even similar you fuck
>>
>>31570207
They aren't that similar. Their similarities end at "adventure games involving the catching of creatures."

The specifics are different in many ways, but that doesn't stop many people from continuing to falsely claim that YW is some sort of "Pokemon killer," when that was never actually the case because the franchises really aren't THAT similar.

It's all a moot point now anyway now that the YW craze has subsided. Sales of YW merch are declining, though the franchise is in no danger of being canceled right now. We can say, however, that the "YW is killing Pokemon" meme is dead, and it should never have been alive.
>>
>>31570207
They're both animated by OLM and sponsored by Nintendo, to some extent.

>>31570242
The YW still usually gets higher ratings than Pokemon in Japan, although by much smaller margins than it used to.
>>
>>31570238
They're basically all the same dude. You didn't say Digimon, but if you're at least legal to post here, you'll remember people saying this same shot back when Digimon and Pokemon were both popular. Yokai is no different.
>>
File: 1473054091391.png (78KB, 500x264px) Image search: [Google]
1473054091391.png
78KB, 500x264px
>>31570207
Why do you want to be a Korean fucboi so bad for? That's the real question.
>>
>>31570263
Piss off, Mami. TV ratings are of less importance than you think, and if you don't believe me, go ask Adamant yourself.

Besides, what you're saying isn't even true anymore. YW's ratings have plummeted and are now below Pokemon's, which have held much steadier. Even then, ratings and top 10 placement are a poor way to measure the quality of a show or whether it's in danger of cancellation, which is why I ignore them altogether.

Also turn your fucking trip off already you stupid fuck.
>>
>>31570263
fuck off dumb tripshit
>>
>>31570263
>muh ratings meme
>>
>>31570263
>RATINGS XDDD ::D:D:D:D:^)D::D::D:D:D:D:D
>OH LOOK AT MY TRIPCODE :^^)))) :_:-DDD
Just fuck off already
>>
>>31570306
Two sets of eyes emojis are my thing you fuck. >::Y
>>
>>31570263
That was like 2 years ago

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-26/japan-animation-tv-ranking-january-16-22/.111510
>>
>>31570339
Can someone explain why certain people warn not to read much into the ratings?
>>
>>31570242
>We can say, however, that the "YW is killing Pokemon" meme is dead, and it should never have been alive.
what started that shit anyway?
>>
>>31570478
Part of it was the media overhyping the YW craze by throwing in that "Pokemon killer" angle because it made for a juicy story/narrative.
>>
File: 20150922082823.png (880KB, 650x478px) Image search: [Google]
20150922082823.png
880KB, 650x478px
>>31570207
If they're similar, how come I don't have the Pokeverse equivalent to Sailor Piers?
>>
>>31570416
In short:
1) The ratings of a given episode has far more to do with what aired on other channels and what other events were going on at the same time than they have to do with the content of that specific episode, since they represent the amount of viewers, not the opinion of the viewers on the episode

and 2) Ratings for all TV shows have been steadily going down because of the growing ability to stream shows and to record shows to watch at a later point. You can't compare the ratings of a show today with the ratings that show got 7 years ago and make the connection that people are losing interest or that the show changed for the worse and drove people away. The shows get "worse ratings" because more and more people don't bother watching TV shows live.

Also, nothing that makes it onto those top 10 lists are getting bad ratings. It's a list of the top 10 most watched show in that category, the fact that they make it on the list in the first place means they get great ratings. The stuff that gets bad ratings has never been anywhere near the list.
>>
>>31570517
This is useful, thanks. So can someone tell me the opposite: what ARE they useful for, if anything?
>>
>>31570478
The west and their weird idea that there can only be one franchise focusing on "broad concept x", in this case monster collecting.

Also general unfamiliarity with Level 5 franchises and how Level 5 operates in general, as well as their popularity in Japan.

Inazuma Eleven was huge as fuck as well, but nobody called that a potential Pokemon killer, because it was about soccer and not monsters.
>>
>>31570530
If a new series makes it onto the list (like Yokai Watch, Hunter X Hunter, Space Brothers etc) you know it's a hit. Yokai Watch (and Naruto before that) plunging down the list really hard can potentially be argued as dropping interest, but there are far better ways to look into that.

Beyond that, the list is so dominated by the same dozen eternal-runners it looks more or less the same every week and you can't really get much out of it.
>>
>>31570578
Thanks m8

Are you that Adamant guy someone was mentioning?
>>
>>31570585
Nope. But this isn't rocket science, and I've never seen anyone but the Pokemon community have trouble understanding how these lists works.

Half of it just seems to be people trying to find a way to "prove" that the anime is much worse now than it was x number of years ago and jumping onto "look, it got ratings in the 15s back in 2005 and now it gets ratings in the 3s, so they clearly made an error writing out Misty/May/Brock/whoever and need to write them back in to make the ratings rise" as an argument.

Fans of Japanese TV dramas tend to use the lists to see which of the dozen new series that premiere at the same time that season is actually getting viewers, which is handy enough, but the anime top 10 lists aren't of much use to anyone. It's just the same shows in the same relative positions year after year.
>>
>>31570242
>though the franchise is in no danger of being canceled
Actually, the standard Level-5 formula of "introduce franchise, milk it dry until people are completely sick of it, then introduce your next franchise" applies here. Level-5 has stated many times that Yokai Watch isn't going to be around much longer and that Snack World is going to be the new big thing they're going to focus on.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.