[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 17

File: heg.jpg (7KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
heg.jpg
7KB, 250x150px
Notable romhacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx

Making a romhack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP
Gen 4-6 hack tools: http://pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR

RMXP/Essentials
Engine: http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD (embed)
Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
http://imgur.com/a/CiudS (WIP Gen 5 tiles)

Places to share fangames:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

Topic of the thread:
Maps.
Build Maps.
Share Maps.
Rate Maps.
Discuss Maps.

NOT THE INJECTION GENERAL.
WE DO NOT INJECT.
IF YOU ASK, YOU CAN GO INJECT YOURSELF.
>>
File: wonsan_nk_1.png (55KB, 768x608px) Image search: [Google]
wonsan_nk_1.png
55KB, 768x608px
Reposting from the previous thread.

I'm mapping a region based on North Korea. This is a port city, based on the city of Wonsan. The second town/city in the region; GSC equivalent is Cherrygrove.

Suggestions desired.
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/file/i629nt26mdrybo2/Gen+4+icons.rar

Here's a Gen 4 Icon resource.
They're correctly formatted for PGE and G3HS (idk why you would use G3HS).
>>
Ayyyyyy
>>
File: wonsan_nk_2.jpg (2MB, 1824x2810px) Image search: [Google]
wonsan_nk_2.jpg
2MB, 1824x2810px
>>31520066
IRL references.
>>
>>31520066
checked
>>
File: Scrapyard.png (146KB, 782x606px) Image search: [Google]
Scrapyard.png
146KB, 782x606px
From Sage
>>
File: Andante_2016.png (3MB, 1548x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Andante_2016.png
3MB, 1548x1200px
>>
bump
post more maps faggots
>>
some quality maps in the last thread and even discussion of function vs form. post more example maps of both pls. not sage, you can just go to their wiki and view those.
>>
I'm pretty sure when I end watching Atomic Reactor's tutorials that the hardest part in making this won't be story or spriting, but rather mapping.
>>
How do I inject?
>>
>>31520757
Go to the homebrew thread
>>
Hey Max did you ever find out how to implemrnt blizzard overworld conditions?
>>
File: 1472104698920.webm (3MB, 642x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472104698920.webm
3MB, 642x480px
>>31521711
Like strong wind and such?
>>
>>31522629
literally my mom's static covering my screen
>>
Was wondering if I could get some suggestions/advice for this game I'm making. It's going to be a play on how linear pokemon games are. The whole region is just going to be a straight line.
I was thinking of making it transition into different environments as you progress forward (like plains>forest>desert>etc.).
I've also been playing with the idea of an evil team that wants to travel the opposite direction or something.

This is my first rpg maker game, so I would really appreciate any kind of suggestion for how to make the game more enjoyable.

also if anyone has any gud name ideas I could steal :^)
>>
>>31524232
Pokémon Black and White
>>
>>31524232
how about an evil team that forces people to go forward, and tries to stop people from staying in place
>>
Is this the Injection General?
>>
>>31520066
It looks pretty much like a gen2 city, I'm not sure what you could improve.
It just feels like there are really not a lot of building you can go into, even for gen2. That may not be a bad thing.
>>
>>31524157
That's stock
I'm more talking about the movement speed in multiple directions. It's hard to tell because the recorder was bad
>>
>>31525723
How long does it take for you to make a town?
>>
>>31525732
That was just a test map, so it took less than an hour most likely.
I'd sketch out my maps before implementing.
>>
>>31525768
So basically first you draw it out in paper and stuff before attempting to make it in the rpgmaker?
>>
File: pokemon-art-14.jpg (283KB, 1200x851px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-art-14.jpg
283KB, 1200x851px
>>31525883
Yeah, taking note of how the player would get from place to place. I'd even start with an addition realistic drawing of how I want it to look.
Something like pic related
>>
File: Screenshot354636.png (67KB, 1059x599px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot354636.png
67KB, 1059x599px
>>31520557
Need feedback mostly on the color-scheme. Inspiration is mostly animes like Clannad and Makoto Shinkai's work. It's supposed to be a little over the top at points.
>>
In my hack I'm making all trainer/gym/elite4-battles doubblebattles. The only part I find difficult is picking starters, as one would need two of them. Also the rival needs two.

Does anyone have any clever ideas as to how many pokemon should be available to schoose from, and what kind of pokemon they should be?
>>
Spice work on gaia
>>
>>31526065
If you start at level 25 or so why not Passimian and Oranguru
>>
>>31526102
I still want them to be able to evolve, and to give the player soem freedom of choice. That said, the rival or some other important trainer could definetly use that as a nice pair, thanks anon
>>
>>31526170
I know this sounds vanilla as hell but

Eevee pair.

The amount of choice more than quintuples compared to Gale of Darkness. You can have over 40 different pairs of starter strategies if you count leaving one or both of the Eevee unevolved.
>>
>>31526263
Yeah I've also thought about this, kind of turned of by the fact that it is pretty vanilla but It's probably one of the better options to be honest.

Maybe the starters should be rather underwhelming to force the player to be smart with what they catch.

Also, starting with two eevee's might suck if you're playing with the Nuzlocke-rules activated.
>>
>>31526002
Holy shit, that's beyond me
>>
>>31526473
Sorry, I meant to clarify that you don't have to go into that amount of detail.
Just sketching it and setting all buildings and landmarks in positions as you'd see it in real life is enough.
>>
>>31526002
>they actually hid an ORAS ad in the concept art
It's the little things
>>
>>31526375
Well it's kinda hard to think of something that isn't standalone, offers lots of choice, isn't vanilla and isn't super good.

I kind of thought of a Nosepass vs Magnemite thing for one of the mons for starter and rival but I don't know if that would work out too well because that's just me wanting Nosepass there.
>>
>>31526946
Decided to go for the Eevees for now atleast. Nosepass is based so I'll definetly work it in to the story
>>
>>31526065
I'm thinking about changing the Eevee-evolution-methods to be affected by their stats in some way so that they're all equally easy to get, what do you think of that? I don't want to spam evolutionairy methods early on, but I still want the player to bea ble to evolve their starter Eevee's decently early on.
>>
>>31527148
Just make all of them gotten via evolutionary stone and have a town that sells them all. Espeon evolves with a Sun Stones, Umbreon with Moon Stone, Leafeon with Leaf Stone, Glaceon with Ice Stone since that's a thing now with Gen VII, and Sylveon with Shiny Stone.
>>
>you will never be good enough to add pseudo-Amie/Refresh intoa hack
>you will never make opponents use Amie/Refresh effects
>>
>>31525732
Mapping a town isn't too long.
It's populating it that takes a while.
>>
>>31527173
I don't know why this isn't already a thing in official games tbqh.
>>
>>31528397
It's because Game Freak wants to try and justify why the evolution methods didn't work in earlier Gens, i.e. you should have been able to get a Leafeon in Gen 1 if it evolved via Leaf Stone. I don't really care about it, but it's their reasoning.
>>
I want to get started using Pokecrystal, but I have never hacked before, and there are very few resources. What should I do? Should I be realistic and just use tools to do everything for me? I'd rather not, but it is really hard to be self-taught with so few resources.

Any guides/starter tutorials? I know, I know, I do want a little spoonfeeding. We all start somewhere.
>>
>>31530874
I have to say I'm trying simple stuff like creating a map/connecting it etc by following a Pokecomm guide, but it doesn't get into explaining much further.
>>
File: map generic.png (69KB, 640x624px) Image search: [Google]
map generic.png
69KB, 640x624px
I wasn't gonna use this map for anything, but does anyone like this exercise map I made months ago?

Just wanna fine tune my maps again
>>
Are there any negative consequences for bringing my Hoenn bros to Alola with PKSM so far?
>>
>>31530874
>>31530897
It's the only way to do it, and you'll pick it up pretty quickly.
>>
>>31531507
Cliffs are a little lackluster and it's pretty bland in it's entirity. but I like the shape of the canyons. A good canyon is a great thing in Pokemon-games. The bridge looks a little off, probably shouldn't be placed so "low" if you get what I mean.
>>
>>31531586
Yes. Their stats will be halved for some reason. Totally destroys them for competitive use.
>>
File: em route 1.png (96KB, 576x816px) Image search: [Google]
em route 1.png
96KB, 576x816px
>>31531615
Yeah I take one look at this and the cliffs aren't my finest work there.

Here's one I'm a little self conscious about since I know there are people here that don't like the "artsy"-ish maps.
>>
>>31531507
The bridge is too low down. The player is taller than one tile, so walk-under bridges should always be at least 2 tiles above ground. Aside from that, it's a pretty good comfy map.
>>
>>31530874
>Should I be realistic and just use tools to do everything for me?
Don't do it man, you'd be making it a million times harder on yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what advice I could give. I never hacked traditionally and started off with the disassembly, and I figured things out just by poking around and seeing where everything was.

Doing a quick search I found this starter guide, it may help you.
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=378692
>>
Is it bad to just steal sprites off of deviantart or something? I'm not an artist and I just don't want red/leaf to be my player characters.
>>
>>31531723
Yes, it's bad. You could probably get away with it but you shouldn't do it, at least ask the person who made the sprite.
>>
>>31530874
>>31531708
Also to add to this, you can always check the #pret IRC and ask questions there, they're always happy to assist newbies. There's a link to it in pokecrystal's INSTALL.md file.
>>
>>31531681
I like this one A LOT better
>>
>>31531723
At least ask whoever made it if you can use it. Most will accept anyway.
And if they don't use it anyway.
>>
Anyone else have really mixed feelings on Vega? I love the fakemon, the music and the region, it all feels very good and authentic, but the insane level variance makes for a super unpleasant experience. Trainers should not be having level 8-10 pokemon right before a gym with level 21-24 Pokemon, it makes for a very tedious and grindy experience, especially if you're using shitmon.
>>
>>31531681
It actually feels very emerald, I like it a lot. Makes me nostalgic just looking at it.
>>
>>31524232
Sounds pretty one-dimensional to me
>>
>>31533246
The overall rule is that each fangame will have some sort of bad point to balance it out.

Reborn - Edgyness
Rejuvenation - lacks originality in the whole first half of the game
Insurgence - terrible dialogue
Uranium - bad art (among others).
Prism (haven't played yet, so I can't judge, but I bet my Ace Trainer lewds there is something the game lacks).

You see, most of the times there really is somewhere a barrier will appear in your way of some sorts that will force some tedious grinding. That's why most people use cheat engines to speed up the game.
>>
>>31522629
Yeah, I just wish the snow was thicker as it blows across the screen. Maybe with a bluish white filter that obscures vision.
Also, I know Kalos has I think the power station in the desert that has strong winds that prevent you/greatly hinder you from moving in certain directions.
Also, also if there was some deep snow tiles that function like the swamp tiles from I think Sinnoh?
Contexually, it's all for this winter legendary based on the White Walkers from Game of thrones. It causes this "Deep Freeze" over the entire region until it is captured.
>>
>>31533433
There are plenty of possibilities for snow animations.
I just used the stock version, because the main edit was strong wind.
>>
Best X/Y romhack?
>>
>>31531681
May just be my bias, but I love this map even if it has gen 3 tiles (which I hate).
Canyon/mountain maps make make my balls tingle.
>>
>>31533469
I'll go back and look at the webm. I couldn't really tell if strong wind was present.
>>
>>31533630
It's most likely due to the frame rate of the video.
It's much more noticeable in game
>>
>>31520066
that is a nice town so neat and tidy looking.
>>
>>31525419
yes
>>
>>31533349
What about the up and coming ones like sage, phoenix rising and ethereal gates?

That they're not out yet?
>>
>>31534429
Haven't played them yet/no knowledge regarding them.
>>
>>31525419
>>31533987
Fuck you, cunts.
This is not the goddamn injection general.
Oh big fucking surprise CHEATERS can't read.
>>
Is there a NDS emulator that works on O3DS yet? I want to play D/P on it without the cart.
>>
>>31535134
yes but it sucks shit, also not an emulator. Just get a flashcard they cost like $10
>>
>>31534751
I'll have a shiny Vacuum Wave Riolu Lonely nature with 30 IVs in Attack
>>
>>31535513
Then start breeding for it
>>
File: 1484034329882.jpg (171KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
1484034329882.jpg
171KB, 800x605px
>>31535513
>>31534751
>>31525419
>>31533987
Glad you remembered
>>
I have no coding or programming background what should i learn if i want to use pokecrystal?
>>
>>31531681
This is actually pretty great anon!
>>
>>31537109
python is a good beggingers programming lang, and im pretty sure some pokecrystal stuff uses it
>>
>>31537109
Nothing. You don't need to know anything.
>>
Not >>31537109 but I'm new to pokecrystal too. Is there any decent tutorials out there for it? I understand the really basic stuff (editing stats, etc) but have no idea where to start otherwise.
>>
>>31526013
Pink trees are too out of place. You need to make them darker. Otherwise, nice.
>>
>>31534429
Sage and Ethereal Gates probably won't be done until around 2026-2029 if we go by their current development speed. Good games made by nit-picky perfectionists take a long time to finish.

Phoenix Rising will probably be done sooner, but it's vanilla as hell (no fakemon, typical edgy essentials plot, etc). The map design looks great though.
>>
No one would blame me if I barely have custom trainer art right?
>>
>>31538564
>phoenix rising releasing before anything
Phoenix Rising has been in development way longer with less to show for it. There's been demos promised in 2012 and 2016. It'll get "taken down" by Nintendo before it ever releases.
>>
What about a Pokemon Fire Red rom-hack with 1-7 gen pokemon with mega and z-moves. All the gym leaders uses 4 pokemon but keep their signature pokemon and use z-moves. With the fifth gym they would use mega and when you defeat a gym leader you recieve a z-crystal
>>
>>31538480
Yeah I've gotten that a lot, might see to them
>>
>>31539008
Will*
>>
Can anybody recommend me a romhack or RMXP game to get started

I opened my old laptop yesterday and found a old fanmade unfinished game and now I want to get back into it
>>
>>31539281
Light Platinum is fucking great.
>>
>>31539291
I forgot to mention I prefer older gens but it's just a preference, I'll take your advice
>>
>>31539301
It's a ruby rom hack, so you're good.
Also try Vega, but holy shit it's not afraid to rape your shit.
Glazed is good, if not a hit lame at times.
Flora Sky is fun.
Prism is a crystal hack. Has a ton of potential but it's archaic as fuck sometimes.
>>
>>31539311
All of these are fully completed btw. I never bother with one's that aren't completely finished.
>>
>>31539311
Ah, judging from the name I thought it was a gen4 hack

I think I played glazed some time ago but it was the only worthwhile one I ever found

Anyway, Light Platinum comes first, and I'll write down the others you've quoted. Thanks!
>>
File: 1484117242717.jpg (79KB, 525x796px) Image search: [Google]
1484117242717.jpg
79KB, 525x796px
>>31539324
Not a problem. I fucking love rom hacks. Unfortunately 90 percent of them never get completed, and lots that are, fucking suck.
Light Platinum is my favorite by far.
>>
>>31539281
I recommend Reborn, because while it's edgy, it has a nice challenge to it. While it's incomplete, it's pretty fucking long
>>
>>31539291
>Lose to the FIRST trainer aside from the Grunt at the beginning

well that was humiliating

I just grinded 1 more level to unlock Ember and it was ok

shame on me
>>
>>31539442
Don't worry, it's all pretty nice from then on out with ember.
>>
faggots
>>
>>31533349
>Prism (haven't played yet, so I can't judge, but I bet my Ace Trainer lewds there is something the game lacks).
It's literally unfinished due to the C&D, sidequests are missing, some Pokémon are unavailable, and even with the fanmade bugfix patch you pretty much have to play with debug mode enabled in case you run into a game-breaking glitch. It's sad because Prism is probably the best hack I've ever played, it's just not polished and we'll never receive the polished version because they're legally not allowed to work on it.
>>
>>31537109
>>31537957
I have no coding background and don't think you need any. Everything is written in Z80 assembly, but most things already in the game are coded with macros so you hardly ever encounter actually needing Z80 unless you want to do some editing to the engines themselves or code entirely new features.

If you do want that, though, this is a guide I had recommended to me a couple years ago for Z80.
http://z80-heaven.wikidot.com/system:tutorials

There's also >>31531708 as a basic starter guide for pokecrystal, but you may have already read that.

>>31533559
There's only one decent XY hack to my knowledge, and that's Eternal X/Wilting Y.
>>
File: The Rock is Home.png (82KB, 755x568px) Image search: [Google]
The Rock is Home.png
82KB, 755x568px
The lagoon feels much more at home here than in the shadow of Mt. Moon. As the Power Plant is closer to Cerulean, I've settled on switching the gyms between the two.
The yellow brick path in the center is going to be a sort of small free market (berries, held items, non-standard balls, friendship increasing items, etc.)
Note the trucks behind the Mart; in a hack you wouldn't normally be able to get to the truck without already having a cut-knowing mon and putting off the Anne until you had Surf. No Mew behind it, probably the Lava Cookie or something.
I feel the trucks help flesh out Vermillion as an import/export town given its proximity to Saffron and Celadon.
Mr. Pokemon and the Fishing Guru remain.
I've made an effort to make the sandy shore and the rocky shore not clash together by transitioning from the pier.
Fun world-building trivia: Vermillion Bay is a national Corsola sanctuary.
>>
>>31540287
I'm getting a bit sick of the lagoon
>>
>>31540287
>>31540907
This. No matter where it is, it's an eyesore.
>>
>>31541243
I think the problem is that it's sort of just dropped into the map.
If it was set in the side of a mountain and less circular, I think it'd fit.
Also not that it won't be fully visible by the player In-game
>>
>>31540287
Disgusting. You killed the map. Seriously, just put it as an exit at the Nigglet's tunnel or something. If it needs to be in the sea, then make it require surf/an NPC to warp you. It's really fucking disgusting.
>>
>>31540907
>>31541243
>>31542363
>>31542666
... Nah, I like it! It was just a mistake to spam my increasingly desperate attempts in the board. Then again, Max is right - it won't be fully visible in game. It's one of those things that looks good on paper and then becomes a trainwreck in implementation.
>>
>>31543190
You're making great progress, and I'm really excited to see what you come up with. In the end, it's your project, and you should do what you want. Good luck!
>>
Can I edit my Yellow VC save file?
>>
File: diglett cave.png (23KB, 349x325px) Image search: [Google]
diglett cave.png
23KB, 349x325px
>>31542666
>Seriously, just put it as an exit at the Nigglet's tunnel or something.
>Nigglet's tunnel
You need Jesus, anon.
>>
>>31544338
No reason you shouldn't be able to. I don't know how to extract 3DS VC saves but I'm sure there's a tutorial out there.
>>
>>31540287
If you extended the shoreline so that it isn't right on the city, then it could work. Think the cave next to Dewford in Hoenn.
>>
File: Box%20Arts_zps5umk0rqi[1].png (392KB, 1024x443px) Image search: [Google]
Box%20Arts_zps5umk0rqi[1].png
392KB, 1024x443px
Any opinions on these? Got interested since someone made a pair of fangames
>>
>>31545615
Those box Legendary designs look shit, but I know nothing about the game otherwise.
>>
>>31545615
>left one is just a person with a lizard head and wings
>>
File: incresinglynervousman.png (591KB, 611x625px) Image search: [Google]
incresinglynervousman.png
591KB, 611x625px
>>31520066
Cave hidden in the top right corner, and an island with a decent tm/held item and some trees

Anyone know any recently finished or overall good hacks besides the mainstream glazed, liquid crystal, light platinum?

Also, I really like the edit that has the grades besides each stat, was wondering if someone could create a program that applies that to hacks
>>
>>31545615
Can't tell anything for sure without playing it, but it looks like it might be alright. I'm not a huge fan of the visual design, and the fakemon designs are kinda crap. Could still be alright, though.
The name puts me off the most, though, since there was a shit romhack called Order and Chaos.
>>
enyone know where i can get .CIA files with hacked 3DS games like neo pokemon X/Y?
>>
todokete
Setsunasa ni wa
namae wo tsukeyou ka "Snow halation"
>>
>>31545399
Ooh let me bounce off that idea
Does the frlg tiles have that light colored marshy water from rse that you can walk on?
Position the lagoon off the coast to the south west, but keep it accessible on foot by using that light water tile.
Then you could make it even bigger if you wanted.
>>
>>31546362
The IV9 chord on the end is a nice touch.
>>
>>31545905
Check 3DSISO, they probably have some uploaded if the hack's popular. Also, Neo XY is terrible, play Eternal X/Wilting Y if you want an XY hack, unless you're interested in Neo XY specifically because it's shit.
>>
>>31546793
i have it because si the only one who is a complet .CIA file so i dont need to use all the other retarded programs to modify an existen normal copy of pokemon
>>
>>31546362
What the fuck
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.