[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did power creep started in Pokemon? I say gen 4. With the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: downloadfile-1.png (48KB, 220x226px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-1.png
48KB, 220x226px
When did power creep started in Pokemon? I say gen 4. With the appearence of pic related, evolutions to Pokemon that were already solid as fuck and 10+ legendaries, the Pokemon from previous generations became pretty much obsolete. GF's been trying to unsuccessfully balance this bitch since then
>>
>>31517576
Yeah. Garchomp was a mistake, but Ultra Beasts are unfrogivable
>>
>rhydon
>yanma
>electabuzz
>magmar
>magneton
>lickitung
>tangela
>togetic
>aipom
>murkrow
>misdreavus
>sneasel
>gligar
>piloswine
>nosepass
>roselia
>solid as fuck
What did he mean by this?
>>
Gen 5
>>
File: unfrogivable.gif (984KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
unfrogivable.gif
984KB, 320x239px
>>31517609
shit i can't type.
>>
You know what is hilarious? Ice-types are "supposed" to be that one type that can get rid of Dragons while not being Dragon themselves and they still get destroyed because the Ice-type is just so weak to common coverage movies. Water types did a better job of removing Dragons before Fairy-type was a thing. I honestly only think Dragons were broken until Gen 6 because the Ice-type was so shit in comparison.
>>
>>31517636
An entire new type was created just to deal with Garchomp. How is that not a power creep?
>>
>>31517627
>>31517646
These. I love Gen 5 but shit switching in on Hydreigon in Gen 5 was a 50/50 guessing game. I will say though that Gen 5 had an interesting way of balancing some of the stronger mon's by giving them shit movepools
>>
>>31517576
It started in Gen 4, then it got progressively worse because Game Freak has no fucking idea what they're doing.
>>
>>31517774
They know what they're doing, they just don't care and want to play favourites.
>>
>>31517626
Rhydon, Electabuzz, Magmar, Misdreavous and Togetic were all viable in gen 3. They were in UU/BL with options to compete in OU. They didn't need such drastic buff
>>
>>31517576
It started slowly in gen 4, got slightly worse in gen 5, got WAY worse in gen 6, and i don't even know what im looking at with gen 7

As far as the big pokemon like box legends, there was no serious power creep until gen 6
>>
File: downloadfile-2.png (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-2.png
48KB, 250x250px
>>31517576
There's days when I wish than Gen 4 onwards didn't happen and instead we got a balanced Pokemon game with designs that didn't look like pic related for the past 10 years
>>
>>31517813
you are retarded
>>
>>31517609
whats bad about the UBs? They are good but are not anything groundbreaking.
>>
>>31517646
They could have avoided fairies all together by changing ice to fit the niche giving them more resistances
>>
>>31517646
Dragon as a type isn't overpowered.

But since Dragonite, Salamence and the Latwins were their main representatives up to gen 3, they severely outclassed other Pokémon by sheer BST alone.

Things like Flygon, Altaria and even Kingdra back then were just ok.
Then Garchomp, Draco Meteor and a buffed Outrage happened.
Gen V threw even more salt to the wound with Hydreigon.
>lel 98 base speed
GF gave Hydreigon that speed because otherwise it could outclass almost everything by its bulk and power.
92/90/90 Bulk is way too good for a fast offensive Pokémon that have coverage for almost all its needs.
>>
The thing about gen4 is the split and move overhaul in general changed a ton about the game but it wasn't necessarily power-crept yet, sure Garchomp was one tier above the rest but you can argue the same about gen 2 Snorlax or gen 3 Tyranitar. Gen 5 however added a ton of incredibly viable legendary mons that had a ton of BST and powerful moves. Hidden abilities warped the meta to work around Pokemon that synergized well with weather and weeding out a lot of mons that didn't as well as making many more powerful mons even more powerful.
Gen6 however made it even worse with the inclusion of megas who were essentially equal to pseudos in terms of stats as well as some ridiculous abilities that centralized the game way too much around them.
Gen 7 is following the tradition gen 6 started. They tried holding back on making their normal mons as powerful as the Talonflames, Greninjas, Klefkis and Aegislashes of the past gen but the bar was already set too high by the previous megas and legendaries so now we have Tapus and UBs running free.
>>
>>31518542
This. 4 is not as bad as OP is trying to sell it. Gen 5 is where the cancer's at
>>
>>31518022
Dragonite wasn't even good until gen 5 (Agility Wrap is a meme)

Salamence strongest physical STAB in gen 3 was Hidden fucking Power Flying at 70 BP

Latis and Rayquaza were really the only broken pre-gen 4 Dragons but since they were legendaries there wasn't much controversy surrounding their bans.
>>
>>31519492
Yet with those shortcomings both Salamence and Dragonite were useful without being broken.

Bloated stats with high powered STAB and just a single type resisting it make the thing complicated, but if most dragons lacked the coverage they wouldn't be that threatening back then.

Again, Dragon is a meh type with Ok resists, but filled with Pokémon with bloated BST.
Fairy is an overpowered type that made shitmons into usable ones.
Even Granbull became usable as a physical tank when back then was a shittier Ursaring in every sense.
>>
>>31518542
>>31519265
But gen 4 is where the biggest offense creep happened. The introduction of Close Combat alone invalidated like 90% of all defensive core used until that point.
>>
>>31517576
>When did power creep started in Pokemon
Gen 2. Any other answer is wrong.
>>
>>31519663
Gen 2 was much slower than gen 1 though. So was gen 3 for that matter.
>>
>>31519492
Basically this. The one thing that pushed Dragons into OP territory was Outrage getting buffed and Draco Meteor

Now imagine Garchomp was released on gen 3 and laugh at how mediocre it is compared to future gens.
>>31519622
That's not really power creep, that's just a meta shift. Power Creep implies incredibly viable older mons became nearly obsolete because newcomers were downright better at it.
>>
>>31519622
>But gen 4 is where the biggest offense creep happened
It's more that it balanced out the insane amount of defense creep gen 2 added.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.