[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you want Gyms back?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 150px-Gym_Symbol.png (13KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
150px-Gym_Symbol.png
13KB, 150x150px
Do you want Gyms back?
>>
>>31497687
No
>>
i don't think they wont be back

the island challenge thing opened up lots of possibilities

each new region could have their own things

like, in this hawaii-based region there's captains and kahunas

some other region out there could put new different twists to it and the leaders are called "shaman" or something else more appropriate for the theme they're going for
>>
>>31497687
Yes
>>
Mmmm....Nope. Give me more totem suffering
>>
File: 1374008301633.jpg (270KB, 1173x1389px) Image search: [Google]
1374008301633.jpg
270KB, 1173x1389px
>>31497710
Mmmm...
But which totem is worth suffering for?
>>
>>31497687
Yes and no I guess.

If you incorporated elements of both Gyms and Trials you'd get something beautiful.
>>
Gyms are nice and all, trials put a fresh new spin into 'em and gave us extremely challenging totem battles. I'm curious for what the next games will bring.

I do miss puzzles, though. This game has a conspicuous lack of 'em in caves and stuff.
>>
Trials are pretty much the same thing but slightly less monotonous.

That said, Trials totally seem like one of those new features we won't see again (or anything like it) so Gyms will probably be back. So back to grinding on random gym trainers before you duel the leader I guess.
>>
>>31497715
>what is the Orange Isles and League
>>
>>31497714
Mimikyu. I had a mono ghost team when I fought It. Hurt so good.
>>
>>31497714
>Totem battle vs garchomp
>summons hippodwon with sand stream to abuse sand veil

It sounds fun
>>
Trials were a cute 20th anniversary change of pace, but yeah, I'd rather have gyms and stuff back going forward.
>>
File: Klinklang-WAFF.jpg (18KB, 431x258px) Image search: [Google]
Klinklang-WAFF.jpg
18KB, 431x258px
>>31497706
Good vives from you.
>>
>>31497727
I wish gyms worked like EV training centers. Either that, or teaching new players how to overcome certain strategies.
>>
>>31497687
If they came back, I'd want them to have themes other than types.
>>
No, because IMO totem pokemon battles is just more interesting.

You could easily get pass gyms by bringing something that's the type the gym's type is weak to.

You can't do that with the totems though, since most of the time, the pokemons they summon can cover that weakness.

They also display some cool strategies, such as Lurantis using Sunny Day to spam Solar Blade.

I do think the trials that lead up to them needs improvements, though.
>>
>>31497687
Yes please. Trials and Totems were a joke.
>>
>>31497687
I want gym leaders, elite 4 and champion who use totem or something who boost the stats
and not a gym per type but a gym per stat
>>
Yes. Types are one of the fundamental game mechanics and should be tied to progression and region.

>>31497857
Totems are fun, but Pokémon battles aren't made to be centered around one glasscannon. I beat every totem with poison and debuffs.
>>
>>31497948
Really? I beat every totem by smacking it in the face once or twice.
>>
they will be back almost guaranteed
>>
Come Gen 8, I would love to see gyms go from being focused on type and instead focus on each of the regions and Pokemon from said-regions.

IE, Kanto gym with Kanto mons, Johto gym with Johto mons, etc.

They could then implement better, unique strategies for team dynamics, just like the totem Pokemon and its allies do.
>>
>>31497687
Yes. Trials were a worse replacement.
>>
Yes. Miss the battling the trainers leading up to the gym leader as much as the leader. Feel trials replace the gym members with just grinding wild pokemon, and an annoying psuedo legendry fight.
>>
>>31497687
Yes, trials were disappointing.
>>
>>31497857
>the pokemons they summon can cover that weakness.
Well trainers mons now have coverage moves, so it's already a good step.
>They also display some cool strategies, such as Lurantis using Sunny Day to spam Solar Blade.
Trainers could also do that, it has nothing to do with the battle being a trial one.

Honestly I'm fine with the gyms. The trials were a good idea but didn't offered a lot of challenge when they could have done way more things with the concept.
>>
>>31498055
>IE, Kanto gym with Kanto mons, Johto gym with Johto mons, etc.
That's... already what they do?
Johto mons != gen 2 mons. Any mon found in Johto is a Johto mon, whatever its gen is.
>>
>>31497687
No. The only thing I liked about gyms was the scale of some of them, like Wulfric's gym.
>>
>>31497687

Anything that tests your strength/skill before letting you proceed to the next area is fine by me no matter what it is.

So long as it's obvious that it is in fact something that is meant to be a challenge
>>
The only thing I hate about trials is they're all just shitty minigames.

I'd like gyms but without postgsme rematches, there's no difference.
>>
>>31497735
It's your fault for being an autistic faggot
>>
>>31497687
Totems>Gym leaders

Gyms>Trials

It's not like GF cared enough to create the last trial anyways so it's not likely they'll stay
>>
I didn't like trials. They were basically you walking around or doing a puzzle that has no difficulty, beating 2-4 Pokemon (usually of the same line) and then facing a Totem. The Totems were good, but that's it. They got as stale as Gyms fairly quickly.

Gyms were stale because the Gym Leaders were ass, and the puzzles sucked. But at least they provided more of a challenge overall, and BW/BW2 had great Gym Leaders.
>>
Gyms were getting boring and unmemorable after Gen 4. The designs of the gyms were interesting, but they were isolated challenges that didn't work with the surrounding environment.

While I do miss the trainer battles in the gym, the Totem battles were more interesting than any individual gym leader.

Basically, I think gyms should be improved to be more interactive if they're being brought back in the next gen
>>
File: 1480377149606.png (94KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1480377149606.png
94KB, 600x525px
>>31497710
>tfw gen 8 has full-on boss battles with pokemon that have massive amounts of hp and totem strats
>>
>>31499080
they became boring after gen 1 desu. they're just the same thing, a building with a strong trainer inside that gives 2 lines of dialogue. they didn't change that until gen 5.

take the nostalgiagoggles off friend
>>
File: megucasuffering.jpg (30KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
megucasuffering.jpg
30KB, 600x630px
>>31497710
>>31497714
>>
>>31497735
>full ghost team
>not using curse to cheese every totem
what
>>
I'm replaying X/Y right now and when you're going through the Gym puzzles, you can tell they tried to go all out with the 3D element of what you are doing. You can't call the Gyms "uncreative."

It's just that it got to a point where there've been enough Gyms. There's only so much left to do with the idea of them.

Not opposed to their return, I do actually expect them to, but not clamoring for it, either.
>>
>>31499445
Should mention I'd rather see something like what Colosseum and XD did where the Cipher Admins. effectively acted as stand-ins for Gym Leaders as they function similarly, but it's in not so contrived a manner as getting through the puzzle of a giant room and battling for the sake of it to get 8 badges.
>>
Try playing the game with pre-bred pokemon starting at lvl 1 with good ivs and nature. Sun and moon was a joke all the other games still have difficulty
>>
>>31497706
>Gen 8
>Gyms are replaced with nomads
>Spend hours looking for the first one
>finally find him
>his mons are 5 levels above mine
>get destroyed
>whites out
>searches for him again
>find him after another hour of searching
>it's a different nomad
>his mons are 5 levels below mine
>>
>>31499464
Please use Gale of Darkness or G.o.D. for short, (/x/ /d/) wont do you any good. G D pal.
>>
Wouldn't mind either way unless they take gyms out of a remake. That would be bullshit.
>>
>>31497767
This.
Gamefreak owns the rights to all the Pokémon used in teams in the vcg and in smogon tiers; you'd think it would be simple, feasible, and well within their right to make a game with gym leaders based rain-dance teams, setup teams, baton-pass teams, etc. copied from viable teams assembled by fans and IRL champions.

I hesitate to teach kids how to hold their own in the meta-game, but goddam I would have loved some better in-game examples of these proven strategies in action as a kid. Since the internet was a mere prelude in the early gens of what it is now, I spent up to Gen IV thinking that raising/lowering a star by one stage meant altering it by one POINT (as in, slash goes from 70 to 71 with howl, 72 with swords dance, etc.) thanks to some dumbass editor at Nintendo Power giving a piss-poor explanation of how stats worked. I'd always get rid of stat moves by the time my team was level 20, because at that point the difference in attack seemed like it would be negligible, and no npc's had the programming to demonstrate an attack's power with and without stat boosts (and if any of them did, I probably OHKO'd them before they had a chance to using retard-strength over-leveling and type advantages like every other kid playing these games).
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.