[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pokémon the new chess?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1052.jpg (47KB, 527x150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1052.jpg
47KB, 527x150px
Or will the timeless classic always be king of the games?
>>
>Jellicents as queen and king
>Not NidoQUEEN and NidoKING
>>
>>31475703
Other side, retard
>>
>>31475703
but jellicents have cute little crowns
>>
>No Nidoking and Nidoqueen
>No Gallade (ok fair enough since Cavaliers ride horses I guess? but still Gallade)
>I don't know what the fuck the pokemon for rooks would be but it sure as hell ain't Bastiodon
>>
>>31475654
I've seen a bunch of VGC players try to describe Pokémon as "just like chess"
When it's pretty much nothing like Chess from a game theory perspective
>there's probability
>players don't enter in the same situation
>players don't know the entire game situation at any point (both because of not knowing opponent's sets, and because you don't know which move your opponent has picked as you're making yours)

Pretty much the only way it's like Chess is because it doesn't require fast reactions and is complex enough to have varying playstyles without one being objectively the best.
>>
>>31475751

Anything turn-based that requires a second of thought is just like chess
>>
>>31475751
>game theory
Leave.
>>
>>31475770
>Being this ignorant about general game design.
>>
>>31475784
I'm going to assuming you're making the mistake of assuming he's referring to "Game Theory" the show, and not game theory the actual study of games and the design thereof.

Either way, you're being a colossal moron.
>>
>>31475730
Maybe Palossand? It's the closest thing to a tower there is
>>
>>31475654
>>31475654
>dat unovabortion lineup

L M O A
>>
>>31475654
Chess, isn't that the game with the checkers?
>>
>>31475812
>calls someone a colossal moron
>while responding to bait
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>31475770
Anything sounds absurd when you reduce it enough. Pokémon is a popular strategic game with an atmosphere of general predictability. Literally give the chess pieces optional attacks or add landscape to Pokémon and the games become much more similar.
They're big differences, but my post was about whether or not Pokémon has or will replace chess as reigning strategy game.
>>
>>31475770
just like every man is a rapist amirite
>>
>>31475842
which ones would you pick for this, then?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.