[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how does /vp/ feel about the Totems? Good, bad, or indifferent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: 1479685727064.png (645KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479685727064.png
645KB, 1200x800px
So how does /vp/ feel about the Totems? Good, bad, or indifferent feel free to share.
>>
>>31473913
Fun.
>>
I love Totem battles, i wish there were more on the second part of the game. Also the trials could have been more interesting
>>
>>31473913
Love'em

Trials on the other hand
>>
>>31473913

Very cool idea. On paper, fighting a single wild Pokemon instead of a gym leader's team sounded very easy and uninteresting, but they did a great job with it. Between the interesting tactics and good SOS "team" composition, they made it so at least a couple of them would be a genuine challenge, depending on your team.
>>
>>31473913
I wanted the Trial Captains to battle you after the totem battle
>>
I like them but I wish they were more boss-like
give them a healthbar that stretches across half of the screen or something
speaking of bosses, lusamine 2 should have been like that as well
>>
Gyms were better.
>>
>>31473913
Way better than gyms.
>>
Going through a specific challenge unique to an area is a lot more interesting than walking into a building and doing the same fucking thing that's been done since Red.
>>
>>31474169

But most of the challenges end up being fights against wild Pokemon.
>>
>>31474116
I dunno about you but Calm Mind/Metronome fucked me up and took my Magnezone out quickly lol
>>
Enjoyable and well-realized, surprising for a first attempt by GF.
>>
>>31474198
Yeah? Did you expect them to end in something else, in a game about fighting pokemon?
>>
>>31473913
A step on the right way
In the future i would love to see the ability to set a sort of safari zone that let's you put one of your pokemon as a totem and challenge other people, you would need to leave a prize for the winner of the fight, such as an item or pokemon, and the challenger could only use 3 pokemons and can't see who is the totem pokemon, only the reward is visible.
>>
File: IMG_0779.png (514KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0779.png
514KB, 500x738px
>>31473913
Definitely not as bad as matador
>>
>>31473913
Very easy to cheese, Curse with a Ghost type destroys them.
>>
>>31473913

They were okay, but the idea of them calling for help was kind stupid imo. No where else in the game are you gonna be expected to battle in a 1vs2 scenario off the bat like that, and it makes no sense why you'd be unable to just send out a 2nd pokemon when you see them call for back up.

They still suffer from being cheesed through just like any other Gym leader with bad AI that doesn't know when it's a good idea to switch out (like if you're confused and have 6 accuracy downs from sand attack).
>>
>>31474224

So how is that unique at all? It's the same shit as gyms only with even less difficulty.
>>
>>31473913

More challenging than gyms, that's for sure. The helper Pokemon were implemented well.
>>
>>31474246
Because of every other component that leads up to the fight. One is a warehouse and there's a guy in it. The other isn't.
>>
>>31474246
>Less dificulty
>1vs2 fight and one of the pokemon has it's stats buffed
>>
>>31473913
I wish the other captains followed in Ilima's footsteps and had you fight them before doing their trials.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>31473913
Totems are great. What pokemon boss battles would feel like when done right. I feel it needs to expanded in the future, Totems with competitive movesets and items(like weakness berries), aura boosting +2 of all their stats for insane difficulty, and ally pokemon that covers their totem's biggest wekaness similar to the Scizor in Kommo-o challenge. I also feel they need to do ledgendary Totem battles too. A Hoopa-Unbound totem that summons legendaries as allies would be fucking sweet. Make the insanely difficult ones optional of course.

>>31474237
>They were okay, but the idea of them calling for help was kind stupid imo.
Have you even played boss battles in your life? They're paired with allies/weak enemies most of the time.
>it makes no sense why you'd be unable to just send out a 2nd pokemon when you see them call for back up.
Kills the challenge.
>>
Not as bad as I thought they'd be, but still prefer gyms.
>>
I liked Totem Battles, they fit Alola well. Gyms will return with the next regions and remakes for sure though
>>
File: 1484981316282.png (202KB, 599x196px) Image search: [Google]
1484981316282.png
202KB, 599x196px
>>31473913
>loved the Totem fights
>decide to make a team based on them
>they're all shit except for Mimikyu
>>
>>31474474
>Gyms will return with the next regions and remakes for sure though
Remakes, for sure, i can't see them bullshiting they way into removing them from older games.
For next regions though, i could see them trying something new, like mixing both things, or doing something totally new, since totem pokemon and trials seem to have been received pretty well.
>>
>>31474532
I think Game Freak was going with a closer to nature approach with the Totem battles, because of the region, I mean Alola didn't have a League up until now either
But if the region(s) are something like this again I don't see why not
>>
Bland gimmick, like most of gen 7.
>>
Actually felt like a threat, unlike gyms.
>>
>>31474267
>Z move
>fight over
>>
A lot more challenging than the gym leader fights. I definitely had to utilize more of a strategy than I have in the past with gym leaders
>>
>>31474267

That's all they are: Pokemon with a stat boost. The adds can be one-shot most of the time. If you've played literally any other RPG you've fought bosses that are much harder.

They get even easier late game when you get boost moves like Swords Dance
>>
>>31474345

>Have you even played boss battles in your life?

Yes, I have. This isn't a standard RPG though, it has rules, and NOWHERE ELSE in the history of the game are you forced to fight 1v2. It's completely unprecedented and you never see it again outside of SoS chaining, which is honestly just a method for easy shinies / 4 iv mons.

To me, it feels like they were just out of ideas to make the game's stories more difficult and so they just said fuck it, gave them a stat buff and made you fight a 1v2 despite double battles already being a thing. Even a 10 year old is smart enough to realize "oh there's 2, maybe I should use 2"

>Kills the challenge

then make a "challenge" that isn't retarded. They already artificially upped the "difficulty" by starting them off with a 50% stat boost in one stat. It's not even that hard either, it's just stupid, because now I have to sit through another turn of a 'mon wasting my time.
>>
>>31474588
I used a fucking Z-fire move with my starter with fucking sunny day and the Lurantis didn't die
Also Mimikyu has Disguise
>>
>>31473913
I like em, but itd be nice to have them as kind of a side thing, while having gyms as the "main thing" in story progression
>>
>>31474657
Stop rushing through the game then.
>>
>>31474588
Ebin post.
>>
>>31474680
Wow Pokemon is easy if you stop to grind, who knew?
>>
>>31474688
Then don't complain about it, dumbass.

>It was hard!
>Yeah, you rushed through the game.
>But I need to prove my e-penis!

Then shut the fuck up, moron.
>>
>>31474705
I didn't complain about it, I just said it wasn't a cakewalk like you said
>>
>>31473913
Once you figure out how to wreck them they are no fun anymore.
>>
>>31474711
I one shot Lurantis, myself. Same with Mimikyu.

I never stopped to grind.
>>
>>31474688
252+ Atk lv100 Incineroar Inferno Overdrive vs. 0 HP / 0 Def lv24 Lurantis: 2672-3146 (3562.6 - 4194.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

kek

>>31474705
>playing normally
>"rushing through the game"
Yeah ok.
>grinding
>playing normally
>>
>>31474735
Why do you lie?
>one shooting Lurantis
Only way I could see this happening is with an affection/sturdy with counter
>one shooting Mimikyu
Literally no way. You have to break disguise first, survive the first hit, and still have to go through the boosted defenses.

Only way I can see you one shooting anything is through grinding.
>>
>>31474643
>That's all they are: Pokemon with a stat boost. The adds can be one-shot most of the time.
And gym fights are just trainers fights with trainers that have higher level pokemon, and usually only the ace pokemon can resist more than 1 super effective move.

>If you've played literally any other RPG you've fought bosses that are much harder.
>FLASH NEWS: pokemon is easier than most RPGs, unbeliavable!
>>
>>31473913
More interesting than gyms. And the fire trial was hilarious.
>>
>>31474852
quit being a dumbass 5 year old who thinks stat boosts are useless and set up with X-items.
The main game becomes ridiculously easy with them, especially because they now raise a stat by two, making the process faster.
>>
>>31474852
>totem lurantis appeared and speed rose sharply!
>Ribombee used pollen puff
>Lurantis fainted!
>>
>>31473913
Indifferent
>>
>>31474146
>>31474359
>>31474564
all of above
people will stop mindlessly sucking the gen vii cock as soon as a game placed outside of alola is on the horizon
>>
>>31474852
>Inferno Overdrive Torracat's fire fang
That's how I one-shot Lurantis.
Totem Mimikyu, no way. While Mold Breaker ignores Disguise, Pangoro with Corkscrew Clash-Bullet Punch or Shadow Claw shouldn't be able to one-shot and that's your only option for SE mold breaker. MAYBE if SC crit, but that's a stretch and you'd basically have to build for it.
>>
>>31475059
epic reasoning
>>
>>31474993
If you take up turns using X items then it's not one hit you retard
>>
>>31474852
Lurantis? I used a fire Z move with my starter, I think. I only remember because I was excited about getting a Lurantis until I realized its stats were awful.
>>
>>31473913

Totem pokemon/trials in general were a very refreshing, well-needed and long-overdue change of pace for the pokemon series IMO.

Not to mention significantly more challenging than any of XY or BW's gym leaders.
>>
>>31474644
You must hate horde battles in XY then.
>>
>>31473913
is that a smt reference?
>>
I like them. Sadly they or an equlivant of them will never come back because Gamefreak gotta Gamefreak. I'd love to have something like Totem Battles in conjunction with gyms.

Like if the evil team were experimenting on pokemon and sent out a sooped up one with +2 in two of its stats with two trashmobs on its side, or a Pokemon went on a rampage and you had to go out and fight it.
>>
>>31473913
>Lunantis has a fucking amazing design
>Is awful at everything and Tsareena is better in every regard while also being easier to et

Why.
>>
>>31473913
wasted potential just like everything in SM
>>
>>31473913
While challenging, the buildup to the fights were so uneventful that I missed gyms. They could have had a puzzle leading up to the totems, or other trainers that fight you before the totems, but instead you go through a tedious trial, fight boss then leave. It was bland.
>>
>>31474657
>I used a fucking Z-fire move with my starter with fucking sunny day and the Lurantis didn't die
Bullshit.
>>
>>31474588
Found the Exp.share user.
>>
>>31473913
Wasted potential. Mimikyu, Lurantis, and Wishiwashi were the only challenging ones.

Trials were pretty much entirely shit, though, save for Kiawe's, if only because it was entertaining. Acerola's wasn't that bad either, now that I think about it.
>>
>>31473913

Best part of Sun and Moon

I like the fact that we can finally have a focus on the actual Pokémon rather than people with Pokémon

Just need adjustments, like Vikavolt having no special attacks at all
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.