[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/-Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 66

File: heg.jpg (7KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
heg.jpg
7KB, 250x150px
Notable romhacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx

Making a romhack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP
Gen 4-6 hack tools: http://pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR

RMXP/Essentials
Engine: http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD (embed)
Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
http://imgur.com/a/CiudS (WIP Gen 5 tiles)

Places to share fangames:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

Topic of the thread:
Maps.
Build Maps.
Share Maps.
Rate Maps.
Discuss Maps.

NOT THE INJECTION GENERAL.
WE DO NOT INJECT.
IF YOU ASK, YOU CAN GO INJECT YOURSELF.
>>
File: Cerulean Nugget.jpg (530KB, 1088x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cerulean Nugget.jpg
530KB, 1088x960px
Touched up my Cerulean from last night.
Red circle: item
Green circle: cut tree
I am aware of tile errors
Gap in south fence/hedge is where a cut tree goes anyways
I had a pickle of a time getting the robbed house right - it serves to keep the player in Cerulean until they go to Bill's as well as a way back into town after they leave until they get cut - well fuck you, you leave and you're gone. Not gamebreaking, because player will have to have the SS Ticket event completed before they can enter the house.
Why did I shove Nugget Bridge here, you are asking yourself? Mostly to do with how I stuck the lagoon in. By the time I settled on a location, the bridge was done.
The itemfinder is in Viridian now, so for the time being that house serves as a convenient way to get to the cave, which will still have Mewtwo and all that jazz.
Water populated by Corsola and some rivery-type fish. Good place for Mudkip but Mudkip isn't part of this hack. Maybe Squirtle...definitely a place for Krabby, Wooper, etc.
Undecided on east side, kind of incomplete. Working on Route 24 right now, gonna be a bitchin' mountain hedge maze.
>>
>>31451893
oh shit if you don't get the badge you can't use cut, goddamn it. You'd get the ticket and then fuck yourself if you jumped off the ledges. How does that work in the base game?
>>
>>31451927
you talking about the house on the right and the tree that's in the empty spot on the map below right?

I think you just plain can't get back to cerulean until you to the ship in Vermilion. That said, you can't leave Cerulean until you beat Misty, the game makes sure you do what you need to do because you can't enter the house on the right until after you're done with Cerulean.
>>
>>31451927
>>31452069
nah there's a ledge you can hop down
>>
>>31452084
alomomola
>>
File: Untitled.png (903KB, 1088x960px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
903KB, 1088x960px
>>31451893
The lagoon looks artificially stuck in there; how about filling in the left inlet so it's a more natural extension of the mainland?
>>
>>31452374
you son of a bitch that's why I come here, to pick your brains.
>>
File: rom hacking starter kit.jpg (171KB, 286x1078px) Image search: [Google]
rom hacking starter kit.jpg
171KB, 286x1078px
>>
>>31451893
No cut tree by the bottom sign? Why bother then?
>>
I'm doing a Fakemon game. There's over 130 new mons but I'm having trouble in choosing the official Pokemon that will fill the rest of he dex. How many Pokemon would you consider as "too much"? Is a 300-ish dex too many pokemon to give away?
>>
>playing SGSS
>Lyra is a rival and her Nidorino scores two Blizzards and one Thunder in a row
>she doesn't give any money when she loses either
WHY
>>
>>31453132
>Gap in south fence/hedge is where a cut tree goes anyways
>>
>>31453129
>field effects
>>
Does anyone remember that one fangame called fusion generation? I remember there being talk of a sequel, but i can't find anything.
>>
>>31454106
nvm just found
>A sequel, Pokémon Fusion Generation II, has been cancelled by request of Nintendo.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN
>>
>>31454157
boy im bouta cum
>>
>>31453129
Disregarding severe edgy yet/and bland plot, the real issue here is that he really wants others to do it for him, without even really studying what it takes to do so. this guy wants the perfect game without providing the perfect effort, which is incredibly typical.
>>31453132
>>
>>31454157
(You)
>>
>>31454139
>A sequel, Pokémon Fusion Generation II, has been cancelled by request of Nintendo.
>Click link on the wiki
>find some barebones ass page for Fusion Generation II
>can't find it yet in any sort of way on the internet unlike Fusion Generation
I think that whole thing was a trick, I mean it is a wiki
>>
>>31454256
>>31453208
>>
>>31454933
I didn't mean to quote that post
>>
I got this idea from a previous thread.
But is item crafting possible with Essentials? Gathering a shard and a kind of feather to create a flying gem?
>>
>>31455495
Scratch this, I know it's possible. I remember the heartscales and elemental shards and shit to get the Elemental stones.
>>
For someone who has never done anything even close to making a game, would you recommend romhacking or rpg maker?
>>
How do I put Fairy type and its moves on Gen 4 and Gen 5 games?
>>
>>31456049
Essentials, I think. Never used it personally, but with it you don't have to constantly kill babies because of troubling yourself with palettes, limitations of any kind and such.

>>31456320
About HG/SS, I couldn't find a tutorial by searching a bit on Google. I do remember that Mikelan98, the same guy that worked on Light Platinum's DS Port made a patch that added the fairy type to HG/SS though. I wasn't able to find it myself but a good place where I didn't searched was in GBATemp's DS Hacking Section so I'll take a look over there and if I find it, I'll link it in another comment.

For B2/W2: "insert the fairy type projectpokemon", Google, first result.
>>
>>31456049
I started recently watching tutorials recommended here (I don't have the link right now)

Essentials are really possible for dummies. My experience so far is being similar to Sim City. Though when put to practice it's more time consuming. A lot more. Though not as hard as I expected
>>
I feel like this should probably be in the notable romhacks pastebin
>http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2299/

I've yet to dive in, but it looks like it just makes the original game flat-out better, with optional patches for more controversial changes.
>>
>>31453167
I think 300 is fair game. Just don't pull a Kalos
>>
>>31451893
I think you should try a totally different layout for the town. It just looks bad with the very narrow entrance to the gym and the thief house with the ledges.
>>
File: 1475793679664.webm (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1475793679664.webm
2MB, 512x384px
Should I feel bad for absolutely stealing a concept from deviant art?
Some guy made a fucking brilliant corgi design that's so clever right down to the fucking origin.
If you don't know, the welsh corgi was thought to be the steed of the fay aka fairies of Celtic mythology.
This fucking guy made a Welsh pup that, if leveled up with one of his fairy fakemon, evolves into a welsh corgi with a little fairy riding atop it both of them clade in armor. I'll post a picture, but fuck that guy. So fucking brilliant.
Also, this map is from Sage and its also brilliant.
Fuck that guy....
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-09-11.png (369KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-09-11.png
369KB, 480x800px
This fucking thing right here.
Normal/Fairy.
ARHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGHHHHHH
Makes me feel so inferior thst I couldn't think of this. And I'm doing a goddamn england region. The shit was staring me right in the face.
Y'know what, fuck it I'm taking this.
Or I'll throw this guy some shekels for it.
>>
File: IMG_0836.png (393KB, 1280x1300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0836.png
393KB, 1280x1300px
>>31458332
The fairy reminds me of Comfey, but without the lei.
Comfey - [England Region] form?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-24-52.png (298KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-24-52.png
298KB, 480x800px
>>31458378
Nah, it's taken ffrom these two
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-26-36.png (188KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-26-36.png
188KB, 480x800px
>>31458378
>>
Hey, I came in here a week or two ago asking about doubles focused hack and the viability of starting such a project. I'm seriously starting to gain motivation and steam towards actually creating it instead of just letting it sit around in my head, however, I was curious to see if you guys could help me sort through some ideas about Pokemon distribution and availability since it'll be a huge factor for the rest of the hack.

One of the things that was really neat about the Gamecube titles was hot little Pokemon you were actually given. In Colosseum you were given roughly 60 Pokemon to choose from throughout your adventure. I probably wanna jump this up to around 100 Pokemon or so, but, I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on the matter. I really don't want to turn this into another 'You can catch them all hack' since I think they're a bit stale at this point. So what do you think is a good number of Pokemon to have available to the player?

On that matter too, if I were to limit Pokemon available in the hack which Pokemon would you guys like to see. I can't say it'll be in the final product, but, I would love to hear some ideas on the matter. I'll definitely be trying to add some representation from all generations in it at least.
>>
>>31459965
Don't ask a prospective audience what they want, they don't know what they want. They want all 802 Pokemon plus megas plus every form plus shadow Pokemon plus multiple regions with a huge post game.
Ask yourself "what do I want in a hack?", then go on from there.
Don't be a faggot asking everyone to do everything for you, either. Getting help when you're stuck on mechanic implementation is fine, but don't expect anyone to do something for you.
>>
>>31459965
If you're taking inspiration from Collosseum: Make it so doing significant gameplay things gives you legendaries. Like the battle mountain giving you Ho-Oh.
>>
>>31451893
Cool idea. A few things:

1. You need to add some sand around the lagoon to give it the illusion of being a 'beached' area. Otherwise it's too isolated and random. And by 'some sand', I'm talking a section from the right-side trees across to the bridge.

2. The housing area is very narrow. Lots of grey fences too close together. As someone said, a new town layout might be needed.

3. If you're not using the robbed house to block progress, you need another angle. Maybe some NPCs in the way or something.
>>
File: 3769.png (74KB, 737x669px) Image search: [Google]
3769.png
74KB, 737x669px
>>31460747
>1.
Thanks! The lagoon placental has been the hardest part of this map
>2.
Are you referring to the right side? If so, that's from base game (2 tile path), but I'll widen it (and fix that house on the corner upper left)
>3.
I still want to use the robbed house (TR trying to get dig to get into Cerulean Cave from Mt. Moon), but placing it anywhere but where it originally goes is a pain.
>>
>>31460885
Have you considered putting the lagoon west of the bridge?
>>
Can someone hook me up with pokemon Brown, please? Thanks in advance, my dudes
>>
>>31461551
I have. I want it to be at least somewhat independent of Mt. Moon, as if it were a wayward crater or perhaps the remnants of a prehistoric caldera. Perhaps I could curve the mountain around it and crinkle the mountain's ledges to where it looks like the river outlet surrounds it.
The issue with where it stands now is that moving it too far NE means too much wasted space, too far straight north makes it too linearly aligned with the bridge and mountain slope,
And maybe the damned lagoon is too big, idk. Good maps are never made in a day, and rarely in a week.
>>
>>31461753
https://www.sendspace.com/file/406r4w
>>
>>31454256
If I can't/am unwilling to code, is it possible to get other people to do it for me if I can contribute in other areas?

I imagine it's hard to get people to contribute to "your" game if say, you're only an idea guy who isn't really looking for collaboration to build the idea itself, only for other people to do all the hard work of actually building it.
>>
>>31462610
I don't remember reading anything about Steve Jobs doing the actual coding in anything he was attached to, just design. One example, and a bad one, but I think people look to him as some sort of genius when all he did was dick the jobbers around and ride on his ideas.
With something that has ZERO profit and minimal acclaim, you HAVE to put in the work if you think anyone is even going to consider throwing you a bone and doing a couple of sprites or something.
>>
>>31462610
It's not that you have to know everything. The issue is this guy doesn't seem to understand the work he is requesting if others.
>>
>>31458310
Dude you got some skills. Do you have a playable demo yet?
>>
>>31459965
maybe try Pokemon that haven't been in regional dexes outside of their debut region? Pokemon like Forretress, Shiftry, Gastrodon, etc.
>>
>>31462610
Depends how much you're asking of them and how much work you've done yourself.
>>
>>31462545
Thank you very much, anon
>>
>>31462976
What if you paid them?
>>31462958
Now I feel unsure about my project. I have zero experience with coding/programming, but I can draw. Plus,I have everything done, I just need a smart person to implement some of my more ambitious features.
>>31462998
I didn't make this. Its from Sage.
Speaking of which, PEOPLE POST MAPS. That's my favorite part of romhacking/Essentials games.
>>
>>31464549
>What if you paid them?
Acceptable, but another thing entirely.
>>
How exactly is running implemented in gen 3? Would it be possible to allow running while surfing (for a faster speed like in SM).

Another thing, is there a patch to make using HMs instant? So you can cut or whatever without the 3 second animation wasting your time.
>>
>>31464549
I will. Still learning. I'm trying to make a sky city, but first I need to do the basics like towns with two houses and a lab
>>
>>31464549
>POST MAPS
World maps or routes?
>>
>>31465424
>How exactly is running implemented in gen 3? Would it be possible to allow running while surfing (for a faster speed like in SM).
I've seen someone increase the surf speed on Pokecommunity, probably in one of the asm threads. Don't know if you could easily have two speeds, though.

>Another thing, is there a patch to make using HMs instant? So you can cut or whatever without the 3 second animation wasting your time.
That's a scripting thing; cut, strength and rock smash can all be easily edited with xse, but the others will be harder to find if someone hasn't done it already. Don't think there's a patch but it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself.
>>
>>31465476
Routes, towns, and cool overworld maps
This guy is good
>>
>>31465870
>>
>>31465885
Doesn't Max map for sage?
>>
>>31451893
your last maps were all solid and exciting and this one is just ..fine.
>>
>>31465908
I'm starting over on Cerulean. Probably finish it in a week or two. The other maps took time. I think I just rushed this one.
>>
>>31466301
If you don't already, I'd recommend drawing your design on some scrap paper before going into advance map and making. It helps me sometimes
>>
>>31465898
I don't map as of yet.
I mostly edit music and debug.
>>
>>31455495
Sure. Pretty easy actually.
You don't even need to write a script for it you can just do it directly in events.
>>
>>31456049
Essentials is easier if you don't mind having to map everything yourself. Rom hacking if you want to work on an existing basis.
>>
>>31462610
If you've got money to pay them, sure.
Otherwise your concept better be god damn exceptional otherwise no one will want to put in the work for free.
>>
File: Arithmetics.png (145KB, 540x358px) Image search: [Google]
Arithmetics.png
145KB, 540x358px
So how do people feel about the hacks and other fan games that let you choose to be good or evil, with the story and world possibly changing drastically depending on your actions?
>>
>>31462976
>>31463858
>>31467627
Ok, yeah. This is what I was basically expecting. I'm more of an artist myself, I can do sprites and music, but I'm also planning out the story, concept, and features.

I want to go for a big project that requires a lot of scripting in Essentials, however, I'm thinking I want to work on a small project first and see if I can at least do some smaller busywork stuff like actually putting the maps together and whatnot. Hopefully I can get to a point where people are interested in the game enough to want to work on it too, but I know how peoples time can be very limited, and how some things may not be feasible either.
>>
>>31466301
I amn't great myself and I can't really put my finger on it here, but theres something off. Like its just too square while the others felt ~natural~. Everything here is right angles whereas say that monkey king temple route with the river meandering through - well its not often you can drop a word like meander about a map in these threads. They got me excited and interested. This one is just.. oh hey a town with a cave thing attached yay[/deadpan]
>>
>>31467651
I want to do that woth a polemon that evolves based on good or bad actions.
I don't know if it's possible aka requires coding experience though.
>>
>>31468232
definitely doable but you'll defininitely need some coding skills for it too.
>>
>>31467651
Never seen it done well. Life of Guardians specifically pissed me off with how badly it was done, but everything about Ruby Destiny pisses me off so I guess that's no big surprise.
>>
I'm unable to go to school or work for at least a year probably because of this illness I have. I think I'm going to try and make a fangame so that I'm doing something productive while I'm trapped at home.

Looking forward to lurking these threads more :^)
>>
>>31469526
Go for it!
Hope you get well!
>>
All the cheap cartridges of romhacks got removed from ebay
>>
There's something for 3DS called a "DS flashcart forwarder". Basically the only way to conveniently have all my DS games in my 3DS. Any cheap flashcarts you can recommend?
>>
>>31468176
You got it - right angles and too square. Got excited about the lagoon and need to keep the dig house together and posted rushed gamma concepts, for shame. Almost as bad as my old maps.
>>
>>31465870
>"""""good"""""
>>
>>31458310
I'm guessing that's done in rpgmaker? I didn't think it was possible to have parallaxing like that in a rom hack.
>>
>>31465870
Paths are too long, and usually too narrow. Sticking to one tree is usually best, and this guy is using five. There's just too much going on - street lights, benches, houses, a lab - who the fuck is sitting on all these benches?
>>31465885
How many fucking houses do you need? Too fucking big, and why are there two lighthouses? Narrow pathing again.
>>31465898
Jesus christ it doesn't stop.
>This guy is good
This guy has never had any negative feedback he hasn't answered with "if u dont like it then fuck you", judging by these shit maps.
Too often a novice puts together a map that looks pretty on their DA page and translates into unadulterated shit in-game.
>>
>>31465898
This is the capital city right? It's looks way to big to be a regular city.
>>
f
>>
>>31471971
>>31472079
>Salt
>>31472057
What's parallaxing?
>>
>>31472152
>>31472079
Let me guess, yo u guys hate Sage as well?
Because most of their maps so far, especially Dronia, are big.
I don't see the problem with many houses even if their are many shops or if it's simply for decoration. A big metropolis would have many businesses.
It's called immersion.
Also, post more maps. I like looking at them. :)
>>
>>31465870
>>31465885
>>31465898
these maps are artsy but they would be fucking terrible for gameplay

too much cluttered shit going on, hard to tell where you can even go, and good luck actually making content for all the houses in the third map
>>
File: rLKuusy.png (616KB, 1111x1254px) Image search: [Google]
rLKuusy.png
616KB, 1111x1254px
>>31474415
All this tells me is you have no imagination or vision. :/
Post more maps. This one is good. I tend to like maps with gen4-5 tiles.
>>
This one looks like a lite version of that BW town. Twinbridge? Something I don't fucking know.
>>
>>31474263
The seafloor background is moving slower than the interior of the undersea base, causing a depth effect known as parallaxing.
>>
>>31474516
Looks like a bitch to navigate with all these npcs blocking single tile passages.
>>
>>31472057
Yes, it's rpg maker.
>>
>>31474263
>>31474326
Suck my dick faggot, these maps are shit
>>
>>31475431
>Fuccboi used Spergout!
>It's not very effective!
>Fuccboi's AIDS sapped some of his HP
>>
>>31472079
I agree. With the first one, the paths are so narrow, think about trying to ride a bike through those one tile paths, constantly missing. It's also not immediately clear to the player how to get from the top path to the bottom path because it looks like its blocked by the street lamp at first, but if you were able to walk behind them, it would still be way too small for a main walkway.

For both the first and second map, the color contrast is fucking blinding. You have these bright pink trees and purple trees/benches surrounded by green. I feel like if the pink wasn't such a neon pink, and the saturation of the benches was lowered a bit, it would be better.

The paths in the second map also do not fit in with the other tiles, way too harsh. They need to be softened a bit, the borders that surround the segments of the path should be lightened.

Don't really have an issue with the third one, aesthetically it seems alright, tiles match. A bit too busy, kind of like if you expanded the market in Slateport to encompass the entire city.
>>
>>31476348
>Riding a book through such a comfy city
All in all, I would say I agree that the cities are a bit busy. I didn't consider the Npcs and all the annoyances that might cime with navigating the cities.
I do agree the narrow bridge in this
>>31474516
Might be annoying as well, but Im sure that is an event or interaction to get across.
Anyway, you guys post some maps so we can discuss them. Apparently, I have shit taste in maps..:/
>>
>>31476105
I bet you call people cucks irl
>>
File: 2iw4tbn.png (4MB, 1599x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2iw4tbn.png
4MB, 1599x1600px
>>31477135
Shit here is comfey
>>
>>31477375
As is this
>>
>>31477399
>>31477375
Shit, these are pretty. Are they in any games?
>>
>>31474496
>All this tells me is you have no imagination or vision. :/

No it means I care about gameplay rather than maps that only look good from a perspective the player will never see anyway.
>>
>>31477513
>I don't have yo put effort in if no one is going to see it
I bet your room is a mess :^)
>>
File: Item Crafter2.gif (332KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Item Crafter2.gif
332KB, 512x384px
>>31455495
I'll sell you the script for $5000
>>
>>31478388
No thanks, Mr.Goldberg. I have realized that a monkey with arthritis could do this, no sweat.
>>
>>31478441
you using events?
>>
>>31478689
I'm gonna do it like Kingdom Hearts in Traverse Town with the Moogles from Final Fantasy.
You gather shards, stones, different items to take to the synthesis guy/girl/transwoman (jk).
You'd find different recipes to unlock said items for synthesis.
Of course, you could still just find some of those items (type gems, evo stones, etc.)
>>
>>31477513
This. 7 tiles left/right, 4.5 left/right. That's all you need to care about. If there's nothing of interest in every possible window of view, you're fucking up.
>>
>>31477375
>>31477399
Looks good on a DA page and shit in a game, son
>>
>>31474516
>looks like a lite version
>it's fucking huge
>>
>>31472057
>I didn't think it was possible to have parallaxing like that in a rom hack.
I've never seen it done in a ROMhack but I'd assume it's possible with the hardware, since the GBA is basically a portable SNES and tons of SNES games have parallax scrolling (and probably GBA games as well, but I don't play as many GBA games as I do SNES).
>>
>>31479450
>>31479431
>>31479371
So, post a "good" map, assholes. Enlighten me.
>>
File: dark energy route 123-124-125.png (128KB, 1056x1824px) Image search: [Google]
dark energy route 123-124-125.png
128KB, 1056x1824px
>>31479615
Dark Energy's maps will never not make me cum. They're designed with travelling through in-game in mind. This in particular is a mega-map stitching three routes together at once for a huge vertical trek (and there's a small dungeon at the northmost building too before you can make it to the isolated town you're trying so hard to reach); I'm pretty sure it was made so the author could show off her route connection skills, which were really hard to work with in the pre-disassembly era of Gen 2 hacking.
>>
>>31479711
I hate this fucking aesthetic though.
The tiles from Gen 3 and back fucking suck.
>>
>>31479711
Also, this looks like a typical Johto route.
You must be one of THOSE people.
THIS is good.
>>
>>31479917
>>31479963
>aesthetics

Functionality > aesthetics

>looks like a typical Johto route
That's because the type of routes Game Freak made were made for a reason, they're functional.

>that map you posted

Okay, I've been baited. Good job, you had me hooked for a while.
>>
>>31480086
Dude, this isn't a competition. I like that map. Fuck you.
You feel so strongly about it. Post some more, Professor.
>>
>>31479711
Gen 2 maps fucking suck though, what with the 2x2 tiles.
>>
>>31480086
Also
>Functionality > aesthetics
I bet you work at some boring job, and come home to your boring, plain jane bf to eat a bland, boiled goose meal, fucking your boyfriend missionary for the sole purpose of catching AIDS.
If this were a 80s teen flick, you'd be the fucking principal.
>>
>implying this city isn't /fa/
>>
File: dark energy route 100-101.png (70KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
dark energy route 100-101.png
70KB, 960x768px
>>31480220
Have you even looked at the map you posted? Look at how fucking cramped it is. Look at all the one-tile paths you're forced to go through. Look at how much of a clusterfuck the grass is. There's no clear path to walk through, with the minimal dirt road tiles going everywhichway, and according to the filename of your image this is supposed to be fucking Route 1?

Let's contrast with the first route from Dark Energy I'm not posting more maps because of you, I'm posting it because I like posting maps from Dark Energy. The path to the left is blocked off at the one-tile area by an NPC until a certain plot point, keep in mind, so it'd be best to focus on the path from the right building to the north exit. Also keep in mine some tiles look corrupted in the map viewer I used to get this, but they all look fine in-game.

This was obviously made earlier than the map I posted before, and early Dark Energy actually isn't that good, especially plotwise (you have a talking Eevee that stops contributing to the plot as soon as you meet it, characters break the fourth wall a bit too often, etc.; I think the author said she's going to clean up the opening areas a bit before the next beta), but it still follows basic mapping conventions. The path you have is very clear, the grass you go through is minimal as is standard for the first route of a game, and while there is an unnecessarily thin area up top, a flaw for the otherwise fine map, it gets you from the starting town to the next town without many obstacles, which is what a first-route map should do. I'd also criticize the map for not having any "shortcuts" to return to the starting town faster, but you don't have to immediately go back to the first town for any reason so that convention isn't strictly necessary even if I'd like it to be there.

>>31480348
Plain people don't do the things that would give them AIDS in the first place, I don't see the point of your projection.
>>
>>31480492
>fucking your live in boyfriend is normal
>>
File: BattleTowerOutside.png (16KB, 320x448px) Image search: [Google]
BattleTowerOutside.png
16KB, 320x448px
The Battle Frontier in HGSS has its own trees and bricks, so I'm considering adding those to the Battle Tower in Polished Crystal.
>>
>>31480492
I'm not defending the cluttered map that the guy above posted but this map isn't particularly fantastic either. The patches of grass and bushes simply slapped on the paths like that doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, nor does it conform to GSC style. Some of the tiles, more specifically, the buildings are poorly edited detract from the map's overall quality. The mountains look a bit strange as well.
>>
>>31480492

See >>31480242

Every map in gentoo looks the same.
The 2x2 tiles are painfully obvious and cannot be unseen once spotted. (This goes for all maps in gen 2)
This map and then one you showed earlier are just straight lines, for the most part. I can't understand how you think these are good, unless you like them because "muh nostalgia".
I'd even argue shit like >>31479963 is better, which does have a pronounced path by the way. At least on that map you can explore a little, and it actually has colors.
The gen 2 aesthetic has aged like sour milk, you're better off making a map in the gen 3+ style.

TL;DR you only like these maps because Gen 1 (or 2) was your first game.
>>
>>31480377
This map looks better than anything pre 3D gamefreak has ever done.
>>
>>31481198
Whoever did this needs to finish the damn job with those awful tree tiles.
Other than that, I like it.
>>
File: 1485057649503.png (52KB, 928x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485057649503.png
52KB, 928x800px
>Yellow Forest, also with new trees. (Polished Crystal's replacement for HGSS's Johto Safari Zone.)
>>
>>31481230
>>31481235
(sorry, can't delete that first post) :/
>>
>>31481284
Did you just go and make the map brighter....?
>>
>>31473320
f at me one more time and I'll glass ya
>>
>>31465908
>>31474496
Where are all this maps from ? Which game?
>>
File: bgb00094.png (4KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
bgb00094.png
4KB, 160x144px
>>31480730
Oh. I assumed he thought I was a girl for some reason. Should have known there are no girls on the Internet.

>>31480814
Like I said, the tiles look corrupted in the map editor but fine in-game. Pic related

>The patches of grass and bushes simply slapped on the paths like that doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, nor does it conform to GSC style.

I'll agree about the grass, it probably would have been better to stick the grass toward the edge of the path and have it grow out to where you want it.

>>31480842
>The 2x2 tiles are painfully obvious and cannot be unseen once spotted.
I agree that it's a limitation, but if you look at good maps from later Gens they deliberately make their paths at least two tiles wide, and for good reason, it keeps the maps from being horrible to traverse.

A route map SHOULD essentially be a straight line when you abstract it and shrink it down to look at the whole thing. The only exception is when you include a side area to be explored/lead to an optional dungeon, and generally those side paths are also straight lines if you separate them from the main path and look at them similarly. Prism has plenty of exploration but its routes are all also straight lines; the only reason I'm not posting Prism maps is because you'd unfairly shit on them due to not liking their aesthetics and that would make my blood pressure rise.

A plain map built for gameplay is better than a map that might look nice but makes you want to stop playing the game. If I played a ROMhack and that fakemoncritique map was Route 1 I'd stop playing, that's the kind of shit you'd see in a kaizo hack where everything is meant to be painful on purpose.

>>31480813
Bricks look good, I'm not a fan of the trees just because of how close the map is to Olivine. If you ever made a whole Battle Frontier (much easier said than done of course) and the map was larger, it might better warrant having new trees.
>>
File: 1483271469810.jpg (7KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
1483271469810.jpg
7KB, 242x209px
>tfw just found out about the gale of darkness hack
this is the single greatest thing ever
>>
>>31451591
how much has changed from the 2010 Summer beta of Pokemon Prism and the full 2017 version?

i bought a physical copy of Prism on ebay because i'm a cuck for physical copies of romhacks, but its the 2010 version.
>>
File: KR 1.png (12KB, 384x640px) Image search: [Google]
KR 1.png
12KB, 384x640px
>>31479615
>So, post a "good" map, assholes. Enlighten me.
Personally, I believe this to be the epitome of mapping. Notice how the ledges are both aesthetically pleasing and fully functional, forcing the player to travel through the grass so they can beef their starter up and yet allowing an easy and quick return journey once they get the plot device to move further in the game. The paths are wide and comfortable to allow easy maneuvering on both bike and foot.
Indeed, a map is more than aesthetics; what is on this map? Two NPCs, avoiding a crowded look but giving the sense that the world is populated. One even gives you a potion, in case you screwed up your rival battle and need another to get through the 3 or 4 rodents and birds you'll encounter.
Speaking of which, you encounter basic 2 and 3 stage mons here; the regional rodents and birds that are practically mascots. Easy to beat, but when you come back through the second time, armed with balls, you can catch them and you can even take them to the end of the game and not be disappointed. No shitmons here, just the unsung heroes of everyone's first play through.
I know it's an official game, but I use Route 1 as a yardstick for all my routes.
>>
>>31481594
The 2010 summer beta is only four Gyms.

The full version of Prism never got officiailly leaked, and all we have is an unfinished dev build from at least a week before they planned on releasing it. It's playable from start to finish but some sidequests are undone and there are glitches (some of which have gotten fixed through a fan patch called the "Carl patch" but others still remain). It uses a completely different ROM base than the 2010 version (Prism started as a Gold hack but they shifted the entire thing to Crystal to take advantage of the pokecrystal disassembly).

>>31481623
My nigga. I should have just posted that instead of Dark Energy's maps.
>>
>>31481576
Pokemon Rejuvenation has Shadow Pokemon and their mechanics if you are interested. It's from essentials and edgy, but delivers a good challenge
>>
>>31481634
ahh thanks. i'm probably better off getting a flash drive cart for playing Prism on GB hardware
>>
>>31481637
maybe i'll check it out after i finish "next gen" gale of darkness. the level curve is beautiful and a lot of shadow pokemon can be caught with hidden abilites and egg moves (second shadow pokemon is phanpy with ice shard). i'm having a fuck ton of fun with this, but the natural fps issues with dolphin are a turn off
>>
>>31481634
*The full version of Prism never got officially released

>>31481284
While it's on my mind, have you heard that quick WIP I posted of the wild Alola theme?
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/alola-wild-pokemon-battle-gbc-8-bit-wip
I haven't had time to work on it due to real life and a really, really fucked up sleep schedule making me unable to focus, but I'd still like to hear your opinion on the general feel of it. I've already added a few extra notes to the bassline around 0:08 to make it sound a bit less empty, but don't have much done beyond the WIP sadly. I do want to get at a minimum this and the trainer theme done before you release 3.0; I'm not sure how close you are since I haven't been following the battle glitches introduced by your AI changes and whether they've been fixed.
>>
/vp/, I need your honest opinion about this idea I've had.

Anyway, I was thinking about this romhack that makes regions bigger. Like... more towns, larger routes, a few puzzles here and there, bigger cities... all that.

The idea I have revolves around an open world game, where you can start from any city/town and then you can explore with complete freedom the world. Gyms become optional, but you still need 8 badges for the E4, you can still enter the E4 without the 8 badges, but you have to win a tournament a-la ashnime to challenge the E4

I have more ideas that could go with that concept of an open world to make it work (I think) but as you can see, I don't know shit about making hack games.

My question is... what do you guys think of the idea of expanded regions? And what do you think of an "open world" game?

Is it even possible to do such thing?
>>
>>31481720
>And what do you think of an "open world" game?
Not going to work. Trying to make a regular Pokémon hack is already a giant amount of work and most don't get done as a result, trying to make it "open world" and giving the player free reign while keeping literally any semblance of team progression, plot progression, level curve, etc. would require a miracle.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1920x1160px
>they turned lovrina into a # spouting meme girl
worry.jpg
>>
>>31481793
The hell is WRONG with you anon? #mean #close-minded
>>
>>31481744
I know it's a lot easier said than done, but a level curve would work if it was anything like FF Tactics? In that game, enemies leveled up as you did, so you could grind pretty much anywhere. Following that idea of an "open world" game, a mechanic like that could be implemented?

Let's say, the game making an average level based on your gym medals/average level of your team or anything like that. Wild mons being a few levels weaker and NPCs just a couple of levels lower. I know that idea still has several flaws that would make the game tedious, but it's a vague concept.

As for the story, I was thinking of something like side stories where you take part of, like Lillie in SM. Instead of you being this super trainer that kicks everyone in one shot, you are just a traveler that goes around helping people or being part of other mini stories... but that still needs some kind of major plot.
>>
>>31481594
>I paid actual money for a gen 2 romhack.
>>
>>31481623
This is just a fucking square. C'mon lads, I mean you can have functionality and still be creative/vibrant/expressive/etc.
>>31481532
>A route map SHOULD essentially be a straight line when you abstract it and shrink it down to look at the whole thing.
I've been arguing with this dude all day and he's only now just said something I agree with.
>>31481623
This shit is so boring. Why not just exnay the fucking trees and ledges altogether and just have a straight dirt path between locations?
>>
>>31481720
Of course, it's totally possible. Only thing is, it's gonna take a lot of work. This guy >>31481744 is cynical. It's possible. Nothing you said couldn't be done with even a small amount of scripting. But as with all GOOD fangames, it's gonna take work+time+patience+passion.
>>
>>31482101
Anon, let's take Wally as an example.

You face-off Wally on the beginning and in the end of the victory road. Wally didn't "get" strong. Those are two different characters with the "name" Wally.

He didn't grow stronger nor was he configured to be stronger proportionally to the level of your part or something. Two characters were made for two specific occasions.

What you are saying, with this freedom you desire, without knowledge of coding, would require you to make a bunch of different characters, all with the same name, each for the possibility to be fought at a specific point.

Do you understand how covering each possibility would be hard? This wouldn't end with each character based on the number of badges you'd have.
>>
File: Kalos_Route_1_XY.png (115KB, 135x393px) Image search: [Google]
Kalos_Route_1_XY.png
115KB, 135x393px
>>31482160
>Why not just exnay the fucking trees and ledges altogether and just have a straight dirt path between locations?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1920x1160px
>they also renamed her pokemon
>6 pokemon this early on
t-thanks
>>
>>31482470
Oh, I was being facetious. That guy (YOU) seem to be implying all good routes have to be a direct shot from location to location.
>>
>>31482603
But it should be. A route is a means to an end. You can have side paths, but the main path should be a direct shot.
>>
>>31465870
He has a tree burrowing into the side of a cliff.
Jesus Christ no.
>>
File: start.png (150KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
start.png
150KB, 960x800px
Rate my starting town.
>>
>>31484736
Nice Pallet breh
>>
>>31484736
Really good, though the path going north looks a little thin, maybe increase it to 3 tiles wide like the lower path leading into the cave?

What's in the cave?
>>
>>31484860
The beginning of the cave will be a small Nidoran den in which you find your starter and the rest will be a dungeon which will be accessible in the postgame.
>>
>>31484736
>''there's something in the cave for the post game'' cliche
>>
>>31485084
You're planning on having Nidoran as starters then?

>>31485089
Is it really cliche though?
>>
File: Route 4.png (393KB, 800x2528px) Image search: [Google]
Route 4.png
393KB, 800x2528px
Since we're talking about map, here's one I already posted in this thread some month ago.
>>
>>31485113
You will be able to chose between male and female nidoran but i might change that in the future.
>>
>>31484736
Pallet Town but with caves, 1/5
>>
>>31485121
It's mostly okay but with some weird shit like random benches, 3/5
>>31485178
Not terrible (unlike your map)
>>
What if someone makes a Gen 2 Romhack that allows you to switch between day and night by sleeping at an inn or something, saves the player trouble of having to wait for pokemon that only appear at certain points of the day.
>>
>>31485727
Good idea, you could also implement day/night more into the game. certain important events only happen at certain times.
>>
File: front-shiny.png (3KB, 56x336px) Image search: [Google]
front-shiny.png
3KB, 56x336px
Made a Metagross for Prism, based on the suggestion someone made for it to have a colored cross. (uploaded shiny variation)
>>
File: back.png (740B, 48x48px) Image search: [Google]
back.png
740B, 48x48px
>>31485994
Also its back(from the naturia dex), feel free to use or edit both.
>>
>>31484736
Those side-entrance cave mouths look... off. I'd much prefer they were skewed to allow for a south-facing entrance.

Apart from that? I mean, it's okay. It's a basic bitch starting town, which is not a bad thing by any means. Some little feature like a fountain or a statue or anything to spruce the area up would be good.
>>
>>31484736
These tiles look incredible! Are they custom?
Anyway, it's a pretty basic starter town. Only off thing is that cave entrance at the bottom right. Why is that there?
>>
>>31485121
Hoddamn, I love long, sprawling routes like this. 10/10 far as I'm concerned. Although, if you read the thread, apparently, vp hates routes that aren't just a straight line between towns.
>>
Is there any way to export a rom hack from rpg maker XP and play it as a .cia on 3ds? Or should I use another program?
>>
A bit unrelated,

I'm taking a break from romhacking and working on something else. Anyone here have experience with Unity?
>>
>>31488466
RPG maker games are not rom hack, you can't play them on a 3DS.
>>
>>31488466
Or am I just going about this wrong entirely?
>>
>>31488764
So what should I use?
>>
So is anyone over the age of 20 making a romhack/fangame as of right now?
>>
>>31481576
Link?
>>
>>31488812
To make a rom hack ? Look at the OP.
>>
Is gen6 hacking possible at this point?
Are the garc unpacker and the pk3ds editor sufficient?
>>
>>31488861
Looking at the video tutorial now. So with this I should be able to make a hack usable on my 3ds like prism for example? I'm not going for anything big just I want to see for myself how it's done. Would be a shame to get invested in a method again only to realize it's the wrong one.
>>
>>31487317
le /vp/ is one person meme
>>
>>31489013
You'd make a Virtual Console injection.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-general-vc-rom-injection-thread-nes-gb-c-a-etc.371894/
https://nicoblog.org/guides/3ds-gameboy-advance-virtual-console-injection-guide/

And of course, you also need to hack your 3DS to use those injected VC titles. The guide is really easy to follow and any firmware can be hacked right now so you're in luck.
https://3ds.guide/
>>
post more routes please
>>
>>31488841
Considering the older Pokemon fans tend to be nearing their 30s, I wouldn't doubt it.
The question is, is anyone over the age of 20 making a fan-game that isn't edgy bad fan fiction bullshit?
>>
>>31489152
Yeah my 3ds is already hacked. Thanks anon.
>>
>>31488841
I am.
>>
File: Cerulean 7b working.jpg (663KB, 1088x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Cerulean 7b working.jpg
663KB, 1088x1280px
>>31451893
Making good progress. I figure this is some sort of tributary delta, an offshoot of the main river going down Mt. Moon. I had to change Route 4 a little to account for the changes to the river,
Don't really see how I can fit Cerulean Cave in this, though, which is a shame. Might put it out on Route 24, which is shoved in here because I had the space (probably going to cut that though.)
Right angles are being softened, but still some work needed on blocks and I gotta figure out what the hell to do with route 24 and maybe the bridge too.
>>
File: aerousvalley[1].png (85KB, 1664x608px) Image search: [Google]
aerousvalley[1].png
85KB, 1664x608px
>>
>>31487317
But that map IS basically a straight line in concept. It gets you from point A to point B, with a sense of direction with the occasional alternative path that still gets you to point B. This map just does a good job at it.
>>
>>31489223
Im trying. Kinda abandoned my idea to make multiple playable characters since it would require coding and currently am trying to balance out the prototype plot tk make it have dark portions but not be edgy.

I'm using the Mystery Dungeon's Explorer's story as a myth in that game. The story of Grovyle and his human partner that travelled in time to change the future being a known tale for both characters in the present and in the doomed future
>>
>>31490376
A lot of right angles but looks like it would fit in an official gen 3 release. Pleasant and simple. 5/5
>>
File: path_comparison.png (798KB, 853x632px) Image search: [Google]
path_comparison.png
798KB, 853x632px
>>31490376
For example, I tried drawing the paths the player would take to get from point A to point B in that map, which is pretty linear. Compare that to this map from earlier in the thread, which I had trouble even figuring out where you had to go, just completely open which isn't really a good thing.
>>
>>31490945
It's a wilderness, man. A single map with a vast amount of explorable areas.
I can't help if you're a dumb, cunt, piece of shit, jew rat, fuckface, ignorant asshole.....no offence.
>>
>>31488843
sorry for the late response

https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/topic/37672-pokemon-xg-next-gen/#comment-199103

literally the first result when you google gale of darkness hack. the level curve is really good until pyrite town in which it suddenly becomes satanic
>>
>>31491336
>no offense
i didnt know 8 year olds could make romhacks
>>
>>31491440
I'm from London and I've fucking had it with you!
>>
>>31491336
Except its exploration for the sake of exploration, which doesn't really work in a Pokemon game, especially the 2D ones.

In the main games, each branch off the main path has a reason for doing so, whether it goes to a point of interest (house, cave, temple, etc.), an item, hidden item, a secret base, or an event. Even if the area is meant to be explored, it still keeps a bit of limitation to subtly guide you.

You rarely, if ever, branch off the main path down another path to find nothing but grass or trees, the player would feel like they wasted their time. Every area has to have purpose, thought put into it. Why does the player want to go this way, what will they find, what are the pros and cons to going this way? Is there a rare item, but to get to it you have to walk through a lot of tall grass and fight an annoying trainer? And so on.

The only exception I can think is if maybe it were a Safari Zone.
>>
>>31489894
>looks at this sand
wait so Kanto games never use that nifty 'shallow water' tile that Hoenn games have?

Wow.
>>
>>31491617
You want to play GF games then go play a rom or something.
These are fangames where people are allowed to express themselves creatively and, in most cases, be more open about exploration for the sake of exploration.
I don't understand your point. You think every route should have a purpose and exist solely for one purpose. I disagree.
A canyon like area like>>31490945
would have large areas of exploration. What should pic related look like if you designed it?
And as i said, there could be scripted events all over this map. Hell, most of this map seems to be impassable without HMs. Which means, you'd realize you're going in the wrong direction.
But honestly, I will admit that this particular map doesn't really make it's destination obvious. It opens from both the bottom right via pathway and the top via cave. I do see how one would be a bit confused as to the intended destination assuming the route isn't simply cave to path and vice versa. Maybe all that shit to the left is simply for exploration, which I love. Maybe the point is to get to one of those houses and be done. Maybe coming back to EXPLORE once you have your HMs.
Tl;dr Exploration is important. Details matter. Re-visiting areas on routes make the game more immersive.
>>
>>31489894
Kinda weird having the town just sitting that close to a river with no barriers or anything.
Also, I know you want to have that cave/ghm thing, but it looks weird next to Cerulean mountain.
>>
>>31491617
The main games suck.
>>
>>31491884
Without seeing where the events are, I guess you can't really make a 100% accurate analysis of map, you're right. You would really need something happening in the top left for it to really make sense though.

Again, exploration to a point is alright, but having to make your way all the way out of the way to the top left to find nothing to gain would be a bit irritating, because you would spend a bit looking around for what you would assume is there for a reason. It would be like designing an interior and have sprawling hallways everywhere, and you spend a minute walking down a hallway to find all the doors are locked. Ok, you explored, but you were expecting something to be at the end of all of this.

I understand these are fangames and people will make them how they want to, I don't have a problem with that, but trying to say that they are superior from a gameplay perspective is what irks me. I feel like a lot of what people make when making maps is something that just looks cool. I'm not saying that it needs to be ugly, but when designing a map from a gameplay perspective for something that someone would enjoy playing, you can't focus purely on visuals at the expense of gameplay.

A good way to design a map for gameplay is to draw a barebones version, where you create the layout of the map first, make sure it flows well, and then you can add the design to it, add irregularities and curves and whatnot while keeping the original structure, because it's harder to make something that looks good play better than it is to make something that plays good look better. Thats just my opinion however.
>>
File: 107 - vUjodGj.jpg (106KB, 392x425px) Image search: [Google]
107 - vUjodGj.jpg
106KB, 392x425px
>>31491884
>You want to play GF games then go play a rom or something.
Essentialsfags, everyone. No wonder you people hold up fangames like Reborn as good, you love changing good design elements for the sake of it.
>>
>>31492284
I meant rom as in regular ole Gamefreak games, jackass. And how lame is that
>muh company wars
shit you just pulled
>>
File: 095 - CDjloun.jpg (95KB, 335x421px) Image search: [Google]
095 - CDjloun.jpg
95KB, 335x421px
>>31492390
>how lame is that
Not as lame as people who like Essentials.
>>
>>31492137
>It would be like designing an interior and have sprawling hallways everywhere, and you spend a minute walking down a hallway to find all the doors are locked. Ok, you explored, but you were expecting something to be at the end of all of this.
Okay, I do agree somewhat with this. As for the map in question, and all like it, there should definitely be a clear, unbroken pathway/guidance that shows the main route. I agree with that.
But it seems the artist intentionally made this map with lots of exploration in mind. And as I said before, sometimes it's not about some big reward, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's about exploring, the journey. Just catching pokemon.
All in all, I would say again that with a large map like this, the designer should absolutely have a distinct pathway between locations.
>>
>>31492137
>A good way to design a map for gameplay is to draw a barebones version, where you create the layout of the map first, make sure it flows well, and then you can add the design to it, add irregularities and curves and whatnot while keeping the original structure, because it's harder to make something that looks good play better than it is to make something that plays good look better.
Fair point. I agree. Make the main route first and then add the optional routes for exploration. I agree 100%.
>Thats just my opinion however.
Nah, this is cool, dude. Totally the topic of the thread:map discussion. Unlike this fuckhead>>31492284
>>
>>31489187
Baamp
>>
>>31494254
>>
>>31494268
>>
hey guys. I want to replay red/blue rescue team but with different starter/partners. is there any tool out there that can let you play as custom starters?
>>
>>31494285
>>
>>31494302
Not sure. I know PSMD had one, but hacking is kind of fucky with the older PMD games.
>>
>>31485121
I like it, a few things that pop to mind.

1. You cant enter the light house without leaving the map.

2. It looks like it should be made walk able from south to north
>>
>>31489894
The water and border makes it look like a beach town instead of a river or lake town.
>>
>>31485121
This map is virually perfect in design and functionality.

Anyway, how would you all feel if a pokedex introduced multiple pokemon based on a similar concept?
I love dogs and I have multiple dog pokemon, all from a different line in one region. I also have wolf in sheep's (Mareep clothing..original I know), a hungry wolf aka Red Riding hood, and a House Stark direwolf.
I think having three wolves is kinda bad. I dont know yet.
>>
el bumpo
>>
So I tried to get into editing Sun/Moon with pk3ds but apparently all you can do is replace or edit already existing stuff, you cannot for example add a new static encounter, totem fight or a new pokemon/form

>>31489282
>>31489223
>>31490426
What are you doing?
>>
>>31494254
Is that based on those mazelike castles in central africa?

I remember seeing one in a history book as a kid and it looks very similar to that route.
>>
>>31497105
What do you mean?
>>
File: vietnamwar.png (3KB, 156x77px) Image search: [Google]
vietnamwar.png
3KB, 156x77px
>>31497105
It ain't me
>>
>>31491921
Yeah, I tried so hard to make it work but with the feedback I've gotten and the difficulty I've had making it work, it just isn't happening. But hey, that's learning for you.
>>
>>31481793
>>31482518
What is this?
And how do I get it?
>>
File: image.png (105KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105KB, 1334x750px
>>31497105
Not me either
>>
>>31495133
Yeah, the entrance to the lighthouse is on another map.
Not sure what you mean about it not being walkable from south to north ? It's a two way road.
>>
File: 365 hours in Excel.png (1MB, 2181x3924px) Image search: [Google]
365 hours in Excel.png
1MB, 2181x3924px
>tfw only like 20 of these have made the cut so far
>>
I want to add data for all pokemon,moves and abillities of gen6 and 7 that aren't included already.
Is this the latest version of essentials?
http://kleinstudio.deviantart.com/art/UPDATE-Pokemon-Essentials-BW-V3-1-1-539043910
>>
File: 1477356361780.png (2MB, 1280x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1477356361780.png
2MB, 1280x1493px
>>31499978
>ten Fakemon Eeveelutions
>naming the Fighting Eeveelution anything but Champeon
>>
File: Untitled.png (830KB, 1088x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
830KB, 1088x1280px
>>31489894
You need to keep the river flowing out to sea. Maybe like this?
>>
File: Capsule_Monsters_Buhi.jpg (45KB, 558x476px) Image search: [Google]
Capsule_Monsters_Buhi.jpg
45KB, 558x476px
Would anyone be interested in a gen 1 hack that basically tries to recreate a beta version of the game?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Green_beta

>All pokemon have their pre-release names (Man o war, NY, LA, Skullkraken and the gang)
>beta unreleased pokemon like in pic are added
>maybe add some gen 2 pokemon or a few fakemon as well to add up to 190 pokemon like they stated was originally planned
>playable female character
>bird type instead of flying type

Stuff like that. Or if it already exists, what is it called? I'd for sure like to play it.
>>
>>31502414
I found this
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17231.0

Same idea, but for gen 2 instead of gen 1.
Dunno if anything ever came out of it; too lazy to check. But the concept is interesting.
>>
>>31502414
Closest thing I can think of is Pokémon Brown (and by extension the Rijon portion of Prism) using beta maps from GSC as partial or full inspiration for a lot of town designs. Jaeru City in particular is almost 100% identical to Blackthorn's beta map.
https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver/Unused_Maps

I don't know about any RBY equivalent, though.
>>
File: map-hgss.jpg (23KB, 462x319px) Image search: [Google]
map-hgss.jpg
23KB, 462x319px
>>31481230
You should call this Gold Forest and make it an equivalent to Mt. Silver north of Ecruteak city, like everyone thought was going to happen from looking at the hgss map back before it was released.
>>
>>31480377
Is this from a gen IV hack?
The tiles look much more 3d than anything ive seen for essentials.
>>
>>31499978
what version of excel did you use for this? it looks like a really nice way to keep everything in order
>>
>>31502602
What exactly is that area, is it the desert area?

never finished johto so i am oblivious
>>
File: Bellchime_Trail_HGSS.png (149KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
Bellchime_Trail_HGSS.png
149KB, 640x320px
>>31502643
basically just this small trail.
Dunno why they felt like it was important enough to include special graphics for it on the map.
>>
>>31502602
It's called Yellow Forest because it's based on the Pokéwalker location, even has Surfing and Flying Pikachu that can be caught there.
>>
File: lake of gimmick.png (10KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
lake of gimmick.png
10KB, 640x576px
>>31502568
>https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver/Unused_Maps
Thanks for the link anon!
>>
>>31502717
No problem, just be careful. TCRF is one of those sites where you can suddenly lose hours of your life from binging it.
>>
>>31502822
Just spent 2 hours on it.
>>
benis
>>
Is it possible to do conditional branches based on the gender option taken in the start of the game without needing coding to do so?
>>
>>31502639
Excel 10, but any version works
>>31501499
I don't think I'll use any eeveelutions except maybe the sound one
>>
>>31503918
Are you talking romhack or essentials?
If romhack, which gen?
>>
>>31504025
Essentials. Planning to have a rival the opposite gender the player picks
>>
>>31504044
It's pretty easy then. Just set up a variable when the player selects the gender at the beginning of the game (ex 0 for male, 1 for female) and make your conditionals according to that.
>>
So is there a good randomizer script for essentials? I found this, but it's a bit shit.
>https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=328440

I want something that just shuffles the dex and sticks with it. Like if it decides that Pidgey is now Geodude, then it should be a geodude that appears everytime a trainer has a pidgey. Not 100% random every time like in that script.
>>
>>31504717
Understood
>>
>>31504798
what about this? https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360904
>>
File: wonsan_nk_1.png (54KB, 768x608px) Image search: [Google]
wonsan_nk_1.png
54KB, 768x608px
Mapping a region based on North Korea. This is a port city, based on the city of Wonsan. The second town/city in the region, GSC equivalent to Cherrygrove.

Suggestions desired.
>>
File: wonsan_nk_2.jpg (2MB, 1824x2810px) Image search: [Google]
wonsan_nk_2.jpg
2MB, 1824x2810px
>>31505108
References.
>>
>>31477375
Oh god. I'd hate to have to actually play this one.
>>31477399
I really like this one, though.
>>
File: 1437778626350.gif (2MB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1437778626350.gif
2MB, 375x375px
>>31505108
>>31505120
>most of the buildings are nonfunctional dupes
Just like the real North Korea!
>>
>>31505108
>Battle Champion Kim Jong
>prize for winning is you and your whole extended family getting executed and the news reporting Kim Jong sweeping your team 6-0
>>
>>31505429
Glad someone understands the reasoning.
>>
>>31499978
>sound type
>>
>>31498850
I meant that at first glance it looks like it's walk able from South to North, especially with the bridges connecting the southern and northern landmass.
>>
>>31505823
>A typing formulated on the acoustic properties of different mediums, has a great array of moves, give lesser-used Pokémon a new niche, balances several type matchups, and balances several aspects of the game, such as the pixilate ability
Yes.
>>
>>31505928
I am still have trouble trying to figure out WHAT TO PUT IN THESE GODDAMN TOWNS.
I know thr move deleter, move relearner, name rater, various other npcs that do shit for your pokemon. But what are some other MUST HAVE npcs/establishments for cities/towns??? I'm lost here.
>>
File: 1480668500076.png (153KB, 722x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1480668500076.png
153KB, 722x1008px
I've just seen some shitty romhacks where the creator didnt even speak proper english. Yet the hacks were made. Is it really so fucking easy that literal retards can do it? I've never looked into the stuff but if its that easy then fuck me I'll do a hack myself too.
>>
>>31509491
That was my motivation to learn rpg maker. I played a fangame that was so pants on head retarded that I decided I could do this shit.
>>
File: Cutiefly.full.2014550.jpg (699KB, 2492x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Cutiefly.full.2014550.jpg
699KB, 2492x2500px
>>31509518
I kinda have an interest in this as I actually am so retarded that I couldnt learn rpg maker OR gamemaker. So maybe making shitty romhacks suits me better. Good luck for you though.
>>
>>31509491
>>31509538
RPG Maker is still easier than ROMhacking. A retard could make a bottom-of-the-barrel hack, but they could make the same bottom-of-the-barrel Essentials fangame in less time.

Essentials only starts becoming less viable if you want to make something that's actually good.
>>
>>31509687
Well fuck. I'm shit out of luck then. Of course I'll still look into rom making but its looking grim for a retard like me if its harder than even rpg maker.
>>
File: 1471313031489.jpg (96KB, 615x593px) Image search: [Google]
1471313031489.jpg
96KB, 615x593px
>>31509734
Don't worry about it, I'm pretty retarded and I can do basic hacking, just not anything involving me writing custom code. I can still do sprites, maps, scripts, music (well actually music takes a lot more energy from me than the other things, even though it's what I do most), etc., if I so want, and can also use custom code written by other people. If you hack a game with a working disassembly (Red/Blue, Yellow, and Crystal are about as good as they'll ever get and Ruby/Sapphire is moving fast) you don't even need to worry about shit like hex editing or finding extra space in the ROM (as long as you don't completely fill the ROM of course, and an amateur wouldn't be doing anything that could cause that).
>>
>>31509777
You basically just spoke gibberish to me, but I think I get what you mean. Lets see if I can make a rom hack worthy of a Nintendo take down.
>>
>>31509814
I'll try to explain those last few sentences a bit better.

A disassembly is reverse-engineering the game to its "source code." It's not literally the code Game Freak used to compile the game but it's functionally identical, and you can just edit these files and compile the game to get the changes you want. You don't have to worry about a game having hard-coded values that fuck you over and make changing something a living nightmare, the game moves its code around to accomodate your new code, to hyperbolize.

Since everything is in a regular text file (usually), editing basic things like stats and moves and such is trivial. If you wanted to do that with traditional hacking, you'd need to use a tool specialized for each of those things, possibly multiple, or even look at the game via a hex editor and manually find and change values to what you want, but with the disassembly you just open up the file that has the stuff you want to edit, and then just edit that. If you want to give your favorite Pokémon an extra +10 to its attack stat, you just go to its base stat file with a text editor like Notepad and change its stat, and you're good. Adding custom code that adds or heavily changes functions is also (relatively) easy since almost everything uses a variable instead of a hard number, and changing that variable will change that number everywhere in the code from what it was to what you want it. You can even copy/paste code used in other disassembly projects (assuming the author gives you permission) to add it to your hack, and publicly released source code in disassembly projects are becoming more popular, for Gen 2 at least.

RBY and Crystal both have "complete" disassemblies that can't be improved much further. RS has an in-progress disassembly that will likely usher in a new age of Gen 3 hacking when "complete" if Gen 3 hackers don't just all ignore it and stubbornly stick to their old methods.
>>
>>31504044
You don't even need coding I think. Just have a global switch called picked boy or something and have the events swap depending on if switch is on or off.
>>
>>31508182
Trade NPC, Emerald put one in each city iirc.

NPCs that give you rare items after beating a certain gym. A guy in Dewford gives you sludge bomb after the 5th gym battle. A woman in petalburg forest gives you a white herb after defeating wattson.

DEEPEST LORE NPCs

Battle Café, Like the fetish café in DPPt?

this is really hard holy shit
>>
Question: is there a way to make cutscenes? Cause so far, all I see are them being events when you reach some point, but they all have to involve the player.

I wanted to know if it's possible to, like, shift to somewhere else quickly, to show other people talking, then return.
>>
>>31510033
It's possible, but how easy it is I'm not sure. I know Dark Energy has a scene where the player is gone and you just watch NPCs talk before cutting back to the map where the player is, and that's Gen 2, so I'd assume Gen 3 can handle it.
>>
>>31501560
I was thinking the river sort of dries up towards the cape since it's tributary of the larger river flowing directly down elevation from Mt. Moon.
I'm also thinking the lagoon doesn't work with this map at all now. It's too cumbersome to work around, and Mt. Moon is so imposing it makes the lagoon look out of place. Another problem is what happens when the river experiences seasonal floods? Does the town flood? Probably. And who the hell opens a bike shop in a town built on sand? Ever ridden a bike in sand?
So the concept now goes back to my older drafts where Lt. Surge is here...and I'm out of ideas on that one. Can't stick the Power Plant here. If I turn the bridge into a dam, the PP has to be in town or close outside of it. That basically kills the route it's on. An engineering corps is the old idea, with Surge's gym at the PP, which is still being prepped for operation (it's to run the future magnet train and radio tower, right?)
Forgetting the issues in Cerulean, Vermillion is ripe for a lagoon - a big, sexy showpiece structure that can fit well in the bay and not crowd out the anything.
Mapping isn't easy when you're trying to do big, intricate bullshit.
>>
>>31510907
y
>>
>>31511133
force of habit
>>
>>31510067
You know what I found weird about your map is that Cerulean is not really a beach city, but more of a city build around a river.
>>
What exactly makes a game ''be'' edgy? I am trying to balance things out, but I'm pretty sure it will have its dark portions and stuff.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 391x320px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 391x320px
>>31511577
Maybe you could have an island on the river? Like pic related. Accessible with a footbridge or something.
>>
>>31512018
Gore, death, "the darkness in my soul", etc.

Don't overdo any dark parts and it shouldn't come across as edgy.
>>
>>31509491
Which ones? I'm always down for shitty hacks.
>>
>>31509875
How does maps editing work for disassembled games?
>>
>>31510033
Make the player invisible and put him somewhere where he can't move.
>>
File: concept mock up.png (61KB, 779x419px) Image search: [Google]
concept mock up.png
61KB, 779x419px
>>31512266
I put together a quick edit, but the thing still looks out of place, even as small as I could make it (Seafoam Island but with an opening) and moving the bridge to the furthest possible point.
No, I think I'm going back to the older concept and stick the lagoon in Vermillion - after all, the point of interest in Cerulean should be the Cave.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, anons. I thought it was a great concept, but it just wasn't working.
>>
>>31512517
Oh... that's simpler than I thought
>>
>>31512018
Young adult vampire fiction tier writing in a children's game about fantasy cock-fighting leagues.
You don't need romance, vengeance, insanity, psychopathic bullshit, or anything that normally went into an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I think some cosmic horror elements can be incorporated if done well, but those usually aren't done well even in adult fiction.
What you really want is a villain who wants to accomplish something for a reason and get way in over his head, or a villain who wants to steal something for a reason and keeps failing. Sex and violence is the last thing I want to see in my nostalgic return to innocence after a day exposed to relentless sex and violence in the rest of my media.
You want death, ghost characters, romance? Go build a dating sim story game. Pokemon is nothing more than a glorified super-pet simulator - that's what I like about it, that's why I play it. It can have mystery, it can have competition, it can have friendship and aesops about conservation and some hippie buddhist bullshit and that's fine - but don't think you're going to write third-rate Steven King fan fiction in Pokemon and end up with something good. Of course, with you degenerates it'll probably be based off some sort of anime crap that makes bad western direct to streaming shows look like high art.
>>
>>31481576
The pokemon colosseum hack is actually better.
The game gets too many overpowered shadow pokemon packed at the end and that's not super interesting.
But overall both are very good.
>>
When are the rom hack of sun/moon dropping? like Star saphire and such.
>>
>>31494268
Damn I love this.
>>
>>31513102
There has been one since the end of 2016, search for "Pokémon rising sun and waning moon".
>>
How to hack 3ds for recording/streaming without spending $250+ for a capture card
>>
>>31512618
Biggest problem is more that writing gets really forced when you employ most of these themes.

Most of those stuff could really work well if it was by taking time to make decent buildups or stuff like that. Hell, you can even put a gorey massacre in a story and it won't be exactly edgy if you know how to do it. Problem is that most of the people that do fangames are designers, not writers. They can pull off gameplay and do maps, but writing a story isn't something they trained well.
>>
>>31513323
If you have a n3ds, you can do it with NTR and kit-kat. But keep in mind that it will have a bit lower quality than a capture card and you'll want a good router to do it well. Still worth it, though.
>>
>>31513223
Post cia
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
79KB, 716x768px
>>31513385
>>
>>31513562
post big cia for me
>>
>>31509942
I know. I'll figure something out :'(
>>
>>31510067
>And who the hell opens a bike shop in a town built on sand? Ever ridden a bike in sand?
I like that you're being honest with yourself. Lol
>>
File: ImCIA[1].jpg (2MB, 4000x5639px) Image search: [Google]
ImCIA[1].jpg
2MB, 4000x5639px
>>31513604
>>
>>31513750
are there any louds of cia/little finger?
>>
>>31512500
Map editing is basically the only thing that you need an external tool to do easily in Gen 2 (and Gen 1 and 3, I assume, I've never tried map editing in either of those). Crowdmap is a good editor in Gen 2 for disassembly map editing.
>>
Could someone injectme a HP Fire magnemite? I could trade a japanese 6IV ditto, and a 6IV shiny litten for it, thanks!
>>
>>31514190
This thread is for ROM hacking, not save injection. /ekx/ has what you're looking for.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/encounter-team-swamp-executive

https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/victory-team-swamp

Updated these two
>>
>>31514209
Whats the story in the game?
>>
Dead thread.
>>
Anyone knows of a way to use an external IDE to edit the RPG Maker scripts? Or at the very least a way to set breakpoints?

I'm getting really fucking fed up with rmxp's shitty editor.
>>
>>31516527
>300+ Replies
>Dead thread
Baka. It's just run its course. I'm surprised it still hasn't archived.
>>
>>31516724
yeah, thread is almost a week old now
>>
>>31514692
In the story, you are the child of two famous Pokémon researchers: your mother a Pokémon breeder and your father a Pokémon geneticist.
A prodigy, you easily excelled in all of your classes at the Pokémon Academy and the school decided that you would be best off studying in the field rather than the classroom.
Your father is given a new job opportunity in a nearby region, and is given three tickets to take you and your mother as well. However, your mother decides to stay to tend to a particularly sick Pokémon. She instead gives her ticket to your childhood friend, Julie, who is an aspiring Pokémon Nurse and aide to your mother.

To help keep you company, she lets you choose one of her three healthy Pokémon to take with you: the Grass-type Cubush, the Fire-type Stegruff, or the Water-type Conoro.

Once in the new region, the three of you are shuttled off to a research facility in a booming metropolis filled with amazing technological marvels. Your father is given the task of developing a new robot, which is to keep the city under nightly watch from a group of criminals called Team Swamp.
Team Swamp have been linked to the disappearances of both people and Pokémon, and your father's employer is dead-set on stopping them from causing any more trouble.
>>
>>31481685
Good to hear from you! I haven't gotten too much done recently either, and there'll be a 3.0 beta release before the actual one to help clear out the bugs.

Sounds pretty good so far! There are two short but abrupt pauses around 0:03-0>04 and 0:06-0:07 that sound kind of like a record skipping, since there's not even a track playing in the background. Might be true to the original, but it's more noticable with the limited GBC audio.

>>31502602
Not a bad idea, but having Yellow Forest west of Cianwood (in place of the HGSS Safari Zone) is already written into the side plot. And if it were moved, I don't have anything that could replace it (there's already the Safari Zone in Fuchsia).
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.