[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Nintendo just take down Pokemon simulator/smogon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
Why doesn't Nintendo just take down Pokemon simulator/smogon
>>
because someone would put it right back up before the sun sets
>>
>>31430923
Because they're not that mentally retarded
Yes they are as or more autistic than most all of us here but even they're not that stupid to shut down something that lets people practice the meta.

Just like Netplay Melee.
>>
>>31430923
No reason to. It's been around since forever and isn't exactly hurting the sales. Taking that down is the same as taking down a Pokemon image board.
>>
>>31430941
>>31430947

But it uses assets from the game and infringes copyright.
>>
The fanbase would go nuclear
Also Game Freak doesn't care about the Smogon Meta
Also this measure would be done presumably to bring compfags back to the real games, an audience they also don't care about because they will never be pleased by the games they're making
>>
>>31430965
Well, they don't seem to care for some reason
>>
>>31430965
In what? Bulbapedia uses assets from games, such as models and sprites.
These things fall under fair use.
>>
>>31430947
Because fanmade games hurt their sales ? Most normies don't even know they exist
>>
>>31431017
Fanmade game is still a full game. It would normally fall under fair use, but Nintendo is just being a bitch with those.
>>
You can't sue a fragmented community
>>
-Showdown is open source which makes it 10000x harder to remove from the internet
-It probably can be argued as a fair use case which Nintendo has done enough of a good job looking like assholes over that
-Lose a lot of fans as competitive pokemon continues to grow in popularity
>>
>>31430923
because is like asked "why fifa not ban all football outside his tournaments" because they know is a better way to get costumers to his product
>>
>>31430923
I imagine there have been several meetings at TPCI regarding the effect of Battle Simulators on their sales that have come to the conclusion that removing it would cause more drama with the community and alienate dedicated fans, many of whom are the type to buy lots of extra merch, which is where they get a huge portion of money.
>>
>>31431017
>showdown
>fanmade game
???
>>
>>31431163
Gets me thinking, Pokehacks uses the code from the games as a backbone right? If Prism was built from the ground-up then can Nintendo force a C&D on them?
>>
>>31430941
Not surprised. I think Masuda knows about Prism and didn't seem to mind at all. Nintendo is what I believe everyone needs to watch out for.
>>
Their own country's fanbase not playing it probably has something to do with it. I don't think they quite understand how much impact showdown has in the west.

It's pretty stupid that fan games like Prism get taken down but a game that literally copies the battles of the real games is free to do what it wants
>>
>>31432999
It wasn't built from the ground up. It's literally a patch to a crystal Rom
>>
>>31430923
probably because it's just the battles and nothing else.
>>
>>31430990
>>31431032
>>31431163
You have no idea how fair use works. Bulbaped would probably fall under it but there's little argument that showdown does and not a very good one with fangames

Even just reading the Wikipedia article on fair use would tell you that, you should do it sometime. I think both SHOULD fall under it, but they almost certainly wouldn't outside of specific cirumcstances for the latter
>>
>>31435537
Not him, but why do you care so fucking much?

It's a battle sim, it's not hurting anybody, and if Nintendo/TPCi really cared that much then it would've been taken down long ago.

Live and let live, anon.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.