[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon MMORPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: wzpoiuhg.png (21KB, 230x898px) Image search: [Google]
wzpoiuhg.png
21KB, 230x898px
Pokemon MMORPG
>>
friendly reminder that there are people here RIGHT NOW who unironically think a Pokemon MMO would be a good idea.
>>
>>31429196
Care to explain why it wouldn't? No, seriously, I'm curious.
>>
File: 1474450223028.png (324KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1474450223028.png
324KB, 700x700px
>>31429128
>Dragon
>>
>>31429218
He'll probably respond with a litany of complaints about how the Pokemon games wouldn't work as an MMO, despite the fact that if you were to embark on such a project you would obviously restructure the way the game works to conform better to an MMO model.

The only truly legitimate thing I can see being an issue no matter what the situation is the fact the target audience is small kids, and it's a nightmare to moderate a community like that.
>>
File: 1484663000761.png (3MB, 1795x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1484663000761.png
3MB, 1795x1656px
>>31429218
>game revolving around turn-based battles
>MMO
pic related.

>>31429261
pretty much everyone shit on GO when it tried to do that
>>
>>31429297
>Go
>Pokémon MMO
>>
>>31429297
>Pokemon Go
>MMO
Go is an augmented reality game with quasi-multiplayer elements (you can't even interact with other players in any way in the current version of the game)

It's also a shitty mobile game so it was doomed to be P2W garbage from day 1. Well, that's actually giving it too much credit- that would imply there's any actual gameplay in Go.
>>
I always thought it would be a cool idea to have a pokemon game like club penguin for kids.
>>
>>31429261
Also it's way too big of a risk that would kill the franchise if it was a flop. Plus that would possibly mean no main game series
>>
File: capture5.png (568KB, 567x493px) Image search: [Google]
capture5.png
568KB, 567x493px
>>31429351
>Plasma Republic
I'd be down.
>>
XY and ORAS were heading in a MMO direction, but they kind of backed off with SM.
>>
File: 51030781_p0.jpg (143KB, 392x445px) Image search: [Google]
51030781_p0.jpg
143KB, 392x445px
How young do you have to be to think Pokemon would do well as an MMO?
>>
>>31429196
There's people here right now who don't know about PokeMMO and how awesome it is.
>>
>>31429403
https://pokemmo.eu/
try it, it's free
>>
>>31429398
We've been wanting that before you got old enough to shitpost on 18+ boards.
>>
>>31429403
>>31429420
Never felt an urge to play FR with random people. Shitty idea and poor execution
>>
Pokemon's "collect 'em all" mentality is like, tailor-made for MMOs.

However it would need to be structured very differently from the core games (duh). Rare Pokemon themselves would need to be raid rewards in addition to maybe hold items, or even stat boosters (Protein etc) to encourage a slow grind to max out a given Pokemon. Obviously there would be stat caps so you can't just feed something forever.

That's just a random idea I came up with in 5 seconds, so I'm sure it has its flaws. It's not that hard to think of other ways to try it if you aren't totally lacking in imagination.

Obviously it would never happen though, because of the aforementioned community management issues and the fact that its laughable to think the GF we've come to know would be able to keep up a steady stream of content for an MMO.
>>
Isn't there a pokemon MMO already out there for mobile devices?
That one chinese pokemon that uses the XY models and has ridiculous HP numbers.
>>
>>31429598
Yeah it's called Hey Monster. Never tried it myself, but it looks surprisingly competent. Amazing that it hasn't been taken off app stores.
>>
>>31429386
Sounds fun as fuck
>>
>>31429386
>>31429351
Instead of puffles you can have you're favorite pokemon walk beside you.
>>
>>31429539
>grind raids for good Pokemon
>grind raids for good items
>grind raids for stat boosts
Good idea.
>>
>>31429128
What sort of job is Dragon? What role would it fulfill?
>>
>>31429539
>pokemon
>raid rewards

Oh, I'm also sure it has it's flaws.

Too bad they are on the very concept of a Pokemon MMO. Want to see the closest you can get? Look up the Tibia Pokemon servers, it's essentially a catch 'em all game where the battles are literally dice rolls and have the tactical depth of a shallow puddle. What happens is that while exploring the map and finding rare pokemon is good for some, the fact that you have basically nowhere to use them is bad for others.

Now, to think of a WoW clone pokemon MMO?Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>31429716
Ever played an MMO senpai? They're pretty much all like that, they just vary in how good they are at covering up the grind so you think you're having fun.

Well I guess you could try the sandbox MMO approach, despite the fact there's been all of, like, one sandbox MMO that's been successful.
>>
>>31429435
>We've
Aren't your highschool exams coming up? You better start studying.
>>
>>31429784
It could be done
But with the pokemon mystery dungeon series as a base
>>
File: 1484704220957.jpg (41KB, 487x435px) Image search: [Google]
1484704220957.jpg
41KB, 487x435px
>>31429806
>monolingual american trying to be smug
>>
>>31429784
I don't get why some of you guys point to fan-made efforts made on shoestring budgets to prove how an Pokemon MMO would be a bad idea.

And obviously copying WoW directly would be pretty dumb, ultimately what I'm getting at is that all MMOs survive via a carrot-on-stick mentality, and there's plenty of elements already extant in Pokemon that can be used as such. The form that would take to be effective is where the brainstorming lies.
>>
>>31429492
How could they do it better with what they have? PokeMMO is just a mod for Emerald/FRLG that allows you to play with other people. I'd say the idea is just as good as you can you with a Pokémon MMO and the execution is just as much as you can do.
>>
so how about a pokemon mmo that has all the regions we've seen so far? including regions from spin-off games, whatever, the point is to build a huge world with tons of places to explore.

now, what if all the regions were expanded? like kanto with more towns, routes and bigger cities. you can start in any region and be from whatever town you choose.

this mmo would be open world, that means you don't follow a linear route until you reach the e4. basic HMs (cut, surf, rock smash, strenght...) are available from the beggining, as an alternative you can use rented mons like in SM.

point is, you start in whatever town/city you want and you explore the region from there. you get a starter (can be one of the classic ones or you can get another one, idk) and start your adventure.

>what about gyms or story?
how about gyms are "optional"? and i mean that you don't have to beat them in order to move forward, but you still need to beat them in order to travel to another regions. the E4 would be optional and some of the online element would enter here.

for those who have read the Pokespe manga, you know that the E4 is a mix between the ashnime and the games. ill explain: if you don't have the 8 badges, you can still enter the E4, but its a tournament like in the anime, so you'd have to face other players (all your mons would be lvl 50 or something like that). the winner gets to challenge the E4 and the champion. if you have the 8 badges you can still enter the tournament, but its optional, you can go straight to the E4+champ

>how about the npc trainers and wild pokemon, faggot?
If you played, FFTactics, they have this system where the npc battles are adjusted to your level, so you could go back to the first town and be in a fight with level 60 enemies that could kick your ass (which adds some kind of challenge since you're not god-tier all the time). anyway, the game could make an average level based on the level of your team (i know that is problematic)

CONT
>>
>>31430183
wild pokemon would be 5 to 10 levels lower than your team and random trainers 3 levels low to 2 levels up.

>no story?
instead of the story of "you are this super talented trainer who kicks ass, beats gyms, saves the world and becomes champion", what about "you're just some faggot traveling around with your pokebros, maybe your friends and making rivals"? instead of telling stories like always, you could take quests/ministories from npcs (kinda like Lillie, where you're mostly just there watching her shit and all that). doing them would give you rewards, but you can still skip them and just do your thing (although, there should be a few "main" and obligatory quests to not make the game boring).

you and your friends would be able to travel each on their own (instead of being forced to take one route) and then meet in any place whenever you want. the same way you could make rivals, participate in contests, create clans/teams and all that shit

i guess that covers the basic. still, a game like that would require a bunch of mmo and rpg features to enhance the experience. raids, legendary mons quests, online contests, battle tower, searching certain mons for the prof of your region. i thought about a few features and i posted them in another thread.

>giant wild mons/boss pokemon
remember that giant gengar in the anime? scared my shit when i was a kid. whatever, how about boss pokemon like that? im talking about wild mons with tons of HP and a defense that you can't one-shot. not like totems, you'd need a team of three to take those giants down.

>training moves outside battle
lets say you want to use your favorite shitmon in this game, but its really weak. how about some minigame where you can interact with your shitmon and make certain move more powerful/raise more stats? it'd be disabled in online battles, but just as a gimmicky way to interact with your team

CONT
>>
>>31430300
>dojos
talking about making cities bigger... imagine these new places in cities/towns where there are npcs/wild mons, but every pokemon you battle there increases certain EV. basically places to train EVs without worrying about finding the wrong mons. six dojos in total

... and that's it, i think. ive been thinking about how a pokemon mmo would work, so i had to say it. PokeMMO has a good idea, but theyre limited to GBA games. still, i think the idea of playing in the map with a bunch of people at the same time and having the ability to challenge randoms you find, making teams and organizing tournaments is cool. its market system is also interesting, since people is farming for items to sell and get money. breeders sell mons for competitive play, but they''re expensive as shit, so you can breed yourself or buy them to some other player. i like that.
>>
If we're just throwing ideas at the wall, an open-world, sandbox MMO has no reason to limit people to being Pokemon Trainers. You can be a Breeder or Contest Performer, etc.

Take a page from EVE's basic concept and partition out an open space area where people can build towns, daycares, and their own gyms, potentially forming their own leagues. Since it would need to be contested area by design, you would also need to hire officers to protect yourself from evil teams other people decided to form.

Easier said than done of course, there's a lot of moving parts in that idea and it would be really hard to get right.
>>
>>31430432
yeah, but you'd had to rework pokemon's core to the point of feeling more like a spinoff (it'd be a spinoff but you get the idea). also, i don't see a reason for anyone wanting to be a breeder or anything else since forming your league or being a gym leader would restrict you.

so... how about gaining titles?

doing things or achieving certain tasks to get perks? you start as a pokemon trainer, but you can choose a speciality and later a "job" or profession. something like that
>>
>>31430531
>i don't see a reason for anyone wanting to be a breeder
Real life competitive scenes have people who breed (well, sometimes gen) 'mons for the talented battlers, and plenty of people say they enjoy breeding in the games as-is, I imagine it would attract even more people if they made it a more complex system. Breeding would basically be a Pokemon MMO's replacement for crafting.

Lots of sandbox MMOs had people RPing merchants or whatnot simply because it was something you could do.
>>
>>31430566
sure, i get that. PokeMMO does the crafting part very well imo: you can buy berries from the online market and extract seeds from them, so you can farm for more berries, especially competitive berries and sell them.

same goes for breeding. there are people who create natured 6x31 competitive mons and sell them for millions. you can get a lot of money by just selling items (there are other people who farm everstones)

still, i guess people would have to start as pokemon trainers and then (using my idea of an open world) go and become breeders without needing to do much, other than going to the place and filling the requirements. same could apply for other professions.

this mmo idea could add "materials" to craft certain items that you could only get once or twice during regular gameplay. TMs for example: like buying an empty CD, equipping it to one of your mons and during a fight with a wild pokemon you record that move in a new TM
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.