[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question /vp/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images (6).jpg (11KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
11KB, 299x168px
I realize it's a meme to call one another autists on this board, but I have a serious question. My nephew was diagnosed with mild to severe autism about a year ago, and despite his cognitive abilities being lacking, the little guy never ceases to amaze me. My question is this: Would playing Pokemon help him with coping? He's still pretty young, but in a year or two, would buying him a 2ds and Pokemon help him in any way?
>>
>>31412523
You'll be advancing his autism to a whole other level.
>>
TL;DR could Pokemon genuinely help someone with autism cope
>>
>>31412523
It helps us all to cope with pretty much everything. No, but seriously, it depends on what kind of games your nephew likes, but overall I think he can get hooked.

My childhood was kinda shitty and lonely, I remember playing Emerald all day and it was awesome, even if I had no friends to play with.
>>
>>31412583
We're only aware so far that he likes the show and the toys, we haven't given him access to devices barring phones playing YouTube videos. The next time I visit I may bring my old SP and see how he enjoys it
>>
>>31412547
Unironically, this.

It gives them a neat little box with little boxes inside of it to sort things out and find everything out about it.

He'll probably start learning all of the mechanics, memorize all of the Pokémon, memorize the locations of items, start with competitive once he discovers it, etc. He could regress into it pretty far.

However, it might also give him something to talk to his classmates about, and if he's good enough to play in one of the regional championships or whatever, he'll very likely be able to socialize in a comfortable space.

I think it would be good to give it to him anyway, though, OP, because if you sate it a little and pull him out of any slumps he might come across, it could be for the better.

source: I'm autistic
>>
>>31412613
Ah, I never thought about how it could make him regress. Right now my sister has only been throwing on movies he likes and sitting her ass on the couch, so I don't think it could do much more damage, now that I think about it. It'll be better for him, I think, to have some sort of challenge rather than watch a screen move
>>
>>31412668
I believe so, too. Besides, autistic children are very stubborn. You have to play a game of give and take. Just be careful to not spoil him or let him get away with whatever he wants, that causes the worst case scenarios that everyone fears.
>>
>>31412693
Thanks man, I believe that answers my question. Once he's a bit older I'll get him a system and make sure to sit down with my sister and make sure she interacts with him and doesn't let him hide away in his device.
Thread over, I guess. Thanks guys!
>>
>>31412523
Autistic children struggle to socialize, so IMHO anything you do to help him should be focused that way. So don't just give him the game, be sure to play regularly with him, battle against him, teach him about the games, this kind of thing.

You might also consider asking /mcg/ (Minecraft General on /vg/), since Minecraft is also the kind of game that attracts autists and can have a huge multiplayer focus. Just make sure to say it's for a kid, otherwise they'll want your nephew to play a bunch of industrial mods.
>>
>>31412744
Thanks a ton anon, I didn't even think about Minecraft. I'm kind of excited to introduce him to everything, I hope it helps him learn how to socialize
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.